PDA

View Full Version : Your children and their political beliefs

CaughtintheMiddle1990
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Reading the Reagan thread it seems Ron Reagan was a dissapointment to his father because of his political beliefs...But let me ask you guys:

Are political beliefs that important to you, that you'd find your child a disappointment for them having a different opinion than you? Would your child's political beliefs--if they were contrary, even the exact opposite of your own--Stop you from talking to them or limit your relationship with them in any way?

txradioguy
01-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Reading the Reagan thread it seems Ron Reagan was a dissapointment to his father because of his political beliefs...But let me ask you guys:

Are political beliefs that important to you, that you'd find your child a disappointment for them having a different opinion than you? Would your child's political beliefs--if they were contrary, even the exact opposite of your own--Stop you from talking to them or limit your relationship with them in any way?

Nope wouldn't stop me. They are my children and I'd love them regardless. If you're love for a child you helped bring into this world is so shallow that you'd sever ties because of how they vote...there never was much love there in the first place.

Wei Wu Wei
01-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah I've heard of family members having heated shouting matches over thanksgiving dinner but if people really let politics come between them and their own children then there are much deeper problems there and the politics was probably just a catalyst.

Wei Wu Wei
01-18-2011, 02:58 PM
My parents are not very political but they were always extremely socially conservative. Growing up I very quickly thought past that. By the time I was in high school I already had far different vfiews than my parents. Issues of race relations, gay rights, women's rights, and more have always been things that I've differed from my parents on. We've always been extremely close and it's never been a problem, just something for us to talk about whenever I go home to visit.

noonwitch
01-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't think Ron Reagan was a disappointment to his dad, due to political beliefs. If he loved his kid, his kid's politics were not the defining factor in their relationship.

txradioguy
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think Ron Reagan was a disappointment to his dad, due to political beliefs. If he loved his kid, his kid's politics were not the defining factor in their relationship.

Kids can disappoint you in their actions...doesn't mean you stop loving them.

MrsSmith
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I second this. So far, none of my grown children has done everything I'd want, or avoided everything I spent years teaching them to avoid. We disagree on politics, religion, and how to raise children. I have been both bitterly disappointed and wonderfully proud. In no case does any of this change my love for them...nor would it interfere if they needed me for something. Just as my disagreements with my parents and siblings did not affect our love. You don't throw people away over things like this.

NJCardFan
01-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Nope wouldn't stop me. They are my children and I'd love them regardless. If you're love for a child you helped bring into this world is so shallow that you'd sever ties because of how they vote...there never was much love there in the first place.
This sounds like DU logic. Reading those twits, they've started family feuds over politics.

Wei Wu Wei
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Part of growing up is understanding that you cannot be what your parents want. Part of growing up is, in a mature non-adolscent way, growing apart from your parents and being your own person. There's also learning that your parents are not perfect, they have many flaws, sometimes big ones, and you cannot fix it.

Part of being a parent is udnerstanding that your children will never be what you expected them to be. There will always be some things, or many things, that are far off from what the parent would have wanted and that's fine. Part of being a parent is learning to not project your own inadequacies onto your children and try to live through your life through your children.

Neither your parents nor your children will be perfect, and what makes a great family is accepting these shortcomings and totally fully loving them anyway, flaws and all.

Calypso Jones
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
No. i wouldn't stop loving them but i'd continue to get them on the right path. with love. Same as what i'd do if they were drug addicts or alcoholics or mentally disturbed. heh heh heh.

Yukon
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
A person would have to very disturbed to turn against hism own flesh and blood over politics. Very disturbed indeed.

noonwitch
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Some parents are proud of children who disagree with them. It shows that their parenting taught their kids to think for themselves.

Adam Wood
01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
I think Octavia is a Democrat. Not sure. Doesn't change how I feel about her, though. Mostly she just gets in my lap and purrs and occasionally meows.

Novaheart
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I think Octavia is a Democrat. Not sure. Doesn't change how I feel about her, though. Mostly she just gets in my lap and purrs and occasionally meows.

All cats are Republicans.

Adam Wood
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
All cats are Republicans.Even the Black ones? :eek:

fettpett
01-18-2011, 06:46 PM
All cats are Republicans.

no, cats are evil....:eek:

Dog's on the other hand are all Republicans :cool: