PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a chocolate drought? World’s supply of sustainable cocoa could run out

Gingersnap
01-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Will there be a chocolate drought? World’s supply of sustainable cocoa could run out by 2014

By Simon Watkins And Jo Thornhill
Last updated at 9:04 AM on 28th January 2011

The world faces a chocolate ‘drought’ over the next few years, an expert warned yesterday.

Political unrest in the Ivory Coast, where 40 per cent of the world’s cocoa beans are grown, has ‘significantly’ depleted the number of certified fair trade cocoa farmers. Many have fled the West *African country, while fair trade training programmes have also come to a halt.

Fairtrade training programmes have ground to a halt because of the danger farmers face in rural areas. The situation is already affecting chocolate manufacturers, who are facing the highest cocoa prices for over 30 years. Prices jumped by 10 per cent this month alone. Analysts are predicting they could soon hit $3,720 per metric tonne - a level last seen in January 1979.

It follows a curb on international cocoa exports initiated earlier this week by the country's new president, Alassane Ouattara.

Angus Kennedy, the editor of Kennedy's Confection and a leading British chocolatier, said chocolate producers are facing 'one of the biggest challenges to hit the industry in recent history'. 'Supplies of sustainable cocoa are set to run out, it's that simple,' he said.

What about unsustainable cocoa? :confused:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351066/Will-chocolate-drought-World-s-supply-sustainable-cocoa-run-2014.html#ixzz1CLfbqR00

megimoo
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351066/Will-chocolate-drought-World-s-supply-sustainable-cocoa-run-2014.html#ixzz1CLfbqR00Transplant the trees to Jamaica and Barbados and grow it there !

Bailey
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Of God women are going to be more bitchy in the coming years. :(:D

Rockntractor
01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
There will be rioting!

Bailey
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
There will be rioting!

And all out chaos once a month:D

megimoo
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
There will be rioting!There will be blood...male blood !

Rebel Yell
01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Fuck the oil, THIS is a national emergency. Do you know how often I cower in the corner throwing Hershey's Kisses at my wife? About every fifth week.

Gingersnap
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
LOL! I must be the only woman in America with a 'take it or leave it' attitude about chocolate. Doesn't cocoa grow in South America? Do we need African chocolate?

Rebel Yell
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
LOL! I must be the only woman in America with a 'take it or leave it' attitude about chocolate. Doesn't cocoa grow in South America? Do we need African chocolate?

My wife doesn't eat hardly any chocolate, until......

Rockntractor
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

My wifes chocolate ravings ended when she went through the change , now I have them.

Odysseus
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM

This could lead to the formation of the Organization of Cocoa Exporting Countries, a cartel which could seriously inflate prices and create additional scarcity. I look forward to telling my grandchildren about the chocolate lines and the ensuing Cocoa Wars. Soon, suicide bombers, chanting that they are "Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs" will be detonating themselves at candy counters throughout the world. :eek:

Just look at the manic energy in this fanatic's eyes!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_B1MFnV0Dsvc/RpY2WIAf3tI/AAAAAAAAAG8/lDqVuoju9TE/s200/cuckoo2.gif

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351066/Will-chocolate-drought-World-s-supply-sustainable-cocoa-run-2014.html#ixzz1CLfbqR00

Apparently, they need to concentrate less on "fair trade" and concentrate more on physical security.

Rockntractor
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.

Arroyo_Doble
01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.

Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

Everyone feels good. Isn't that sweet?

Odysseus
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.

Arroyo_Doble
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.

I agree completely.

You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.

Gingersnap
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree completely.

You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.

You'd be less cynical if you ate more chocolate. :p

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Vietnam is probably planting fully grown cocoa trees/bushes/whatever as we speak.

Rockntractor
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM

They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
Suckers!

Arroyo_Doble
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
Suckers!

I have some bottled water to sell you for a buck fifty .... no, I swear! It's not from my tap!

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Not this lib. I only buy coffee from the health food store as gifts, and I have never understood why people pay good money for "real" jewelry.

Rebel Yell
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested.

ME, ME, ME!!!!!!!!!

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 05:02 PM

So what.

fettpett
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM

yeah, it's native to South America, however much of it isn't fair trade

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
You'd be less cynical if you ate more chocolate. :p

Chocolate dribbled Poppycock, to be specific.

fettpett
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
it also sounds like a great time to invest in Coco

Arroyo_Doble
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
So what.

Some people blanche at such things.

Others don't.

Some like to pretend they do.

Some like to pretend they don't.

All that matters is that buying habits aren't affected.

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Some people blanche at such things.

Others don't.

Some like to pretend they do.

Some like to pretend they don't.

All that matters is that buying habits aren't affected.

We're all slaves to chocolate.

Novaheart
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
yeah, it's native to South America, however much of it isn't fair trade

What does " fair trade" really mean?

fettpett
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
What does " fair trade" really mean?

Fair trade is an organized social movement and market-based approach that aims to help producers in developing countries make better trading conditions and promote sustainability. The movement advocates the payment of a higher price to producers as well as social and environmental standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade

Rockntractor
01-28-2011, 06:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade

are you on their bandwagon?

Odysseus
01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree completely.

I'm the one who gets to go and put down the slave trade when we decide to do it.

I have some bottled water to sell you for a buck fifty .... no, I swear! It's not from my tap!

I have some diet water to sell you. It's not seltzer, but the carbonation makes it look and taste like it. Drinking gas instead of air means fewer calories. I also have organic gasoline, made from free-range dinosaurs. :D

fettpett
01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
are you on their bandwagon?

only if it actually does something to stop slave labor...but like most libtrad ideas, I doubt it does much more than drive up costs

Hawkgirl
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
I've been searching for a reason to stock up......