PDA

View Full Version : 100 Million Potentially Impacted by Next Storm

megimoo
01-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Plains, Midwest Impacts Northeast

What: Major winter storm complete with heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain to impact Rockies, Plains, Midwest

When: Monday Night (January 31) through midday Wednesday (February 2)

Cities Potentially Impacted: Denver | Amarillo | Dallas | Oklahoma City | Wichita | Kansas City | St. Louis | Tulsa | Chicago | Indianapolis | Cincinnati | Dayton | Lexington

Scenario: Low pressure will develop in north-central Texas and tap into a huge resource of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. As the storm pushes into the Midwest, moisture will be captured and transported northward into the Front Range of the Rockies, Plains and Midwest where it will meet up with a fresh arctic air mass.......http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/fitness/usforecasttuesdayhigh_large.html

Impacts: A stripe of snow will set up from western Texas and eastern Colorado eastward across the central Plains and into the Ohio Valley. Some areas could experience a snowfall of more than 6 inches.
http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/weeklyplannerusnational/usnationalweathertuesday_large.html

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/expansive-winter-storm-plains-midwest-northeast_2011-01-28

fettpett
01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
oh no...more snow!! oh wait....it's WINTER

Novaheart
01-29-2011, 08:35 PM
It's the big one ELizabeth....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hf00AP4eZmQ/S19Tx2K_jdI/AAAAAAAADwI/imG7zvrQpVo/s320/sanford.jpg

Kay
01-29-2011, 08:39 PM
If you look at the snow line over Texas I'm always right below it.
I'm sure I'll just get the bitter cold, and no moisture or flakes. :(

NJCardFan
01-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Is this that global warming thing I heard tell about?

PoliCon
01-29-2011, 09:56 PM

Shit! It is?? Where the hell have I been. ;)

PoliCon
01-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Looks like we're gonna get another year where it snows in all 50 states.

Rockntractor
01-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Looks like we're gonna get another year where it snows in all 50 states.

Maybe all 57!

namvet
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
blizzard warnings here for tues - high winds heavy snow. either 8-12 or 12-18. looks like im shopping tomorrow

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 10:08 AM
No, that can't be it. The Goreacle said that there wouldn't be any more winter. This must be global cooling.

If you look at the snow line over Texas I'm always right below it.
I'm sure I'll just get the bitter cold, and no moisture or flakes. :(

The flakes seem to congregate around Austin... :D

Gingersnap
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Temps are certainly dropping like a rock out here and the freezing drizzle is causing problems. Very cold temps tonight and tomorrow. The highs tomorrow will be well below zero. :(

Arroyo_Doble
01-31-2011, 10:24 AM
The flakes seem to congregate around Austin... :D

Good music, though.

FBIGuy
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I love global warming! It has really been good for the skiing this year.

namvet
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
hang on....Al's doing the best he can

http://newspatriot.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/45593_NewsSP.jpg

fettpett
01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
No, that can't be it. The Goreacle said that there wouldn't be any more winter. This must be global cooling.

ooohhhh...thats what this is?:eek: damn here I was hoping this was a normal winter...;):D

Wei Wu Wei
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Don't worry everyone, sure there is some "extreme" weather going on, but it has snowed big before so no big deal.

Rockntractor
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Don't worry everyone, sure there is some "extreme" weather going on, but it has snowed big before so no big deal.

Thanks Wei, that's a relief!

Apache
01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm right in the middle of the mix band... Putting the horses in the barn for the sleet and freezing rain part of the storm...

Now if I could get the boss to town to get the gas for the generators...

Apache
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM

What's that Wee? Pull your pants down, you're mumbling :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Everyone is crying and freaking out about this winter storm. hahaha so silly. someone really needs to educate these people and tell them that this is totally natural, it's happened before so chillax people

there is nothing to be concerned about, it has snowed before and crazy weather is a natural part of earth's ecosystem.

Apache
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Everyone is crying and freaking out about this winter storm. hahaha so silly. someone really needs to educate these people and tell them that this is totally natural, it's happened before so chillax people

there is nothing to be concerned about, it has snowed before and crazy weather is a natural part of earth's ecosystem.

Thank you for once again proving that you are an idiot...

Serious question: Have you found any polyps yet?

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Just like everyone was crying and freaking over hot weather. They even coined the term "global warming" to summarize the hysteria. Go figure.

Gingersnap
01-31-2011, 04:36 PM

It is completely natural, Wu Wu but people have been chattering about extreme weather events for the past 100,000 years and this is no exception. Just because people on discussion boards like share stories about unusual weather doesn't man that they buy into AGW.

You can be so tone-deaf sometimes.

*shakes head*

megimoo
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
It is completely natural, Wu Wu but people have been chattering about extreme weather events for the past 100,000 years and this is no exception. Just because people on discussion boards like share stories about unusual weather doesn't man that they buy into AGW.

You can be so tone-deaf sometimes.

*shakes head*......Naturally stupid ?

djones520
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Freezing rain here for the last 4 hours. Supposed to last until this time TOMORROW. Gonna be lots of ice on the ground.

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
FT Hood, tonight they're predicting thunderstorms, heavy wind and freezing rain. Tomorrow morning, 17 at the PT formation. I'm going to pick up a pair of 1.5" brass ball bearings and drop them in the middle of the formation, then announce that they've frozen off. :D

megimoo
01-31-2011, 05:13 PM
FT Hood, tonight they're predicting thunderstorms, heavy wind and freezing rain. Tomorrow morning, 17 at the PT formation. I'm going to pick up a pair of 1.5" brass ball bearings and drop them in the middle of the formation, then announce that they've frozen off. :D"Freezing the Balls Off the Brass Monkey ?"

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 05:15 PM
"Freezing the Balls Off the Brass Monkey ?"

Exactly. :D

fettpett
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
FT Hood, tonight they're predicting thunderstorms, heavy wind and freezing rain. Tomorrow morning, 17 at the PT formation. I'm going to pick up a pair of 1.5" brass ball bearings and drop them in the middle of the formation, then announce that they've frozen off. :D

wimp....balls freezing at 17, you should come spend some time up here

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 05:17 PM
wimp....balls freezing at 17, you should come spend some time up here

It's Texas. Our blood has thinned.

fettpett
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
It's Texas. Our blood has thinned.

thinned is right....what do they feed you down there? need to get you some meat on those bones

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
thinned is right....what do they feed you down there? need to get you some meat on those bones

For about a year after I got back from Iraq, I didn't feel heat, but if it got below 40, I got a chill. You acclimate and lose your tolerance for cold or heat if you're out of the environment.

I did OSUT at FT Knox in the winter and it got a lot colder than we expected, plus, the drill sergeants didn't let us suit up completely, so we were always chilly. One particularly cold morning, one of the drills turned to me and said, "You're from New York! It gets colder than this there! What do you do there?" I replied, "Drill sergeant, when it gets cold in New York, we build skyscrapers, fill them with warm air, and get in them." It was worth the push ups. :D

fettpett
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
For about a year after I got back from Iraq, I didn't feel heat, but if it got below 40, I got a chill. You acclimate and lose your tolerance for cold or heat if you're out of the environment.

I did OSUT at FT Knox in the winter and it got a lot colder than we expected, plus, the drill sergeants didn't let us suit up completely, so we were always chilly. One particularly cold morning, one of the drills turned to me and said, "You're from New York! It gets colder than this there! What do you do there?" I replied, "Drill sergeant, when it gets cold in New York, we build skyscrapers, fill them with warm air, and get in them." It was worth the push ups. :D

HAAHHAAH

Apache
01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh goody, here comes the rain/sleet :rolleyes:
Got everybody in outta this mess just in time...;)

malloc
01-31-2011, 07:26 PM
I think I'm getting some spill off from these storms. Can't you Northern types keep your weather to yourselves? You made my morning rainy and cold. I mean it was cloudy until 13:00 and it only got up to 65F or so today, which is just uninhabitable. Seriously, you guys keep your "weather" and "seasons" and the like up there.

fettpett
01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
I think I'm getting some spill off from these storms. Can't you Northern types keep your weather to yourselves? You made my morning rainy and cold. I mean it was cloudy until 13:00 and it only got up to 65F or so today, which is just uninhabitable. Seriously, you guys keep your "weather" and "seasons" and the like up there.

ahhh...poor poor southern bumkin can't handle a wittle cold? :D;)

malloc
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
ahhh...poor poor southern bumkin can't handle a wittle cold? :D;)

I'm not equipped to handle cold weather. I haven't seen my "winter coat" (a.k.a. light hoodie) for a couple of years.

We already have to worry about criminal aliens from the South, now we have to step up Arizona border security along our norther border to halt the advancing insufferable weather? When does it end?

fettpett
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not equipped to handle cold weather. I haven't seen my "winter coat" (a.k.a. light hoodie) for a couple of years.

We already have to worry about criminal aliens from the South, now we have to step up Arizona border security along our norther border to halt the advancing insufferable weather? When does it end?

AHAHAH, you should find your "winter coat" then :p it sounds more like a light spring jacket than a winter coat....

Apache
01-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Hey malloc, FUCK YOU :p:p

As a Native Arizonan I can say that...:D

Apache
01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Let the skating begin! Nice thin sheet of ice on EVERYTHING. Bummer is that the boots I got on now don't traction at all on this ice....:(

malloc
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey malloc, FUCK YOU :p:p

As a Native Arizonan I can say that...:D

LOL. I wonder how long it takes to lose the heat immunity and cold sensitivity when you move away from Southern AZ? I went to Bridgeport, CA in the Rockies, for Mountain Warfare School while I was in the Marines. I was in jeans with my sweater, windbreaker and my light gloves on and I thought I was all set for the cold weather. I've got to tell you, as soon as I stepped off the bus into that ice cold negative something degrees Fahrenheit death wind, I may as well have been on Europa. We were all from Arizona on that bus, and we looked like a formation of Michael J Foxes with all the shivering and shaking going on. I don't do the cold well.

