View Full Version : Reagan Son Claims Dad Had Alzheimer's as President

CueSi
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Reagan Son Claims Dad Had Alzheimer's as President

By PAUL BEDARD
Posted: January 14, 2011
USNews.com/blogs

EXCERPT:

2011 is a big year for Ronald Reagan fans, being the centennial of his February 6 birth in Tampico, Ill. But youngest son Ron Reagan is spoiling the good cheer with a new book that suggests the Gipper suffered from Alzheimer's disease while in the White House, a claim dismissed by Reagan's doctors and outside experts. "Had the diagnosis been made in, say, 1987, would he have stepped down?" Ron asks, regarding the disease confirmed in 1994. "I believe he would have," he writes in My Father At 100: A Memoir, due in bookstores Tuesday.

In addition to challenging the former president's doctors, Ron also reports for the first time that Reagan, right after falling off a horse six months out of the White House, underwent brain surgery, denied by Reagan associates.

Let's start with the Alzheimer's diagnosis. It was announced in 1994. While it prompted some to suggest they knew Reagan had the disease as president, his four White House doctors said they saw no evidence of it. But Ron, who became a liberal and atheist, disappointing his dad, suggests he saw hints of confusion and "an out-of-touch president" during the 1984 campaign and again in 1986, when his father couldn't recall the names of California canyons he was flying over. Arguing his case in the book, Ron adds that doctors today know that the disease can be in evidence before being recognized. "The question, then, of whether my father suffered from the beginning stages of Alzheimer's while in office more or less answers itself," he writes. [See a gallery of caricatures of Reagan and other pols.]

The Rest of the Story (http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/01/14/reagan-son-claims-dad-had-alzheimers-as-president)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~QC

CueSi
01-16-2011, 04:53 PM
It's official. I don't think that boy came from Ronaldus Magnus' line. What a disgusting little bint.

~QC

CaughtintheMiddle1990
01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
It's official. I don't think that boy came from Ronaldus Magnus' line. What a disgusting little bint.

~QC

"After his diagnosis, letters of support from well-wishers poured into his California home,[243] but there was also speculation over how long Reagan had demonstrated symptoms of mental degeneration.[244] Former CBS White House correspondent Lesley Stahl recalls an interview when he was president where "a vacant Reagan barely seemed to realize anyone else was in the room," and that before he "reemerged into alertness" she recalls that "I had come that close to reporting that Reagan was senile."[245] However, Dr. Lawrence K. Altman, a physician employed as a reporter for the New York Times, noted that "the line between mere forgetfulness and the beginning of Alzheimer's can be fuzzy"[246] and all four of Reagan's White House doctors said that they saw no evidence of Alzheimer's while he was president.[246] Dr. John E. Hutton, Reagan's primary physician from 1984 to 1989, said the president "absolutely" did not "show any signs of dementia or Alzheimer's".[246] Reagan did experience occasional memory lapses, though, especially with names.[246] Once, while meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone, he repeatedly referred to Vice President Bush as "Prime Minister Bush".

It's nothing to be ashamed of or angry about. The toll of the office, plus his age, might've been overwhelming. I mean my own hero, FDR, was beginning to be out of it mentally by his last full term; I'll openly admit it. His numerous health problems made him very physically weak and even lead to moments of mental weakness.
I don't think anyone believes that Reagan was a drooling moron while in office, but given that he began having obvious symptoms of Alzheimers in 1992, it's not that difficult to think he might've been unwell for some time prior.

I don't believe it was during his first term. If anything, it might've begun very slowly around 1987 or so.

Bubba Dawg
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I guess this (putting something sensational in it) is the only way to sell his book.

And if Ronald Reagan had been my father there is no way in hell I would have written that in a book even if it had honestly been my opinion.

In any case, I doubt the veracity of this claim made by him.

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 05:22 PM
This has been refuted and proven wrong by many doctors over the years.

Apache
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I guess this (putting something sensational in it) is the only way to sell his book.

