PDA

View Full Version : Twitter blocked in Egypt as protests turn violent

Gingersnap
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Twitter blocked in Egypt as protests turn violent (Video)
By Melissa Bell

http://i53.tinypic.com/16q5hx.jpg
Anti-government protesters gather at Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo. (Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty Images)

Protests have brought Cairo to a standstill this week as thousands have poured into the streets, shouting "Down with Mubarak" and clashing with riot police. The demonstrators are calling for an end to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's nearly 30 years in power and were inspired by the Tunisian uprising that ousted President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali on Jan. 14.

The protests were organized on Facebook and Twitter, though reports are now surfacing that Twitter is being blocked in Egypt.

Vodafone Egypt seems to confirm the news that Twitter has been blocked.

Wa Po Blog (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2011/01/egypt_clashes_break_out_in_vio.html)

Zafod
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
and it starts....

Odysseus
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Scary, and certainly dangerous, especially since the largest, best-organized and most dangerous anti-government faction is the Muslim Brotherhood, but this doesn't mean what it does in Tunisia. From http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/26/will_the_arab_revolutions_spread:

Simply put, most Arab regimes are quick studies when it comes to their own survival, and quickly adapt when challenged. Unlike tightly controlled Tunisia, states such as Egypt and Jordan have been grappling with protests movements for going on a decade now and have an all-too-rich experience with how to repress, divide, and defeat the new protest movements. Yesterday's massive demonstrations in Cairo may have shocked everyone -- outsiders, Egypt's government, even the protestors -- but in a country which has been rocked by pro-Palestine and anti-Iraq war protests, the Kefaya movement, the April 6 movement, the judges and lawyers protests, and massive labor unrest, the difference is in scale, not type

So we should be rooting for the least bad guys, which, in this case, is the government. If Mubarak falls, it is very likely that the new regime will be a radical Islamist one, which will be very very very bad for everyone. Such a regime would be happy to take Gaza back from Israel, as they are already in league with Hamas, and would also be inclined to work with Iraq to attack both Israel and the US. Expect massive arms smuggling to occur, not to mention deployment of Iranian nukes on Egyptian soil. In fact, the only plus side that I can see to that scenario is my job security.

Arroyo_Doble
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Expect massive arms smuggling to occur, not to mention deployment of Iranian nukes on Egyptian soil.

Risky. The Shia Persians might get their nukes back from the Sunni Arabs the hard way.

djones520
01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Risky. The Shia Persians might get their nukes back from the Sunni Arabs the hard way.

Only after the Israeli boogey man has been dealt with. And were that to happen, we'd become a much bigger "boogey man" for them to deal with.

Arroyo_Doble
01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Only after the Israeli boogey man has been dealt with.

Given the choice (as long as no one was watching), I would bet American money the Saudis, Egyptians, hell, every Sunni Arab power center with the exception of Syria (and I'm not sure about them) would rather see Iran militarily brutalized than Israel.

djones520
01-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Given the choice (as long as no one was watching), I would bet American money the Saudis, Egyptians, hell, every Sunni Arab power center with the exception of Syria (and I'm not sure about them) would rather see Iran militarily brutalized than Israel.

The powers that be maybe.

But when you take into account that those powers have spent years channelling thier populations anger at Israel to mask their own short comings, try explaining to them why you attacked a fellow Islamic nation and not the Zionist devil that they have created?

Lanie
01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I'd like to see them succeed, but I fear a repeat of Iran. :(

Dan D. Doty
01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
and it starts....

You got that right.

No one is going to like how this turns out ... expect for the Crazies.

Lanie
01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Scary, and certainly dangerous, especially since the largest, best-organized and most dangerous anti-government faction is the Muslim Brotherhood, but this doesn't mean what it does in Tunisia. From http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/26/will_the_arab_revolutions_spread:

So we should be rooting for the least bad guys, which, in this case, is the government. If Mubarak falls, it is very likely that the new regime will be a radical Islamist one, which will be very very very bad for everyone. Such a regime would be happy to take Gaza back from Israel, as they are already in league with Hamas, and would also be inclined to work with Iraq to attack both Israel and the US. Expect massive arms smuggling to occur, not to mention deployment of Iranian nukes on Egyptian soil. In fact, the only plus side that I can see to that scenario is my job security.

I don't see what's wrong with the idea of Eygpt getting Gaza back in light of the fact that Israel doesn't want the people already living there. I do see your point though. The people taking over may not be much better than the current dictatorship.

Odysseus
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
The Muslim Brotherhood is an Egyptian organization that has branched out, and founded Hamas. Iran has no problem providing arms to Hamas, despite them being fanatically Salafist Sunnis. An Iranian nuke site in the Sinai, run by Iranians, would be in the interests of the Muslim Brotherhood, which seeks the destruction of Israel at all costs. It would also serve as a protective umbrella against US intervention and would put the capitals of Western Europe within range of Islamic nukes. Such an alliance would eventually collapse along sectarian lines, but in the short term, it would result in the deaths of six million Israelis and possibly far more Europeans, and dead infidels are the goal of both groups. Also, remember that a key component of Twelver Shia ideology is that a conflagration must be initiated in order to summon the Twelfth Imam from his hiding place. I doubt that Ahmedinejad is thinking beyond that conflagration.

The regimes would, but significant percentages of the population have been radicalized and would be perfectly happy to see a second Holocaust. A popular uprising by the Salafists in Egypt would enjoy significant support for at least a couple of years, by which time, the above scenario could play out.

I don't see what's wrong with the idea of Eygpt getting Gaza back in light of the fact that Israel doesn't want the people already living there. I do see your point though. The people taking over may not be much better than the current dictatorship.

Under the current regime, it would have been fine, but Mubarak refused to take it back, as did Sadat before him. They don't want a couple of million restive Palestinians under their jurisdiction, because they have spent decades teaching them to be ungovernable and hateful. Look at what happened when the PLO went into Lebanon and Jordan for an idea of what that would be like for the Egyptians. The current regime is smart enough to know this. Under an Islamist regime that is allied with Hamas, and would funnel arms and other military aid to terrorists, Gaza would just be a jumping off point for concerted attacks. Hamas has already militarized Gaza, and the collapse of border controls on the Egyptian side would open the floodgates to more rockets, with greater ranges. Eventually, Israel would have no choice but to invade and scourge the area, creating a buffer. If they accomplished that, the anti-Israeli propagandists would whip up a frenzy of hatred. Jews in Europe are already seeing massive increases in the number and violence of attacks against them. In addition, such an act would inflame the Islamic world, which sees Israel as a colony of Europe and the US which divides the lands of the caliphate, and blames the former colonial powers for its existence. The violence that European Muslims would visit on their host countries would be horrific. And, that doesn't even take the delivery of Iranian nuclear weapons into the mix.

This could be very, very, very bad.

Dan D. Doty
01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
This could be very, very, very bad.

And the worse part, for us that is, is the Moonbats already cheering this on.
Hell, some of them would love it if Isreal was attacked.

The Dark storm is upon us now, and the insanity is going to get worse.

Paco
01-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Bloody and bruised: the journalist caught in Egypt unrest
The Guardian's man in Cairo tells of his beating and arrest at the hands of the security forces
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/27/egypt-riot-security-force-action?cat=world&type=article