PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Lee blasts 'demeaning' Pepsi Super Bowl ad

PoliCon
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
By Pete Kasperowicz - 02/09/11 08:56 AM ET

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) took to the House floor Tuesday night to criticize what she called a "demeaning" Pepsi ad that aired during the Super Bowl.

In the ad for Pepsi Max, a black woman sitting on a park bench gets angry with her husband after an attractive, white female jogger sits down next to the couple and smiles and waves at the man.

After the man smiles back, his girlfriend or wife gets angry and whips her Pepsi Max can at him. The man ducks, and the can hits the attractive jogger in the head. The ad is titled "Love hurts."

Jackson Lee said it was ridiculous for the soft drink maker to air the advertisement during African-American history month.

"In this month of African-American history where we're trying to celebrate what is good and great, it certainly seems ridiculous that Pepsi would utilize this kind of humor," she said. "It was not humorous. It was demeaning an African-American woman throwing something at an African-American male and winding up hitting a Caucasian woman."

Jackson Lee said she has a sense of humor and believes in the First Amendment. She also said the Super Bowl is a great time for "fellowship" with family members.

"That is why I'm so disappointed with the Pepsi advertisement that showed a demeaning role for African American women, in an ad that showed a can being thrown and being utilized to wound someone else or hit someone else," she said.

"I think that we can come together in a much better way, sell Pepsi, and as well talk about good nutrition," she said. "But, frankly, I consider this insulting, and so did many other women of all colors."

Jackson Lee also said it would be great to have a lot more women in ads at the Super Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjRU6b4ecw

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/142929-jackson-lee-blasts-demeaning-pepsi-super-bowl-ad

djones520
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Someone tell that bitch to shut up. How the hell did she get reelected?

FlaGator
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Does Jackson just sit around waiting to be offended by trivial things?

PoliCon
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM

because they love her where she's from.

Calypso Jones
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
did she explain the demeaning part?

Madisonian
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
did she explain the demeaning part?
Must have been the "how dare you look at a white woman" part.

NJCardFan
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Because she lives in a predominantly black district and a majority of blacks vote color over any other qualifications. As for the commercial, I said when I saw it that someone is going to say something stupid about it. I'm surprised it took this long.

Articulate_Ape
02-09-2011, 08:37 PM

[Morgan Freeman narration] She apparently never did take no cotton to things lest they's trivial things. [/Morgan Freeman narration]

Calypso Jones
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought the ad quite funny. I can see a lot of areas that she might find demeaning. I just have to wonder if someone who developed this ad had an ulterior motive. I mean who could not see the societal problems and implications with a black guy flirting with a white girl, the black girl throwing a pepsi can to hit him and it hits the runner. And then the two of them run off leaving runner on the walk barely conscious. I mean that's a lot of.....well. you know what i mean.

Did anyone maybe suggest a white wife, white husband, black runner, or whatever combination? But they hit on just the exact one.

djones520
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
So Black Couple, White Jogger, shows Black people in a negative light.

White Couple, Black Jogger getting hit, whitey beating on a Black person.

All White people? Keeping the Black people down by not including them.

All Black people? Showing an unfair representation of Black people being violent.

No matter what we do, there is plenty of ways for these idiots to be "offended". :rolleyes:

Madisonian
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I thought the ad quite funny. I can see a lot of areas that she might find demeaning. I just have to wonder if someone who developed this ad had an ulterior motive. I mean who could not see the societal problems and implications with a black guy flirting with a white girl, the black girl throwing a pepsi can to hit him and it hits the runner. And then the two of them run off leaving runner on the walk barely conscious. I mean that's a lot of.....well. you know what i mean.

Did anyone maybe suggest a white wife, white husband, black runner, or whatever combination? But they hit on just the exact one.

There apparently must be some unwritten TV ad policy that it is OK for black men to be attracted to white women (or the other way around) but it is still very much taboo to show black women and white men showing any attraction to each other.
Not sure why.

Calypso Jones
02-09-2011, 09:10 PM
There apparently must be some unwritten TV ad policy that it is OK for black men to be attracted to white women (or the other way around) but it is still very much taboo to show black women and white men showing any attraction to each other.
Not sure why.

I don't find that the case. I see it all the time. I can name a few right off the top of my head. Serenity: Wash(white) and Zoe (black). RED HelenMirren and Morgan Freeman. Another one that i cannot remember right at this minute. OH. Monster Ball. Halle Berry/Billy Bob Thornton. Chronicles of Riddick: Urban's character and Thandie Newton's character.

