PDA

View Full Version : Four Detroit police officers shot inside precinct

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 07:20 PM
George Hunter and Mark Hicks / The Detroit News
A gunman walked into a Detroit police precinct this afternoon and shot a commander and three other officers
before he was killed, police sources confirmed.
Advertisement

Cmdr. Brian Davis, in charge of the 6th precinct, was shot in the hand and side and was undergoing surgery this evening, a police source said. Officer David Anderson was shot in the head but is alert and talking and moving his limbs, the source said.
Other reports indicate two other officers were grazed by gunfire and suffered minor wounds.
The victims were taken to nearby Sinai Grace Hospital shortly after the 4:30 p.m. shooting. Detroit Mayor Dave Bing arrived at the hospital early this evening to offer support to the victims.
Sunday's shootingcapped off a bloody weekend that saw at least 10people shotsince Friday night four at the precinct, three outside a strip club, and three murder victims found ina housein the 14000 block ofFaircrest.
The shooting occurred at the 6th Precinct, just west of the Southfield Freeway and south of Interstate 96. Like most precincts in the city, there are no metal detectors in the entrance and visitors can come in and talk face-to-face with officers.
Anderson worked for the department with the Law Enforcement Information Network, or LEIN, the database of criminal justice activity kept by the state.
Rufus Cain, who works at a car wash across the street from the precinct, said he was shocked by the news. He said he feels safe in part, he said, because he's so close to the police facility.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110123/METRO/101230331/Four-Detroit-police-officers-shot-inside-precinct#ixzz1BuKCDik1
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110123/METRO/101230331/1409/metro/Four-Detroit-police-officers-shot-inside-precinct

Novaheart
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
That city should be bulldozed.

megimoo
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110123/METRO/101230331/1409/metro/Four-Detroit-police-officers-shot-inside-precinctDidn't Detroit just lay off a bunch of cops ?

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Didn't Detroit just lay off a bunch of cops ?

Yes they did.

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Your son needs some help in this thread.
http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?p=364947#post364947

Madisonian
01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Obviously another right wing radical hearing the voices of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh telling him to kill liberals.

Oh wait, this happened in Detroit where the people are more likely to listen to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan.

In that case he must just have been nuts.

NJCardFan
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes they did.

Which really doesn't have anything to do with it. As soon as the idiot draws down, there should have been at least 5 cops shooting back.

Rockntractor
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Which really doesn't have anything to do with it. As soon as the idiot draws down, there should have been at least 5 cops shooting back.

What is your point?

PoliCon
01-23-2011, 11:57 PM

This I agree with.

PoliCon
01-23-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20110123/METRO/101230331/1409/metro/Four-Detroit-police-officers-shot-inside-precinct

no description? no name? No info on the shooter other than his age? this stinks to high heaven.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
no description? no name? No info on the shooter other than his age? this stinks to high heaven.

I have been checking back because the story was pretty new, but nothing.
A person shouldn't really speculate but if this was another line of work and several employees were recently let go, you would wonder if it was a disgruntled fired employee.

PoliCon
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I have been checking back because the story was pretty new, but nothing.
A person shouldn't really speculate but if this was another line of work and several employees were recently let go, you would wonder if it was a disgruntled fired employee.

perhaps. But given that this happened in detriot it's just as likely that he cried out Allahu Akbar as he did the shooting.

lacarnut
01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Obviously another right wing radical hearing the voices of Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh telling him to kill liberals.

Oh wait, this happened in Detroit where the people are more likely to listen to Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan.

In that case he must just have been nuts.

You hit the nail on the head. Otherwise, the perps mug would be splashed across the Internet and the early edition.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Godbee said police have identified the shooter, but would not release his name.
?

PoliCon
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
http://www.clrsearch.com/Detroit_Demographics/MI/48228/Crime_Statistics

nice neighborhood.

Sonnabend
01-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Detroit needs more gun laws...oh wait....

txradioguy
01-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Fist thing you've said that I agree with.

noonwitch
01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
The officers are all going to be okay, according to the news this morning. The cops did return a hail of gunfire at the perp and killed him.

My guess is that it was a crazy man. At some point in the past 24 years or so, there was a large corruption case out of that precinct, but it was a long time ago-either at the end of Young's time as mayor or at the beginning of Archer's.

This district covers a fairly highly-populated part of the city. It's the area my grandparents lived in until 1978. It's single family housing, for the most part, although most of it is now rental properties. It's not the worst part of town, believe it or not.

The Detroit police officer's union's official stance seems to be that although most suburban police departments have bullet-proof glass in their lobbies, the average precinct in Detroit does not.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 08:52 AM
The officers are all going to be okay, according to the news this morning. The cops did return a hail of gunfire at the perp and killed him.

