PDA

View Full Version : Right-winger arrested with explosives outside Dearborn mosque

Carol
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=439&topic_id=309633

Rage for Order Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 03:54 PM
Original message
Right-winger arrested with explosives outside Dearborn mosque

Edited on Sun Jan-30-11 04:21 PM by Rage for Order
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110130/ap_on_re_us/us_mosq...

A 63-year-old Southern California man who had explosives in his vehicle was arrested outside one of the nation's largest mosques in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, authorities in Michigan said.

Dearborn police said Roger Stockham was arraigned Wednesday on one count of making a false report or threat of terrorism and one count of possessing explosives with an unlawful intent. Stockham had a large but undisclosed quantity of class-C fireworks including M-80s, which are outlawed in Michigan, Chief Ronald Haddad said.

Haddad said Stockham was arrested Monday evening without incident in the parking lot of Islamic Center of America, while a large group was gathered inside. He said police received a 911 call from a resident.

Haddad said authorities believe Stockham was acting alone but still take him "very seriously." He said Stockham has "a long history of anti-government activities," though he declined to elaborate.

*Edit to change post title to the less-specific "Right-winger"

**2nd edit to include information from other sources:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110130/NEWS02/110130013/Calif-man-jailed-alleged-plot-blow-up-Dearborn-mosque?odyssey=tab

The suspect was arrested in the parking lot of the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn on Monday, while hundreds were inside the mosque that sits along Ford Road, police said. He came to the city because of its large Arab-American and Muslim population, police said.

Roger Stockham, 63, was arraigned Wednesday on one count on a threat of terrorism or false report and one count of explosive-possession of bombs with unlawful intent for possession of Class C fireworks, Dearborn Police said. "He's very dangerous," Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad told the Free Press. "We took his threat to be very serious." Haddad said the man was previously known to law enforcement officials in other parts of the country. "He's had a long history of being angry with the United States government," Haddad said.

Stockham, in jail on a $500,000 bond, drove from California to Dearborn and was caught with a car packed with high-end fireworks. The FBI has been notified about the incident, Haddad said. "He picked Dearborn as a stop because of the huge Arab and Muslim population," Haddad said.

An employee at a local bar called police after overhearing violent threats allegedly made by the man, Islamic Center of America Executive Administrator Kassem Allie said. The employee was afraid that Stockham was going to target Muslims or Arabs in the area, he said.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/michigan_cops_army_vet_threatened_mosques_at_bar_f ound_with_guns_outside_islamic_center.php

snip

On a MySpace profile that likely belongs to Stockham, he writes that he's happy with how much he's lived. "Ready for it to be over, but have a policy I contend with often: So long as I am alive, I can't play dead," Stockham apparently writes.

He writes that he has "four ex-wives" is "on meds and doing better than my history would predict." He lists his heroes as Thomas Jefferson and Tom Payne.

This is getting just as old as accusing conservatives of racism. Soon, if it isn't already happening, an accusation like this will simply result in KNOWING that the leftists are simply lying for political gain and it won't even matter if the accusation is accurate. Crying wolf and all that.........

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110131/METRO01/101310345/Plot-to-blow-up-Dearborn-mosque-foiled-by-tip-to-police

Plot to blow up Dearborn mosque foiled by tip to police
Man arrested in Dearborn served time for threats against Bush
Jennifer Chambers and Francis X. Donnelly / The Detroit News

Dearborn A decorated Army veteran accused of plotting to blow up a Metro Detroit mosque served time in federal prison for threatening to kill President George W. Bush and bomb a Vermont veterans' clinic in 2002.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110131/METRO01/101310345/Plot-to-blow-up-Dearborn-mosque-foiled-by-tip-to-police#ixzz1CdCe8oqV

He posted on a site supporting Bradley Manning.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=141016299252357&topic=184

Roger Stockham
tremendous insite Glenn. meanerwhilst - i'v got a btr plan for identifying crazyhorse18: my muslim name is Hem Ahadin, n heez/weez gn due smthg to frgn-a garngddam-T that he n Hem end up in th same case, @ th same time, @ th World Court in the Hague. Oh, and pardon usn ifn smn gitzurt inna process. but shux, ain't mayhem-4-profit th name of their gig Fools even trained me to play it for them, not knowing i'd red L o Arabia's 7 p's, whrin he talx abt th "Ahad".

