PDA

View Full Version : Why is the cost of living significantly lower in China than in America?

SarasotaRepub
01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I swear...how can they be this retarded??? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x257539) :confused:

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-23-11 04:51 PM
Original message Why is the cost of living significantly lower in China than in America?If it isn't significantly lower in China, then how do people in China survive?

If it is significantly lower, then are there any strategies that could be learned from China and applied in America to bring down consumer costs? If there are, then these bad economic times may be a good time to consider them.

Just another example of "The Children of DU"...:D

3rd-try
01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
There should be a punchline at the end. But I think he/she is serious.

Beefeater
01-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Anyone else think Boo and Underground Panther are the same kid just messin' wit' 'em?

FDK
01-24-2011, 07:07 AM
They're smaller people so they need less resources. LOL.

Pulpfishin
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
In the infamous words of Dan Aykroyd,

Boojatta you ignorant slut!

Lanie
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
China's cost of living is lower because the Chinese aren't paid crap. I don't want to go that route.

Gingersnap
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I'll take what are 'price controls' and 'slave labor' for $500, Alex.

ralph wiggum
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
After not getting the answers that he/she/it wanted:

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-24-11 06:01 PM
Response to Original message
29. Kick

obliviously (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-24-11 07:28 PM
Response to Reply #29
32. What for?

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-24-11 08:07 PM
Response to Reply #32
35. I'm hoping for an answer that is clearer and at least a bit more elaborate than
the answers that have been given.

:D

Starbuck
01-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Boojatta asks a stupid question and expects a clear and elaborate answer. Guess not.

Congressman Hank Johnson tried that when he asked if the island of Guam would not be in danger of tipping over with the weight of a few more Marines.

Odysseus
01-25-2011, 05:28 PM
After not getting the answers that he/she/it wanted:
:D
And not understanding the answers that she got:

alphafemale (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-23-11 06:11 PM
11. ...ummm...communism and the people not in the cities have the life quality of a rat in a ditch?
I wouldn't live in China for all the tea in...well.

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-23-11 06:20 PM
Response to Reply #11
13. There could be various reasons for not wanting to live somewhere.
For example, there could be a high crime rate, or no freedom to peacefully protest against government policies. Each of those problems could arise regardless of whether the cost of living is low or high, and regardless of whether your personal income is low or high.
Yeah, right. Not being able to protest keeps people out of the cities. They can make much more noise in a peasant village.:rolleyes:

aaaaaa5a (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-23-11 07:06 PM
23. China purposely keeps its currency low.
Thus, its citizens don't have the buying power they should. Plus, the living standards in China are far lower. Wages are lower too. This leads to a much lower standard of living and lower costs too.

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-24-11 08:01 PM
Response to Reply #23
33. How does a currency exchange rate that makes imports expensive
keep the cost of living low in China? Please explain that.
If your currency is kept artificially low, and you have few goods and services available, your cost of living is low. Your quality of life is also low, but Boo doesn't seem to grasp this.

reformist2 (353 posts) Sun Jan-23-11 08:01 PM
24. It's mostly housing.
Edited on Sun Jan-23-11 08:01 PM by reformist2
You see, we Americans prefer to live in houses or at least decently sized apartments with room to move about. And for that, big business is punishing us.

Boojatta (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-23-11 09:39 PM
Response to Reply #24
26. Why is the cost of living high in Japan? Homes in Japan are mostly small.

northzax (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-24-11 07:06 PM
Response to Reply #26
31. Japan has two major problems
the first is land. in total, the country is about the size of Montana, but only 11% of the land is arable and about another five percent is suitable for building. that totals about the size of West Virginia. now imagine putting 127 million people into West Virginia.

which leads to the second problem: you have to feed, house, employ and clothe all those people in such a small area. that means imports, tons and tons of imports, nonstop. fuel, food, everything. That is expensive.

It's at that point that she kicks the thread. She has gotten answers, she just doesn't want to accept them.

Boojatta asks a stupid question and expects a clear and elaborate answer. Guess not.

Congressman Hank Johnson tried that when he asked if the island of Guam would not be in danger of tipping over with the weight of a few more Marines.

Well, you know how dense Marines are... :D

NJCardFan
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I take it this person has never set foot inside China. My grandparents did as well as my aunt and uncle and all said that they were amazed at the squalor these people live in.

And this is what happens when you peacefully protest in China:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6inWKFKv9UA

And this kind of censorship is exactly what the left want.

fettpett
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
my father in law went there a few years ago...as a forgiener and someone with money to spend so to speak, there is very little to eat other than rice and some veggies. Most people are lucky to get meat from their Communist overlords more than once a month. Hell they are lucky to get much other than a bowl of rice once a day

hoplophobe
01-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Indoor plumbing and electricity is still a rarity, isn't it? At least in the rural areas.

Starbuck
01-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Indoor plumbing and electricity is still a rarity, isn't it? At least in the rural areas.
My niece and her husband work in Beijing. The apartments are nice enough, but very small and expensive. Even for him, and he's a well paid executive.
They hate it. 500 G's a year is not going to keep them there.
People spit everywhere. Everywhere! You have to have a spare pair of shoes to walk around town in because - believe it or not - someone will eventually spit on your shoes. Seems the pollution is so bad that everyone has a throat fill of phlegm all the time.
The place is absolutely nasty. It takes 2 hours to go less than 10 miles to work. You may only drive your car every other day, according to the license number.