PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Nutrition Draws Focus of First Lady

Rockntractor
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG and WILLIAM NEUMAN
Published: February 6, 2011

WASHINGTON — After wrapping her arms around the retail giant Wal-Mart and trying to cajole food makers into producing nutrition labels that are easier to understand, Michelle Obama, a healthy-eating advocate, has her sights set on a new target: the nation’s restaurants.

A team of advisers to Mrs. Obama has been holding private talks over the past year with the National Restaurant Association, a trade group, in a bid to get restaurants to adopt her goals of smaller portions and children’s meals that include healthy offerings like carrots, apple slices and milk instead of French fries and soda, according to White House and industry officials.

The discussions are preliminary, and participants say they are nowhere near an agreement like the one Mrs. Obama announced recently with Wal-Mart to lower prices on fruits and vegetables and to reduce the amount of fat, sugar and salt in its foods. But they reveal how assertively she is working to prod the industry to sign on to her agenda.

On Tuesday, Mrs. Obama will begin a three-day publicity blitz to spotlight “Let’s Move!,” her campaign to reduce childhood obesity, which was announced one year ago this week.

She will introduce a public service announcement, appear on the “Today” show and deliver a speech in Atlanta promoting gardening and healthy-eating programs.

But as she uses her public platform to persuade children to eat healthier and exercise more, Mrs. Obama and her team are also quietly pressing the levers of industry and government. Over the past year she has become involved in many aspects of the nation’s dietary habits, exerting her influence over nutrition policy.

Her team has worked with beverage makers to design soda cans with calorie counts and is deeply involved in a major remake of the government’s most recognizable tool for delivering its healthy-eating message: the food pyramid.

Mrs. Obama persuaded Congress to require schools to include more fruits and vegetables in the lunches they offer, and she encouraged lawmakers to require restaurants to print nutrition information on menus, a provision that wound up in President Obama’s landmark health care law.

“They really want a cooperative relationship with the food industry, and they’re looking at industry to come up with ideas,” said Lanette R. Kovachi, corporate dietician for Subway, the nation’s second-largest restaurant chain in terms of revenue.

She said she had taken part in at least four conference calls with Mrs. Obama’s food advisers.

But in seeking partnerships with industry, Mrs. Obama runs a risk. While nutritionists and public health advocates give her high marks for putting healthy eating on the national agenda, many worry that she will be co-opted by companies rushing to embrace her without offering meaningful change.

“Can the food industry play a responsible role in the obesity epidemic? The answer isn’t no,” said Dr. David Ludwig, the director of the Optimal Weight for Life program at Children’s Hospital in Boston. “The point is that the best initiatives can be subverted for special interest, and it’s important to be vigilant when we form partnerships with industry.”

White House officials say Mrs. Obama has believed from the start that bringing industry to the negotiating table is critical to achieving her long-range goal of eliminating childhood obesity within a generation.

Melody Barnes, Mr. Obama’s domestic policy adviser and the chairwoman of a presidential task force on obesity, said industry has been eager to work with the White House. But Mrs. Obama does not lend her name to any plan or program, she said, unless it meets the recommendations of a task force report issued in May.

“If someone wants her support, we take a hard look at the data and the research to determine if the commitment meets our standards,” Ms. Barnes said. “And if the result is good for business as well as for the health of American children, we see that as a win-win.”

Still, Mrs. Obama has been treading carefully. As part of her anti-obesity campaign, she has called on food makers to design clear “front-of-package” labels to warn consumers about ingredients like salt, sugar and fat. But after months of negotiations with the White House, the companies insisted on a plan that would also spotlight healthy ingredients, like calcium or fiber.

The administration thought the new labels confusing, and they do not meet recommendations in a recent report by experts at the nonpartisan Institute of Medicine. When the food companies announced the plan, the White House put out a tepid statement calling it “a significant first step.” Mrs. Obama said nothing.

“She could have just added this to her list of things done, but she said, ‘Not good enough,’ ” said Dr. David Kessler, a commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration under President Bill Clinton “It was not done in a confrontational manner; she didn’t blast them, but she sent a very clear signal that it didn’t meet the mark.”

That, however, did not stop food industry executives from invoking Mrs. Obama’s name when they rolled out the labeling initiative last month and said they were responding to her call for action.
Mo>http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/us/politics/07michelle.html?_r=1&hp
Bitch best back off from my friggen dinner plate!:mad:

Gingersnap
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
How about we just tell people to take half a restaurant meal home for later and that's it's perfectly okay to eat 3 or 4 bites of that yummy dessert and throw the rest away? :rolleyes:

Turning something as simple as eating into a government program isn't going to be helpful to people.

Wei Wu Wei
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Mbs2gz5ac
(starts at 2:00)

ralph wiggum
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Apparently the First Lady doesn't practice what she preaches. Here's the menu for yesterday's Super Bowl party at the White House:

Bratwurst
Kielbasa
Cheeseburgers
Deep Dish Pizza
Buffalo Wings
German Potato Salad
Twice Baked Potatoes
Snyders Potato Chips and Pretzels
Chips and Dips
Salad
Ice Cream

LINKAGE (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/02/obamas-super-bowl-party/1)

Gingersnap
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I staggered through the entire clip waiting for a point but there wasn't really one.

A lot of American children are fat. However, posting calorie counts and including apple slices in children's restaurant meals probably isn't going to make any difference to that. It will start the process of the teaching the child that foods have moral qualities: some are "good" and others are "evil". That's a path that leads to very disordered thinking.

It would be more useful to teach children that food isn't a crisis. It's okay to keep playing if you get a little hungry. It's okay not eat everything on your plate. It's okay to reject broccoli if you eat green beans or celery or something. Juice is just a treat, like soda - you shouldn't drink it very often.

But the government and public schools can't use those reasonable approaches because they are individual solutions. The government can apply pressure to post calories counts and it can begin the bad body image/disordered eating earlier with BMI calculations, food competition, and food morality, though.

Wei Wu Wei
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
The point is that suggesting that kids exercise more or trying to make nutrition lables easier to read isn't some tyrranical act to strip you of your freedom to be a fatass.

Suggesting that vending machines in schools serve juice rather than Dr. Pepper isn't Obama kicking down your barn door and stealing your double-barrel shotgun.

Making a website with healthy-yet-fun snacks for the kids is not burning your bibles in a pile.

First Lady is using her Name to promote healthy alternatives and health education programs?

BACK OFF MY CONSTITUTION BITCH!!
DON'T TREAD ON ME!@!

seriously this is the saddest thing for people to get upset about, but I guess if you got lots of hate and you just need to direct it at someone....

fettpett
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
The point is that suggesting that kids exercise more or trying to make nutrition lables easier to read isn't some tyrranical act to strip you of your freedom to be a fatass.

Suggesting that vending machines in schools serve juice rather than Dr. Pepper isn't Obama kicking down your barn door and stealing your double-barrel shotgun.

Making a website with healthy-yet-fun snacks for the kids is not burning your bibles in a pile.

First Lady is using her Name to promote healthy alternatives and health education programs?

DON'T TREAD ON ME!@!

seriously this is the saddest thing for people to get upset about, but I guess if you got lots of hate and you just need to direct it at someone....

see the problem isn't that she's promoting healthy habits, it's that she's attacking companies directly and being pretty bitchy about it as the left has been doing to schools for the last 15 years.

so fuck her, I'll eat what I want and not what the First Lady is telling me I should.

Gingersnap
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM

DON'T TREAD ON ME!@!

Kids will only exercise more when they can play without constant adult supervision and interference. Why doesn't she call for all vending machines to removed from public schools? Children don't nutritionally need any kind of drink or snack from a machine; I'd be down with that idea. Why teach children that food needs to be "fun" at all? It's a pretty stupid child who seriously believes that kale is more "fun" than donuts.

I'd be just fine with Obama removing vending machines from schools, calling for daily PE, and lobbying to discard the food industry-created 'Food Pyramid' concept.

fettpett
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Kids will only exercise more when they can play without constant adult supervision and interference. Why doesn't she call for all vending machines to removed from public schools? Children don't nutritionally need any kind of drink or snack from a machine; I'd be down with that idea. Why teach children that food needs to be "fun" at all? It's a pretty stupid child who seriously believes that kale is more "fun" than donuts.

I'd be just fine with Obama removing vending machines from schools, calling for daily PE, and lobbying to discard the food industry-created 'Food Pyramid' concept.

QFT

How many schools have gotten rid of recess and PE since we were in school? a DAMN LOT of them...all because we don't want to push kids...now we're bitching about the kids getting fat.

noonwitch
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Daily PE would go far to combat childhood obesity. We only had it 2 days a week in elementary school. We didn't have any vending machines in any of my schools, except the ones that sold pens, pencils and paper.

Phillygirl
02-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Yep. I watched one episode of that chef who was trying to make school lunches more healthy. I have no problem with that. In elementary school there was one vending machine...it had sodas and was for teacher use only. Once a year, at the end of the year the gym teacher would let us all get a soda, and that was truly a treat. If someone brought their lunch a soda was never in it for a drink, just a thermos of milk or juice, not even kool-aid, as even that was considered a treat back then.

Gingersnap
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep. I watched one episode of that chef who was trying to make school lunches more healthy. I have no problem with that. In elementary school there was one vending machine...it had sodas and was for teacher use only. Once a year, at the end of the year the gym teacher would let us all get a soda, and that was truly a treat. If someone brought their lunch a soda was never in it for a drink, just a thermos of milk or juice, not even kool-aid, as even that was considered a treat back then.

Exactly. I can't help but think that this new emphasis on nutrition goals, calories, and good foods/bad foods isn't going to create an even more brain-washed generation of dysfunctional eaters. How many women are on a diet every week? How many men who want to get a "six-pack" are consumed with protein and carb counts?

If that approach actually worked for most people, I believe we'd know about it by now.

