PDA

View Full Version : Explosion rocks Moscow's main airport

bijou
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Moscow's Domodedovo airport - the busiest in the Russian capital - has been rocked by an explosion that has reportedly killed 31 people.

More than 100 more are thought to have been injured in the blast, which reports suggest may have been the work of a suicide bomber.

Russia's chief investigator said the explosion was the work of terrorists.

The airport is 40km (25 miles) south-east of the city centre, and is popular with foreign workers and tourists.

Police have stepped up security across Russia's capital and at other airports, says the BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow. ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662

Gingersnap
01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
The Russians think it was a Muslim suicide bomber exploiting a security weakness with international luggage pickups. :mad:

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
The Russians think it was a Muslim suicide bomber exploiting a security weakness with international luggage pickups. :mad:

The nerve of those people releasing a description of the perpetrator!:mad:

Wei Wu Wei
01-24-2011, 10:49 AM
English language Russian News

http://www.livestation.com/channels/18-rt-english

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Context:

Russia Terrorism Timeline: Airport Bombing, Theater Standoff, Beslan Siege
January 24, 2011, 9:56 AM ET
http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2011/01/24/russia-terrorism-timeline-airport-bombing-theater-standoff-beslan-siege/
By WSJ Staff
Here is a timeline of major terrorist acts in Russia since 1999.

March – An explosion at the market in Vladikavkaz kills 64 people.
September - A truck bomb explodes near apartment blocks in Buinaksk, Dagestan, killing 61 people. Explosions in an apartment block in Moscow kill 94 people. Another set of Moscow apartment blocks are targeted as explosions kill 121, leaving 9 wounded.
December - The government HQ in Grozny is targeted by suicide bombers. 71 people killed and several hundred wounded.
May – Explosions near the local branch of the FSB in the village of Znamenskoye, Chechnya kill 52 people and leave 199 wounded.
August – An explosion in the military hospital in Mozdok (Northern Ossettia) kills 50 and wounds 82.
December – A suicide bomber on a train travelling from Kislovodsk to Mineralniye Vody kills 47 people and wounds 180.
February – Explosions on a metro train in Moscow. 40 people killed and 134 wounded.
June - Chechen militants attack the government buildings in Ingushetia. 98 people were killed, among them the acting interior minister of Ingushetia, Abukar Kostoyev.
August – Two airliners crash within minutes of each other after taking off from the same airport, killing a total of 90 people. Officials say explosive traces were found in the wreckage. President Vladimir Putin calls the crashes terrorist acts.
September - Terrorists capture a school in Beslan, Northern Ossettia. According to official estimates, 330 people were killed.
November – The “Nevsky express” explosion. A bomb explodes on an express train between Moscow and St. Petersburg leaving 27 people dead and more than 100 wounded.
March — Two blasts blamed on female suicide bombers ripped through packed Moscow trains during morning rush hour, killing at least 39 people, wounding dozens more and filling two stations with dense smoke as panicked commuters scrambled to escape.
A deadly explosion on Jan. 24 at Domodedovo Airport, the busiest of Moscow’s three commercial airports, has killed at least 31.

In every case, the culprits were Chechen Islamist terrorists. Meanwhile, Russia continues to aid Iran in the development of their nuclear arsenal. How's that appeasement working out for them?:rolleyes:

Arroyo_Doble
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
In every case, the culprits were Chechen Islamist terrorists. Meanwhile, Russia continues to aid Iran in the development of their nuclear arsenal. How's that appeasement working out for them?:rolleyes:

I have heard the Chechen terrorists (or separatists) associated with Saudi Arabia but not with Iran.

txradioguy
01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
I have heard the Chechen terrorists (or separatists) associated with Saudi Arabia but not with Iran.

That's because he didn't associate the Chechen's with Iran.

Arroyo_Doble
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
That's because he didn't associate the Chechen's with Iran.

So it was a non-sequitur?

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
First, let's define our terms. People who deliberately target and murder children en masse (remember Beslan? No? Look up to the list above) may or may not be separatists, but they are always terrorists.

Second, while you are correct that Iran does not overtly provide aid to the Chechens, they do provide aid to a number of organizations which do, including al Qaeda, the Muslim Brotherhood (Hamas is a Muslim Brotherhood subsidiary) and the Taliban in Afghanistan. These groups all have close ties to Chechen terrorists and provide them with training, weapons, funding and sanctuaries. Iran sees these groups as sharing a number of common enemies, specifically the US, Israel and pretty much all of Western Europe, but they haven't forgotten who first invaded Afghanistan in 1979. Russia has a far longer history of fighting Islamic regimes, both Shia and Sunni, than the US does, and when Iran has its nuclear weapons, don't expect them to feel any gratitude to the atheist and Christian Orthodox leadership in the Kremlin for arming them. Moscow is a target. Right now, they are enjoying a Hudna, or temporary truce, but the purpose of such a truce is to strengthen the Muslim side, until it can continue the jihad.

megimoo
01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Severed head found at Moscow airport thought to belong to suicide bomber

The severed head of a suspected suicide bomber was located Monday after a massive bomb ripped through a bustling Russian airport, killing at least 35 people and injuring dozens more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUQPlEr1puI

The explosion brought devastation to the arrivals hall of Domodedovo Airport, the busiest of Moscow's three airports, at 4:32pm local time.

Law enforcement officials told the RIA Novosti news agency that the bomb, which was detonated close to a cafe, had the equivalent power of five kilos (11 lbs) of TNT. It was packed with metal objects to maximize the potential damage.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/international/012411-severed-head-moscow-airport-ncx

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Severed head found at Moscow airport thought to belong to suicide bomber

The severed head of a suspected suicide bomber was located Monday after a massive bomb ripped through a bustling Russian airport, killing at least 35 people and injuring dozens more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUQPlEr1puI

The explosion brought devastation to the arrivals hall of Domodedovo Airport, the busiest of Moscow's three airports, at 4:32pm local time.

Law enforcement officials told the RIA Novosti news agency that the bomb, which was detonated close to a cafe, had the equivalent power of five kilos (11 lbs) of TNT. It was packed with metal objects to maximize the potential damage.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/international/012411-severed-head-moscow-airport-ncx

They need to bury him in a pigskin-lined coffin.

Sonnabend
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Both = MUSLIM

I can't wait to watch the Russians bring the hammer down, Life for Islamists in Russia is about to take a major turn for the worse....oh my heart bleeds.....

Apache
01-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Both = MUSLIM

I can't wait to watch the Russians bring the hammer down, Life for Islamists in Russia is about to take a major turn for the worse....oh my heart bleeds.....

He knows Sonna, semantics :rolleyes:

How's things goin' roo buddy?:D

Arroyo_Doble
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Both = MUSLIM

I would be willing to bet American money that Muslims kill more Muslims than any other religious or ethnic group and that Iran and Russia have more shared strategic interests in the Caspian Basin than conflicts.

If there is a case to be made that Iran is materially supporting Chechen rebels, terrorists, or green peas, I would like to see it. This is the first I have heard of it.

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Ah the religion of peace strikes again. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
If there is a case to be made that Iran is materially supporting Chechen rebels, terrorists, or green peas, I would like to see it. This is the first I have heard of it.

And, of course, your national security credentials are beyond reproach? :rolleyes:

Iran, as I said above, subsidizes terror groups that provide lateral support to the Chechens.

Arroyo_Doble
01-24-2011, 05:47 PM
And, of course, your national security credentials are beyond reproach? :rolleyes:

Iran, as I said above, subsidizes terror groups that provide lateral support to the Chechens.

I will put this more bluntly. After seeing you characterize a parade in New York that has been going on since 1985 as a deliberate provocation, I have decided that you are not to be trusted when it comes to anything having to do with Muslims. If you want to put forward something serious showing a major shift in Iranian policy toward Russia (never mind showing that Russia is inclined to engage in "appeasement"), I will check it out with an open mind.

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I will put this more bluntly. After seeing you characterize a parade in New York that has been going on since 1985 as a deliberate provocation, I have decided that you are not to be trusted when it comes to anything having to do with Muslims. If you want to put forward something serious showing a major shift in Iranian policy toward Russia (never mind showing that Russia is inclined to engage in "appeasement"), I will check it out with an open mind.

I will put this more bluntly. Your opinion as to my trustworthiness does not register on my "Give a $#/+" meter.

Do you really want to claim that Russia doesn't appease Iran? Russia has provided Iran with nuclear technology and missile technology. This has been thoroughly documented and is not open to debate. Russia has also done everything in its power to oppose the imposition of sanction on Iran. Again, these are matters of public record.

Iran also provides material support to terror groups that include groups with extensive ties to Chechen terrorists. Again, this is extremely well-documented.

So, you have Russia providing WMD tech to Iran, fighting to keep sanctions from being levied against Iran, and otherwise acting with extreme circumspection towards them, while Iran supports agencies which provide aid to the terrorists that Russia is fighting. What part of this do you deny?

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Why does Arroyo_Doble hate America?:confused:

Odysseus
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Because it makes him feel superior.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Because it makes him feel superior.

At least he has a really cool avatar!:D

Calypso Jones
01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
i wonder. is it too freaking much to ask that PERHAPS middle easterners or anyone looking like one DO NOT get to ride the planes. NOT EVEN come to the airport. wouldn't that solve at least some of the problems? Wouldn't it guarantee some safety to those who do have/want to fly? at least it would keep a lot of them in their own damn hell holes of countries.

perhaps you think this is a bit over the top? Is it over the top to ask Americans and other westerners to strip, be subject to fondling and theft of possessions in the pc attitude of non-profiling a group of people who are not to be trusted based on their own words and actions. sorta like frances fox pivens.

Rockntractor
01-24-2011, 07:49 PM
i wonder. is it too freaking much to ask that PERHAPS middle easterners or anyone looking like one DO NOT get to ride the planes. NOT EVEN come to the airport. wouldn't that solve at least some of the problems? Wouldn't it guarantee some safety to those who do have/want to fly? at least it would keep a lot of them in their own damn hell holes of countries.

perhaps you think this is a bit over the top? Is it over the top to ask Americans and other westerners to strip, be subject to fondling and theft of possessions in the pc attitude of non-profiling a group of people who are not to be trusted based on their own words and actions. sorta like frances fox pivens.

I'll meet you half way, we give the ones here one more plane ride.

Calypso Jones
01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I could go for that. One of their own as pilot.

NJCardFan
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Wouldn't stop them. To die makes one a martyr.

txradioguy
01-24-2011, 11:27 PM

He's not sure. He keeps changing his mind on why he does.

Jfor
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM

Hmm... Stupidicus gets banned again and Arroyal_Dumbass starts posting?

Rockntractor
01-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Hmm... Stupidicus gets banned again and Arroyal_Dumbass starts posting?

Oh no, Oreo is of much higher quality than that! He isn't a troll, he is just another misguided liberal.:D

Zathras
01-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Read up on EgyptAir Fight 990 before you act on that statement.

Odysseus
01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Read up on EgyptAir Fight 990 before you act on that statement.

As a general rule, you don't want a pilot who has ritually shaved off all of his body hair before the flight, shouts "Allah Akbar!!!" over the PA system and wears a T-Shirt that says "I joined the global jihad and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt and 72 virgins to help me out of it."