And if Ronald Reagan had been my father there is no way in hell I would have written that in a book even if it had honestly been my opinion.

In any case, I doubt the veracity of this claim made by him.

Reagan's kids are polar opposites of their father. To try and poke holes through his legacy is right up Ronnie's alley.

Apache
01-16-2011, 05:27 PM
This has been refuted and proven wrong by many doctors over the years.

Repeat a lie long enough...

Given Ron's feelings toward his father, this won't carry much weight.

fettpett
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Like to hear Micheal Regan's take on his brothers book.

CueSi
01-16-2011, 05:40 PM

I as well. Sometimes Micheal Reagan is a bit too blustery for me, but he has defended his father's legacy admirably.

~QC

Kay
01-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Both Ron and Patty Reagan seemed to hate everything their father stood for.

I think it's pathetic for Ron to come out with something like this after all these years.
He's just looking for a way to sell more books, but it's going to backfire. I wouldn't
read it if it were given to me for free.

Yukon
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
If Ron Jr says his father had the disease than there probably is some truth to what he says. His comments should not be dismissed outright simply because you dont like them. Ron, Jr. knows better than any of you.

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 08:05 PM
If Ron Jr says his father had the disease than there probably is some truth to what he says. His comments should not be dismissed outright simply because you dont like them. Ron, Jr. knows better than any of you.

Ron junior didn't like his father my son!

Yukon
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Ron junior didn't like his father my son!

Is this factual or simply something the media has conjured?

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM

No this is quite true, investigate it for yourself.

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Also as a good Christian you know that he should honor his father according to scripture.

Yukon
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Ron Reagan, Junior supported gay marriage, stem cell research, never voted republican and was an outspoken athiest. I suppose those issues were enough for his father to dislike him but I like to believe there was only anything disagreement between them. Ron Sr is dead so we'll will never know for certain.

Constitutionally Speaking
01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
He very well might have had some near the end of his last term. But even if he did, he STILL was far better than any President we have had in my memory.

Yukon
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
JFK was your best President in my lifetime. FDR was probably the greatest ever.

Beefeater
01-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Ya know what would really pizz me off if I was MOONBAT? If Ronald Regan did have Alzheimer's how do you explain his cleaning up of Carter's mess and being many times sharper mentally and more effective than oblabla?

What does that say about the democrat party in general?

Yukon
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Ya know what would really pizz me off if I was MOONBAT? If Ronald Regan did have Alzheimer's how do you explain his cleaning up of Carter's mess and being many times sharper mentally and more effective than oblabla?

I dont know.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM

~QC

I think Reagan's level of intelligence is a bit overrated.
He was great for soundbites, though. Created the whole Soundbite Presidency, really.

Yukon
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM
I dont think many of you are old enough to remember the Reagan era or the Carter era.

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
I dont think many of you are old enough to remember the Reagan era or the Carter era.

The only thing that is missed from that presidency was Billy pissing on the runway!

Beefeater
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM

You could have stopped at "I don't think".

I was just out of boot when that little liberal, progressive, hateful commie bastard shot Kennedy.

01-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Speak for yourself. :o

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Are you an old guy too?:confused::eek:

CueSi
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I think Reagan's level of intelligence is a bit overrated.
He was great for soundbites, though. Created the whole Soundbite Presidency, really.

Reagan had emotional intelligence and the ability to relate, which you see in Democrats like Clinton, and even Bush the Younger. Some experts say that's even more important than book learnin'. ;)

~QC

CaughtintheMiddle1990
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Reagan had emotional intelligence and the ability to relate, which you see in Democrats like Clinton, and even Bush the Younger. Some experts say that's even more important than book learnin'. ;)

~QC

I prefer a combination of emotional intelligence AND intellectual intelligence.
Some of our leaders have had that combination, like FDR and JFK. Both warm, ingratiating personalities while also rather intelligent.
Others, like Nixon, had strictly intellectual intelligence--Nixon was probably one of the most brilliant to serve in office [especially in modern times], personal flaws aside. But he wasn't very warm. I read a book called the Patriot's History of America, and in it said that

