PDA

View Full Version : ICE: Nearly 600 Detained in Mississippi Plant Raid

Perilloux
08-27-2008, 07:19 AM
ICE: Nearly 600 Detained in Mississippi Plant Raid (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/WireStory?id=5655470&page=1)
Nearly 600 suspected illegal immigrants detained in Miss. in largest-single site raid ever
By HOLBROOK MOHR Associated Press Writer
LAUREL, Miss. August 26, 2008 (AP)

The largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history has caused panic among Hispanic families in this small southern Mississippi town, where federal agents rounded up nearly 600 plant workers suspected of being in the country illegally.

One worker caught in Monday's sweep at the Howard Industries transformer plant said fellow workers applauded as immigrants were taken into custody. Federal officials said a tip from a union member prompted them to start investigating several years ago.

Fabiola Pena, 21, cradled her 2-year-old daughter as she described a chaotic scene at the plant as the raid began, followed by clapping. "I was crying the whole time. I didn't know what to do," Pena said. "We didn't know what was happening because everyone started running. Some people thought it was a bomb but then we figured out it was immigration."

About 100 of the 595 detained workers were released for humanitarian reasons, many of them mothers who were fitted with electronic monitoring bracelets and allowed to go home to their children, officials said. About 475 other workers were transferred to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, La. Nine who were under 18 were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

enslaved1
08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Under the law, a company found guilty of employing illegal immigrants could lose public contracts for three years and the right to do business in Mississippi for one year.

The law also makes it a felony for an illegal immigrant to accept a job in Mississippi. A message was left with the district attorney's office after hours seeking comment on whether he would use the law to bring state charges against Howard Industries or the workers.

They had better bust the company's butt. This garbage will get cut severely once companies actually have consequences from their actions, other than waiting a week or so for the workers to get back from across the boarder.

M21
08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Good work. Let's see more of it. :cool:

MissKitty
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
ICE: Nearly 600 Detained in Mississippi Plant Raid (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/WireStory?id=5655470&page=1)
Nearly 600 suspected illegal immigrants detained in Miss. in largest-single site raid ever
By HOLBROOK MOHR Associated Press Writer
LAUREL, Miss. August 26, 2008 (AP)

The largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history has caused panic among Hispanic families in this small southern Mississippi town, where federal agents rounded up nearly 600 plant workers suspected of being in the country illegally.

One worker caught in Monday's sweep at the Howard Industries transformer plant said fellow workers applauded as immigrants were taken into custody. Federal officials said a tip from a union member prompted them to start investigating several years ago.

Fabiola Pena, 21, cradled her 2-year-old daughter as she described a chaotic scene at the plant as the raid began, followed by clapping. "I was crying the whole time. I didn't know what to do," Pena said. "We didn't know what was happening because everyone started running. Some people thought it was a bomb but then we figured out it was immigration."

About 100 of the 595 detained workers were released for humanitarian reasons, many of them mothers who were fitted with electronic monitoring bracelets and allowed to go home to their children, officials said. About 475 other workers were transferred to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, La. Nine who were under 18 were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

I don't agree with this. CPS can take them, just like when a citizen is arrested.

M21
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't agree with this. CPS can take them, just like when a citizen is arrested.

Letting them fend for themselves seems to be a cheaper alternative for the tax payers Mississppi.

LogansPapa
08-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Why is all of this a priority all of the sudden? Legacy rehab?:confused:

asdf2231
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Why is all of this a priority all of the sudden? Legacy rehab?:confused:

Removing Democrat Likely Voters. :cool:

MissKitty
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Letting them fend for themselves seems to be a cheaper alternative for the tax payers Mississppi.

The children of these lawbreakers have no choice. CPS can tend them until their parents are deported..then they can be sent back with them, or stay with CPS due to anchor baby status.

At any rate, letting the adults out with ankle bracelets is unacceptable, because citizens don't even have that respect paid to them.

LogansPapa
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Removing Democrat Likely Voters. :cool:

:D Oh, Rove in action - got it. ;)

LogansPapa
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
This was back when something might have happened to change history at our Southern border:

Bush, Fox to talk immigration, trade

September 5, 2001 Posted: 9:42 AM EDT (1342 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Mexican President Vicente Fox arrived in Washington late Tuesday with the status of the more than 3 million Mexicans living illegally in the United States at the top of his agenda.

But President Bush said Tuesday a major new immigration agreement was unlikely.

"This is a complex issue," he said. "It's going to take a while to bring all the different interests to the table. But we've made good progress so far."

M21
08-27-2008, 04:42 PM
The children of these lawbreakers have no choice. CPS can tend them until their parents are deported..then they can be sent back with them, or stay with CPS due to anchor baby status.

At any rate, letting the adults out with ankle bracelets is unacceptable, because citizens don't even have that respect paid to them.

That sounds a little too much like Texas CPS for my libertarian taste. I get concerned when the Government starts raising other peoples children.