PDA

View Full Version : Six Christians shot, 1 fatally, in Egypt

Odysseus
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/11/egypt.attack/index.html?eref=rss_world

Samalut, Egypt (CNN) -- A policeman fatally shot a Christian man and wounded five other Christians Tuesday in an attack on a train in Egypt, officials said.

The incident occurred at about 5 p.m. when a man walked onto the train, which was stopped in the station at Samalut, about 200 kilometers south of Cairo, said Maryanne Nabil Thaki, 29, one of the victims

The gunman walked up and down the length of the train, then walked back to two groups of people who were seated near each other and were both Coptic Christians, she told a reporter at the Good Shepherd Hospital in Samalut, where she was being treated for gunshot wounds to the leg and the chest.

The man said in Arabic, "There is no God but God," and opened fire, she said.

The shooter fled the train, but was captured later, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry said. The suspect, a deputy policeman, was identified as Amer Ashoor Abdel-Zaher Hassan. He boarded the train in Asiut and was en route to Bani Mazar, Menya province, where he works.

The older man, Fathi Saeed Ebaid, 71, of Cairo, was killed, a local security source told the state-run Egyptian news agency MENA. His wife, Emily Hannah Tedly, 61, was in critical condition, as was the mother of the two younger women, said Dr. Petra Kamal.

All five were to be flown to Cairo for further treatment, a hospital employee said.

In front of the hospital, about a dozen Copts demonstrated in support of the victims but were dispersed by police who fired a tear gas canister that broke through a fifth-floor hospital window, said hospital employee Mina Farouk.

The attack comes 10 days after a bombing killed 23 Coptic Christians outside the Church of the Two Saints in Alexandria, Egypt, an attack that unnerved Christians and led to increased security.

Relations between the Christian minority and Muslim majority within Egypt have been tense since that New Year's Day bombing.

Those troubles were evident last Friday -- the day Coptic Christians, who follow the Julian calendar, celebrate Christmas -- when police staged a large-scale security operation outside the same church.

In a show of solidarity, some Egyptian Muslims attended the Christmas services.

Still, protests have erupted almost nightly in many Christian areas of Egypt since the bombing.

Egyptian authorities have released a sketch of a man they think was the suicide bomber in the church attack. The Interior Ministry used forensic technology to re-create the face.

About 9 percent of Egypt's 80 million residents are Coptic Christians. They base their theology on the teachings of the Apostle Mark, who introduced Christianity to Egypt, according to St. Takla Church in Alexandria, the capital of Coptic Christianity.

The religion is known for its rift with other Christians in the fifth century over the definition of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

CNN's Ben Wedeman, Housam Ahmed and Amir Ahmed and Journalist Ian Lee contributed to this report.

2008 Cable News Network
================================================== ====
"There is no God but God," is the first part of the Shahada, the Islamic declaration of faith, which is the first Pillar of Islam. The Arabic لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله is literally translated as, “There is no god but Allāh, Muhammad is Allāh’s Messenger“ However, this does not mean that the shooter was motivated by Islam. I'm sure that pundits will be quick to blame the shooting on Tea Party rhetoric, talk radio and Sarah Palin. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
There goes that religion of peace again. :rolleyes:

m00
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I blame the Jews for this.

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Sarcasm?

Bubba Dawg
01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

Damn. :(

Odysseus
01-20-2011, 11:49 PM

Sarcasm?

He's channeling Gator.

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 11:51 PM
He's channeling Gator.

That is what I'm afraid of, guess he is just too clever for us.

m00
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Sarcasm?

First they planted that shark off the Egyptian coast, and then they used that vulture with the GPS to spy on their neighbors. I don't put this past them.

Rockntractor
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
First they planted that shark off the Egyptian coast, and then they used that vulture with the GPS to spy on their neighbors. I don't put this past them.

Oh, I see now.:D

CueSi
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
http://assets.kaboose.com/media/00/00/04/ab/62aa2a542305d673d7384afd87ebc8232bde16b8/476x357/Slideshow-Snickers_476x357.jpg

For everyone! :D

~QC

noonwitch
01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
This is awful.

On the other hand, it's not very common in countries with majority muslim populations for a number of muslims to attend the christian services as a show of solidarity. That's some progress, at least.

My first supervisor here (long since retired) was a coptic from Egypt. People would ask him if he was a muslim, and he would get angry and say "What, you think I kill people?". This was in 1987, and he had come here in the early 70s, so he left Egypt long before Islamic terror became the world-wide issue it is now.

txradioguy
01-21-2011, 02:28 PM
There goes that religion of peace again. :rolleyes:

QFT

Odysseus
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
This is awful.

On the other hand, it's not very common in countries with majority muslim populations for a number of muslims to attend the christian services as a show of solidarity. That's some progress, at least.

My first supervisor here (long since retired) was a coptic from Egypt. People would ask him if he was a muslim, and he would get angry and say "What, you think I kill people?". This was in 1987, and he had come here in the early 70s, so he left Egypt long before Islamic terror became the world-wide issue it is now.

And yet, even then, he knew that it was common. People just never learn from history.

noonwitch
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
And yet, even then, he knew that it was common. People just never learn from history.

Yeah, I hear the same kind of thing from my dentist, who was born in Iran to a christian family. They left when the Shah took power.

Yet, I talk to the lady at the middle eastern restaurant, and she is so nice and is fairly westernized. She always wears a pretty scarf hijab that matches her otherwise western outfit. She runs the business end of things, and her father is the cook, who guards his recipes with his life. It's hard not to like people like that, and they are what most of the muslims around here are like.