1) Nixon used many of the same tactics in fighting Watergate that Clinton did in fighting the Lewinsky Scandal
2) Nixon's crimes weren't that high, he was misled and lied to by John Dean about the nature of the Watergate break in and was given a false reason to 'cover it up' (the book claims Dean told him the break in was a matter of national security, which was a lie. The book also claims Dean orchaestrated the break in for his own reasons, unrelated to Nixon)
3) Clinton only won the impeachment battle because he was friendly with his own party, and had the media behind him. Nixon was unpopular with both the liberals and conservatives of his party, HUGELY unpopular with the Democratic Party, and the media was out to get him.

Reagan, Clinton, Bush II, they may all have had that personal touch, that warmth...But I feel it comes off as bullshit. Whether it's Clinton saying, "I feel your pain", or Reagan's "Morning Again in America", or Bush's "Compassionate Conservatism"--It's all buzzwords, catchphrases, and nonsense. It's dumbed down our political rhetoric so that catchphrases, soundbites and slogans have more importance than actual promises or policy talks.

Take for a prime example Obama's "Hope & Change" mantra. Nice slogan...No substance to it.

Bubba Dawg
01-16-2011, 10:10 PM

~QC

President Reagan also had character and conviction.

Bubba Dawg
01-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Me too....:D

Kay
01-16-2011, 11:43 PM

I think you grossly under estimated the average age here grandpa.

Reagan was the first POTUS that I got to vote for.
I remember the Carter years very well.

Rockntractor
01-16-2011, 11:48 PM

Especially that last year with our people needlessly held hostage in Tehran because of a nutless peanut farmer president.

Phillygirl
01-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Based on his eventual diagnosis and decline, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the early affects of it may have started while he was in the White House. That doesn't mean that he necessarily had diminished capacity with regards to his duties, however, he may have been more tired than he normally was; he may have had some forgetfulness regarding every day things, etc. I don't think it's the big deal that those that want to tarnish him would try to make it out to be.

PoliCon
01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Ronny is broke and this book is a way for him to make some cash.

lacarnut
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM

Plus being a first class asshole. His importance to the left has been used up. Poor baby.

Rockntractor
01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Based on his eventual diagnosis and decline, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the early affects of it may have started while he was in the White House. That doesn't mean that he necessarily had diminished capacity with regards to his duties, however, he may have been more tired than he normally was; he may have had some forgetfulness regarding every day things, etc. I don't think it's the big deal that those that want to tarnish him would try to make it out to be.

His Doctors and staff all say no, but hey let's listen to his son who is making a living out of trying to tear down everything he stood for an believed in.

lacarnut
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM

I would be surprised if you were right.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
His Doctors and staff all say no, but hey let's listen to his son who is making a living out of trying to tear down everything he stood for an believed in.

Well his doctors said he started showing overt signs in 1992...Is it really that hard to think he might've had subtle signs--Some forgetfulness, trouble with names--In 1987 or 1988? Alzheimer's isn't an overnight thing. It's insidious, slow, gradual.

NJCardFan
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
I'll be 46 in June shitdick so guess again.

lacarnut
01-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Well his doctors said he started showing overt signs in 1992...Is it really that hard to think he might've had subtle signs--Some forgetfulness, trouble with names--In 1987 or 1988? Alzheimer's isn't an overnight thing. It's insidious, slow, gradual.

We have half a brain Biden as VP. How scary would that be if something happened to Obama.

I do not understand why dip-shits like you are fixated on this topic. I guess throwing dirt on a cold grave is your bag.

Zathras
01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
I dont think.

Yes Pukeon, we know

Zathras
01-17-2011, 04:15 AM

So do I, serving in the US Navy under Carter and Reagan.