Apache
01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
LOL. I wonder how long it takes to lose the heat immunity and cold sensitivity when you move away from Southern AZ? I went to Bridgeport, CA in the Rockies, for Mountain Warfare School while I was in the Marines. I was in jeans with my sweater, windbreaker and my light gloves on and I thought I was all set for the cold weather. I've got to tell you, as soon as I stepped off the bus into that ice cold negative something degrees Fahrenheit death wind, I may as well have been on Europa. We were all from Arizona on that bus, and we looked like a formation of Michael J Foxes with all the shivering and shaking going on. I don't do the cold well.

This is my fourth winter here, and they still laugh at me, but guess who keeps truckin' in the summer? :cool:

I LMAO when they say 84 is HOT:D

The desert rat in me will stay...

djones520
01-31-2011, 09:02 PM
I just went out, 5 hours into my shift. Scraped off a quarter inch of ice from my entire car.

fettpett
01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Hell I LMAO at all the Michiganders and Hoosiers that think it's cold over here, they close the schools if it gets into single digits...they only closed the schools if there was too much snow. We stood outside in the cold even negative windchills in grade school...here all the parents sit in their cars with their kids keeping them warm....pansy's

malloc
01-31-2011, 09:22 PM
here all the parents sit in their cars with their kids keeping them warm....pansy's

Forget that! If it's single digits, my kids walk to the bus stop. No way am I going out in that cold to drive them to the stop just so they can sit in the heated car. :D

Apache
01-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Hell I LMAO at all the Michiganders and Hoosiers that think it's cold over here, they close the schools if it gets into single digits...they only closed the schools if there was too much snow. We stood outside in the cold even negative windchills in grade school...here all the parents sit in their cars with their kids keeping them warm....pansy's

Kiss my transplanted Zonie ass... single digits is cold. I know, I feed the frinkin' animals ...:mad::p

Apache
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I just went out, 5 hours into my shift. Scraped off a quarter inch of ice from my entire car.

You're in the Air Force, stop it now, dammit :mad:

Apache
01-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Forget that! If it's single digits, my kids walk to the bus stop. No way am I going out in that cold to drive them to the stop just so they can sit in the heated car. :D

Wow! I can really see that...

Does that make me a bad person :confused:

:p

djones520
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
You're in the Air Force, stop it now, dammit :mad:

I'm actually enjoying this. My first real Freezing Rain experience.

Apache
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm actually enjoying this. My first real Freezing Rain experience.

You are dead to me...:mad:

fettpett
01-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Kiss my transplanted Zonie ass... single digits is cold. I know, I feed the frinkin' animals ...:mad::p

HAHAHAHAHA, it anit cold....it's just a bit nippy :D cold is -20 with a wind chill of -40 :D

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I have heavy freezing rain right now.

Apache
02-01-2011, 09:08 AM
It is slicker than snot on a doorknob outside. took me 10 minutes to get to the office and that's 100 yards away...:(

Still have power, yay! Over head lines and trees look like something out of a horror flick...:eek:

Apache
02-01-2011, 09:10 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, it anit cold....it's just a bit nippy :D cold is -20 with a wind chill of -40 :D

May a rabid weasel set itself upon your zipper til spring :mad:

fettpett
02-01-2011, 09:27 AM
May a rabid weasel set itself upon your zipper til spring :mad:

:D I'm protected from weasels :p

Apache
02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
:( I was protected from weasels :o

Fixxored :cool:

fettpett
02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Fixxored :cool:

ahahha....all the ice up here created a protective barrier to weasle attacks :D :p :cool:

Apache
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
ahahha....all the ice up here created a protective barrier to weasle attacks :D :p :cool:

CLEAR!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKydRWSG1LftuAxgV63i0yQzmwD0Sdz HxObm8YtyWrLACqp4s6sw

namvet
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I heard last night this will hit around 30 states.

AmPat
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Global warming has descended on Colorado Springs. It is minus OMG!
I love the mountains but wow, my truck is even complaining.

Odysseus
02-01-2011, 09:54 AM
HAAHHAAH
Well, the wind chill was -2 this morning. They cancelled the PT formation, and I was the only one who didn't get the word. Bummer, but I did get the metal balls for the gag. Instead, I told my boss what had happened, and when he asked me if it was cold out there, I let the balls drop, and said, "Ya think?" It took him a split second to pick up the gag, then he doubled over laughing. :D

CLEAR!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKydRWSG1LftuAxgV63i0yQzmwD0Sdz HxObm8YtyWrLACqp4s6sw

ROFLOL!

I don't care where you're from, a wind chill of -2 is cold. How cold? Britney Spears was seen getting out of a car, and she was wearing underwear!

Kay
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
At 9:00 AM it is 16 degrees here in Midland, Tx. There's a light layer of white stuff all over the ground but the sun is out and it will melt off by noon. Roads were slick this morning but look clear enough now for me to go in to work...unfortunately.

