PDA

View Full Version : Jack Lucas Dies at 80;Earned Medal of Honor at 17

megimoo
06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
JACKSON, Miss. — Jack Lucas, who at 14 lied his way into the military to serve in World War II and became the youngest marine ever to receive the Medal of Honor, died Thursday in Hattiesburg, Miss., where he made his home. He was 80.
Jacklyn Jack Lucas
Mr. Lucas had been hospitalized with leukemia and died after asking doctors to remove a dialysis machine, said his wife, Ruby.Jacklyn Lucas, known as Jack, was just six days past his 17th birthday when, in February 1945, his heroism at Iwo Jima earned him the medal. He used his body to shield three members of his squad from two grenades and was nearly killed when one exploded.

“A couple of grenades rolled into the trench,” Mr. Lucas said shortly before he received the medal from President Harry S. Truman in October 1945. “I hollered to my pals to get out and did a Superman dive at the grenades.”

But “I wasn’t a Superman after I got hit,” he added, recalling the scream he let out “when that thing went off.”

Mr. Lucas was left with more than 250 pieces of shrapnel in his body and had 26 operations in the following months. He was discharged as a private first class.

The youngest member of the military to receive the Medal of Honor in any conflict other than the Civil War, he became a symbol of patriotism in the ensuing decades, meeting presidents and traveling the world to speak with frontline troops and fellow veterans.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/us/06lucas.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries&oref=slogin

comments:
Sadly, in today's military he would have been court marshalled for lying about his age, then the defeatocrats would have made him a poster boy UN claiming Pres Bush was now enlisting child soldiers...
A great man however, one to be emulated and revered.

RIP Jack Lucas a good an gracious American man !
In the USA there are still men among men. They're Veterans of our Armed Forces, or on Active Duty or in the Reserves or National Guard. The USA has no shortage of real men...
Forget all the worthless trash in D.C. It is the people like Jack Lucas who really run the country, thank God.
.................................................. .
Heres a real Marine. Attention on Deck.
.................................................. .....
Back suring the "Greatest Generation" we respected and honored men of courage. Today our military is just as valient and brave, in spite of the fact the "PUKES" like Representative Murtha want to call them killers. God Bless all who keep us safe !!

Molon Labe
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I always enjoy reading about MOH recipients. Thanks for the post. I actually was very fortunated to have served with one for a short time early in my adult life