Carter must be happy as a pig in shit now that he's no longer the worst president America's ever had, thanks to Obumbles.

Phillygirl
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM

That too.

Apache
01-17-2011, 09:28 AM
That too.

Only that...

01-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Are you an old guy too?:confused::eek:

Are you calling me OLD!! :mad:

Rockntractor
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Are you calling me OLD!! :mad:

It took you long enough to answer gramps!:D

Phillygirl
01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Only that...

Maybe. I have a friend going through it with her husband right now. The symptoms have been there for awhile, but it's only gotten really noticeable recently. To the casual observer, it's not necessarily evident, and he can still function quite well, in his element. But he has it, and it's time for him to retire. I can imagine that the President had some of the symptoms before it became medically noticeable. I don't agree with what his son is doing, and I think it's for all the wrong reasons, but I can't say that it wasn't there earlier than what was diagnosed or reported.

Kay
01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Michael Reagan was on Hannity tonight. He said the last time he spoke to Ron was right after the reading of their Dad's will. He said this was absolutely not true, and if Ron had been around his Dad a little more often at the time he would have known. He didn't have anything good to say about him and was angered by the whole thing.

Phillygirl
01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Michael appears to be a very good man. I saw him on some interviews shortly have his father's death. Since he was adopted, he seemed to be very grateful at having been "given" the Reagan name and seemed duty bound to uphold it. Loyalty is a pretty key quality that I respect and value a lot. Michael has earned that.

SaintLouieWoman
01-18-2011, 10:13 AM

He was on Fox last night. He said he hasn't seen his brother for years and is extremely upset about it. Ronnie Reagan is a disgusting son.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Alzheimer's might have been developing while Reagan was still in office. It generally takes many years before it's recognized. My mom had dementia, whether Alzheimer's or vascular dementia, from the number of TIA's that she had. I saw little signs that it was coming, but it took a long time before it was diagnosed by her doctors. She passed a physical where they were checking it a few years before it became painfully apparent that something was really wrong.

I hope no one buys that piece of trash book. He's a disgrace to his father's memory.

Yukon
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
He said, she said. I dont think you people will ever agree with anything Ron, Jr. says - he was a liberal thinking man and that alone is enough to discredit anything he says or does as far as Conservatives are concerned. I mean you people even believe Bush, Jr.s discredited claim of WMD in Iraq. What more can I say ?

Rockntractor
01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
He said, she said. I dont think you people will ever agree with anything Ron, Jr. says - he was a liberal thinking man and that alone is enough to discredit anything he says or does as far as Conservatives are concerned. I mean you people even believe Bush, Jr.s discredited claim of WMD in Iraq. What more can I say ?

Not a thing, go away now.

noonwitch
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
There may be some truth to Reagan having some alzheimer's related issues in his second term, but I really don't see much to be gained at this point by bringing it up. I didn't like his policies much, but find the manner of his death to be particularly tragic, considering he was greatly loved for his communication skills.

Yukon
01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
There may be some truth to Reagan having some alzheimer's related issues in his second term, but I really don't see much to be gained at this point by bringing it up. I didn't like his policies much, but find the manner of his death to be particularly tragic, considering he was greatly loved for his communication skills.

I agree noonwitch. It is indeed a terrible disease. My hope is that through advances in Stem Cell Research this terrible disease will be eradicated. You are a wise woman noonwitch - your comments are worthy.

fettpett
01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree noonwitch. It is indeed a terrible disease. My hope is that through advances in Stem Cell Research this terrible disease will be eradicated. You are a wise woman noonwitch - your comments are worthy.

be careful noonwitch, you got a compliment from our new resident troll

Yukon
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
The only thing that is missed from that presidency was Billy pissing on the runway!

I liked Billy Carter - very colourful. A bit of trvia for you. My wife and I were in Plaines GA in 1978 summer if memory serves and I actually bought a 6 pack of Billy Bear - unfortunately I drank it, its worth a small fortune today.