Kay
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) took to the House floor Tuesday night to criticize what she called a "demeaning" Pepsi ad that aired during the Super Bowl.

Why would something of this nature EVER be discussed on the House floor?
Advertising and what superbowl ads worked or not is about as appropriate
for Congress to be discussing as what baseball players are taking steroids was.

megimoo
02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
She has shown by her past actions that she isn't very 'bright'!She feels that she needs to keep her name in the news and the only way she can do that is to come up with these foolish complaints .She represents a district created to be more favorable to black candidates.She's not a Texas native but was born in Queens New York!Jackson Lee stated that the 2003 list of hurricanes was too "lily white"..

CueSi
02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
I don't find that the case. I see it all the time. I can name a few right off the top of my head. Serenity: Wash(white) and Zoe (black). RED HelenMirren and Morgan Freeman. Another one that i cannot remember right at this minute. OH. Monster Ball. Halle Berry/Billy Bob Thornton. Chronicles of Riddick: Urban's character and Thandie Newton's character.

Yes, those examples are notable, but think with me here. If we're talking white male/black female, you named three movies, two of which was science fiction (presumably taking place on a future where there are so many other species that race is just not an issue) and the other can't be immediately relateable to, it kinda falls flat, especially when it's a commercial we're talking about. The last time I saw a pairing like mine in an ad, that was Christmas '06ish, for the Sears Wish Book. Once. Ever. And with biracial couplings on the rise, that's just sad.

But it wasn't racism that pissed me off about that Pepsi ad, it was the outright endorsing of misandry and violence against men. No man could be seen even contemplating treating a woman like that without Oprah, NOW, or various feminist orgs screaming bloody murder. That's the shit that makes my teeth itch.

~QC

Constitutionally Speaking
02-10-2011, 06:30 AM
So Black Couple, White Jogger, shows Black people in a negative light.

White Couple, Black Jogger getting hit, whitey beating on a Black person.

All White people? Keeping the Black people down by not including them.

All Black people? Showing an unfair representation of Black people being violent.

No matter what we do, there is plenty of ways for these idiots to be "offended". :rolleyes:

Pretty much nailed it there DJ

SarasotaRepub
02-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Why would something of this nature EVER be discussed on the House floor?
Advertising and what superbowl ads worked or not is about as appropriate
for Congress to be discussing as what baseball players are taking steroids was.

Simple. She's an idiot attention whore.

Rebel Yell
02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Because her constituents are ill informed.

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
by her own admission.

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Jackson Lee said it was ridiculous for the soft drink maker to air the advertisement during African-American history month.
So, if they'd aired it during Domestic Violence Awareness Month it would have been okay? :rolleyes:

But it wasn't racism that pissed me off about that Pepsi ad, it was the outright endorsing of misandry and violence against men. No man could be seen even contemplating treating a woman like that without Oprah, NOW, or various feminist orgs screaming bloody murder. That's the shit that makes my teeth itch.
~QC

I suspect that Pepsi used a black couple and white jogger specifically because they wanted the attention that a racial controversy would cause. If it had been a white couple and white jogger, or a black couple and black jogger, it would simply have been another gag in which a woman throws something at a man and nobody would have noticed it. This way, an incredibly stupid Congresswoman is ensuring that Pepsi gets its money's worth out of the ad by highlighting it.

noonwitch
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
When I saw that ad, I knew somebody would end up saying it was offensive.

I thought it was funny.

fettpett
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
That was one of the best and FUNNIEST commercials I saw all night, she can just shut the fuck up

NJCardFan
02-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Quintin Tarentino's character 'Jimmy' in Pulp Fiction was married to a black woman(Bonnie). The protagonist in a recent TV movie Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story(which is a true story) was married to a white man. And I remember an old IKEA commercial featuring a black woman and a white man and she was pregnant. So, it's out there.

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Weezie and George....what was that show? White Male character married to a black woman. That was what? seventies? eighties?

are there any white democrats married to black women?

Rebel Yell
02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Quintin Tarentino's character 'Jimmy' in Pulp Fiction was married to a black woman(Bonnie). The protagonist in a recent TV movie Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story(which is a true story) was married to a white man. And I remember an old IKEA commercial featuring a black woman and a white man and she was pregnant. So, it's out there.

