PDA

View Full Version : Cash-Strapped Bergen, N.J. To Fight Snow With ‘Pickle Juice’

megimoo
01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
BERGENFIELD, N.J. (CBS 2) — Bergen County’s 230 plows and salting vehicles are at the ready for Wednesday’s snowfall, especially with their newest weapon for melting snow quickly — a briny mixture of salt and water that resembles pickle juice.

“No I’d rather be here than in California with earthquakes, but I wish it would stop,” said Lisa Frazier of Harlem.

“We actually pre-spray the properties, the sidewalks, the parking lots as a preventative before the snow is uncontrollable,” Bergen County Public Works Director Joe Crifasi told CBS 2′s Magee Hickey.The brine costs just 7 cents a gallon compared to $63 a ton for salt. Bergen County has already used up $3 million of its $4 million snow budget.

“We’re still not in the red. We’re in the black, but if we get a winter that continues like this, it’ll be very tough,” Bergen County Executive Director Kathe Donovan said.In contrast, New Jersey has already blown through its $20 million storm clean-up budget after the post-Christmas storm dumped more than 30 inches in parts of the state.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/25/cash-strapped-bergen-n-j-to-fight-snow-with-pickle-juice/

Calypso Jones
01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
so what's wrong with Olive brine?

fettpett
01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
interesting, at lest their streets will smell like pickles :D

megimoo
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
The place would smell like a Greek olive festival !

dixierat
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
The unintended consequence will be a rise in hotdog sales.

:cool:

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Pimentos will clog the spray nozzles.

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
It's just a salt brine - it doesn't smell like anything. Dill, garlic, and other spices make pickles smell like pickles. It must be a slow news days for the writer.

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
It's just a salt brine - it doesn't smell like anything. Dill, garlic, and other spices make pickles smell like pickles. It must be a slow news days for the writer.

Have you ever made brine cured pickles.

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Have you ever made brine cured pickles.

Oh, yes. I have a pickle crock. :D

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh, yes. I have a pickle crock. :D

The brine has vinegar bacteria form in it just like kraut. I certainly have noticed the smell in the room where they are curing.

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
The brine has vinegar bacteria form in it just like kraut. I certainly have noticed the smell in the room where they are curing.

The article didn't mention any vinegar and it's doubtful that any Lactobacillus could survive road or sidewalk conditions even if it had a food source (which it wouldn't). This just sounds like brine to me.

megimoo
01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
The brine has vinegar bacteria form in it just like kraut. I certainly have noticed the smell in the room where they are curing.My favorites are the garlic mustard or the old fashioned Garlic Kosher dills .Honey mustard or the Bread & Butter Pickle' are also good but the homemade are the best !

If you've been anywhere near a pickle factory in Farmingdale, New York you would know it.The pickle smell goes on for miles around.

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
The article didn't mention any vinegar and it's doubtful that any Lactobacillus could survive road or sidewalk conditions even if it had a food source (which it wouldn't). This just sounds like brine to me.
It starts out as brine and turns to vinegar as the pickles cure, just
like kraut.

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=pickles

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
No, I know how pickles are made. I just don't think the this city is slopping Lactobacillus all over the roads. I think they're just using a salt solution. No products of fermentation would help with snow-melting and they didn't mention dumping any food source into it for the bacteria to eat. No food = no pickle.

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 01:31 PM
No, I know how pickles are made. I just don't think the this city is slopping Lactobacillus all over the roads. I think they're just using a salt solution. No products of fermentation would help with snow-melting and they didn't mention dumping any food source into it for the bacteria to eat. No food = no pickle.

Okay but if I hear about a pig getting his feet pickled just walking down the street I'll rub your snout in it!:confused:

Apache
01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

What if a Mac Donald's exploded? See, plenty of food...:D

Rockntractor
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
What if a Mac Donald's exploded? See, plenty of food...:D

Little Miss Pris lives in this perfect world where nothing goes wrong!:rolleyes:

megimoo
01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Little Miss Pris lives in this perfect world where nothing goes wrong!:rolleyes:
Best be careful.If she gets riled up she'll turn you into a Half Sour pickled toad !

NJCardFan
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Can't understand how Bergen can be cash strapped. There's big money in that town so the property taxes alone should be able to fund a small country.