PDA

View Full Version : "Anorther Iceland Icelandic volcano 'set to erupt' "

megimoo
02-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Scientists in Iceland are warning that another volcano looks set to erupt and threatening to spew-out a pall of dust that would dwarf last year's event......... Geologists detected the high risk of a new eruption after evaluating an increased swarm of earthquakes around the island's second largest volcano.Pall Einarsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland, says the area around Bárdarbunga is showing signs of increased activity, which provides "good reason to worry".

He told the country's national TV station that a low number of seismometer measuring devices in the area is making it more difficult to determine the scale and likely outcome of the current shifts.But he said there was "every reason to worry" as the sustained earthquake tremors to the north east of the remote volcano range are the strongest recorded in recent times and there was "no doubt" the lava was rising.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/8311924/Icelandic-volcano-set-to-erupt.html

djones520
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Well it's a good thing it's an Icelandic Iceland volcano. Hate to have an Italian volcano erupt in Iceland.

I'll edit the title if you want me to. ;)

ironhorsedriver
02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Well it's a good thing it's an Icelandic Iceland volcano. Hate to have an Italian volcano erupt in Iceland.

That would be ugly , wouldn't it?

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 05:33 PM
These two seem to always go off together. The Icelanders have been expecting this.

megimoo
02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
These two seem to always go off together. The Icelanders have been expecting this.The whole country is volcanic.They generate power from volcanic steam pumped up from subterranean steam pockets.They heat most of their buildings with volcanic steam .Whats a little volcanic eruption now and again,It helps to relieves the pressure !Think of it as an Islandic Yellowstone style Caldera .

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
The whole country is volcanic.They generate power from volcanic steam pumped up from subterranean steam pockets.They heat most of their buildings with volcanic steam .Whats a little volcanic eruption now and again,It helps to relieves the pressure !Think of it as an Islandic Yellowstone style Caldera .

It's true that they take advantage of their natural geothermal resources. They have pioneered that technology. You'll notice that the Icelanders don't get much exercised over the price of oil. They use it for engines but not for heating or electricity.

On the other hand, Icelanders are notorious drunks. Well-mannered drunks but drunks all the same. ;)

djones520
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
It's true that they take advantage of their natural geothermal resources. They have pioneered that technology. You'll notice that the Icelanders don't get much exercised over the price of oil. They use it for engines but not for heating or electricity.

On the other hand, Icelanders are notorious drunks. Well-mannered drunks but drunks all the same. ;)

I spent a couple hours there last month. I can understand why. I didn't even see a single tree.

megimoo
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_YUwdiy8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vn6kxfD3Ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE6Kdo1AQmY&feature=related

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I spent a couple hours there last month. I can understand why. I didn't even see a single tree.

I lived in Sweden for some time and on the way back, I stayed for a couple of months in Iceland with a friend. It's an interesting country and an interesting people.

You have to like saunas, booze, indirect jokes, and meat to live well in Iceland. I had a great time, obviously. You do not want to ever have to use an Icelandic phone book, though. They mostly use cells today but getting the telephone number of an individual is a huge nightmare. :eek:

djones520
02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd love to get stationed there. But the Navy took all the weather positions. :mad:

Gingersnap
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd love to get stationed there. But the Navy took all the weather positions. :mad:

It can be really hard on people who aren't predisposed to the life. The sunlight (and lack thereof) bothers people. Aside from hikes and horseback riding, there isn't a lot to do outside (but you should totally hire the native ponies). The diet is kind of low carb because so much in the way of fruit, grain, and veggies have to be imported.

On the other hand, the drinking culture is really enjoyable. It's fun in a way that is seldom seen in Anglophone countries. The people are almost all uniformly smart, well mannered, and law abiding. There is little crime in Iceland. The Icelanders themselves believe this is because they've systematically killed all the genetic criminals over the years (not lately, of course).

The Asatru are big in Iceland even though almost everybody belongs to the State church.

SaintLouieWoman
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM

I was there twice about 10 years ago. I loved the place. In sales I saw way too many people. It's blissfully underpopulated there. I went to the area that's compared to our Yellowstone. There were many little hot pots boiling away. It was an eerie landscape.

They might be drinkers, but I've heard they're one of the most literate nations in the world. There's not much to do there but read.

PoliCon
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM

what if it were a mexican volcano erupting in Iceland! How funny would that be!:D

Rockntractor
02-08-2011, 11:10 PM
what if it were a mexican volcano erupting in Iceland! How funny would that be!:D

What would be funny is if you fell in the crater of an ant hill!:rolleyes:

PoliCon
02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
What would be funny is if you fell in the crater of an ant hill!:rolleyes:

:mad: That only happened once and I was drunk. :p

linda22003
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm going in March, so I hope it holds off for awhile.

Gingersnap
02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
They might be drinkers, but I've heard they're one of the most literate nations in the world. There's not much to do there but read.

They are extremely well educated. Partly this is because they have a small, homogeneous population with a strong cultural history of literature but also because you just can't get drunk and have sex 24 hours out of every day. :p

dixierat
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
They are extremely well educated. Partly this is because they have a small, homogeneous population with a strong cultural history of literature but also because you just can't get drunk and have sex 24 hours out of every day. :p

SAY WHAT????

:cool:

Gingersnap
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
SAY WHAT????

:cool:

I know - crazy, right? It just didn't work out for them. :D

Madisonian
02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Don't teach that in a public school or you will be labeled a racist.:rolleyes: