PDA

View Full Version : NYC bans smoking in parks, square, beaches, etc

Calypso Jones
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SMOKING_IN_PARKS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-02-17-25-36

The smoking ban will cover 1,700 parks and 14 miles of public beaches plus boardwalks, marinas and pedestrian plazas like the one in the heart of Times Square. The ban goes into effect 90 days after Bloomberg signs the bill; the mayor has 20 days to do it.

what the hell is happening in this country. Run by a bunch of puss-cakes.

Rockntractor
02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
They are coming for the cookies next!:eek:

noonwitch
02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I smoke at the beach. I always clean up the cigarette butts afterwards and throw them away. There is no other risk to the public-it's always windy at the beach, so the smoke never lingers.

I agree that no one wants to go to a beach littered with cigarette butts.

PoliCon
02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I smoke at the beach. I always clean up the cigarette butts afterwards and throw them away. There is no other risk to the public-it's always windy at the beach, so the smoke never lingers.

There are already laws against littering. I wonder. . . . does this ban also apply to Pot?

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 09:51 AM

You said you quit.:confused:

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Oh, yes they are. All of us who stand around smirking at what's happened to the smokers are in line to get our own particular pleasure/vices dictated by the State shortly. You wait and see. :(

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
They will pull my cookies from my cold dead hands!:mad:

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I quit two years ago, and I confess that I am finding myself annoyed by public smoking.
I am also annoyed by people in public who are stoned, drunk, medicated, or brain damaged from being stoned, drunk, or medicated but being annoyed by other people is the price you pay for living at the beach. If you want to be alone, I think you have to go to the woods or swamps.

Cigarette smoking will die under its own weight soon enough. Why annoy the people who are hanging on to it? For some, it's their last vice. I don't drink, use drugs, and now I don't smoke. How did I get to be like this? Each of those things became more trouble than it was worth.

Calypso Jones
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
well you know...it WAS a free dam country. And people got to engage in their own personal bad habits. If you had something to say about it, feel free. People were also a little less insensitive to the comfort of others in a public setting. It is NOT the government job to regulate all of us. I'll put up with a smoker since i recognize the intent of government intervention. SHOOT. I even smoke on The Great Smoke OUT day. I buy those little slim cigarillos. And i'm NOT EVEN a smoker.

lacarnut
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
There are already laws against littering. I wonder. . . . does this ban also apply to Pot?

Pot smokers will get a free pass.

CueSi
02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

That, I'll agree with. Can't enjoy a damn thing these days.

~QC

obx
02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Another reason not to go to NY.

Madisonian
02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Another reason not to go to NY.
Aside from being well... New York, what other reason is needed not to go there?

Madisonian
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Oh, yes they are. All of us who stand around smirking at what's happened to the smokers are in line to get our own particular pleasure/vices dictated by the State shortly. You wait and see. :(
Trans fats
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Happy Meals
School lunches
Corporate Average Fuel Economy
Seat belts....

I challenge you to name one thing that the state, federal or local government has not gotten their fingers into.

noonwitch
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
You said you quit.:confused:

No, I didn't. I've cut back, due to the price and to not smoking in my house or car.

I don't lie to my mom about smoking, so why would I lie about it to you?

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Trans fats
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Happy Meals
School lunches
Corporate Average Fuel Economy
Seat belts....

I challenge you to name one thing that the state, federal or local government has not gotten their fingers into.

Gender reassignment surgery? :confused:

LOL!

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
No, I didn't. I've cut back, due to the price and to not smoking in my house or car.

I don't lie to my mom about smoking, so why would I lie about it to you?

It's a bad example to the little children, just sayin'

Madisonian
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Gender reassignment surgery? :confused:

LOL!
Its a bit old, but nope. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207447,00.html?sPage=fnc/specialsections/issues)