PDA

View Full Version : Ah, The First Of The Month

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Nothing like going to the supermarket with a shopping list and coupons because you have to stretch every dollar only to see carts full of cases of soda and junk food being paid for with "Family First" cards. Gotta love it. Must be nice to make life a party on other people's money. Fucking slugs. Ever notice that a lot of people using food stamps are fat? I mean really fat? And this is coming from a fat guy but these people are so grossly overweight that I should hang out with them to look thinner. I guess these people didn't get Michelle Obama's memo on proper eating habits.

linda22003
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I assume you're talking about food stamps; I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use them at our supermarket and not sure I would recognize them.
Low income people tend to be obese because Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is cheaper than fresh fish and fresh broccoli.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
They don't have food stamps anymore. Now they get a card that looks like a debit card. And it's easy to see it when you're right behind them watching them use it. It disgusts me. And people like wee wee see no problem with this.

hoplophobe
02-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I assume you're talking about food stamps; I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use them at our supermarket and not sure I would recognize them.
Low income people tend to be obese because Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is cheaper than fresh fish and fresh broccoli.
True dat.

My personal dislike for food stamps comes from being in a convenience store and seeing a woman spend $3 in food stamps (it was some ago and it looked like monopoly money) to buy a single ham sandwich. For that $3 she could have bought a loaf of bread and a package of sandwich meat.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
True dat.

My personal dislike for food stamps comes from being in a convenience store and seeing a woman spend $3 in food stamps (it was some ago and it looked like monopoly money) to buy a single ham sandwich. For that $3 she could have bought a loaf of bread and a package of sandwich meat.

I thought you couldn't buy prepared food with food stamps?

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Actually no, the people I know eat the same as everyone else, it's their lack of physical activity from not going to work everyday that puts on the pounds.

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 10:57 AM
And takes less work to prepare.

We no longer have "food stamps". The government issues a credit card in lieu of the stamps, so it looks as if they are just paying for purchases with visa or master card. It's meant to "reduce the stigma" of being on public assistance, which seems to me to be counterproductive, as the stigma is a motivation to get off of public assistance. I guess that I'm just an evil reactionary... :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not near as judgmental about food stamps right now. The government has completely screwed up private industry right now and add too that our almost open border.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm not near as judgmental about food stamps right now. The government has completely screwed up private industry right now and add too that our almost open border.

Some of those coming through the leaking border are on food stamps as well. Nice, huh?

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
You can eat a completely unprocessed, absurdly healthy, and ultra "green" diet for what people are given on the EBT program (even keeping in the mind that the food program is just a supplement - not a replacement). The problem is that you have to actually get off couch for a couple of hours to make enough food for every meal for an entire week (if you want to make it as a convenient as fast food).

I have to laugh when I hear the line about fresh food costing too much. Produce, dry beans, eggs, and chicken leg quarters are the cheapest stuff in the store. If you can hack store-bought bread, you can get it for virtually nothing if it's a day old (and it's gonna be a day old even if you bought fresh). Powdered milk tastes fine once you get it cold enough.

You can achieve superior nutrition with baked chicken, vegetable soups, veggie omelettes, and mixed salads. But you do have to make the food and it will not have the high seasoning and additives that create a party in your mouth.

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Some of those coming through the leaking border are on food stamps as well. Nice, huh?

Yeah I know, that is even more frustrating, I blame the government for this depression.

linda22003
02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
They don't have food stamps anymore. Now they get a card that looks like a debit card. And it's easy to see it when you're right behind them watching them use it.

OK, then I've never seen it. I suppose we need some way to make sure kids don't starve - it's not their fault that their parents are bad planners - but there should definitely be restrictions on what you can buy with it, or how long the benefit lasts.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
OK, then I've never seen it. I suppose we need some way to make sure kids don't starve - it's not their fault that their parents are bad planners - but there should definitely be restrictions on what you can buy with it, or how long the benefit lasts.

Did you read one word I posted? You're OK with them loading up on junk? Please explain this.

fettpett
02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
You can eat a completely unprocessed, absurdly healthy, and ultra "green" diet for what people are given on the EBT program (even keeping in the mind that the food program is just a supplement - not a replacement). The problem is that you have to actually get off couch for a couple of hours to make enough food for every meal for an entire week (if you want to make it as a convenient as fast food).

I have to laugh when I hear the line about fresh food costing too much. Produce, dry beans, eggs, and chicken leg quarters are the cheapest stuff in the store. If you can hack store-bought bread, you can get it for virtually nothing if it's a day old (and it's gonna be a day old even if you bought fresh). Powdered milk tastes fine once you get it cold enough.

You can achieve superior nutrition with baked chicken, vegetable soups, veggie omelettes, and mixed salads. But you do have to make the food and it will not have the high seasoning and additives that create a party in your mouth.

I agree...The problem is that poor people don't understand how to shop for good healthy food and go blow their food stamps on shity food and super expensive food. I know one family that would buy lobster, prime rib steak (have that ground into burger) and wonder why they didn't have any money at the end of the month for food (they had like 4 kids)

Here in Michigan they are starting to spread out when you get food stamps money put on your card so not everyone floods the grocery stores at the same time, give stores a chance to keep better food on the shelves

linda22003
02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Did you read one word I posted? You're OK with them loading up on junk? Please explain this.

Where did I say that? I said "there should be restrictions on what they can buy with it."

Wei Wu Wei
02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Nothing like going to the supermarket with a shopping list and coupons because you have to stretch every dollar only to see carts full of cases of soda and junk food being paid for with "Family First" cards. Gotta love it. Must be nice to make life a party on other people's money. Fucking slugs. Ever notice that a lot of people using food stamps are fat? I mean really fat? And this is coming from a fat guy but these people are so grossly overweight that I should hang out with them to look thinner. I guess these people didn't get Michelle Obama's memo on proper eating habits.

Did you say anything to them? Or did you look sheepish, quietly making smug comments in your head and feeling uncomfortable, only to speed home through the snow to race to your computer to post on the internet about how mad it made you?

Wei Wu Wei
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
They don't have food stamps anymore. Now they get a card that looks like a debit card. And it's easy to see it when you're right behind them watching them use it. It disgusts me. And people like wee wee see no problem with this.

Don't tell me what I have a problem with. My family used to be on food stamps when I was young and I sure as hell never got any snack food or shit like that. I grew up eating small amounts of discount meat and a lot of rice.

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Did you say anything to them? Or did you look sheepish, quietly making smug comments in your head and feeling uncomfortable, only to speed home through the snow to race to your computer to post on the internet about how mad it made you?

Why would he say anything to them you ditz? This isn't a DU bouncy.:rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Why would he say anything to them you ditz? This isn't a DU bouncy.:rolleyes:

If he had a strong opinion about it and apparently he was the only sensible person there, why wouldn't he?

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
If he had a strong opinion about it and apparently he was the only sensible person there, why wouldn't he?

Why would he? It's not like information from a complete stranger is going to change anybody's worldview about food budgets and home economics. People reject that advice when they get it from trusted authority figures and close personal friends.

Wei Wu Wei
02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
well maybe i'm the weird one. i speak up a lot then again i have been threatened with violence before

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
well maybe i'm the weird one. i speak up a lot then again i have been threatened with violence before

If you confront total strangers over their food choices, buying habits, politics, reproductive history, choice of reading or entertainment material, or fashion sense then yes, you are the weird one.

Or as it's more commonly known: rude.

We all get to make observations about other people but we don't get to force those people to examine our observations.

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I have no problem with that. An obese gang-banger is less likely to outrun a cop.

Because he didn't feel the need to lecture to people. It would not have done any good, and it would have disrupted the line.

You are weird, certainly, and I have no doubt that you have been threatened with violence. Frankly, given some of your behavior, I'm surprised that you survived high school.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
And exactly what would this accomplish? And, no, I didn't look sheepishly, I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. However, nice how you blow by the crux of my post in that these people are using tax dollars to buy crap. Oh, and I never feel uncomfortable around these scumbags. Just incensed.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Uh huh. Sure you do. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I live in a medium sized city with lots of oddballs it's not too uncommon that strangers talk a lot or that people stand out. maybe it's rude, but once you go outside in a big city I don't buy that illusion that you have a nice bubble around you that no one should pop. those people with earbuds in their ears checking their phones every 3 seconds avoiding eye contact from those around them are the worst.

and by the way high school was absolutely great ;)

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
And takes less work to prepare.