My guess is that it was a crazy man. At some point in the past 24 years or so, there was a large corruption case out of that precinct, but it was a long time ago-either at the end of Young's time as mayor or at the beginning of Archer's.

This district covers a fairly highly-populated part of the city. It's the area my grandparents lived in until 1978. It's single family housing, for the most part, although most of it is now rental properties. It's not the worst part of town, believe it or not.

The Detroit police officer's union's official stance seems to be that although most suburban police departments have bullet-proof glass in their lobbies, the average precinct in Detroit does not.

Do they give any reason for not releasing the name of the shooter?

Calypso Jones
01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
that's what i was thinking. Why no info there?? muslim? illegal? somalian? DEMOCRAT??

txradioguy
01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
that's what i was thinking. Why no info there?? muslim? illegal? somalian? DEMOCRAT??

All of the above?

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Clearly, we can extrapolate some things from that. First, he was not linked in any way, however tenuously, to the Tea Party or conservative politics in any manifestation. Doesn't make him a liberal or Democrat, it just means that he wasn't a conservative or Republican, and they couldn't link him in a way that would have allowed them to score cheap points from this. Second, he wasn't affiliated with any groups that Democrats like to point their fingers at. We can assume that he was not military, had no PTSD issues, and had never been in any of the armed services, is not an NRA member, doesn't belong to a church or synagogue, and doesn't belong to any militias or any other movement that they could pretend to track back to Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh. Third, he was not employed at anything that would have cast aspersions on American capitalism, nor was he recently laid off, or they would have highlighted that and used it to push for more spending on unemployment benefits.

Or, it could be that the media actually decided to be civil and stop scapegoating Republicans for cheap political points.... Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

noonwitch
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Do they give any reason for not releasing the name of the shooter?

Generally, the Detroit Police don't release the name of someone they shot and either killed or injured until they track down and notify the next of kin.

They released it recently. Lamar Deshea Moore. Doesn't exactly sound somalian or muslim.

www.clickondetroit.com

I'm personally glad that they caught the east side rapist, as I live not far over the border in the eastern suburbs.

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Generally, the Detroit Police don't release the name of someone they shot and either killed or injured until they track down and notify the next of kin.

They released it recently. Lamar Deshea Moore. Doesn't exactly sound somalian or muslim.

www.clickondetroit.com

I'm personally glad that they caught the east side rapist, as I live not far over the border in the eastern suburbs.

Nope. But according to Paul Krugman and Kieth Olbermann, he shopped at a Supermarket that also sold tea! Coincidence? :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
What is your point?
That police layoffs have nothing to do with what goes on inside the precinct.

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM

www.clickondetroit.com

Gang affiliated? More than likely.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
That police layoffs have nothing to do with what goes on inside the precinct.

In what post did someone say they did?

PoliCon
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Clearly, we can extrapolate some things from that. First, he was not linked in any way, however tenuously, to the Tea Party or conservative politics in any manifestation. Doesn't make him a liberal or Democrat, it just means that he wasn't a conservative or Republican, and they couldn't link him in a way that would have allowed them to score cheap points from this. Second, he wasn't affiliated with any groups that Democrats like to point their fingers at. We can assume that he was not military, had no PTSD issues, and had never been in any of the armed services, is not an NRA member, doesn't belong to a church or synagogue, and doesn't belong to any militias or any other movement that they could pretend to track back to Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh. Third, he was not employed at anything that would have cast aspersions on American capitalism, nor was he recently laid off, or they would have highlighted that and used it to push for more spending on unemployment benefits.

Or, it could be that the media actually decided to be civil and stop scapegoating Republicans for cheap political points.... Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

exactly. :D

PoliCon
01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
After being arrested on drug charges nearly a decade ago, Lamar Moore told authorities he made a mistake and asked for a second chance "to prove I am worthy."

He got what he asked for, served his probation and largely stayed out of trouble. Until Sunday, when he strode into a Detroit police station with a shotgun and began firing at officers, wounding four before he was shot and killed.

"We're trying to figure out what it was to set him off like that," said Paula Hodges, who was close enough to Moore that he affectionately called her "grandma" even though they had no blood ties.

"We can't even imagine him doing that," Hodges said Monday after a sleepless night and a morning that failed to bring answers about the 38-year-old Army veteran's behavior. "He just wasn't, to me, that kind of person. I have nothing but praise for him."

Chief Ralph Godbee also slept little following the shooting in the 6th precinct lobby, making visits to the wounded officers and a return to the blood-splattered station.

"There's nothing in this that makes sense at all," Godbee said Monday. "The perpetrator's intent was evil."

