PDA

View Full Version : Man Gets Leg Up on Would-Be Burglar

megimoo
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
A man police are calling a would-be burglar lost most of his calf muscles Monday after an Avenida Cañada homeowner shot him at close range with a 12-gauge shotgun.

“(The homeowner) said he didn’t have the heart to kill him,” Española Police Lt. Christian Lopez said. “He shot him in the legs.”

Joe Quintana, 28, was still in surgery at Española Hospital late Monday evening after he was shot by Joseph McNeil just before 9 a.m., Lopez said. A (slug) from McNeil’s (shotgun) tore through Quintana’s right calf muscle, which destroyed it, and went through his left calf, partially removing that muscle, according to Lopez, who said Quintana should be able to walk again with surgery and rehabilitation.

http://www.riograndesun.com/articles/2011/01/27/cops_courts/doc4d4055676bb6b411998627.txt

fettpett
01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
guess he'll have to limp away from the big dudes in prison

WhiteWolf
01-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Always glad to see the good guys win when it comes to protecting their families and homes. Gonna be a while before that thieving scumbucket can think about trying to break into another house. According to the article at the link, the scumbag had already faced charges of felony burglary and larceny last October.

The best way to stop a thief, short of chopping their hands off, is to break their fingers at each joint, in a different direction. That way, every time the look at their twisted, mangled hands they just might stop and think "hey, this happened because I took something that didn't belong to me".

I live in a small town, our whole county is 7 miles wide and about 30 miles long. On a good night, we have 3 cops on duty. I live close to 15 miles from town, way out in the country. We have been told we are basically on our own out here, and to do what we had to do to protect ourselves, homes and families.

SaintLouieWoman
01-30-2011, 09:20 AM
The sad thing is the taxpayers will have to bankroll all that guy's rehab. Then he's liable to sue the homeowner. That type plays the victim so well. Poor guy, shot by the big bad intended victim. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
01-30-2011, 10:44 AM
The sad thing is the taxpayers will have to bankroll all that guy's rehab. Then he's liable to sue the homeowner. That type plays the victim so well. Poor guy, shot by the big bad intended victim. :rolleyes:

I'm more concerned with the statements of the homeowner about his deliberations and the sequence of events. Lots of spineless district attorneys out there who will "let a jury decide" rather than take a principled stand. For his part, the homeowner should have kept his mouth shut sooner.

edit- Clarification: my concern is that the homeowner has made a case that he wasn't in fear for his life and that he shot the perp while the perp was trying to escape.

Calypso Jones
01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
woulda been cheaper in the long run and less trouble if he'd just killed him.

Kay
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
edit- Clarification: my concern is that the homeowner has made
a case that he wasn't in fear for his life and that he shot the perp
while the perp was trying to escape.

I agree with that. If I'm ever in that situation facing a home
intruder, they will be dead when the police arrive, and I'll
be appropriately "visibly shaken" when they arrive just as
a precaution. Even though we have good castle doctrine laws
here in Texas, I won't be giving a 1-800 defense attorney any
reason to say later that I used more force than necessary.

Rockntractor
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
The bullet hit his legs but he kept coming after me, so I blew his head of, sob sob!:confused:

Kay
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
LOL....yeah, just like that Rock. :)

WhiteWolf
01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm more concerned with the statements of the homeowner about his deliberations and the sequence of events. Lots of spineless district attorneys out there who will "let a jury decide" rather than take a principled stand. For his part, the homeowner should have kept his mouth shut sooner.

edit- Clarification: my concern is that the homeowner has made a case that he wasn't in fear for his life and that he shot the perp while the perp was trying to escape.

Try reading for comprehension next time. The officer on the scene already ruled it self defense at the scene:

"McNeil ordered Quintana to the ground, but he did not listen. The two men fought over the shotgun, and Quintana lost. Quintana, who was unarmed, ran past McNeil for the front door and tried to open it. However, the screen door to the house was dead-bolted and could only be opened with a key from the inside.

Trapped at the front door, Quintana ignored another command from McNeil to get on the ground, so McNeil shot him. The slug was lodged in the wall after it passed through both of Quintana’s legs.

Lopez said the shooting met a standard for self-defense. He said the only other way out of the house after the front door was for Quintana to run past McNeil for the back door.

“Hell, he already fought him one time for the gun,” Lopez said. “(McNeil) thought his life was in jeopardy.”

It was a good shoot, plain and simple.