We no longer have "food stamps". The government issues a credit card in lieu of the stamps, so it looks as if they are just paying for purchases with visa or master card. It's meant to "reduce the stigma" of being on public assistance, which seems to me to be counterproductive, as the stigma is a motivation to get off of public assistance. I guess that I'm just an evil reactionary... :rolleyes:

I think the EBT card is also supposed to make the food stamps less transferrable. Before EBT cards, there were stories of Mom taking the food stamps and trading $100 worth of stamps for $20 worth of drugs.

Even with the EBT card we occasionally see store keepers (usually foreigners) busted for selling booze or cigs as eligible items. The WIC checks are more of a nuisance, but they require that specific items be purchased.

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I stay back when people make payment, people will photograph your card with a phone and some will try to memorize card numbers. It doesn't happen often that I know of but I hear a news story every now and then.

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM

The paradox of charity for the children, the aged, and the infirm. Dogs can feed from the same table. The abuse of our charity is not our sin to reconcile.

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I stay back when people make payment, people will photograph your card with a phone and some will try to memorize card numbers. It doesn't happen often that I know of but I hear a news story every now and then.

I try not to get in line behind the woman with a full cart, three kids, and an EBT card. Too much potential for cash register disaster there. But then, I have a curse on me at the grocery store. I always end up in the line that has a problem.

Just two days ago I was at the nice grocery store (as opposed to Walmart) and got in line behind a woman who looked like she was about to pay. She pulled out a check book. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to say (in my best David Spade voice), "Hey lady, 1980 is calling and it wants its check book back." , but figured she might have lost her debit card.

fettpett
02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I try not to get in line behind the woman with a full cart, three kids, and an EBT card. Too much potential for cash register disaster there. But then, I have a curse on me at the grocery store. I always end up in the line that has a problem.

Just two days ago I was at the nice grocery store (as opposed to Walmart) and got in line behind a woman who looked like she was about to pay. She pulled out a check book. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to say (in my best David Spade voice), "Hey lady, 1980 is calling and it wants its check book back." , but figured she might have lost her debit card.

If they are as "nice" as you talk about, they use the check just like a debit card now, at lest Wal-Mart does, all they do is sign it and they run it through the register and the money comes out just like a debit card now.

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I live in a medium sized city with lots of oddballs it's not too uncommon that strangers talk a lot or that people stand out. maybe it's rude, but once you go outside in a big city I don't buy that illusion that you have a nice bubble around you that no one should pop. those people with earbuds in their ears checking their phones every 3 seconds avoiding eye contact from those around them are the worst.

"Show me the man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I will show you a bully and a bore." - Robert Morley

I think the EBT card is also supposed to make the food stamps less transferrable. Before EBT cards, there were stories of Mom taking the food stamps and trading $100 worth of stamps for $20 worth of drugs.

Even with the EBT card we occasionally see store keepers (usually foreigners) busted for selling booze or cigs as eligible items. The WIC checks are more of a nuisance, but they require that specific items be purchased.
Yes, because it's much harder to go to a bodega and pay for items that don't exist, and take cash. That's how the fraud worked with food stamps, and it still works with the cards, only now there's a middleman who makes the transaction.

If they are as "nice" as you talk about, they use the check just like a debit card now, at lest Wal-Mart does, all they do is sign it and they run it through the register and the money comes out just like a debit card now.

By "nice", he means small, expensive and with limited inventory.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Oh, you'd be surprised how often I shake the shit off my boots and mosey on down to the Big City. :rolleyes:

People stand out everywhere. Oddballs are everywhere. Normally socialized, polite people in Western society do not invade the space of total strangers to inform them of anything other than an emerging crisis. "How about that weather?" chit-chat is small talk, not personally informative.

megimoo
02-03-2011, 03:20 PM

As you have said one can just about live on home made bread and an assortment of soups.Chicken based dishes are some of the most economical meals to make.A simple large pasta,chicken and cheese dish will last for several meals and is nutritious and with the appropriate spices,delicious !Buy four oven stuffer roasters and break them down them down .From the carcass and wings make the stock and freeze it .From the breast meat pounded down and flatten make the rolls.

Do the math ,it may be less expensive to buy boneless chicken breasts on sale for the rolls but you lose the gallons of fresh home made chicken stock for soups and numerous other dishes.

I make chicken Kiev,chicken cheese Spinach,chicken cheese and bacon,chicken Cordon bleu rolls in quantity and precook and freeze them .A simple variable vegetable and pasta salad with balsamic dressing, a blue cheese or sour cream mustard sauce for the chicken,home made rye and a large glass of Pinot Grigio completes a meal.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
As you have said one can just about live on home made bread and an assortment of soups.Chicken based dishes are some of the most economical meals to make.A simple large pasta,chicken and cheese dish will last for several meals and is nutritious and with the appropriate spices,delicious !Buy four oven stuffer roasters and break them down them down .From the carcass and wings make the stock and freeze it .From the breast meat pounded down and flatten make the rolls.

Do the math ,it may be less expensive to buy boneless chicken breasts on sale for the rolls but you lose the gallons of fresh home made chicken stock for soups and numerous other dishes.

I make chicken Kiev,chicken cheese Spinach,chicken cheese and bacon,chicken Cordon bleu rolls in quantity and precook and freeze them .A simple variable vegetable and pasta salad with balsamic dressing, a blue cheese or sour cream mustard sauce for the chicken,home made rye and a large glass of Pinot Grigio completes a meal.

You can cook but even people who can't cook can make salad, soups, plain baked chicken, and simple egg dishes with a little coaching (free coaching via the Internet, public library, or community rec center).

Every meal isn't required to be an orgasmic experience. People have forgotten the many virtues of simple food. Bread and soup or bread and salad with a little chopped meat thrown in are perfectly good meals. A simple cheese or peanut butter sandwich with a piece of fruit or some veggies is a fine lunch for school or work.

Zafod
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM

they didnt get fat from eating a box of mac and cheese a day.

They got fat from eating buckets of it on top of tons of sugar bs and mcdonalds and no excercise.

When I worked in a grocery store people on food stamps would buy ribeye steak and ribs while I ate ramen.

I dont buy the *cheap food is the only stuff they can afford* bullshit argument.

They fucking buy BOTTLED WATER with food stamps!!!!!!

fuck them. Need to cut that program off fully NOW

jediab
02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
But you do have to make the food and it will not have the high seasoning and additives that create a party in your mouth.

There's nothing better than a mouth party! :D

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM

We aren't talking zero-calorie mouth parties here. :p

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
If you confront total strangers over their food choices, buying habits, politics, reproductive history, choice of reading or entertainment material, or fashion sense then yes, you are the weird one.

Or as it's more commonly known: rude.

We all get to make observations about other people but we don't get to force those people to examine our observations.

One time in the health food store, I asked the woman ahead of me if she had a monkey. She looked at me as if I had asked her something personal. She had ten pounds of bananas in her basket. Then she told me that she makes banana bread for Christmas presents. In November?

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
That is so wrong...

One time in the health food store, I asked the woman ahead of me if she had a monkey. She looked at me as if I had asked her something personal. She had ten pounds of bananas in her basket. Then she told me that she makes banana bread for Christmas presents. In November?

You should have asked her if she had a license for her monkey. :D

http://images.absoluteanime.com/reviews/return_of_the_pink_panther/return_of_the_pink_panther01.jpg

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 04:24 PM
By "nice", he means small, expensive and with limited inventory.

No, by "nice" I mean a Florida chain supermarket that costs a little more, is in a nicer neighborhood, has a quieter store, has a better behaved clientele, has a better behaved staff, doesn't have some checker screaming constantly into a PA system, doesn't have promotional televisions blaring at me from every angle.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 04:25 PM

I frequent heath food stores, myself. Never ask. Never.

Novaheart
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh, you'd be surprised how often I shake the shit off my boots and mosey on down to the Big City. :rolleyes:

People stand out everywhere. Oddballs are everywhere. Normally socialized, polite people in Western society do not invade the space of total strangers to inform them of anything other than an emerging crisis. "How about that weather?" chit-chat is small talk, not personally informative.

Sometimes it's fun to chat people up in a middle aged suburban male sort of way. It's how I get revenge for having to listen to other people's cellphone conversations.

" Will you look at that? All those flavors of Jello. Now when I was a kid my dad would use that to make snow cones. Isn't that a nice stroller you have there. I didn't know it was legal to own a chimpanzee in Florida. " That kind of stuff.

fettpett
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Sometimes it's fun to chat people up in a middle aged suburban male sort of way. It's how I get revenge for having to listen to other people's cellphone conversations.

" Will you look at that? All those flavors of Jello. Now when I was a kid my dad would use that to make snow cones. Isn't that a nice stroller you have there. I didn't know it was legal to own a chimpanzee in Florida. " That kind of stuff.

they probably look at you like a complete moron

Odysseus
02-03-2011, 05:21 PM
they probably look at you like a complete moron

They've read his posts, then? :D

fettpett
02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
They've read his posts, then? :D

only if they are short...too much and my brain hurts :( :D

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
When my wife and I were struggling living in Arizona, we lived on tuna sandwiches and Ramen. When I was living alone, I would make a pot of gravy(what real Italians call tomato sauce), and it would last me a month(I would freeze it in Tupperware bowls. Macaroni is very cheap. Even the good stuff. At the supermarket I shop at the most(Shop-rite), Barilla is 77 cents a box. So, you can buy 2 cans of tomato puree(Contadina at Shoprite is 10 for $10 for the 28oz can) a can of tomato paste(Contadina 60 cents a can so we're up to $2.60 for the tomatoes), salt, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, Italian seasoning(all of which might cost a total of 50 cents a serving) and a little oil and you have at least 3 meals for a family of 4. So for around $5 you can get 3 dinners. You can even splurge and buy a couple of pounds of ground chuck for about $4 to put in the sauce. So, for maybe $10 you can have 3 real good meals for a family of 4.

Good, healthy food is not that expensive. Know what is expensive? The bullshit I saw in those carts yesterday. Doritos go for nearly $4 a bag. For the price of one stinking bag of Doritos, you can damn near feed a family of 4 for 3 dinners. And when I look at the person in front of me with 3 bags of Doritos, 5 12 packs of soda, Little Debbie snack cakes, and other crap and paying with a family first card drives me freaking nuts. And most people don't care.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Dude. you're my kind of chit-chatter. :D

BadCat
02-03-2011, 06:08 PM
It really pisses them off when you take a picture of them and their government provided junk food with your cell phone.

fettpett
02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
When my wife and I were struggling living in Arizona, we lived on tuna sandwiches and Ramen. When I was living alone, I would make a pot of gravy(what real Italians call tomato sauce), and it would last me a month(I would freeze it in Tupperware bowls. Macaroni is very cheap. Even the good stuff. At the supermarket I shop at the most(Shop-rite), Barilla is 77 cents a box. So, you can buy 2 cans of tomato puree(Contadina at Shoprite is 10 for $10 for the 28oz can) a can of tomato paste(Contadina 60 cents a can so we're up to $2.60 for the tomatoes), salt, pepper, garlic, onion, basil, Italian seasoning(all of which might cost a total of 50 cents a serving) and a little oil and you have at least 3 meals for a family of 4. So for around $5 you can get 3 dinners. You can even splurge and buy a couple of pounds of ground chuck for about $4 to put in the sauce. So, for maybe $10 you can have 3 real good meals for a family of 4.

Good, healthy food is not that expensive. Know what is expensive? The bullshit I saw in those carts yesterday. Doritos go for nearly $4 a bag. For the price of one stinking bag of Doritos, you can damn near feed a family of 4 for 3 dinners. And when I look at the person in front of me with 3 bags of Doritos, 5 12 packs of soda, Little Debbie snack cakes, and other crap and paying with a family first card drives me freaking nuts. And most people don't care.

yeah, we can feed our family of 5 on less than 500/month and thats with my sister here on the weekends and our friends being her some times too

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
yeah, we can feed our family of 5 on less than 500/month and thats with my sister here on the weekends and our friends being her some times too

My wife and I spend about $200 a month on groceries but this includes non food stuffs. We also like to go to BJ's a lot and but some stuff in bulk. But there needs to be a cap on what you can buy with food stamps.

fettpett
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
My wife and I spend about $200 a month on groceries but this includes non food stuffs. We also like to go to BJ's a lot and but some stuff in bulk. But there needs to be a cap on what you can buy with food stamps.

there are some, like no alcohol, energy bar type things and a few other minor things

personally feel that Soda, candy and most snack foods (tortilla chips and pretzels and popcorn i don't have issues with) should be banded from it as well.

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
there are some, like no alcohol, energy bar type things and a few other minor things

personally feel that Soda, candy and most snack foods (tortilla chips and pretzels and popcorn i don't have issues with) should be banded from it as well.
Yes, they should be barred from buying junk food. Actually, if I were in charge of public assistance, I'd be a fascist about it. If you're on Medicaid or Medicare, no smoking(drinking will be OK but if you develop a drinking problem then you're sent to dry out and barred from drinking alcohol). Foodstamps, those getting them will have to go to special stores to use them. Sort of like ABC stores in states that have them.