Apache
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
At 9:00 AM it is 16 degrees here in Midland, Tx. There's a light layer of white stuff all over the ground but the sun is out and it will melt off by noon. Roads were slick this morning but look clear enough now for me to go in to work...unfortunately.

You be careful Kay...;)

Gingersnap
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Global warming has descended on Colorado Springs. It is minus OMG!
I love the mountains but wow, my truck is even complaining.

LOL! It's minus OMG where I am too! I'm considerably north of you, though.

PoliCon
02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
33 and raining. :( although just north of me - where I work - it's all icy so no school for me today :D

Apache
02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
33 and raining. :( although just north of me - where I work - it's all icy so no school for me today :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M

fettpett
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM

I was wondering how your shortness was on posting this morning...

Haven't gotten any of the main storm here yet...got maybe an inch last night...thar be Thundersnow on it's way :D

Odysseus
02-01-2011, 01:58 PM
It is snowing at FT Hood!

malloc
02-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Currently it's 63 F and partly sunny, so you guys just keep on keeping that weather up there. I wan't my 70's back by the weekend! :mad:

AmPat
02-01-2011, 02:05 PM
This episode of Global warming is beginning to concern me. It was -19 and -40 with wind chill this morning. Tonight, colder with wind chill it will be -55.

I don't know how much of this Global Warming I can stand! Oh great Wilbur save us!!!:eek:

Wei Wu Wei
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
This episode of Global warming is beginning to concern me. It was -19 and -40 with wind chill this morning. Tonight, colder with wind chill it will be -55.

I don't know how much of this Global Warming I can stand! Oh great Wilbur save us!!!:eek:

increases in heat in the atmosphere changes air pressure which changes winds and jet streams which causes dramatic weather shifts like, for example, canadian weather patterns dropping down south into the states

Odysseus
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
increases in heat in the atmosphere changes air pressure which changes winds and jet streams which causes dramatic weather shifts like, for example, canadian weather patterns dropping down south into the states

The major factors in global climate are the angle of the Earth's axis, our distance from the sun and the ocean currents. I have as yet to see any explanation of how SUVs impact any of those.

Lager
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM

As open minded as you proport to be, I know you will admit that it's just a guess that increased heat in the atmosphere is causing this severe winter. You do agree that there are other possible causes, no? The last time Chicago got hit this badly, was around 1967, which I remember well.

Odysseus
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
As open minded as you proport to be, I know you will admit that it's just a guess that increased heat in the atmosphere is causing this severe winter. You do agree that their are other possible causes, no? The last time Chicago got hit this badly, was around 1967, which I remember well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/TO0ElAOjjJI/AAAAAAABxM4/43AK2TPRjS8/s1600/forced_perspective_photography_82.jpg
I think that you may have blown him away.

fettpett
02-01-2011, 05:29 PM

I suggest you go check that again...the shift in the Jet stream does this...and it's normal

Kay
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM

Boy was I wrong! It stayed bitter cold all day long and nothing melted.
It was a -4 wind chill here this morning I found out. I thought my fingers
were going to break like glass and fall off just walking in from the car.
I sure won't forget my gloves tomorrow morning. It's 17 now.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTumN327pNF9ern-vYD17ycQTJyMTHKR0nCA3gTvFKQPBeuLjTapg

fettpett
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Boy was I wrong! It stayed bitter cold all day long and nothing melted.
It was a -4 wind chill here this morning I found out. I thought my fingers
were going to break like glass and fall off just walking in from the car.
I sure won't forget my gloves tomorrow morning. It's 17 now.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTumN327pNF9ern-vYD17ycQTJyMTHKR0nCA3gTvFKQPBeuLjTapg

hehe...big baby :D LOL....i'm all bundled up in the house while this crap comes over Lake Michigan

patriot45
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Wow, you are the worst anti American here in a long time. I try to follow your crap posts and if you aren't just a disgusting troll like I think you are you are a terrible excuse for someone who lives in America.
Why don't you apologize then crawl into a hole and die?

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Wow, you are the worst anti American here in a long time. I try to follow your crap posts and if you aren't just a disgusting troll like I think you are you are a terrible excuse for someone who lives in America.
Why don't you apologize then crawl into a hole and die?

If he apologizes we could let him live.:confused:

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
FINALLY it stopped here. 10-12" now have see how long it takes for a plow to come thru. with clear skies the temp is going down to dangerously cold. that warning was just issued. this city is paralyzed . a state of emergency declared and they called up the guard

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
FINALLY it stopped here. 10-12" now have see how long it takes for a plow to come thru. with clear skies the temp is going down to dangerously cold. that warning was just issued. this city is paralyzed . a state of emergency declared and they called up the guard

That is pretty much our situation. The roads are blocked with stuck cars out here, you can't get through.
The best thing to do is stay home and drink coffee and eat cookies.

Gingersnap
02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
It's minus 15 F now but luckily "it feels like" minus 24. :)

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
It's minus 15 F now but luckily "it feels like" minus 24. :)

Why do they even bother when you get below zero, at these temps wind chill is meaningless.

