PDA

View Full Version : Time for DUmmies to boycott the Super Bowl

FDK
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x231958

underpants (1000+ posts) Wed Jan-19-11 08:20 PM
Original message
Reagan tribute scheduled for Super Bowl

Edited on Wed Jan-19-11 08:24 PM by underpants
Several pop-ups on this site. Summary is below.
http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-atlanta/reaga...

On Sunday, February 6, 2011, the world will turn its eyes to Arlington, TX for Super Bowl XLV, to be held at the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium.

February 6 is also notable for another "cowboy" - this one, an actor-turned-President. February 6, 2011 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of this nation's 40th President, Ronald Reagan.

Tributes are being planned across the country as well as around the world, even in countries of the former Soviet bloc described famously by Reagan as an "Evil Empire" in 1983, at the height of the Cold War. The fall of the Soviet regime is largely credited to the actions Reagan took, both foreign and domestic, to spur the American economy while forcing the U.S.S.R. and Soviet bloc to destabilize and eventually fall, being rebuilt for the most part into Western-inspired republics.

A tribute is being planned as part of the Super Bowl festivities in Texas, though specific details are largely being kept under wraps at the moment.

bluestateguy (1000+ posts) Wed Jan-19-11 08:22 PM
Response to Original message
2. Good to know this

So I now know and accordingly will spend the day watching OnDemand movies all day long.

NJCardFan
01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Do DUmmies even watch football? Even so, something tells me that the ratings won't be hurt one iota. Oh, and if they were going to run a little story about, say, Carter and conservatives had said they would boycott the Super Bowl, the cries from the left would be deafening.

SarasotaRepub
01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
But DUmmies...your lord Obama is going to be on too!!!

Talking to O'Reilly of Fox News. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Novaheart
01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Do DUmmies even watch football? Even so, something tells me that the ratings won't be hurt one iota. Oh, and if they were going to run a little story about, say, Carter and conservatives had said they would boycott the Super Bowl, the cries from the left would be deafening.

As I despise football, and expect all other geniuses to despise it as well (though not as much as I despise professional baseball but for different reasons) I am frequently surprised at hippies who like football.

On the other hand, a string of self declared sports fans as roommates has shown me that most men who claim to live and breathe a sport will sleep while watching it if they are alone and undisturbed. If the advertisers of ESPN ever figure out that it's a companion for nap time rivaled only by the Golf Channel, the stock will plummet.

Gingersnap
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I've boycotted the NFL my entire life but nobody seems to care. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Beefeater
01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Ohhh, there may be another problem in DUmmy Land. OblaBla says he'll be in Dallas if Da Bears go to the SB. Hummm, Dallas...President...Maybe the big screen at the White House is a better option.

FDK
01-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Ohhh, there may be another problem in DUmmy Land. OblaBla says he'll be in Dallas if Da Bears go to the SB. Hummm, Dallas...President...Maybe the big screen at the White House is a better option.

Yo, Obama is the black Reagan - just aks him.

Rockntractor
01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I've boycotted the NFL my entire life but nobody seems to care. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They didn't know it until now!

NJCardFan
01-20-2011, 03:39 AM
As I despise football, and expect all other geniuses to despise it as well (though not as much as I despise professional baseball but for different reasons) I am frequently surprised at hippies who like football.

On the other hand, a string of self declared sports fans as roommates has shown me that most men who claim to live and breathe a sport will sleep while watching it if they are alone and undisturbed. If the advertisers of ESPN ever figure out that it's a companion for nap time rivaled only by the Golf Channel, the stock will plummet.

So only idiots are football fans?:rolleyes:

CueSi
01-20-2011, 05:32 AM

This is why iCan't with you sometimes.

~QC

Novaheart
01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
This is why iCan't with you sometimes.

~QC

What in God's name were you doing up at 5:30 am?

Zathras
01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
So only idiots are football fans?:rolleyes:

No, Novaheart is a snob.

noonwitch
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't really like football. I find college football more interesting than professional football. I don't have a problem with men watching it, however, and am more than willing to make food for them to eat while they are watching it.

My sport to watch is hockey, although with the Red Wings down to their 3rd goalie and half the scorers out injured, it's not really fun to watch them at the moment.

Rebel Yell
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
No, Novaheart is a snob.

No, football is too testosterone driven.

Rebel Yell
01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=noonwitch;363226]I don't really like football. I find college football more interesting than professional football. QUOTE]

I prefer the college game, too. More variety of offensive and defensive schemes.

txradioguy
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Do DUmmies even watch football?

*ahem*

Originally Posted by Novaheart
As I despise football, and expect all other geniuses to despise it as well

Answer your question?

CueSi
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
What in God's name were you doing up at 5:30 am?

I love you like a demented liberal cousin, but - - none of your business. :D

~QC

txradioguy
01-20-2011, 01:43 PM

*looks at Nova*

Nah...that one was too easy. I'll leave it alone.

Novaheart
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

1- The players usually have no connection to the city they play for, so the regional pride thing escapes me.

2- The game is highly undisciplined, ie it takes forever to play a one hour game, they dress it up and put lipstick on it, but it's still a pig.

3- Team owners expect the public to pay for the stadium, pay to operate the stadium, and let the owners keep all the receipts as well as control the stadium's use as an entertainment venue.

4- Team owners are, as a rule, scuzzbags.

5- Testosterone driven is not synonymous with boring, stupid, juvenile, wasteful, and pointless. But if I'm ever short on testosterone, I'll borrow a hypodermic full from a pro football player.

6- The Superbowl in Tampa was a scam on the taxpayers.