Wei Wu Wei
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I love how people like to fantasize about killing another human being with extreme prejudice and without emotion. It's not enough to simply defend your home, you gotta pretend you are a sociopathic character in a bad movie.

WhiteWolf
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I love how people like to fantasize about killing another human being with extreme prejudice and without emotion. It's not enough to simply defend your home, you gotta pretend you are a sociopathic character in a bad movie.

Would you prefer to bake him cookies and try to psychoanalyze him? Maybe some hot cocoa and a hug would make him want to change his life around, huh? Do you live in some kind of magic Utopia where home invaders are good people, and magic unicorns fly around all day shitting skittles?

obx
01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
wee wee- Think of it as doing the world a favor.

AmPat
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Would you prefer to bake him cookies and try to psychoanalyze him? Maybe some hot cocoa and a hug would make him want to change his life around, huh? Do you live in some kind of magic Utopia where home invaders are good people, and magic unicorns fly around all day shitting skittles?
I must be feverish, I'm beginning to like Wolf.
:o:eek:

Rockntractor
01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I must be feverish, I'm beginning to like Wolf.
:o:eek:

As long as he potties on his T-dome newspaper I think he'll be okay!:D

Wei Wu Wei
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM

yep because it's either one of the other. you either blow the intruder and bake him a cake or you annihilate him with extreme prejudice, shooting his knees first, then executing him as he lays face down on the ground with a half-smirk on your face and a lit cigarette hanging out of the side of your mouth. "the only thing i feel when i kill a man is the recoil of my gun" :cool:

there is no middle ground of normal self-defense without tacking on some extreme cruelty on the end. so happy to finally have a chance to kill someone without repercussion? better take it and run with it

WhiteWolf
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
yep because it's either one of the other. you either blow the intruder and bake him a cake or you annihilate him with extreme prejudice, shooting his knees first, then executing him as he lays face down on the ground with a half-smirk on your face and a lit cigarette hanging out of the side of your mouth. "the only thing i feel when i kill a man is the recoil of my gun" :cool:

there is no middle ground of normal self-defense without tacking on some extreme cruelty on the end. so happy to finally have a chance to kill someone without repercussion? better take it and run with it

Who said anything about blowing the intruder? You think psychoanalyze= blow? Good think you're not a psychiatrist, ain't it?

Please point out where, exactly, this story says the intruder was shot in the head after he was shot in the knees. Thanks in advance!

Wei Wu Wei
01-30-2011, 04:42 PM
who said anything about psychoanalyzing the intruder or baking cookies or hugs?

you did, it was a stupid strategy to justify sick violent fantasies by suggesting that the only alternative is something equally excessive in kindness.

in reality no one expects anyone to bake cookies for a home intruder however just because you have an opportunity to use force doesn't mean now is your chance to live out all of your sick fantasies of killing other people. instead it's called normal moderate self-defense.

I'm pretty sure most people would use normal moderate self-defense in real life, I was just pointing out that it's a little sick but also totally predictable that people here are posting their violent fantasies of shooting, torturing, and killing other people, executing them after shooting their legs, then consciously and purposefully feigning emotions (because of course in their fantasy they feel no emotions towards killing people) so that they can skirt the system and avoid repurcussions for excessive force

SaintLouieWoman
01-30-2011, 05:55 PM
who said anything about psychoanalyzing the intruder or baking cookies or hugs?

you did, it was a stupid strategy to justify sick violent fantasies by suggesting that the only alternative is something equally excessive in kindness.

in reality no one expects anyone to bake cookies for a home intruder however just because you have an opportunity to use force doesn't mean now is your chance to live out all of your sick fantasies of killing other people. instead it's called normal moderate self-defense.

I'm pretty sure most people would use normal moderate self-defense in real life, I was just pointing out that it's a little sick but also totally predictable that people here are posting their violent fantasies of shooting, torturing, and killing other people, executing them after shooting their legs, then consciously and purposefully feigning emotions (because of course in their fantasy they feel no emotions towards killing people) so that they can skirt the system and avoid repurcussions for excessive force

I fail to see where folks here were posting about violent fantasies and talking of torture. Kay said she'd shoot them if they went after her and came into her house.

In Florida the budgets are tight. The last couple shootings the perp didn't emerge alive. In the last week two St Petersburg cops were killed and a US Marshall killed while attempting to serve papers on the guy. I didn't figure he'd emerge alive; he didn't. It's a shame that two good family men were killed by a total waste of a person with a long history of violence.