PDA

View Full Version : "I Should Have Had An F-22 "

megimoo
01-20-2011, 03:57 AM
F-35 Is Later, More Expensive And Fewer

The U.S. F-35 will be delayed yet again, and one of the three versions may be cancelled. The new service date for the F-35 appears to be a year later now, in 2015, although the U.S. Air Force is being a bit vague on this point.

Not so vague is the Department of Defense, which has put the vertical takeoff (F-35B VTOL) version on two years probation. If a growing list of problems with the F-35B are not fixed by then, the VTOL version will be cancelled.

Meanwhile, it looks like the F-35A (air force) and F-35C (navy carrier) versions will likely, maybe, perhaps, one hopes, ready to roll in 2015.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htproc/articles/20110119.aspx

fettpett
01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
so much for a plane that was suppose to be cheaper due to off the shelf parts from the F-22. They should have developed 2 versions and then did a dedicated VTOL plane

malloc
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
F-35 Is Later, More Expensive And Fewer

The U.S. F-35 will be delayed yet again, and one of the three versions may be cancelled. The new service date for the F-35 appears to be a year later now, in 2015, although the U.S. Air Force is being a bit vague on this point.

Not so vague is the Department of Defense, which has put the vertical takeoff (F-35B VTOL) version on two years probation. If a growing list of problems with the F-35B are not fixed by then, the VTOL version will be cancelled.

Meanwhile, it looks like the F-35A (air force) and F-35C (navy carrier) versions will likely, maybe, perhaps, one hopes, ready to roll in 2015.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htproc/articles/20110119.aspx

And the USMC gets the short end again! The USMC requires the VTOL because of its extensive use of LHA's which require that aircraft take off vertically.

megimoo
01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
so much for a plane that was suppose to be cheaper due to off the shelf parts from the F-22. They should have developed 2 versions and then did a dedicated VTOL planeThe plan was to dump the F-22 and drag on with the F-35 with the ultimate goal to Eventually cancel the whole thing !

Next up Deactivating Our SSBN's and MDS !

fettpett
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
The plan was to dump the F-22 and drag on with the F-35 with the ultimate goal to Eventually cancel the whole thing !

Next up Deactivating Our SSBN's and MDS !

i know...but i'm talking about the original plan behind the F-35

megimoo
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
i know...but i'm talking about the original plan behind the F-35The only way they could sell the concept was to include VTOL into the design .The Marines needed something with more performance to replace the AV8B VSTOL Harrier .The F-22 engines are completely different than the F-35.How would they be an off the shelf replacement for the F-35 ?

fettpett
01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
The only way they could sell the concept was to include VTOL into the design .The Marines needed something with more performance to replace the AV8B VSTOL Harrier .The F-22 engines are completely different than the F-35.How would they be an off the shelf replacement for the F-35 ?

Not the engines, but the other parts of the plane, minus the navigation and any other ultra-top secret stuff that is in the F-22

Remeber that the F-35 was a multi-national project and was suppose to be cheap for export. Overruns have caused most of the nations to pull out.

I know the reason why they put in a VTOL design. I just feel they should have done a dedicated VTOL plane instead of redesigning the F-35 to be one

megimoo
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Not the engines, but the other parts of the plane, minus the navigation and any other ultra-top secret stuff that is in the F-22

Remeber that the F-35 was a multi-national project and was suppose to be cheap for export. Overruns have caused most of the nations to pull out.

I know the reason why they put in a VTOL design. I just feel they should have done a dedicated VTOL plane instead of redesigning the F-35 to be oneI agree .What I am saying is that the concept needed additional supporters beyond the Air Force and Navy .The Navy demands two engines for reliability and light weight for carrier landings and high weapon payloads.The Air Force wants speed,stealth and maneuverability .They needed to sell all of the services the aircraft .

If they designed a VTOL only version they could have used parts commonality from the F-35 for the bulk of the VTOL .