PDA

View Full Version : FCC moving forward with “super Wi-Fi” proposal

Gingersnap
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
FCC moving forward with “super Wi-Fi” proposal

* By: Aemon Malone •
* January 31, 2011

A handful of companies, including Google, have been selected to help test the unused TV frequencies known as white spaces, marking a step towards "a world with super Wi-Fi."

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) last week unveiled a list of nine companies selected to manage databases that will contain information about the availability of white spaces, unused TV frequencies with wireless broadband potential. In September, the FCC approved a proposal for using white spaces to bring about the next generation of Wi-Fi, or “super Wi-Fi” as its frequently called.

Google, a longtime advocate of re-purposing white spaces for Wi-Fi, was among the companies selected by the FCC. “Just last fall the Commission adopted final technical rules on white spaces – the unused, public airwaves that we believe will lead to the next generation of wireless technologies,” Larry Alder, business operations principal at Google, wrote in a blog post. “Today we’re one step closer to a world with ‘super Wi-Fi’”

Before companies can begin to make use of white spaces, the airwaves need to be tested to ensure there’s no interference from other wireless signals — a common concern cited by groups opposed to using white spaces. If tests prove white spaces are viable, the airwaves could be used to broadcast a “super Wi-Fi” network with better bandwidth and an extended range — up to 50 miles per access point.

There are several potential uses of white space, including the not-so-modest proposal of using the airwaves to form a nationwide Wi-Fi network. Another possible application of “super Wi-Fi” is using the broadband spectrum to help wireless providers overburdened by smartphone data traffic — AT&T and its iPhone woes, for example.

Digital Trends (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/fcc-moving-forward-with-super-wi-fi-proposal/)

fettpett
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
it's not "super wi-fi" it's WiMAX, I hope it gets past as it will make life a lot easier for rural areas to get boardband internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-max

Zafod
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
it's not "super wi-fi" it's WiMAX, I hope it gets past as it will make life a lot easier for rural areas to get boardband internet

doesnt sprint already has wimax? insnt wimax 4g?

fettpett
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
doesnt sprint already has wimax? insnt wimax 4g?

yes, but wimax has been around for a while, at lest 6 years, Sprint was the first to jump on the bandwagon. There's probably is in the higher spectrum's, this is for the white space, the unused spectrum that opened up after TV switched from analog to digital. They just want to make sure that it doesn't interfere with other devices

this "super wifi" was made up by the FCC probably as a blanket term to describe WiMax

Zafod
01-31-2011, 04:43 PM
yes, but wimax has been around for a while, at lest 6 years, Sprint was the first to jump on the bandwagon. There's probably is in the higher spectrum's, this is for the white space, the unused spectrum that opened up after TV switched from analog to digital. They just want to make sure that it doesn't interfere with other devices

this "super wifi" was made up by the FCC probably as a blanket term to describe WiMax

ahhhh so I guess wimax and lte fit in to that boat huh?

fettpett
01-31-2011, 05:27 PM
ahhhh so I guess wimax and lte fit in to that boat huh?

LTE is a supped up 3G, it's not true 4G. WiMax is true 4G, and has much more expandability than other types

Novaheart
01-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Are you sure?

I ask because in downtown St Pete we have wi-fi open air (by subscription), but over here at the beaches they are trying to sell "wi-max" which when the salesman described it to me sounded more like a cellphone connection to the internet than actual wi-fi.

The built in wi-fi transceiver in a laptop can connect to the downtown wifi with no additional equipment, to connect to wimax you have to have an accessory that they sell.

fettpett
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Are you sure?

I ask because in downtown St Pete we have wi-fi open air (by subscription), but over here at the beaches they are trying to sell "wi-max" which when the salesman described it to me sounded more like a cellphone connection to the internet than actual wi-fi.

The built in wi-fi transceiver in a laptop can connect to the downtown wifi with no additional equipment, to connect to wimax you have to have an accessory that they sell.

yeah, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Wi-Fi

Instead of using the 2.4GHz radio frequency of regular Wi-Fi, the 'Super Wi-Fi' proposal uses the lower-frequency white spaces between television channel frequencies.[2] These lower frequencies allow the signal to travel further and penetrate walls better than the higher frequencies previously used.

Wi-Max can be configured to use these frequencies, it's built into it's structure and standards. WiFi doesn't, they would have to develop a completely new structure and standards to operate in the space.

The reason you need a different adapter is because it uses a different standard and needs different hardware. The wifi you have downtown use many different routers and hotspots. with Wi-Max you'd only have one spot for a 10 mile radius