CueSi
01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
1- The players usually have no connection to the city they play for, so the regional pride thing escapes me.

2- The game is highly undisciplined, ie it takes forever to play a one hour game, they dress it up and put lipstick on it, but it's still a pig.

3- Team owners expect the public to pay for the stadium, pay to operate the stadium, and let the owners keep all the receipts as well as control the stadium's use as an entertainment venue.

5- Testosterone driven is not synonymous with boring, stupid, juvenile, wasteful, and pointless. But if I'm ever short on testosterone, I'll borrow a hypodermic full from a pro football player.

Okay, these are fair points, but I'll try to address some of these.

1) In many cases, players develop a deep connection to the town they play in (especially if they spend their entire career there). . . Case in Point: Dan Marino is from Pittsburgh, but right now, you'd be hard pressed to find anything connecting him to that area other than his accent. Dan Marino's Town Tavern is here. Along with charities, a wing of MCH, Marino and the City of Miami are basically married and we're still looking for him in every new QB we draft. The same probably could be said for Troy Aikman and Dallas (Troy is from California), Tom Brady and New England (Tom is ALSO from California)...yes, all the people I mentioned are QB's.

2) The pacing of the game is due to it's discipline. Many other sports work in a more fluid and free form manner in terms of strategy. Football is rigid for the most part as to what tasks what players can perform.

3) I'll give you that one. Point for Griffyndor.

4) On one hand, Al Davis, Irsay... on the other, You've got the Rooneys and the Meara family. I wouldn't call the latter set scuzzbags. The Former? Eh.

5)That is subjective, and it sounds like you're conflating off-field antics (which dwarf when you look at the stunts some soccer players pull in the UK) with on field action.

6) In Miami, the SB tends to be a winning proposition; then again, we've had it often enough that we don't have to build as much extra crap to handle the load, so that could probably be why Miami tends to have less in the red than other cities post-SB. . .and I made ALOT of money during the entire championship fortnight. Not as much as race week, but SB/Pro Bowl weekends probably paid my car note for 3-4 months.

~QC

Novaheart
01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Okay, these are fair points, but I'll try to address some of these.

1) In many cases, players develop a deep connection to the town they play in (especially if they spend their entire career there). . . Case in Point: Dan Marino is from Pittsburgh, but right now, you'd be hard pressed to find anything connecting him to that area other than his accent. Dan Marino's Town Tavern is here. Along with charities, a wing of MCH, Marino and the City of Miami are basically married and we're still looking for him in every new QB we draft. The same probably could be said for Troy Aikman and Dallas (Troy is from California), Tom Brady and New England (Tom is ALSO from California)...yes, all the people I mentioned are QB's.

2) The pacing of the game is due to it's discipline. Many other sports work in a more fluid and free form manner in terms of strategy. Football is rigid for the most part as to what tasks what players can perform.

3) I'll give you that one. Point for Griffyndor.

4) On one hand, Al Davis, Irsay... on the other, You've got the Rooneys and the Meara family. I wouldn't call the latter set scuzzbags. The Former? Eh.

5)That is subjective, and it sounds like you're conflating off-field antics (which dwarf when you look at the stunts some soccer players pull in the UK) with on field action.

6) In Miami, the SB tends to be a winning proposition; then again, we've had it often enough that we don't have to build as much extra crap to handle the load, so that could probably be why Miami tends to have less in the red than other cities post-SB. . .and I made ALOT of money during the entire championship fortnight. Not as much as race week, but SB/Pro Bowl weekends probably paid my car note for 3-4 months.

~QC

A Superbowl which does not feature two of the following, isn't worth the air time:

SF
DC
LA
Dallas
Miami
Kansas City

CueSi
01-20-2011, 05:29 PM
A Superbowl which does not feature two of the following, isn't worth the air time:

SF
DC
LA
Dallas
Miami
Kansas City

The Redskins aren't that interesting and the tradition that follows franchises like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Chicago... I mean... The Jets and the Patriots aren't on your list and their ratings were epic.

IJS.

~QC

NJCardFan
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

What this has to do with the price of eggs I'll never know. I'm quite sure that every player on Manchester United were born and bred in Manchester. :rolleyes:

Which goes to show you how ignorant you are. I might be going out on a limb here but I take it you've never played this sport because if you did, you'd know how disciplined it really is. Each player has a job. If one player doesn't do his job properly, the whole play breaks down.

You have evidence of this, right? Because you're wrong. The city keeps a lot of the gate as well as the personal seat licenses fans must pay just to have the pleasure to buy season tickets.

Typical liberal generalization. While some owners are scuzzbags(Jerry Jones, Al Davis, Bob Irsay) many are just businessmen and many give back a lot to the team's community.

Give me names of NFL players doping. I'll wait.

Take that up with the city fathers, not with the league or the sport. You're an egotistical elitist snob just like any other liberal. Stick to soccer. It's about your speed.

txradioguy
01-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Anyone ever get the feeling that Nova was always the kid picked last?

It would explain is totally unjustified and very obvious hatred for sports.

NJCardFan
01-21-2011, 04:21 AM
I always love people who think football players are dumb. Let me give them a copy of a defensive back's playbook and see how stupid football players are, let alone a QB's playbook.

Rebel Yell
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
But if I'm ever short on testosterone, I'll borrow a pecker full from a pro football player, if I get lucky.

fixed.;):D

Zathras
01-21-2011, 11:53 AM

He was probably the fat kid in PE that everyone laughed at for his ineptitude at every sport they played.

CueSi
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM

I was picked last a lot too, ijs.

But when I was in HS, football was the only sport that let someone with just school spirit show up and help out. They always needed volunteers.

~QC