And he's a Muslim Convert.

Yea, sure he's a "right winger".

Liberals look like fools once again.

*Information was originally from Wizbang, http://wizbangblog.com/

If you haven't been there, check them out.

sakabatou Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 04:03 PM
Response to Original message
6. Now watch as Fox tries to make it look like a Dem/liberal did it.If he isn't mentally ill, he IS a liberal.

The Doctor. (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 04:17 PM
Response to Reply #7
13. Time to look up the definition of 'lie'.

It's hardly even misleading as there is a high likelihood that this guy watches Fox news and certainly isn't a liberal.

Rec to counter unrec.

oe; thanks for at least admitting the unrec. You ain't no coward.

Rockntractor
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
The peace loving Muslims of Dearborn? This can't be true, these are just hard working Americans!:confused:

noonwitch
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
He's a nutjob. He hates the government, and doesn't really care which party is in power. He's one of the guys who came back from Vietnam FUBAR.

He hates muslims, yet claims to be a convert. I don't know if this is a state or federal offense. If it's a state offense, well, he will likely be incarcerated at one of the fine institutions in Ionia, since that is where the supermax prison is located and also where the psychiatric prison is located. Either way, he'll be getting his Depakote and/or Seroquel for the rest of his life.

The mosque he allegedly tried to blow up is a local landmark. It's one of the more impressive ones around, it looks like something out of Arabian Nights.

Rockntractor
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
He's a nutjob. He hates the government, and doesn't really care which party is in power. He's one of the guys who came back from Vietnam FUBAR.

He hates muslims, yet claims to be a convert. I don't know if this is a state or federal offense. If it's a state offense, well, he will likely be incarcerated at one of the fine institutions in Ionia, since that is where the supermax prison is located and also where the psychiatric prison is located. Either way, he'll be getting his Depakote and/or Seroquel for the rest of his life.

The mosque he allegedly tried to blow up is a local landmark. It's one of the more impressive ones around, it looks like something out of Arabian Nights.

Oh yeah that's right, attacks from the left or Muslim are schizophrenic or nutz!

fettpett
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I can't imagine that he had enough M-80's to do much damage :rolleyes:

noonwitch
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh yeah that's right, attacks from the left or Muslim are schizophrenic or nutz!

Did you read the article? He's a nutjob. He hated the government when Bush was president, and he hates the government now that Obama is president. He's not on the left, he's not on the right. He's on the opposite side of whomever is pissing him off at any given moment.

NJCardFan
01-31-2011, 01:07 PM

I have a friend with half a thumb who might disagree.

Dearborn A decorated Army veteran accused of plotting to blow up a Metro Detroit mosque served time in federal prison for threatening to kill President George W. Bush and bomb a Vermont veterans' clinic in 2002.
Ruh-roh. So, to the DU, anyone pissed at the gubmint is a right winger...even though said 'right winger' wanted to kill Bush. Um, if you say so. :rolleyes:

FDK
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
oneshooter (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 04:03 PM
Response to Original message
7. There is no idication of his politics. Un rec for lies in post title. n/t

Rage for Order (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 04:16 PM
Response to Reply #11
12. I don't have to prove anything

It is my opinion that the guy is a right-winger based on the information provided. You can think whatever you want about it: that would be your opinion. See how that works?

DUmmie rule #3: Just make stuff up if it suits your cause.

Wei Wu Wei
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM

his Plan B attack was to light a bag of dog poo on fire in front of the building

Rebel Yell
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM

He converted to Islam so he'd have access to the Mosque's toilets.

AmPat
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Did you read the article? He's a nutjob. He hated the government when Bush was president, and he hates the government now that Obama is president. He's not on the left, he's not on the right. He's on the opposite side of whomever is pissing him off at any given moment.

Sure did, did you miss this part?

Rage for Order Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 03:54 PM
Original message
Right-winger arrested with explosives outside Dearborn mosque :rolleyes:
The not-too-subtle point is the leftist hate mongers are attempting to paint all these nutbags as "right-wing" when they are not only nut jobs, they are LEFTIST NUTJOBS!

fettpett
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I have a friend with half a thumb who might disagree.

correct...when held in your hand ;)

IF he was smart he would have taken all the powder out and used that to make a bomb...a bunch of fireworks ain't going to do much, except maybe set the building on fire.