Apache
01-18-2011, 12:04 PM
its worth a small fortune today.

Only to those who want it AND if you consider $100 a "small fortune"...

lacarnut
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
He said, she said. I dont think you people will ever agree with anything Ron, Jr. says -

I will take Michael Reagan word over Ron's any-day plus Ron was a big disappointment to his father.

I guess you are too stupid to respond to my post about Canadians shooting wolves from planes and helicopters.

Lager
01-18-2011, 12:13 PM

You made the ridiculous claim earlier, that because you were a liberal, you were more of an "independent" thinker. Yet everything you've said has clearly indicated a wholesale acceptance of the catechism of liberal talking points. Your comic euphemism of "fetal tissue" is the most telling example, and now this about stem cell research.
You show the laziness of a young mind, attracted to liberal positions and sound bytes, without the required energy of putting much "independent" thought into those positions. That is why I seriously doubt the claims of your age.

Stem cell research is not even in the forefront of the focus for a cure of alzheimer's disease. This is a quote from an article issued by the Alzheimer's Association:

While some researchers believe stem cell research may one day help people with Alzheimer's disease, they generally feel that such a day is far off in the future. Several issues complicate the applicability of stem cell treatments to Alzheimer’s. For example:

• Alzheimer’s disease is highly complex and the related cell damage spreads to large areas of the brain as the disease progresses. The potential of stem cell therapy to correct this widespread destruction is unclear and will require longer-term investigation.

• While newly implanted cells may be able to process and create new memories, they would not have the extensive network of connections built up over a lifetime by older cells nor would they retain previously stored memories.
The Alzheimer’s Association’s goal is to eradicate Alzheimer’s through the advancement of research. We therefore support any legitimate scientific avenue that offers the potential to advance this goal within appropriate boundaries. That said, human stem cell research is not a current research priority for the Alzheimer’s Association.

Promising areas of Alzheimer’s disease research today include:

• Understanding the role of amyloid in the brain.
• Risk factors related to genetics and lifestyle.
• Risk factors related to cardiovascular disease and metabolic disorders.
• Therapies to slow or stop the progression of the disease.
• Brain imaging for early diagnosis and improving drug testing.

txradioguy
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
If this had come from Michael I'd have believed it.

But Considering that when he's not doing play-by-play for dog shows Ron Jr. is a Libtard media darling solely for the fact he trashes his mom and dad every chance he gets...this has zero credibility.

SaintLouieWoman
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
If this had come from Michael I'd have believed it.

But Considering that when he's not doing play-by-play for dog shows Ron Jr. is a Libtard media darling solely for the fact he trashes his mom and dad every chance he gets...this has zero credibility.

Is he still a ballerina? I don't keep up with his career. I don't care what his politics, I think folks should honor their parents or at least not trash them in public.

SaintLouieWoman
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM

So why does the Yukon person waste his time on this board if he holds the members in such disdain? I just love that condescending "you people". It's so enlightened and tolerant, like most liberals. :rolleyes:

Apache
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
So why does the Yukon person waste his time on this board if he holds the members in such disdain? I just love that condescending "you people". It's so enlightened and tolerant, like most liberals. :rolleyes:

SR didn't tell you about his new pet :confused::p

Yukon
01-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I will take Michael Reagan word over Ron's any-day plus Ron was a big disappointment to his father.

I guess you are too stupid to respond to my post about Canadians shooting wolves from planes and helicopters.

Of course you'll take Mike word...he's a conservative zealot and Ron Junior is a liberal. You people believe there were WMD in Iraq too. You'll believe anything the Conservative gods tell you aka Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Beck, etc.

hampshirebrit
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Of course you'll take Mike word...he's a conservative zealot and Ron Junior is a liberal. You people believe there were WMD in Iraq too. You'll believe anything the Conservative gods tell you aka Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Beck, etc.

I'm going to put you on hold for a couple of weeks.

