PDA

View Full Version : America's prisoners: Should we shoot them with a giant ray gun?

megimoo
02-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Officials at the Los Angeles County sheriff's department are testing a directed-energy weapon that causes pain, but apparently no tissue damage. Should we start using it against prisoners?

Prison guards might soon test an invisible laserlike beam that triggers a painful burning sensation as a new way to break up fights between inmates...........The project does not yet have the green light from its federal sponsor. But should it go forward, officials plan to set up the beam-emitting machine, known as Assault Intervention Device (AID) in a dormitory at the North County Correctional Facility at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, Calif.
snip

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0203/America-s-prisoners-Should-we-shoot-them-with-a-giant-ray-gun

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Officials at the Los Angeles County sheriff's department are testing a directed-energy weapon that causes pain, but apparently no tissue damage. Should we start using it against prisoners?

Prison guards might soon test an invisible laserlike beam that triggers a painful burning sensation as a new way to break up fights between inmates...........The project does not yet have the green light from its federal sponsor. But should it go forward, officials plan to set up the beam-emitting machine, known as Assault Intervention Device (AID) in a dormitory at the North County Correctional Facility at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, Calif.
snip

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0203/America-s-prisoners-Should-we-shoot-them-with-a-giant-ray-gun

Can we test it at anti-war rallies? :D

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I know nothing about this device. I have read nothing about the health effects of this device. This device could pose long-term health problems for both prisoners and guards. That said.....

.....Hell, yes! Anytime you have the opportunity to inflict revenge with a ray gun, you should take it. :cool:

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I know nothing about this device. I have read nothing about the health effects of this device. This device could pose long-term health problems for both prisoners and guards. That said.....

.....Hell, yes! Anytime you have the opportunity to inflict revenge with a ray gun, you should take it. :cool:

You realize that every man here considers you the ideal woman because of posts like that. :D

A Colonel that I worked for several years ago (he's now a BG), had a job at a defense contractor which was developing the weapon. It uses the laser to stimulate nerve endings, creating a massive stinging sensation over any exposed skin (or under regular clothing. This was in 2003, and they had already done extensive testing, although when I asked if someone in a head-to-toe covering, like motocycle racing leathers, would be protected, and he told me that they hadn't considered that. I suspect that it led to another round of testing.

It's a riot control device. If they are testing it on prisoners, it is because they are rioting, and the state has the obligation to subdue them. If, as a result of their own misconduct, the prisoners end up exposed to something with longterm consequences, it's their own fault. If they don't want to be exposed, they can go back to their cells.

Calypso Jones
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't have a problem either with it being used appropriately but it will invariably find its way into uses for breaking up principally conservative gatherings. i'm thinking glenn beck rallies, tea parties and GOPconventions. :D

NJCardFan
02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Pfft, we don't even carry pepper spray. But I would make good use of this weapon.

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't have a problem either with it being used appropriately but it will invariably find its way into uses for breaking up principally conservative gatherings. i'm thinking glenn beck rallies, tea parties and GOPconventions. :D

Unlikely. Even this administration and its lapdog press would have trouble justifying its use against a peaceful gathering whose permits were in order. It would be like setting dogs, fire hoses and tear gas on conservatives, and no matter how much the left wants to do it, they know that they'd never get away with it.

noonwitch
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
It sounds like a more humane way to deal with a prison riot than bullets.

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
It sounds like a more humane way to deal with a prison riot than bullets.

You can hit an entire crowd with it and not lose hostages, which makes it tactically superior to bullets. Personally, I don't care if they shoot rioting prisoners, but I do care about hostage recovery.

noonwitch
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
You can hit an entire crowd with it and not lose hostages, which makes it tactically superior to bullets. Personally, I don't care if they shoot rioting prisoners, but I do care about hostage recovery.

Shooting prisoners with bullets leads to expensive lawsuits for your state.

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Shooting prisoners with bullets leads to expensive lawsuits for your state.

Only if you wound them.

megimoo
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Only if you wound them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmuyLIrSjxI&feature=related

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
You realize that every man here considers you the ideal woman because of posts like that. :D

But of course. ;)

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmuyLIrSjxI&feature=related

WARNING
The following comments are meant to be humorous. Levity-challenged persons should read at their own risk.

This goes double for Wilbur, Wei, Nova, etc.

Most leftists won't be too bothered by the Long Range Acoustic Device, since it's not much worse than standing near the speakers at a Grateful Dead concert. In fact, give them a couple of doobies and I doubt any of them will be able to tell the difference (except that the Long Range Acoustic Device projects a more danceable mix). The Active Denial System is basically a mobile tanning booth, and the only real drawback is that the perpetual pallor of college leftists might be mitigated by the first healthy skin tone of their lives, which means that they might be mistaken for non-liberal arts majors and actually have to take a test in something difficult.

megimoo
02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
WARNING
The following comments are meant to be humorous. Levity-challenged persons should read at their own risk.

This goes double for Wilbur, Wei, Nova, etc.

Most leftists won't be too bothered by the Long Range Acoustic Device, since it's not much worse than standing near the speakers at a Grateful Dead concert. In fact, give them a couple of doobies and I doubt any of them will be able to tell the difference (except that the Long Range Acoustic Device projects a more danceable mix). The Active Denial System is basically a mobile tanning booth, and the only real drawback is that the perpetual pallor of college leftists might be mitigated by the first healthy skin tone of their lives, which means that they might be mistaken for non-liberal arts majors and actually have to take a test in something difficult.

Here's a better way to 'break up' a riot ...several thousand,with loss of bowel control. ..defecating simultaneously

According to an urban legend, the brown note is an ultra-low or infrasonic frequency which resonates with a person's gastrointestinal tract, causing an uncontrollable loss of bowel control.

In theory, several thousand attendees of a brown note performance would defecate simultaneously, creating a medical emergency of epic proportions .The actual note or frequency connected with the brown note phenomenon is a matter of debate. Humans cannot hear frequencies below 20 Hertz (Hz).

Rockntractor
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Here's a better way to 'break up' a riot ...several thousand,with loss of bowel control. ..defecating simultaneously

According to an urban legend, the brown note is an ultra-low or infrasonic frequency which resonates with a person's gastrointestinal tract, causing an uncontrollable loss of bowel control.

In theory, several thousand attendees of a brown note performance would defecate simultaneously, creating a medical emergency of epic proportions .The actual note or frequency connected with the brown note phenomenon is a matter of debate. Humans cannot hear frequencies below 20 Hertz (Hz).

That's not legal, it's encrapment!

megimoo
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
That's not legal, it's encrapment!Wipe thyself piglet !

Odysseus
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM

They should use all of these simultaneously. The rioters wouldn't know whether to crap or go blind.

That's not legal, it's encrapment!

Nope. It's perfectly fecal. :D