PDA

View Full Version : AOL Buying Huffington Post for $315 Million

txradioguy
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/604/341/Huffington-Post-Founder-Arianna-Huffington.jpg

AOL (AOL: 21.71, -0.23, -1.05%) unveiled plans on Monday to acquire online news site The Huffington Post in a $315 million deal that will give the combined companies more than 117 million unique visitors.
The surprise move comes seven years after Arianna Huffington dreamed up the left-leaning site as an answer to the Drudge Report and other conservative sites.
The Huffington Post, which has nearly 25 million unique monthly visitors, will now join other AOL content such as TechCrunch, Engadget, Moviefone and MapQuest.
“The acquisition of The Huffington Post will create a next-generation American media company with global reach that combines content, community, and social experiences for consumers,” AOL CEO Tim Armstrong said in a statement.“Together, our companies will embrace the digital future and become a digital destination that delivers unmatched experiences for both consumers and advertisers.”
AOL said it will use about $300 million of the cash on its balance sheet to acquire The Huffington Post, which is privately owned by Huffington, co-founder Kenneth Lerer and a group of investors.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/02/07/aol-buy-huffington-post-million806456/#ixzz1DIRRswns

Novaheart
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't get it. Isn't there supposed to be some kid that comes along and notices that the emperor is naked?

Have any of you ever bought car because you saw it on television?

Have you asked your doctor for a drug you saw on the side of a Google page?

Have you pissed away your time and money to work for Amway or Herbalife because you heard about "work from home" on Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity?

Have you bought Humana because you heard it between Credit Repair, Buy Gold, and Carbonite ads on Rush Limbaugh or Match.com ads on MSNBC?

noonwitch
02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't get it. Isn't there supposed to be some kid that comes along and notices that the emperor is naked?

Have any of you ever bought car because you saw it on television?

Have you asked your doctor for a drug you saw on the side of a Google page?

Have you pissed away your time and money to work for Amway or Herbalife because you heard about "work from home" on Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity?

Have you bought Humana because you heard it between Credit Repair, Buy Gold, and Carbonite ads on Rush Limbaugh or Match.com ads on MSNBC?

It's a great deal for the HuffPo investors!

I don't know anyone who's made any real money selling Amway-I'm from their hometown, and nobody there likes their crap. Whether it's Amway, Herbalife or whatever, trying to sell stuff like that leaves you with no friends.

fettpett
02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
AOL trying to kill themselves? wait they've already done that

swirling_vortex
02-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Will there be a bunch of free trial CDs with HuffPoo articles on them?

Rockntractor
02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
What on Gods green earth for?:confused:

Rockntractor
02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Whether it's Amway, Herbalife or whatever, trying to sell stuff like that leaves you with no friends.
There are upsides to everything!:D

Novaheart
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
It's a great deal for the HuffPo investors!

It makes it seem like money has no actual value.

NJCardFan
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Guess Arianna can buy her own private plane instad of waiting for someone to go her way. :rolleyes:

Hawkgirl
02-07-2011, 07:07 PM
AOL is going to have buyers remorse pretty soon.

malloc
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I originally thought, "who would think that HuffPo is worth $315 million? That thought was followed immediately by, "How the heck does AOL still have $315 million to spend?"

3rd-try
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Makes me wish I had an AOL account so I could cancel it.

Rockntractor
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Makes me wish I had an AOL account so I could cancel it.
I had an account with them for 4 hours in 2002.

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Honestly, I didn't know AOL was still around outside of their news outlet and a couple of message boards. :confused:

Adam Wood
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
It's a great deal for the HuffPo investors!Sure it is. Soros gets his money back with a little bit of interest, Arianna should cash that check as quickly as possible and stuff the money into a shell corporation in the Caymens, and then she can get her own private plane instead of taking one that was going somewhere anyway.

For anyone fool enough to have any money in AOHell any more, though, they just lost their ass.

Adam Wood
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
AOL is going to have buyers remorse pretty soon.I don't think they're going to live long enough as a company to have buyers' remorse.

fettpett
02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't think they're going to live long enough as a company to have buyers' remorse.

honestly I'm surprised they've lasted this long...