We have another troll due to return in a couple of days, and frankly as mods we don't have the bandwidth to host two like you at the same time. And we could all do with a couple of troll-free days, mods and members, hence the lack of overlap.

When we put him on hold (as we are bound to, sooner or later), you can come back, maybe. Maybe we can work out a shift pattern for you.

Yukon
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM

We have another troll due to return in a couple of days, and frankly as mods we don't have the bandwidth to host two like you at the same time. And we could all do with a couple of troll-free days, mods and members, hence the lack of overlap.

When we put him on hold (as we are bound to, sooner or later), you can come back, maybe. Maybe we can work out a shift pattern for you.

That's too bad. No different than DU though.

hampshirebrit
01-18-2011, 04:49 PM

You can discuss this with us on or after 2/8, assuming that we've rotated Satty out again by then.

In the meantime, you should reflect on the fact that DU wouldn't give you this much leeway.

Pulpfishin
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
You can discuss this with us on or after 2/8, assuming that we've rotated Satty out again by then.

In the meantime, you should reflect on the fact that DU wouldn't give you this much leeway.

I am not happy with this decision, I was having too much fun belittling the little turd burglar.

I really enjoy letting the air out of Canadian windbags!

Kind of reminded me of my discussions with Iverglas over at the DUmp (Hey foreSkinner I have over 12k post and no tombstone yet).

Please open the troll cage so I can openly abuse him some more:(

hampshirebrit
01-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I am not happy with this decision, I was having too much fun belittling the little turd burglar.

I really enjoy letting the air out of Canadian windbags!

Kind of reminded me of my discussions with Iverglas over at the DUmp (Hey foreSkinner I have over 12k post and no tombstone yet).

Please open the troll cage so I can openly abuse him some more:(

Don't fret so. He'll be back.

Anyway, you'll have a different one to play with come Friday. Satty's TO ends in three days.

Big Dog
01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
You people believe there were WMD in Iraq too.

Dicknose, there were WMDs in Iraq. Chemical agents, biological warfare agents, raw materials for nuclear and chemical agents, fixed and mobile facilities for mixing chemical agents, and the capability to deliver NBC weapons against military and civilian targets.

Have a nice time-out. Maybe you'll address this when you pass GO and collect $200.

NJCardFan
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Dicknose, there were WMDs in Iraq. Chemical agents, biological warfare agents, raw materials for nuclear and chemical agents, fixed and mobile facilities for mixing chemical agents, and the capability to deliver NBC weapons against military and civilian targets.

Have a nice time-out. Maybe you'll address this when you pass GO and collect $200.

Welcome aboard, BD.

Zathras
01-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Sorry no...if this was DU you would've been gone permenantly before you got to 10 posts. Here we gave you enough rope to hang yourself and you did so very nicely....and you get to come back too.

See you when you get back on the 8th.

Big Dog
01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome aboard, BD.

Thanks. I read a lot, and talk a little.

PoliCon
01-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I read a lot, and talk a little.

We'll have to see if we can provoke you to type a bit ;)

namvet
01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

so your letting the air out of his tire for awhile. maybe ill hang around and see if it comes back. if its smart it won't. sooner or later its fangs will appear as well as the hair on its face.

PoliCon
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/23391/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/23391/1139/richmedia/Ron_Reagan.mp3

txradioguy
01-22-2011, 01:59 PM

QFT

NJCardFan
01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
QFT

What the left fails to realize is that for a decade Hussein thumbed his nose at the UN and it's resolutions. His oil for food program was used to build palaces for he and his sons all over the country...all sanctioned by Russia, France, and Germany not to mention Kofi Annan. Then, he would routinely kick out the UN inspectors and all the UN would do is useless resolutions demanding he allow them back in. All GWB did was enforce the resolutions the UN didn't have the backbone to enforce. As for WMD's, we all know he had them because he used them.
http://pottokettle.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/gasedkurdsknp_468x353.jpg
This is the affect of those WMD's the left say didn't exist.