PDA

View Full Version : Betelgeuse Collapse Imminent. Double Sun Likely.

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Tatooine's twin suns - coming to a planet near you just as soon as Betelgeuse explodes

* By Claire Connelly
* January 19, 2011 12:12PM

IT'S the ultimate experience for Star Wars fans - staring forlornly off into the distance as twin suns sink into the horizon. Yet it's not just a figment of George Lucas's imagination - twin suns are real. And here's the big news - they could be coming to Earth.

Yes, any day now we see a second sun light up the sky, if only for a matter of weeks.

The infamous red super-giant star in Orion’s nebula - Betelgeuse - is predicted to go gangbusters and the impending super-nova may reach Earth before 2012, and when it does, all of our wildest Star Wars dreams will come true.

The second biggest star in the universe is losing mass, a typical indication that a gravitation collapse is occurring.

When that happens, we'll get our second sun, according to Dr Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

“This old star is running out of fuel in its centre”, Dr Carter said.

“This fuel keeps Betelgeuse shining and supported. When this fuel runs out the star will literally collapse in upon itself and it will do so very quickly.”

When this happens a giant explosion will occur, tens of millions of times brighter than the sun. The bad news is, it could also happen in a million years. But who's counting? The important thing is, one day, night will become day for several weeks on Earth.

“This is the final hurrah for the star,” says Dr Carter.

“It goes bang, it explodes, it lights up - we’ll have incredible brightness for a brief period of time for a couple of weeks and then over the coming months it begins to fade and then eventually it will be very hard to see at all.”

The interwebs is being flooded with doomsday theories saying the impending supernova confirms the Mayan calendar’s prediction of the Armageddon in 2012.

These conspiracies aren’t helped by the word “Betelgeuse” being associated with the devil.

Though it is a derivation of the Arabic phrase “yad Al Jauza” meaning the “hand of Al-Jauza” referring to a mysterious woman that controls the order of the universe, it hasn’t stopped some people from clearing out their bunkers and stocking up on tinned food.

Far from being a sign of the apocalypse, according to Dr Carter the supernova will provide Earth with elements necessary for survival and continuity.

“When a star goes bang, the first we will observe of it is a rain of tiny particles called nuetrinos,” says Dr Carter.

“They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/tatooines-twin-suns-coming-to-a-planet-near-you-just-as-soon-as-betelgeuse-explodes/story-fn5fsgyc-1225991009247#ixzz1BayfXVTl

Molon Labe
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
As an amateur star gazer, this might be a cool event.

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
As an amateur star gazer, this might be a cool event.

Unless it ushers in the End Times. :D

ironhorsedriver
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Wonder what are the chances of this becoming a Gamma ray producer?

linda22003
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
It would explain why we haven't seen Michael Keaton for a long time.

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Wonder what are the chances of this becoming a Gamma ray producer?

Not likely but that hasn't prevented our good friends over at Godlikeproductions from speculating that the fish/deaths are tied to this event and that it is part of the Blue Star Prophecy. :cool:

Molon Labe
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Unless it ushers in the End Times. :D

Speaking of which....look up the term Nibiru. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Nabiru&aq=f&aqi=g-s1g9&aql=&oq=) There are people that equate this with 2012 ending.

Calypso Jones
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
great. Not enough that i have to worry about the marxist takeover of this country now i have to think about the renewed potential of end of world scenarios for 2012.

Articulate_Ape
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't its distance from us mean that it has already collapsed?

linda22003
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
great. Not enough that i have to worry about the marxist takeover of this country now i have to think about the renewed potential of end of world scenarios for 2012.

You don't have to worry about both of them. If the second is true, the first doesn't matter, does it?

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't its distance from us mean that it has already collapsed?

No one knows - until the gamma rays fry everything to death. :(

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Linda might, if she came from that direction!

Zathras
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Or turn everyone into The Incredible Hulk.

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Or turn everyone into The Incredible Hulk.

Either way, it's going to be a big adjustment.

Molon Labe
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Well if you wanna keep tabs on it till it happens, it's rising in the east after dark. It's in the upper left of constellation Orion. Big red star.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CnOjpX5Q7Wo/TOSmGZnmKbI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/ky9J6s1zcHg/s1600/orion%2Bthe%2Bhunter.jpg

malloc
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM

That is correct. If we observe the collapse in 2012, then that means Betelgeuse collapsed 1300 years ago, and we are viewing it in a time-delayed fashion. Neutrinos and other particles with mass will follow, likely long after the light & radiation reaches us. For all practical purposes it doesn't matter though, any effects we experience will only be experienced once the light reaches us.