Gingersnap
02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Why do they even bother when you get below zero, at these temps wind chill is meaningless.

I dunno really. I guess it helps people who want to act out "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. I know that if I chewed tobacco, I'd be out there experimenting with spitting right now.

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I dunno really. I guess it helps people who want to act out "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. I know that if I chewed tobacco, I'd be out there experimenting with spitting right now.

My goat accommodations are not designed for sub zero temperatures. i gave them extra feed tonight and they stampeded me and knocked me down for the second time today.

Gingersnap
02-01-2011, 11:58 PM
My goat accommodations are not designed for sub zero temperatures. i gave them extra feed tonight and they stampeded me and knocked me down for the second time today.

Can you build a fire in a metal barrel for them? Outside, I mean - I don't know your set-up. We can't accommodate all the horses inside in this kind of weather; just pregnant mares, younglings, and the favored elderly. At least we can put blankets on them and they're smart enough to hang out in the loafing sheds. I guess that wouldn't work with goats.

One year when it got super-cold over about 5 or 6 days, we rotated them inside and out. We also built fires for them but that was probably more for our psychological benefit than their physical health. We didn't lose any, though, but out neighbors lost cattle. Mostly, I think the ridiculous amounts of grain we fed them is what really saw them through.

I don't know much about goats but they are a lot smaller than horses and so more vulnerable. Does hot feed make a difference for them?

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Can you build a fire in a metal barrel for them? Outside, I mean - I don't know your set-up. We can't accommodate all the horses inside in this kind of weather; just pregnant mares, younglings, and the favored elderly. At least we can put blankets on them and they're smart enough to hang out in the loafing sheds. I guess that wouldn't work with goats.

One year when it got super-cold over about 5 or 6 days, we rotated them inside and out. We also built fires for them but that was probably more for our psychological benefit than their physical health. We didn't lose any, though, but out neighbors lost cattle. Mostly, I think the ridiculous amounts of grain we fed them is what really saw them through.

I don't know much about goats but they are a lot smaller than horses and so more vulnerable. Does hot feed make a difference for them?

I actually thought about the barrel this evening, tomorrow will be much cooler so I may try it.
They all have cover and even the little lamb seems to be okay. i remember when I was a kid in Minnesota we just increased their grain and they did alright with just their body heat and a wind break.
I feel sorry for them, the goats especially don't like to walk in snow.

Gingersnap
02-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I actually thought about the barrel this evening, tomorrow will be much cooler so I may try it.
They all have cover and even the little lamb seems to be okay. i remember when I was a kid in Minnesota we just increased their grain and they did alright with just their body heat and a wind break.
I feel sorry for them, the goats especially don't like to walk in snow.

If you can build them a fire, do it - you'll feel better anyway. I think grain is the key.

I stepped outside to check on Betelgeuse and saw that the cloud cover is breaking up. That means we'll be at minus 20 (for real) around daybreak (when it really gets the coldest in the winter). This means you will get the modified same in 12 hours or so.

Can you throw down some hay for them to walk on? I know it makes a huge mess. :(

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 12:47 AM
If you can build them a fire, do it - you'll feel better anyway. I think grain is the key.

I stepped outside to check on Betelgeuse and saw that the cloud cover is breaking up. That means we'll be at minus 20 (for real) around daybreak (when it really gets the coldest in the winter). This means you will get the modified same in 12 hours or so.

Can you throw down some hay for them to walk on? I know it makes a huge mess. :(

I feed them the half ton round bails so they will have plenty spread out fresh by the end of the day tomorrow, they waste about a fourth of it.

txradioguy
02-02-2011, 06:05 AM

Don't let Wilbur hear you say that

Odysseus
02-02-2011, 10:32 AM
9 degrees this morning, with a wind chill of -11 degrees, at FT Hood! FT Hood! Texas! We were freezing off parts of ourselves that we didn't know we had at PT (it doesn't help that you're limited to the PT sweats for outerwear, and even with thinsulate, it was bitter cold).

Where's Wilbur?

fettpett
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
9 degrees this morning, with a wind chill of -11 degrees, at FT Hood! FT Hood! Texas! We were freezing off parts of ourselves that we didn't know we had at PT (it doesn't help that you're limited to the PT sweats for outerwear, and even with thinsulate, it was bitter cold).

Where's Wilbur?

frozen in an ice block after going outside and praying to his god Algore to lift the storm and protect him from it's evils

Apache
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Gah! Alrighty folks, goodmornin' all:)

The wind picked up severely last night and popped a window at my place:( Rain and sleet were the guests until about 3:00am. Took me 45 minutes to get my door open this morning and about the same to open the barn... No fatalities which is always good...

The snow they predicted isn't coming (thank you Lord), we're just getting some light flurries..

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm buried under a layer of snow the depth of which is hard to determine because of all the wind. Estimates of snow fall run from 12 to 20 inches, I would guess the higher number because we have drifts 4 and 6 feet deep at the most and nowhere is there less than a foot. It is 5 degrees with an expected 10 below tonight, both are records for this area. The main road is still clogged with vehicles so were I to try to get down the driveway it would make no difference.