The Bodyguard
Zebrahead
Guess Who
Napolean Dynamite (who can forget LaFawnda)

enslaved1
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Weezie and George....what was that show? White Male character married to a black woman. That was what? seventies? eighties?

The Jefferson's neighbors Helen and Tom (can't think of the last name off the top of my head) were a mixed couple, and since George is black, he got to lay into them all the time for it. I remember he called their daughter "zebra" quite a bit. But that's no problem, since it's just payback for centuries of oppression. :rolleyes:

DJones did hit the nail on the head. There are people out there just constantly in search of something to be offended by, and that's something if you look hard enough for, you're guaranteed to find it.

I agree there too. Not that I support the idea of hitting women (chivalry and all that), but why is it perfectly OK for a woman to hit a man, but if a man returns the favor, or defends himself (300 lb man smacking around 150lb girlfriend/wife doesn't count) he's crucified? Shouldn't it go both ways?

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Obama? :D

txradioguy
02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Simple. She's an idiot attention whore.

This woman is an embarrassment to my state.

:mad:

fettpett
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM

she's an embarrassment to my church too :mad:

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Oh, c'mon. Stop hogging her. She's an embarrassment to the entire nation.

MrsSmith
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, those examples are notable, but think with me here. If we're talking white male/black female, you named three movies, two of which was science fiction (presumably taking place on a future where there are so many other species that race is just not an issue) and the other can't be immediately relateable to, it kinda falls flat, especially when it's a commercial we're talking about. The last time I saw a pairing like mine in an ad, that was Christmas '06ish, for the Sears Wish Book. Once. Ever. And with biracial couplings on the rise, that's just sad.

~QC
Exactly. Could you imagine the outcry if the man had thrown anything at the woman in anger? Feminists would go after the NFL, the station, the company represented, the company that made the ad... :rolleyes:

CueSi
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree there too. Not that I support the idea of hitting women (chivalry and all that), but why is it perfectly OK for a woman to hit a man, but if a man returns the favor, or defends himself (300 lb man smacking around 150lb girlfriend/wife doesn't count) he's crucified? Shouldn't it go both ways?

Most are brainwashed to think women aren't aggressive and generally are less harmful than men. To people that think that, I advise them to follow a group of middle school girls. THAT will change their minds. Nothing is more brutal than the rage and anger of a group of middle school girls with a purpose and target. Piranhas won't bite them out of professional courtesy.

Exactly. Could you imagine the outcry if the man had thrown anything at the woman in anger? Feminists would go after the NFL, the station, the company represented, the company that made the ad... :rolleyes:

That's what I get. Next to the lie that the devil does not exist, the idea that 'she's a woman, she wouldn't hurt a soul' is the next most successful lie perpetrated on humanity.

~QC

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Most are brainwashed to think women aren't aggressive and generally are less harmful than men. To people that think that, I advise them to follow a group of middle school girls. THAT will change their minds. Nothing is more brutal than the rage and anger of a group of middle school girls with a purpose and target. Piranhas won't bite them out of professional courtesy.

I always assumed that it was out of fear. :D

That's what I get. Next to the lie that the devil does not exist, the idea that 'she's a woman, she wouldn't hurt a soul' is the next most successful lie perpetrated on humanity.

~QC

The only people who believe that women are the gentler sex are those who have never dated one.

Rebel Yell
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
The only people who believe that women are the gentler sex are those who have never dated one.

Nova?:D:p

fettpett
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM

she is that too

fettpett
02-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Dude have you ever been around a pregnant one? OMG that is some SCARY shit there

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Dude have you ever been around a pregnant one? OMG that is some SCARY shit there
I have two kids, and survived both pregnancies.

she is that too
See? We can all share. :D

Nova?:D:p

LOL

fettpett
02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
I have two kids, and survived both pregnancies.

See? We can all share. :D

LOL

I've got three....wait for that third one...it's a doozy :D

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I've got three....wait for that third one...it's a doozy :D

Sadly, we're too old for a third. But the first two are doozies in their own right. :D

fettpett
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Sadly, we're too old for a third. But the first two are doozies in their own right. :D

you're never too old....she might be, but you aren't :D

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
you're never too old....she might be, but you aren't :D

Yes, but if I try with anyone else, I won't get any older. :D

fettpett
02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, but if I try with anyone else, I won't get any older. :D

:D:D

LOL

PoliCon
02-10-2011, 10:13 PM

lets be honest - she's an embarrassment to the human race. :rolleyes: