PDA

View Full Version : "VX Nerve Agent Missing From Dugway Army Facility in Utah

megimoo
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Chemical Scare Prompted Lockdown of Dugway Army Facility in Utah

The mysterious lockdown of the Army’s huge Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah raised concern about the possible disappearance of a dangerous chemical weapon. The Army confirmed that fear today when it acknowledged locking down the facility because a vial of the deadly nerve gas had been missing.

The lockdown began at 5:24 p.m. on Wednesday. Employees were not allowed to leave and had to spend the night in their offices or cars, and no one was allowed to enter the facility.

The Army released a statement today acknowledging that it clamped down the facility because a vial of the nerve agent VX was missing. Less than one-fourth of a teaspoon of VX was missing during an inventory check, the Army said. The vial has been located.According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “VX is the most potent of all nerve agents.”
snip
n March 1968, 6,249 sheep died in Skull Valley, an area about 30 miles from Dugway's testing sites. The sheep were found to have been poisoned by a chemical. The sickening of the sheep coincided with several open-air tests of the nerve agent VX at Dugway.

The Army initially denied that VX had caused the deaths, but necropsies conducted on the dead sheep later identified the presence of VX. The Army never admitted liability, but did pay the ranchers for their losses.

On the official record, the claim was for 4,372 "disabled" sheep, of which about 2,150 were either killed outright by the VX exposure or were so critically injured that they needed to be euthanized on-site by veterinarians.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Dugway-lockdown-chemical-scare/2011/01/27/id/384105?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebookorking to “resolve a serious concern,”...
Utah base open after missing nerve agent vial located, officials say

(CNN) -- A Utah military facility that tests chemical and biological weapons was opened Thursday after a nearly 12-hour lockdown that officials said was prompted by a missing vial of "nerve agent." "On January 26, during a routine inventory of sensitive material in the chemical laboratory, Dugway officials discovered a discrepancy between the records and the agent on hand," said a statement issued by the U.S. Army's Dugway Proving Ground. "As a precaution, the commander immediately locked down the installation and began efforts to identify the cause of the discrepancy."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/01/27/utah.base.lockdown/?hpt=T2

Kay
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
In March 1968, 6,249 sheep died in Skull Valley, an area about 30 miles from Dugway's testing sites. The sheep were found to have been poisoned by a chemical. The sickening of the sheep coincided with several open-air tests of the nerve agent VX at Dugway.

Maybe that's what happened recently in the mass croaking of birds and fish?

Rockntractor
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Google 'operation bye bye blackbird'

Articulate_Ape
01-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Google 'operation bye bye blackbird'

Wow. WTF?

Calypso Jones
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
So. How many practicing Muslims and chinese agents do we have working there with high security clearance.

Articulate_Ape
01-27-2011, 11:22 PM
So. How many practicing Muslims and chinese agents do we have working there with high security clearance.

One could also ask why we have this shit in the first place. I think it's a question worth asking.

djones520
01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
One could also ask why we have this shit in the first place. I think it's a question worth asking.

To study it's effects, and how to combat it. We aren't the only ones who have it. And I'm rather glad knowing that the gear and training I receive in how to operate in a VX rich environment is gained from real world knowledge, and not just conjecture and what if's.

Kay
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM

I would like to think they are working on a cure for it if you've been exposed.
I have no problems with us having it and doing studies on the effects of it.
If it exists in the world, then you know it's out there and there's a potential
for our enemy to have and use it. We need to know what will stop it, what
it's effective kill radius is, etc.

Articulate_Ape
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
To study it's effects, and how to combat it. We aren't the only ones who have it. And I'm rather glad knowing that the gear and training I receive in how to operate in a VX rich environment is gained from real world knowledge, and not just conjecture and what if's.

Good answer. Thanks.

Articulate_Ape
01-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I would like to think they are working on a cure for it if you've been exposed.
I have no problems with us having it and doing studies on the effects of it.
If it exists in the world, then you know it's out there and there's a potential
for our enemy to have and use it. We need to know what will stop it, what
it's effective kill radius is, etc.

Good answer from you too. :)

Kay
01-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I hear they test it on apes.....:p

Rockntractor
01-27-2011, 11:50 PM
To make a Hamlet you have to break a few eggs.:confused:

Articulate_Ape
01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I hear they test it on apes.....:p

:mad: Have I ever mentioned that I am Sean Connery's doppelganger? ;)

fettpett
01-28-2011, 07:21 AM
:mad: Have I ever mentioned that I am Sean Connery's doppelganger? ;)

Connery? I think you got yourself mixed up with Cornelius:p:D

SarasotaRepub
01-28-2011, 07:57 AM
//They found the stuff??? HA...that's what they want you to believe!!!

How can you believe the MIC???? :mad:// DU Mode off.

:D

noonwitch
01-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Or just plain, ordinary american psychos.

dixierat
01-28-2011, 10:28 AM

VX, nor any other nerve agent I'm aware of, is species specific. VX and other chemical weapons are designed to be area denial weapons. Meaning that once they are released, they deny the affected area to life forms which breathe air. Some chemical weapons are more persistent than others. Hydrogen Cyanide, for example is very volatile. You can release it into an area and it will kill or disable EVERTHING in the area immediately. 5 minutes later, unprotected indiviuals can move into the area safely.

VX is much more persistent. For more info, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_(nerve_agent)

:cool:

Articulate_Ape
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Connery? I think you got yourself mixed up with Cornelius:p:D

HAHAHA! :D

Calypso Jones
01-28-2011, 11:50 PM
that's quite a jump isn't it. Sean Connery to Don Cornelius?