Wei Wu Wei
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Exactly. I can't help but think that this new emphasis on nutrition goals, calories, and good foods/bad foods isn't going to create an even more brain-washed generation of dysfunctional eaters. How many women are on a diet every week? How many men who want to get a "six-pack" are consumed with protein and carb counts?

If that approach actually worked for most people, I believe we'd know about it by now.

I hardly think being image-obsessed has to do with what we learned about the Food Pyramid.

This obsession with having the perfect body comes from consumerism and advertisement/brainwashing since the time we are toddlers.

The proof is that many people cannot even read a nutritional label, but most everyone sure as hell knows how to judge people based on their looks.

NJCardFan
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I hardly think being image-obsessed has to do with what we learned about the Food Pyramid.

This obsession with having the perfect body comes from consumerism and advertisement/brainwashing since the time we are toddlers.

The proof is that many people cannot even read a nutritional label, but most everyone sure as hell knows how to judge people based on their looks.

It's not about consumerism or perfection, shit dick. It's about mandates. The government can promote healthy eating and such but it shouldn't mandate it.

Wei Wu Wei
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't worry no government employee is going to barge into your home and slap the lard out of your mouth

no one is trying.

yes it's about mandates (which don't exist and which no one is trying to make). a good focus point

Wei Wu Wei
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
If you want to stuff bacon grease and cheese product between two pieces of fried chicken go right ahead, changing a nutrition label or advocating more clear packaging isn't a violation of your rights you crybaby

Gingersnap
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM

You missed my entire point. There are millions of people who are obsessed with fats, carbs, salt, and calories. They may have started with an eye to losing weight but it becomes a vicious cycle of disordered thinking and emotional eating.

Long after they give up on weight loss, they are still chained to a way of viewing themselves and food that is destructive. Equating virtue or vice with food choices has a much. much longer history in this country than Hollywood or television.

Apache
02-07-2011, 01:51 PM

You get off on being a complete ass, don't you?

Zafod
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I wonder what pharmacy help the first lady is using to stay that thin.....

Zafod
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I am a dickhead.

pretty much.....

Rockntractor
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
It's not about consumerism or perfection, shit dick. It's about mandates. The government can promote healthy eating and such but it shouldn't mandate it.

For that matter I don't see it as the governments responsibility to promote any kind of eating, healthy or not.

Apache
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
For that matter I don't see it as the governments responsibility to promote any kind of eating, healthy or not.

Of course you don't, you're a dumb white guy...:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Of course you don't, you're a dumb white guy...:rolleyes:

I know.:(

Phillygirl
02-07-2011, 03:04 PM

I don't mind it as a pet project, much like literacy, saying no to drugs, etc. It just galls me that she can take an issue that should be non-controversial and positive and turn it into a political issue.

Madisonian
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I made it through almost a whole 2 minutes of Maher, which about equals the amount I could stomach the twerp during the last decade.
I guess I just don't "get" him or what he tries to pass off as political comedy or satire.

lacarnut
02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I wonder what pharmacy help the first lady is using to stay that thin.....

Liver lips is a little chunky herself along with one of her kids. She should just STFU.

movie buff
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Apparently the First Lady doesn't practice what she preaches. Here's the menu for yesterday's Super Bowl party at the White House:

LINKAGE (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/02/obamas-super-bowl-party/1)

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me IN THE LEAST. I've always known the First Lady is hypocritical as hell when it comes to healthy eating and fighting obesity. I remember some months back, she and her husband went on a somewhat well- publicized dinner date to some BBQ restaurant where this supposed champion of healthy eating gleefully stuffed her porcine face with ribs, baked beans, and anything else she could get her hands on.
Since when does a woman with a butt as big as hers feel she has any business lecturing us on the dangers of overeating?

Wei's responses are also unsurprising: Claiming it's nothing to worry about while heavily implying that everyone opposed to this is automatically a fat slob who pigs out on junk food all day long. It's how ultra- liberal health nuts usually feel about those who disagree with them.

Yukon
02-09-2011, 04:36 PM
It saddens me to see so many grotesquely, fat, and distorted people. I pride myself in staying fit and being trim.

Rockntractor
02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
It saddens me to see so many grotesquely, fat, and distorted people. I pride myself in staying fit and being trim.

You need to lose another twenty pounds.

PoliCon
02-09-2011, 04:54 PM
QFT

How many schools have gotten rid of recess and PE since we were in school? a DAMN LOT of them...all because we don't want to push kids...now we're bitching about the kids getting fat.

more because they're trying to avoid lawsuits claiming negligence when little sally skins her knee on the playground.

fettpett
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
more because they're trying to avoid lawsuits claiming negligence when little sally skins her knee on the playground.

and the judge should laugh their dumbasses out of the court room and charge them for wasting his time.

Speedy
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I laugh when I hear all the whining about obesity and our kids eating too much. I have no doubt that people in Africa and other asshole countries wish they could bitch about too much damned food and gaining weight.

PoliCon
02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
and the judge should laugh their dumbasses out of the court room and charge them for wasting his time.

trouble is - that still costs the district money. Without a loser pays system - schools cannot afford even to fight frivolous lawsuits.

movie buff
02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Geez, smug much?
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.