PDA

View Full Version : WHAT, exactly, are Hillary Clinton's supporters so angry about?

megimoo
08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Angry Clinton women, continued

DENVER --WHAT, exactly, are Hillary Clinton's supporters so angry about?
I have to confess, that's a mystery to me.
Thus it was that when I found myself surrounded by a contingent of Clinton backers they marched and protested their way along Denver's 16th Street walking mall, shouting "elected, not selected," I took the opportunity to ask.

"This election was not fair," declared Deborah from New York, who asked that only her first name be used. Growing progressively more animated, she claimed that Clinton's supporters had been pressured not to vote for her, saying that "there are videos of 90-year-old people being intimidated at caucuses."

"It was not a fair primary," said Denise Andersen of San Francisco. And fie on the Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws Committee for reducing Clinton's claimed delegates totals from Michigan and Florida.

"This is a hijacked nomination, and we know who hijacked it," said Harriet, of New York. Her list: Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, and Howard Dean. "They picked him, they wanted him, and they wanted Hillary out."

How did they hijack it?

"With all the illegalities that went on in the caucuses," she said, adding disbelievingly: "You have to ask?"

A further sampler of the sentiment: The caucuses were undemocratic. In addition to refusing to seat all Clinton's delegates from Florida and Michigan, the DNC hadn't spoken out against the sexism Clinton had faced. Nor, for that matter, had Obama.

Now, it's certainly true that caucuses aren't as open or inclusive as primaries. But the rules are the rules, after all, and the Clinton camp knew them -- and still failed to plan adequately for the caucuses. As for Michigan and Florida, those states were aware of the consequences when they defied the DNC in setting their primary dates.

The rest of it just doesn't scan. Yes, there were incidents of sexism, but the notion that sexism somehow cost Clinton the nomination is way wide of the mark, as any number of careful postmortem's on Clinton's star-crossed campaign should have made obvious by now.

I asked the protesters about the argument that if they supported Clinton, the logical next move is to back Obama, since the two are very similar on the issues, while McCain holds very different positions. And that if they don't, McCain may wind up in the White House.

"That's the intellectual argument for the whole thing," Deborah said dismissively.

So angry is she that, though she has never voted for a Republican before, she said she will vote for John McCain. "At this point, it would be better than Obama," she declared. Harriet, wearing a NObama button, said she would as well.

Nor did Hillary Clinton's Tuesday speech persuade either Deborah or Harriet to rally around the Democratic candidate.

"I just can't support him," Deborah said. "Even though Hillary said to throw our support to him, that is not going to do it."

"She gave a brilliant, brilliant speech," said Harriet. "However, nothing will change my mind."

Those kinds of attitudes have other women shaking their heads in exasperation
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/08/27/angry_clinton_women_continued?mode=PF

Elspeth
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
It was the fraud. The intimidation. The lack of experience for Obama. The gaming of the primaries. Obama playing "99 Problems but the bitch ain't one" at his Iowa victory party and NO ONE calling him on it. It was Obama giving Hillary the finger quickly over his shoulder during a speech but then turning around and having his surrogates call her and Bill RACISTS for things that weren't racist at all.

And that's just for starters Megs.

I emailed the bastard. Well see if Scotty boy responds.

jediab
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
It was the fraud. The intimidation. The lack of experience for Obama. The gaming of the primaries. Obama playing "99 Problems but the bitch ain't one" at his Iowa victory party and NO ONE calling him on it. It was Obama giving Hillary the finger quickly over his shoulder during a speech but then turning around and having his surrogates call her and Bill RACISTS for things that weren't racist at all.

And that's just for starters Megs.

I emailed the bastard. Well see if Scotty boy responds.

One of the biggest shockers for me was seeing how quickly they attacked anyone from Hilary's camp using the same liberal tactics that were used against Conservatives for decades. Specifically Geraldine Ferraro's comments about Obama not being where he was if he wasn't black.

GrumpyOldLady
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
It was the fraud. The intimidation. The lack of experience for Obama. The gaming of the primaries. Obama playing "99 Problems but the bitch ain't one" at his Iowa victory party and NO ONE calling him on it. It was Obama giving Hillary the finger quickly over his shoulder during a speech but then turning around and having his surrogates call her and Bill RACISTS for things that weren't racist at all..

Yep. All that and more. I don't blame them for being ticked off.
Of course, Hillary pulls some real crappy moves herself.
But this time Obama out crapped her.

Joisey
08-29-2008, 07:09 AM
With this convention over, I bet PUMA will be welcoming a lot of new members. Hillary's speech was way better than Biden or Obama's. Her supporters must be saying to themselves, "What if?"