Rockntractor
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes, they should be barred from buying junk food. Actually, if I were in charge of public assistance, I'd be a fascist about it. If you're on Medicaid or Medicare, no smoking(drinking will be OK but if you develop a drinking problem then you're sent to dry out and barred from drinking alcohol). Foodstamps, those getting them will have to go to special stores to use them. Sort of like ABC stores in states that have them.

I would go the commodities route. Give them cookbooks and teach them to make things from scratch. Community gardens also.

Gingersnap
02-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Let's just get back to basics on this program: meat, butter/lard, produce, dairy, flour, sugar, spices, etc. They can spend other money on chips, soda or whatever.

It is kind of annoying to see EBT people buying candy, soda, chips, and fake meals when I have to actually plan and cook. :(

CueSi
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
No, by "nice" I mean a Florida chain supermarket that costs a little more, is in a nicer neighborhood, has a quieter store, has a better behaved clientele, has a better behaved staff, doesn't have some checker screaming constantly into a PA system, doesn't have promotional televisions blaring at me from every angle.

Are you talking about Publix? Cause I love me some Publix. :D

~QC

NJCardFan
02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Are you talking about Publix? Cause I love me some Publix. :D

~QC

I like Publix but my all time favorite supermarket was called Basha's in Tucson, AZ. Fry's isn't bad either.

Odysseus
02-04-2011, 12:33 AM

I don't know where you shop, but every WalMart that I've ever been in has been perfectly civil. I've never had a problem with the clientele, and while the staff in the NY WalMarts sucked, that was more a function of NY than WalMart, and I've never heard anyone blaring into a PA system.

fettpett
02-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I don't know where you shop, but every WalMart that I've ever been in has been perfectly civil. I've never had a problem with the clientele, and while the staff in the NY WalMarts sucked, that was more a function of NY than WalMart, and I've never heard anyone blaring into a PA system.

he just wanted a reason to rip Wal-Mart

NJCardFan
02-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Nova is probably one of those elitist Whole Foods people.

Novaheart
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Is Ramen junk food? How about Jiffy Corn Bread? Where I live, EBT carts usually contain a case of Ramen (16 for two servings) and a six or nine pack of Jiffy Corn Bread (34 per box).

Novaheart
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Skyway Walmart St Petersburg, Florida

Novaheart
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Nova is probably one of those elitist Whole Foods people.

Wrong. Nova goes to the health food store only now and then and only because it's the only place that sells salt free corn chips.

NJCardFan
02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Is Ramen junk food? How about Jiffy Corn Bread? Where I live, EBT carts usually contain a case of Ramen (16 for two servings) and a six or nine pack of Jiffy Corn Bread (34 per box).
I take it you missed the whole part about my seeing people buying Doritos and soda with EBT cards. But then again, it's typical of you to take the argument away from the subject and putting it on me. Wanker.

PoliCon
02-04-2011, 11:24 PM

more importantly - kraft Mac and cheese is EASIER than fresh fish and broccoli.

PoliCon
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM

there is a time and a place. In the line at the check out when people are trying to make their purchases and go home - making a scene is neither the time nor the place.

Gingersnap
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
more importantly - kraft Mac and cheese is EASIER than fresh fish and broccoli.

Well, that's the real bitch-kitty. Preparing fresh food takes some effort. Worse yet (and I know some people will disagree with me here), broccoli and baked chicken thighs just aren't as amusing in terms of recreational eating as Ding Dongs and soda are.

Odysseus
02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Wrong. Nova goes to the health food store only now and then and only because it's the only place that sells salt free corn chips.

Nova needs to stop referring to Nova in the third person. Nova is pretentious and tedious.

PoliCon
02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Well, that's the real bitch-kitty. Preparing fresh food takes some effort. Worse yet (and I know some people will disagree with me here), broccoli and baked chicken thighs just aren't as amusing in terms of recreational eating as Ding Dongs and soda are.

very true. Broccoli and chicken require both effort and that the person cooking get up off the couch/off the phone/away from the flat screen/away from the game consul/away from the crack pipe/away from the spliff.