Apache
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm buried under a layer of snow the depth of which is hard to determine because of all the wind. Estimates of snow fall run from 12 to 20 inches, I would guess the higher number because we have drifts 4 and 6 feet deep at the most and nowhere is there less than a foot. It is 5 degrees with an expected 10 below tonight, both are records for this area. The main road is still clogged with vehicles so were I to try to get down the driveway it would make no difference.

I'll tell ya, I'd rather have the snow than the ice.Lord only knows when it will get warm enough here to melt it. At least the sleet took the shine off the ice so we're not slipping all over...

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I'll tell ya, I'd rather have the snow than the ice.Lord only knows when it will get warm enough here to melt it. At least the sleet took the shine off the ice so we're not slipping all over...

The ice is on the bottom under the snow, we had freezing rain and sleet the first two hours.

Apache
02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
The ice is on the bottom under the snow, we had freezing rain and sleet the first two hours.

Gotta just love this rural life, huh? :D

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Sunny and 80 here today...:p:D

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I just went out and moved a big bail of hay in close to the goat barn and filled their houses with it so they have a dry place to lay, I'm not looking forward to the 10 below tonight.

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I just went out and moved a big bail of hay in close to the goat barn and filled their houses with it so they have a dry place to lay, I'm not looking forward to the 10 below tonight.

Yeah I don't miss that Rock. You're a good guy for taking care of them like that.

SLW has a friend that has some horses, I forget what state she's in but she doesn't have a barn. She emailed she was thinking of bringin them in the house last night!!!:eek:

I hope she was kidding but I don't think soo...

djones520
02-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I've got up to an inch of ice in some spots. Had to chip my car out twice. Snow's been relatively light, maybe 2-3 inches.

namvet
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Chicago really got it in the head yesterday. worst blizzard since the one in 67.

im headed for 15 below tonite

Gingersnap
02-02-2011, 09:10 PM

How are they? Those silly Rangers I have are acting like colts running around and kicking up a fuss. They can't do math so I guess they don't know how cold they're supposed to be. :p

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
How are they? Those silly Rangers I have are acting like colts running around and kicking up a fuss. They can't do math so I guess they don't know how cold they're supposed to be. :p

They seem to be okay, the little lamb is tuff as hell, i can't believe that thing. They stampeded me again this morning so I put their feed dishes next to the fence so I can pour it over until they calm down.
The billy was shredding the big hay bale all over in front of their sheds so now they will have a dry place to walk. Saturday and Sunday will be above freezing and then we have 3 days of snow and more bitter cold temps.

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I worked up a little sweat walking the dawgs tonight. It's still about 70 and humid. :D

fettpett
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
it's still cold, but the roads are clear here

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I worked up a little sweat walking the dawgs tonight. It's still about 70 and humid. :D
I'll mail you some snow!:D

SarasotaRepub
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I'll mail you some snow!:D

No thank you!!! :p

namvet
02-02-2011, 09:39 PM
its a wopping 5 here. earlier this evening wife and i saw a young guy walking on the sidewalk. sweat pants and NO shirt. an ambulance came flying by and we pointed to him :D

Gingersnap
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
We got to 0 today and it felt pretty good. :D

Kay
02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
It is 14 here last I looked with -1 wind chill. My cable and Internet both are out. At least I have Internet on my cell phone to see the news. This has been the most bitter cold spell I can remember in a long long time. It snowed again last night but was such a dry powdery snow. So today it wasn't too slick or icy on roads so much as blowing dry snow drifting all around. Bitter cold to the bone is the only way to describe it. And typing on a cell phone sucks.

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
It is 14 here last I looked with -1 wind chill. My cable and Internet both are out. At least I have Internet on my cell phone to see the news. This has been the most bitter cold spell I can remember in a long long time. It snowed again last night but was such a dry powdery snow. So today it wasn't too slick or icy on roads so much as blowing dry snow drifting all around. Bitter cold to the bone is the only way to describe it. And typing on a cell phone sucks.

Can you tether your cell phone to your laptop via usb?

Kay
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
9 degrees this morning, with a wind chill of -11 degrees, at FT Hood! FT Hood! Texas!

Did you get to experience some of the "rolling blackouts". We did here several times. Texas (being as we are special) is the only state that has it's own electric grid. I can't post good on this dang phone but two interesting things in news today are the statewide rolling blackouts and that Mexico has agreed to send us some of their electricity. They are uploading it into our grid over night. I hope so as I had to get dressed this morning by candle light. :(

Kay
02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Can you tether your cell phone to your laptop via usb?

Oh I had not thought about that! I never have tried doing that before, but I will see if I can figure that out. I seem to recall that being something extra though that had to be added on my phone plan and I think I did not get that service. But I will check on it. Great idea Rock.

AmPat
02-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Update from Colorado.

-20 degrees for the second day in a row. I believe we are in a global warming trend though as it has rocketed up to -14. I'm getting the AC serviced in case it tops 30 next week.

