PDA

View Full Version : Christie orders Sewerage Commission to explain friends, family in payroll

Gingersnap
01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Christie orders Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission to explain friends, family in payroll records
Published: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 8:55 AM Updated: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger By Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger

http://i51.tinypic.com/i4pibl.jpg
Commissioner Frank Calandriello, right, talks to fellow commissioner William F. Flynn, left, Wayne Forrest, the executive director for PVSC, Anthony J. Luna, the chairman of PVSC and Carl Czaplicki Jr., the vice chairman of PVSC during a public meeting. The Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission is an obscure agency whose payroll is swollen with the friends and family of those with political clout, while records show the funneling of thousands of dollars in no-bid contracts to political insiders.

PASSAIC COUTY ó Gov. Chris Christie has given the commissioners of the stateís largest sewerage authority seven days to explain why they appear to be using their agency as a "piggy bank" for friends and family, or he will likely demand all seven resign.

Christie said his chief counsel, Jeff Chiesa, will be sending out letters later today on the governorís behalf to the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commissioners, requesting they list all hires they had been involved with; account for all family members they have on the payroll; provide records of all raises that were authorized, and a justification for each.

"My initial inclination would have been to demand resignations, but fairness would dictate allowing them seven days to explain themselves," said the governor bluntly.

The action came a day after a report in The Sunday Star-Ledger, which found widespread financial abuse and favoritism within the PVSC, including well-paying jobs for brothers, wives, children and in-laws; sweetheart deals for insiders; lucrative, no-bid consulting contracts, and lavish travel expenditures.

In an unusual public rebuke for a state agency, Christie called the PSVC "a remnant of New Jersey that should be part of our embarrassing past." At the same time, he urged the Legislature to give him veto power over the troubled authority, which operates one of the largest sewage treatment plants in the country.

"They appear to be using this place as a familial piggy bank to take care of their friends, relatives and political associates," declared the governor. "If this doesnít convince the Legislature that, at a minimum, I need veto authority over the commission, I donít know what will."

Unlike most other public authorities in New Jersey, the PVSC ó which has a $161 million budget ó faces no state review of its spending. The governor also cannot act to reverse any of its actions.

The Star-Ledger examination found the agency had handed out costly contracts to benefit the communities of individual commissioners. Other documents obtained under the Open Public Records Act found the commissioners kept a scorecard to keep track of the jobs they each had to give out, which were known as the "commissionersí rounds."

Numbered like NFL draft round choices, the internal records showed one commissioner picked his daughter-in-law when his turn came. Another picked his wife. Others routinely hired those with ties to elected officials.

NJ Com (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/passaic_valley_sewerage_commis_2.html)

linda22003
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Uh oh, are they all named Soprano?

Gingersnap
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I think this is great. :)

linda22003
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I think this is great. :)

I thought he did a really good job on Fox News Sunday this week.

Apache
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow! Someone who found something wrong and is trying to fix it! Refreshing!

Odysseus
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Uh oh, are they all named Soprano?

No, but I bet they all have great, big "D"s next to their names.

NJCardFan
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
NJ is the most corrupt state in the union and, even though in my area I am in the minority, I give him props for trying to clean up the state. However, he has yet to lop off high paying political appointees who are unneeded.

Bailey
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
NJ is the most corrupt state in the union and, even though in my area I am in the minority, I give him props for trying to clean up the state. However, he has yet to lop off high paying political appointees who are unneeded.

No La is far more corrupt then NJ.

NJCardFan
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM

I highly doubt that.

Odysseus
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM

I'd have thought that Illinois was the most corrupt, with CA as a close second.

Novaheart
01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I highly doubt that.

Are New Jersey officials cheering a foreign invasion?

lacarnut
01-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Gov Jindal has done a lot to reverse that.

NJCardFan
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Are New Jersey officials cheering a foreign invasion?

If you're talking illegal immigration, then, in a sense, yes. If you are not, and since this country hasn't been invaded by foreigners since the War of 1812, then I don't know what you are talking about.

Rockntractor
01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Gov Jindal has done a lot to reverse that.

Absolutely, the La I saw in the late 70s was far different then now.
I remember carnival owners going into the sheriffs dept in the different parishes paying them off so we could run our games wide open, all of La was that way, and a large part of Oklahoma.

Articulate_Ape
01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
NJCard is right. IL and CA send their crooks to NJ to study.

ralph wiggum
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I'd have thought that Illinois was the most corrupt, with CA as a close second.

I'd say Illinois north of Interstate 80, i.e. the Chicago area, not the entire state of Illinois. Some of the Chicago suburbs are just as corrupt as the big city.

Madisonian
01-18-2011, 06:10 PM
NJCard is right. IL and CA send their crooks to NJ to study.

That may be but NJ got their diplomas inDetroit! (http://news.lalate.com/2010/12/16/kwame-kilpatrick-bobby-ferguson-bernard-kilpatrick-indicted/)

Articulate_Ape
01-18-2011, 06:20 PM
That may be but NJ got their diplomas inDetroit! (http://news.lalate.com/2010/12/16/kwame-kilpatrick-bobby-ferguson-bernard-kilpatrick-indicted/)

HA! :D

noonwitch
01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Better for them to have the governor deal with them than the feds. Just ask Kwame Kilpatrick and his dad!

The city of Detroit provides water to most of the metro area, and the water is of high quality. But most corruption that gets uncovered seems to be with the water department.