PDA

View Full Version : Federal agency to spearhead new drug-development center

Articulate_Ape
01-23-2011, 01:12 PM
The Obama administration has become so concerned about the slowing pace of new drugs coming out of the pharmaceutical industry that officials have decided to start a billion-dollar government drug development center to help create medicines.
The new effort comes as many large drugmakers, unable to find enough new drugs, are paring back research. Promising discoveries in such illnesses as depression and Parkinson's that once would have led to clinical trials are instead going unexplored because companies have neither the will nor the resources to undertake the effort. Drug companies have typically spent twice as much on marketing as on research, a business model that is increasingly suspect.

Read more: Federal agency to spearhead new drug-development center - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_17171570?source=rss#ixzz1BspT34ae
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Swell.

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
The Obama administration has become so concerned about the slowing pace of new drugs coming out of the pharmaceutical industry that officials have decided to start a billion-dollar government drug development center to help create medicines.
The new effort comes as many large drugmakers, unable to find enough new drugs, are paring back research. Promising discoveries in such illnesses as depression and Parkinson's that once would have led to clinical trials are instead going unexplored because companies have neither the will nor the resources to undertake the effort. Drug companies have typically spent twice as much on marketing as on research, a business model that is increasingly suspect.

Read more: Federal agency to spearhead new drug-development center - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_17171570?source=rss#ixzz1BspT34ae
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Swell.

I'm thinking with the increased efforts by the government, we can look forward to living until maybe 60!

Apache
01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Well now, won't this be a huge sucking flop...:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Well now, won't this be a huge sucking flop...:rolleyes:

They will probably discover the antibiotic properties of sulfur and how laudanum stops pain!

fettpett
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
um....I think it's been the Government that hasn't allowed the private sector to develop new drugs.

Odysseus
01-23-2011, 01:44 PM

And the reason that they lack the resources to develop these drugs is the efforts by Democrats to regulate their profits, impose price controls on them and demonize them when they object to being regulated and priced out of business.

Satanicus
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
And the reason that they lack the resources to develop these drugs is the efforts by Democrats to regulate their profits, impose price controls on them and demonize them when they object to being regulated and priced out of business.

Not true , There are many drugs that has very little profit. Big Pharma doesn't focus on these drugs , they wwant bigger profits.

Apache
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Not true , There are many drugs that has very little profit. Big Pharma doesn't focus on these drugs , they wwant bigger profits.

You just proved his point, dumbass...

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
You just proved his point, dumbass...

That's why we keep the bitch around.

Apache
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
That's why we keep the bitch around.

Umm.... Thanks:confused:

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Umm.... Thanks:confused:
i didn't say it was a good plan!:D

Odysseus
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM

And speaking of demonization...

Thanks for making my point.

Novaheart
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
They will probably discover the antibiotic properties of sulfur and how laudanum stops pain!

What percentage of important drugs would you guess began in government funded laboratories?

What percentage of cancer drugs produced by the largest manufacturer of cancer drugs do you think were invented by that company?

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
What percentage of important drugs would you guess began in government funded laboratories?

What percentage of cancer drugs produced by the largest manufacturer of cancer drugs do you think were invented by that company?

Do your own damn research!

Novaheart
01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Do your own damned research!

Fixed, pet peeve #127.

I already have done my research, and obviously you have an idea what the answers be.

wilbur
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

They don't actually lack resources to develop these new drugs. They lack the motivation. Lifestyle drugs targeted at consumers are much more profitable than developing vaccines and antibiotics.

They don't want to spend the immense amount of R&D cycles required to develop antibiotics, only to watch bugs grow resistant a decade later, leaving them with a useless drug that cost them a shitload of money.

And of course, we lose in the end, in a big way. Since the drug companies are massively reducing their antibiotics output, we either need to incentivize it, or do it ourselves through the gov't.

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Fixed, pet peeve #127.

I already have done my research, and obviously you have an idea what the answers be.

I didn't say damned I said damn, and it looks like your son came over here.