PDA

View Full Version : Crowds Clash With Police in 'Angry Friday' Protests as Egypt Cuts Internet,Cells

megimoo
01-28-2011, 09:11 AM
CAIRO - Heavily armed riot police battled thousands of protesters across Cairo on Friday, as the Egyptian government sought to squelch a burgeoning pro-democracy movement that appears to be gaining strength.

The government shut down Internet connections and cellular telephone service in an effort to disrupt communication among the demonstrators, who have relied heavily on social networking sites to organize their protests.

But crowds nevertheless surged onto the streets after noon prayers, in response to organizers' call for a day of protests dubbed "Angry Friday."

Tear gas blanketed much of this capital city's downtown, as demonstrators sought to converge on the centrally located Tahrir Square. They were met by police wielding clubs and water cannons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/25/AR2011012500866.html

PoliCon
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM
I like how the left is painting the rioters as being "pro-democracy." They're islamofasists with ties to terrorism and blood on their hands and WaPo calls them "a burgeoning pro-democracy movement." No disconnect from reality with these people at all. :rolleyes:

Starbuck
01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
In one account there was the comment that "even a Nobel Laureate" was hosed with a water cannon. He was Mohamed Mustafa ElBaradei, a person you may remember as being the less than effective head of the UN's Atomic Energy Agency.
Mohamed Mustafa ElBaradei wants to run Egypt. It may well be that someone besides their eternal ruler Mobarak should run the country, and I don't mean his son.

We'll see what sort of stuff Mrs Mobarak's son is made of in these next few weeks. I would be surprised if he is any different than the innumerable permanent heads of countries who have lead their countries to the brink of anarchy, and then over the brink.
I expect he will force the general population back into their houses for now. But eventually they will win like the protesters won in Iran back around 1980; they will win, and ruin the country. Egypt, long term, will join the radical Islam community. And real trouble could arise when Islamic fundamentalist control the Suez Canal.
I do not look forward to that.:(