PDA

View Full Version : Egypt Shows How Easily Internet Can Be Silenced

megimoo
01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
The move by Egyptian authorities to seal off the country almost entirely from the Internet shows how easily a state can isolate its people when telecoms providers are few and compliant.
snip

In an attempt to stop the frenzied online spread of dissent against President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule, not only Facebook and Twitter but the entire Internet was shut down overnight, leaving some 20 million users stranded.

Hundreds of service providers offer connections in Egypt, but just four own the infrastructure - Link Egypt, Vodafone/Raya [VOD-LN 178.15 -0.90 (-0.5%)], Telecom Egypt and Etisalat Misr.

Daniel Karrenberg, chief scientist at RIPE NCC, a European not-for-profit Internet infrastructure forum, says immature markets with few providers can achieve such shutdowns relatively easily.

"The more simple the topology is and the fewer Internet services providers there are, the easier it is for any government or the telco themselves to control access into any geographical area," he said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41311587

Meshuga Mikey
01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
The Genius press secratary sends tweet......to Egyptian Powers that be?

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3977/tweettwo.jpg

Lanie
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
I have a friend from Eygpt. I can't even talk to him about this, I'm sure. I can see him making a bunch of apologetic arguments though if he could talk.

megimoo
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Just Briefed By VERY Senior Retired CIA Officer. "Egypt Is Possible/Probable Disaster For US"

As many of you know, am old network TV newsie. Just tapped former proven source, retired VERY senior CIA officer. No Hq paper-pusher type, he is the real deal, a highly successful very senior ME field operator. Retired as ES-4.

From an intel assesment stanspoint, he is a proven source, with access to information, extensive field work in the area, no reason to lie and has always given good data in past.

His assessment (in shorthand:)

1. If Egypt falls, disaster for US. Put succinctly; "the horse we bet all our life savings on may be about to drop dead in the backstretch."

2. If Egypt gmvt falls, radical Muslim Brotherhood will be the new power, totally.

3. If Egypt falls, Jordan and Saudi are in trouble, but not necessarily gone. Even Syria is not safe.

4. Although Muslim Brotherhood would take over, the cause of revolt is not religion but the lack of jobs, horrible standard of living. Saudi and Jordan citizens have somewhat better conditions, so might be saved.

5. Egyptian Army is the absolute key. If Army stays local, Mubarak may be safe. If they falter, he is absolute toast.

6. Problem is, Army does not like Mubarak. They loved Sadat, he was one of them, but they do not like Hosni.

7. If Egypt falls, biggest winners are Iran and Russia. Iran becomes big kid on block. Russia desperately needs crude oil prices to go up to help economy. They prosper at $90 barrel crude. This could create $220, $250 a barrel crude oil prices

8. Big loser? Surprisingly not Israel. Just more enemies... who all know Israel will take war nuc if necessary to save self.... but due to US aid, Egyptian Army has great American equipment.

9. Biggest loser #2; Western Europe

10. Biggest loser #1; USA. Oil prices cripple economy. Even worse, word in every diplomatic circle becomes "See what happens to America's friends."

Bottom line; possible/probable disaster for US

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2665096/posts

Articulate_Ape
01-28-2011, 09:39 PM
The Genius press secratary sends tweet......to Egyptian Powers that be?

Gibbs is still the Press Secretary, dude. Hello?