PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Rand Paul tackles budget head-on

Gingersnap
01-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Rookie Rand Paul tackles budget head-on

President Barack Obama will soon lay out his vision for federal spending when he releases his annual budget, setting in motion months of debate over the size and scope of government.

Rand Paul is doing the same thing.

The tea party hero is at the bottom of the Senate in seniority and was sworn in as Kentucky’s junior Republican senator only two weeks ago, but he’s about to unveil his own sweeping budget plan that would result in a $500 billion cut in just one year — about five times more than what the House GOP has promised to do.

It’s an unusual move — a rookie senator releasing his own version of the federal budget — but it says a lot about how Paul is trying to carve an unconventional identity in the stodgy Senate. As he tries to navigate Senate politics, Paul faces a key question: Will he use his national profile to paint himself as a conservative firebrand and perennial outsider, or will he work within the system and with senators across the ideological spectrum to settle for less ambitious deals?

So far, he’s showing signs he’ll do a little of both.

Paul’s version of the federal budget — which he’ll unveil as early as next week — would target programs at virtually every federal agency, including the Defense Department, and would eliminate the Education Department. He plans to follow up with a five-year budget with even deeper spending cuts, a move likely to prompt backlash from groups that would be affected by his proposal.

Like other Republicans, Paul is pushing a constitutional amendment to force Congress to balance its books, calling for a two-thirds-majority vote to increase taxes. And he plans to float bills that would kill certain federal regulations. Breaking from most lawmakers, he also wants to force a debate over instituting a limit of two terms for senators. And he’ll propose establishing a waiting period before lawmakers cast major votes and forcing them to read legislation.

“These are not without ambition,” Paul told POLITICO in an interview.

With these proposals, Paul is clearly moving to make a down payment on promises he made as a fire-breathing campaigner, when he vowed to drastically change the Senate from its core and force a dramatic belt tightening on Capitol Hill.

But none of them are expected to go very far in the Democratic-controlled Senate. And with Paul lacking seniority in the Republican Conference, the real test for the new senator is how he adjusts when his more ideologically driven ideas stall and it’s time to start legislating.

“The broad question for him and every other senator is: Is it confrontation or compromise?” said New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, who ran the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee last cycle when it attempted to brand Paul as an “extreme” candidate. “Is it going to be about pure ideology, or is it going to be about, ‘OK, how do I pursue my principles but do it in a way that can still make progress?’ So that’s a challenge for every new senator, when they come and balance what they said and what they do.’”

Interesting.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47720.html#ixzz1BPAO2vNH

lacarnut
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
I hope his enthusiasm does not wane as tea party candidates will find out that governing is much more difficult than campaigning. DC politics has a habit of consuming politicians with back door deals, lobbyist, cronyism, funding for their next campaign and political upmanship.

fettpett
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Interesting.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47720.html#ixzz1BPAO2vNH

very, even if part of these measures are taken and passed with help from the house, they will show a dedication to keeping their campaign promises. Cutting a lot of those regulations will not only help spur the economy but get rid of a lot of bureaucratic jobs that are over kill and waste of money

txradioguy
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
very, even if part of these measures are taken and passed with help from the house, they will show a dedication to keeping their campaign promises. Cutting a lot of those regulations will not only help spur the economy but get rid of a lot of bureaucratic jobs that are over kill and waste of money

I just hope he doesn't do like Daddy and start calling for a return to the Gold Standard.

Madisonian
01-18-2011, 12:28 PM
I just hope he doesn't do like Daddy and start calling for a return to the Gold Standard.

I would have to read up a bit, but I would like to see our currency and trillions in debt backed by a something with a little more substance than faith in Obama, Bernake and 535 elected money tossers in Congress.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fettpett
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I would have to read up a bit, but I would like to see our currency and trillions in debt backed by a something with a little more substance than faith in Obama, Bernake and 535 elected money tossers in Congress.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I agree, but don't think it's feasible until we get out from under that debt. I think Rand's idea on cutting spending is a good one though.

djones520
01-18-2011, 12:59 PM
If he can stick to his guns like his dad does, awesome. But like Tx said, i'd rather not see him go full on looney like his dad.

Tecate
01-18-2011, 09:41 PM
All throughout history fiat money printed out of nothing and backed by nothing always ends up being inflated to its true value which is ZERO. No exceptions ever.

on edit: There is nothing inherently wrong with a gold standard, just that it would take 30-40 years to return to it from where we are now.