My 1300 year figure is from the article, I have no idea if the article is even remotely accurate about any of this.

Constitutionally Speaking
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM

Depends on how far it is from us. If it explodes "today" we won't see it for another 640 years.

Of course if it exploded 640 years ago, we'll see it tonight!

megimoo
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't its distance from us mean that it has already collapsed?It has and the radiation is on the way .

megimoo
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
As an amateur star gazer, this might be a cool event.It's already happened ,we await the event arriving at the speed of light.2012..Hmm, Perhaps George Lucas has the right idea after all ?

"Lucas firmly believes the world will end in 2012. Lucas’ scenario: The world will end due to ‘tectonic plates’"
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2011/01/seth-rogen-george-lucas-believes-world-will-end-in-2012/

Betelgeuse Gravitational Waves Upset the rotation of the earths core causing an tectonic shift ?

Articulate_Ape
01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Depends on how far it is from us. If it explodes "today" we won't see it for another 640 years.

Of course if it exploded 640 years ago, we'll see it tonight!

Indeed. BTW, you have Betelgeuse on your chin. :p

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Okay, I looked and it isn't there. Of course, there's some cloud cover here.

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Okay, I looked and it isn't there. Of course, there's some cloud cover here.

Was it cold out? What were you wearing?:confused:

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
And what are you wearing now? :)

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
And what are you wearing now? :)

I'm thinking lacy.:o

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking lacy but with leather too. :D

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking lacy but with leather too. :D

I like those lacy half cups where stuff tries to sneak a peak over the top.:)

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Me too. I'll bet Ginger has some stunning sniper suits.

Wicked but tasteful.

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Me too. I'll bet Ginger has some stunning sniper suits.

Wicked but tasteful.

You made her blush, she left the web cam on again.:o

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
You made her blush, she left the web cam on again.:o

Hey, where did that red light come f

Gingersnap
01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking lacy.:o

You understand it's like 19 F here, right?

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 09:24 PM

We don't mind....:D

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Same here, that poor little lamb was born soaking wet in it, did you see his/her picture yet?

NJCardFan
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Didn't this happen in the 2010 movie? Yeah, I know, it was Jupiter that became a sun but it's all the same.

Articulate_Ape
01-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Didn't this happen in the 2010 movie? Yeah, I know, it was Jupiter that became a sun but it's all the same.

2010 movie? What the hell is that, some prequel to the Blair Witch Project?

Zathras
01-21-2011, 12:40 AM
2010 movie? What the hell is that, some prequel to the Blair Witch Project?

No, "2010" is the sequel to "2001 a space oddyssey".

megimoo
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
The Mayans, who spoke of "stabbing beams that penetrate from the heavens," had an exquisite understanding of these realities with their amazing knowledge of wave harmonics and resonance theory — perhaps even more so than scientists today.

They based their calendar, unsurpassed by even today’s super-computers, on the core number of 52, claiming it to be in resonance with and of major significance to our world.

(The principle of resonance ensures that when two objects have the same natural frequency, as one object emits a sound wave, the other will begin to vibrate in accordance with it.)

A bit of research into the processes of certain stars and planets verified that indeed 52, give or take a few digits, repeatedly occurs in the cycles of things: Here are a few examples:

1. The Earth’s orbital period (one year) is divided into weekly periods, of which there are 52.

2. The variable cycle of Betelgeuse (its period of growing bright, then dim) occurs every 5.2 to 5.5 years.

3. The Sun’s magnetic field reverses itself every 11 years; the mid-point of this cycle is 5.5 years.

4. The orbital period of Jupiter is 11.86 years — its midway point is 5.93 years.

5. The orbital period of the two stars in the Sirian system is almost 50 years (49.9).

6. The Shoemaker-Levy comet, first discovered 5.5 years ago, took exactly that amount of time to connect with Jupiter. The impacts themselves lasted a period of 5.5 days.

7. The distance from our sun to Betelgeuse is 520 light years (52 x 10).

8. The distance from our sun to Antares, another supergiant of immense proportion, is also 520 light years, but in the opposite direction.

(This is intriguing — that our tiny little sun should find itself positioned exactly between two of the largest, most powerful super giants yet known, is a great mystery!)

Articulate_Ape
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
No, "2010" is the sequel to "2001 a space oddyssey".

Ah, I feel vindicated for not knowing.