He converted to Islam so he'd have access to the Mosque's toilets.

he should have gotten some chem labs lithium :D

Apache
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
The Doctor. (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-30-11 10:40 PM
Response to Reply #17
27. Well-founded opinion.
Intelligent speculation.

Reasonable assumption.

Substantive position.

...and no facts...

Odysseus
01-31-2011, 03:35 PM
his Plan B attack was to light a bag of dog poo on fire in front of the building
Or a copy of Das Kapital, which would have smelled as bad.

:rolleyes:
The not-too-subtle point is the leftist hate mongers are attempting to paint all these nutbags as "right-wing" when they are not only nut jobs, they are LEFTIST NUTJOBS!

Sounds like the only affiliation that this guy could really brag about was being a member of the Paranoid Schizophrenic Youth Culture Help Organization, or PSYCHO.

NJCardFan
01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
correct...when held in your hand ;)

IF he was smart he would have taken all the powder out and used that to make a bomb...a bunch of fireworks ain't going to do much, except maybe set the building on fire.

he should have gotten some chem labs lithium :D

Actually, my friend got his thumb blown off when someone threw an M-80 into his Jeep. He picked it up to throw it out when it went off.

fettpett
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Actually, my friend got his thumb blown off when someone threw an M-80 into his Jeep. He picked it up to throw it out when it went off.

ah, gotcha...that sucks ass...

noonwitch
02-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Sounds like the only affiliation that this guy could really brag about was being a member of the Paranoid Schizophrenic Youth Culture Help Organization, or PSYCHO.

That's a good one.

Odysseus
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
That's a good one.

Feel free to use it at the office. :D

noonwitch
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes:

I thought it was established here that DUers are nutjobs themselves. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious.

AmPat
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I thought it was established here that DUers are nutjobs themselves. I didn't think I needed to state the obvious.

You seem to believe I am limiting my comments to DU leftists.

rjas77
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Anybody gotta mole to burn over there?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110131/METRO01/101310345/Plot-to-blow-up-Dearborn-mosque-foiled-by-tip-to-police

obx
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
When I was a kid we would fish with M-80's. Fill a coke bottle a little more than half way with water, cram a firecracker in the neck and throw it in.

Lanie
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Why would a Muslim want to blow up a mosque. That doesn't even make sense. Maybe he was only born Muslim?

Lanie
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Exactly. Extremists don't usually care for anybody who is currently the President. There might be one he/she hates worse, but that doesn't mean they like either side.

Rockntractor
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/the-nile.jpg

noonwitch
02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
When I was a kid we would fish with M-80's. Fill a coke bottle a little more than half way with water, cram a firecracker in the neck and throw it in.

One of my friends and I blew up a mailbox with an M-80 once. All firecrackers are illegal in Michigan, but she had just been to Florida. That was an M-80 from the 70s, so it was a quarter stick of dynamite.

We get our fireworks in Ohio and Indiana, but you can't get M-80s there.

AmPat
02-03-2011, 10:13 AM
One of my friends and I blew up a mailbox with an M-80 once. All firecrackers are illegal in Michigan, but she had just been to Florida. That was an M-80 from the 70s, so it was a quarter stick of dynamite.

We get our fireworks in Ohio and Indiana, but you can't get M-80s there.
Terrorist!:eek:

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM
M80's were fun. The last time I bought some, they were fakes. DO they still make the real ones?

hoplophobe
02-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Why would a Muslim want to blow up a mosque. That doesn't even make sense. Maybe he was only born Muslim?
Wrong kind of Muslims?

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Muslims blow up each other's mosques all the time. Remember Tom Lehrer's song, National Brotherhood Week? It's like that.

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks;
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during National Brotherhood Week,
National Brotherhood Week,
Lena Horne and Sheriff Clark are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand,
You can tolerate him if you try!

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the Moslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's National Everyone-Smile-At-One-Another-Hood Week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear;
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!

The only difference is that there is no Pan-Islamic Brotherhood Week, but if there were, it might go like this:\

Oh, the Sunni hate the Shia
And the Shia hate the Sunni
It would all be very funny,
If they didn't hate everyone else.

Arab terrorists will try to turn the other cheek.
They won't burn our flags,
or stone their girls or fags;
You're fine if you are gone, before it's Ramadan
But hurry up before you're nuked by Iran.