Kay
02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
At 5:30 this morning it is 11 degrees and wind chill of zero here. Still no tv or internet and looks like it snowed again last night. It is solid white sheet out side.

SarasotaRepub
02-03-2011, 07:00 AM
We have Fog and 66.

I'll go away now...:D

fettpett
02-03-2011, 08:37 AM
it's 23 and sunny here...which means it will get COLD tonight if we don't get any cloud cover

Apache
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
We have Fog and 66.

I'll go away now...:D

I think that's a great idea :mad:

:p

Apache
02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
They can't forecast the weather for a week accurately, but they can tell us what the climate is going to be like in 20 years...:rolleyes:

They called for low single digits here today... guess what( not that I'm complaining) it's 19 and rising :D

Sun's out and it is clear as a bell. What a beautiful day!

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Global warming on the move.

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Thy plowed one lane down the middle of the road this morning but there is only one track on it so no one can get out of their driveway yet.

Apache
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Thy plowed one lane down the middle of the road this morning but there is only one track on it so no one can get out of their driveway yet.

Our driveway is slick as, well you know... gotta buy some new jeans cuz of it too :mad:

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Our driveway is slick as, well you know... gotta buy some new jeans cuz of it too :mad:

Were you floundering in it?

Apache
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Were you floundering in it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M

Kay
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Still 12 degrees here, but the sun is coming out a little. There are still light flakes of snow now and then, but we are supposed to be in the high 40's by tomorrow, so looks like it is finally about to clear off this afternoon. :)

Apache
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Still 12 degrees here, but the sun is coming out a little. There are still light flakes of snow now and then, but we are supposed to be in the high 40's by tomorrow, so looks like it is finally about to clear off this afternoon. :)

40's sound like heaven :cool:

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 03:32 PM

No kidding. It was colder than the Clinton's marriage here today.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 04:14 PM
No kidding. It was colder than the Clinton's marriage here today.

It's snowing here but the temps have crept up into the 20s. That's way better than minus OMG.

Apache
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
It's snowing here but the temps have crept up into the 20s. That's way better than minus OMG.

According to the thermometer we hit 26 today, I'll take it over what they forecasted....

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
According to the thermometer we hit 26 today, I'll take it over what they forecasted....

No kidding.

Zathras
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
You know there is one thing to be happy about here in California. Even though the state is being run in to the ground by the liberals and the illegal aliens are overrunning the state, I know this weekend I'll be enjoying warm weather in the 70's, wearing shorts and flip flops to the beach. When I see all the cold weather and such that's pounding the midwest and east, it makes me glad I'm here in California getting a tan, while the rest of you poor souls are bundled up inside trying to keep warm.

In other words.....http://www.bangingtunes.com/img/user/posts/gnasher_simpsons_nelson_haha2.gif

fettpett
02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
You know there is one thing to be happy about here in California. Even though the state is being run in to the ground by the liberals and the illegal aliens are overrunning the state, I know this weekend I'll be enjoying warm weather in the 70's, wearing shorts and flip flops to the beach. When I see all the cold weather and such that's pounding the midwest and east, it makes me glad I'm here in California getting a tan, while the rest of you poor souls are bundled up inside trying to keep warm.

In other words.....http://www.bangingtunes.com/img/user/posts/gnasher_simpsons_nelson_haha2.gif

take your Nelson and shove it :p :D

SarasotaRepub
02-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Did I mention it was 82 today here??? :confused::D

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Did I mention it was 82 today here??? :confused::D

You will soon be under water from global warming!:D

SarasotaRepub
02-03-2011, 09:19 PM

That's what AlGore keeps saying!!! :eek::D

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 09:22 PM
That's what AlGore keeps saying!!! :eek::D

All them old people moving down there could make it top heavy too, and it will twist off and capsize, could happen, just sayin':D

fettpett
02-03-2011, 09:25 PM
All them old people moving down there could make it top heavy too, and it will twist off and capsize, could happen, just sayin':D

just like CA will break off into the Ocean :D

PoliCon
02-03-2011, 11:48 PM
just like CA will break off into the Ocean :D

please don't get my hopes up! :(

Odysseus
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
It is snowing at FT Hood. Snowing. At FT Hood. Un-f***ing-believable.

Rockntractor
02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
It is snowing at FT Hood. Snowing. At FT Hood. Un-f***ing-believable.

You have to wonder where Hoot Fruit and Wilbur are during this cold weather outbreak?:confused:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/25218651.gif

PoliCon
02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
You have to wonder where Hoot Fruit and Wilbur are during this cold weather outbreak?:confused:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/25218651.gif

They were prolly sitting on beach chairs in the middle of Iowa waiting for the sea levels to rise when it happened. :rolleyes:

AmPat
02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

We got 4 more inches of global warming last night.

Rockntractor
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM

It is coming down here now, I got the drive way cleaned up enough last night to make an attempt at going to town today, now it's filling up again. Once I got out of the driveway I don't think I would have made the hills anyway. It doesn't matter now, I'm almost back to square one.

Odysseus
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM

We got slightly less, but we also had some serious ice on the roads. It took me over an hour to get from Temple to FT Hood, just over 20 milies. I also saw one of the most spectacular wrecks that I'd ever seen. Two cars had apparently collided head-on and then parted. One was on the shoulder of my side of the road, the other on the other shoulder, and sitting between them was the front wheel and axle of one of the cars. Police were already on the scene, or I'd have stopped to see if anyone needed help.

fettpett
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I was right about it getting cold last night, it sucked my fucking battery dry overnight, and it's BRAND NEW!!! I was so pissed.... luckily a friend came and gave me a jump

Odysseus
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
luckily a friend came and gave me a jump

Yes, but did he do anything for your battery? :D

namvet
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
photos. include a vid of a roof collapsing

photos (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353169/Winter-storm-Bomb-scene-blizzard-ice-snow-killed-12-crushed-buildings.html)

PoliCon
02-04-2011, 10:58 PM
there's a reason why you don't build flat roof buildings in heavy snow areas. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
We have millions in damages to boats and marinas, who would have thought?
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/120206_johns_baot_harbor_snow_damage_thumb.jpg

Apache
02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
YAY! SNOW! YAY! :rolleyes:

Kay
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
We have millions in damages to boats and marinas, who would have thought?
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/120206_johns_baot_harbor_snow_damage_thumb.jpg

Wow, I never would have thought about the weight of snow sinking boats.
It is 45, blue skies and bright sunshine here today. I love winter and cold
weather, but being below freezing 3 days in a row did get kind of old.

AmPat
02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
there's a reason why you don't build flat roof buildings in heavy snow areas. :rolleyes:
That "area" is now expanded to Atlanta. Global warming you see?:cool:

Apache
02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm getting buried up here and all you guys care about is boats?!:mad:

What do I have to do, wear an out-board :confused:

Odysseus
02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

http://www.foundshit.com/images/motorized-inline-skates.jpg

Apache
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
http://www.foundshit.com/images/motorized-inline-skates.jpg

I'd have to modify it with skis....:D

fettpett
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

ahh...poor Apache doesn't have a snow shovel? :p :D

Apache
02-05-2011, 02:22 PM
ahh...poor Apache doesn't have a snow shovel? :p :D

I laid it down...now I can't find it...:p

fettpett
02-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I laid it down...now I can't find it...:p

better start crawling around for it....don't want ya to lose before spring :D

Apache
02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
better start crawling around for it....don't want ya to lose before spring :D

...and I don't want to shovel snow...:p

Odysseus
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd have to modify it with skis....:D

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/022DFDE1-A040-40CD-9024-C046D7F39B8A/U1237544INP.jpg

Done. :D

Apache
02-05-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/67/022DFDE1-A040-40CD-9024-C046D7F39B8A/U1237544INP.jpg

Done. :D

LOL :p

lacarnut
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
How are those idiotic windmills working out for those in TX, MN and other parts of the country. Dependency on windmills is a joke. The hydraulic fluid froze up so they are dead in the water. The solution is to find a contractor who will heat the fluid with natural gas or electricity. I am not making this shit up. Between Obama and the greenies, we are going to be in a world of hurt with our insane energy policy.

Kay
02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
That's for sure on the windmills. We have a lot of those around here now.
I have this one friend who works for a major oil company (I'll just say one
of the big two) that invested in a wind field here. He says that they are
losing their ass on them and going way in the hole. But they get a big check
mark in the "promoting green energy" box and keep them for that reason only.

lacarnut
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
That's for sure on the windmills. We have a lot of those around here now.
I have this one friend who works for a major oil company (I'll just say one
of the big two) that invested in a wind field here. He says that they are
losing their ass on them and going way in the hole. But they get a big check
mark in the "promoting green energy" box and keep them for that reason only.

We can thank a lot of people for this costly abortion like Bush, Pickens, Obama and a bunch of idiot politicians. BTW, the Volt (GM's boondoggle financed by taxpayers) was awarded car of the year by a prominent car magazine. This POS hybrid has a range of 40 miles but loses 30% in cold weather. So, that reduces the range to 28 miles on electric power. I would be some pissed if I lived in TX where there are rolling blackouts. I betcha consumers are going to gouged for the electricity imported from Mexico. However, the lights will definitely be on for the Super Bowl.

Kay
02-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah the rolling blackout came through Midland the other day just as I was getting dressed for work. It was about 6:45 am. I was already started and had to finish putting my face on by candlelight. That was pretty scary. Looking into the mirror by candle light ...it was like one of those horror movies where some old woman started looking back at me! :eek: I can't wait to see my next electric bill. It will be even more scarier than that.

lacarnut
02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah the rolling blackout came through Midland the other day just as I was getting dressed for work. It was about 6:45 am. I was already started and had to finish putting my face on by candlelight. That was pretty scary. Looking into the mirror by candle light ...it was like one of those horror movies where some old woman started looking back at me!

I doubt that but a bunch of female lawyers would fit in that category.