Godbee noted that a relative of Moore's was scheduled to be sentenced Monday for a double homicide. But how _ or if _ that ties into the shooting may never be clear.

"It's a no-win situation. For those that are living they have to deal with it," said Hodges, who has been acting as a spokeswoman for Moore's family.

The last time relatives saw him was when he left his sister's house in Detroit around 2:45 p.m. Sunday, she said. Surveillance video shows Moore entering the precinct about 4:20 p.m., then beginning to shoot.

CONTINUED - http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2011/january/24/report-3-detroit-police-officers-shot-at-precinct.html

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 10:43 PM
In what post did someone say they did?

Didn't Detroit just lay off a bunch of cops ?.

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
After being arrested on drug charges nearly a decade ago, Lamar Moore told authorities he made a mistake and asked for a second chance "to prove I am worthy."

He got what he asked for, served his probation and largely stayed out of trouble. Until Sunday, when he strode into a Detroit police station with a shotgun and began firing at officers, wounding four before he was shot and killed.

"We're trying to figure out what it was to set him off like that," said Paula Hodges, who was close enough to Moore that he affectionately called her "grandma" even though they had no blood ties.

"We can't even imagine him doing that," Hodges said Monday after a sleepless night and a morning that failed to bring answers about the 38-year-old Army veteran's behavior. "He just wasn't, to me, that kind of person. I have nothing but praise for him."

Chief Ralph Godbee also slept little following the shooting in the 6th precinct lobby, making visits to the wounded officers and a return to the blood-splattered station.

"There's nothing in this that makes sense at all," Godbee said Monday. "The perpetrator's intent was evil."

Godbee noted that a relative of Moore's was scheduled to be sentenced Monday for a double homicide. But how _ or if _ that ties into the shooting may never be clear.

"It's a no-win situation. For those that are living they have to deal with it," said Hodges, who has been acting as a spokeswoman for Moore's family.

The last time relatives saw him was when he left his sister's house in Detroit around 2:45 p.m. Sunday, she said. Surveillance video shows Moore entering the precinct about 4:20 p.m., then beginning to shoot.

CONTINUED - http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2011/january/24/report-3-detroit-police-officers-shot-at-precinct.html

Liberals will no doubt blame this on the 2 wars.

Odysseus
01-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Yeah, those religious wars of the the Renaissance could set anyone off. :D

Rockntractor
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM

He was stating a fact, he didn't say that prevented them from doing their jobs, is he incorrect there was a layoff?

noonwitch
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM

The news report this morning stated that a few hours before the shooting, a woman came into that precinct and filed a report that she had been raped by the man who later committed the shooting.

It's an interesting detail. He may have thought if he killed all the cops, there wouldn't be any charges filed against him. What he didn't know is that it didn't matter-Detroit has a separate Sex Crimes unit, and once the initial report got put on the computer system, the case would have gone to them, and they operate out of 1300 Beaubien, which is DPD headquarters. That building is a fortress.

NJCardFan
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
He was stating a fact, he didn't say that prevented them from doing their jobs, is he incorrect there was a layoff?
Then why bring it up at all?

jediab
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
The news report this morning stated that a few hours before the shooting, a woman came into that precinct and filed a report that she had been raped by the man who later committed the shooting.

It's an interesting detail. He may have thought if he killed all the cops, there wouldn't be any charges filed against him. What he didn't know is that it didn't matter-Detroit has a separate Sex Crimes unit, and once the initial report got put on the computer system, the case would have gone to them, and they operate out of 1300 Beaubien, which is DPD headquarters. That building is a fortress.

I am thinking it might be suicide by cop. Too early to tell, but maybe he was depressed about something and wanted to end it in a blaze of glory sort of speak.

Rockntractor
01-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Then why bring it up at all?

Next time we'll get your permission.

noonwitch
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I am thinking it might be suicide by cop. Too early to tell, but maybe he was depressed about something and wanted to end it in a blaze of glory sort of speak.

If he knew he was going back to prison, he didn't want to go back for rape. The story around town is that the rape victim wasn't a woman, it was a girl (age not specified).

The hospital and two of the wives of downed officers gave a press conference yesterday. Both of the officers who are still hospitalized are in stable condition. The commander was shot in the back, and may have a spinal cord injury. The other officer was incredibly lucky-he was shot in the head, but the bullet didn't penetrate his skull. It cracked it, though. He had a lot of metal pieces stuck between the bone and the scalp, but he didn't have any damage to his brain. The doctors also removed a blood clot from his brain. The first thing he asked when he regained consiousness was how his commander was doing.

Odysseus
01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Next time we'll get your permission.

Is there a form for that somewhere?

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Is there a form for that somewhere?

Here lately I've needed a lot of them!:D