PDA

View Full Version : Egypt's Mubarak to step down (Update)

Gingersnap
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Egypt's Mubarak to step down
Sources tell NBC News that Vice President Suleiman to take over as leader

http://i51.tinypic.com/zmmk9z.jpg
Image: Egyptian lawyers in black robes, at right, are stopped by anti-riot police officers
Mohammed Abou Zaid / AP

NBC, msnbc.com and news services NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 1 hour 20 minutes ago 2011-02-10T15:52:40

CAIRO Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak is to step down after 17 days of pro-democracy protests, two sources told NBC News on Thursday.

Following an all-day meeting of the country's supreme military council, the army said all the protesters' demands would be met and a further statement was expected to be made later Thursday, clarifying the situation.

Mubarak was expected to formally announce his departure in an address to the nation tonight.

NBC News said a high-ranking source inside the president's office said that Mubarak would step down and the newly appointed vice president, Omar Suleiman, would take over. This was then confirmed by a second source.

Mubarak was not present at the supreme council meeting, despite being the commander in chief of Egypt's armed forces.

State TV announced that the supreme council had expressed its "support of the legitimate demands of the people."

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41506482/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/)

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Beck says. You will see in the next 30 days a blood bath in the torture chambers of Egypt. We're looking at an Iran Redux. Good chance he says.

linda22003
02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Beck says. You will see in the next 30 days a blood bath in the torture chambers of Egypt. We're looking at an Iran Redux. Good chance he says.

Then it must be TRUE! :eek:

Wei Wu Wei
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Um Beck knows what he's talking about, he reads Books, wears glasses, has a chalkboard, but most importantly he totally gets me and my simple, old-fashioned, common-sense way of life :)

I can totally identify with him, I can Trust him, Glenn Beck? More like Glenn Everyman

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
well, mock if you wish, but we'll just find out soon enough won't we? He didn't say that it was definite but whether you like it or not...he's been right. Even your serious news site SNL admits it.

djones520
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
They've been delaying this long, I think it's pretty likely that Mubarak has been working to ensure there will be as stable a government as possible after he steps down.

Rockntractor
02-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Um Beck knows what he's talking about, he reads Books, wears glasses, has a chalkboard, but most importantly he totally gets me and my simple, old-fashioned, common-sense way of life :)

I can totally identify with him, I can Trust him, Glenn Beck? More like Glenn Everyman

Times awastin Wei, get those Mexicans and move the south. Don't worry about Egypt, they already have pinko commies advising them.

linda22003
02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
well, mock if you wish, but we'll just find out soon enough won't we? He didn't say that it was definite but whether you like it or not...he's been right. Even your serious news site SNL admits it.

We will find out soon enough, indeed. Not sure what "serious news site SNL" is.

Rockntractor
02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
We will find out soon enough, indeed. Not sure what "serious news site SNL" is.

I do not understand.:confused:

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I was saying that Liberals consider Saturday Nite Live as a serious news site. :)

Rockntractor
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I was saying that Liberals consider Saturday Nite Live as a serious news site. :)

I know, and now Linda does too!:D

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
It might be a stable transition for about 5 days and then all hell is going to break loose. my prediction.

Rockntractor
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
It might be a stable transition for about 5 days and then all hell is going to break loose. my prediction.

And then if it is anything like times past, seas of refuges who will quite magically turn into Palestinians being persecuted by Israel.

linda22003
02-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Since you said it was a serious news site, I was trying to think of something with that acronym which was a serious news site.

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Looks like somebody jumped the shark in saying Mubarak is stepping down tonite. I don't mean the OP. I mean the news source. It is now being reported that Mubarak is NOT leaving. Good.

Wei Wu Wei
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
This symbol has apparently been popping up in many places in the Egyptian crowds:

http://i.imgur.com/n0XnD.jpg

Calypso Jones
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
source please?

Wei Wu Wei
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
There's been a lot of this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/02/07/2011-02-07_muslims_turn_out_in_mass.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/02/07/alg_egypt_koran.jpg

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/africa/450890-egypt-christians-muslims-unite-in-tahrir.html

http://www.onislam.net/english/oimedia/onislamen/images/mainimages/Unity%20in%20Tahrir1.JPG
(Christians holding hands, forming a protective circle around the praying Muslims)

There's been some tension in past years between the Muslim majority and Christian minority but they seem to have put their differences aside and come together for the revolution.

Apache
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
There's been a lot of this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/02/07/2011-02-07_muslims_turn_out_in_mass.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/02/07/alg_egypt_koran.jpg

http://www.onislam.net/english/news/africa/450890-egypt-christians-muslims-unite-in-tahrir.html

http://www.onislam.net/english/oimedia/onislamen/images/mainimages/Unity%20in%20Tahrir1.JPG
(Christians holding hands, forming a protective circle around the praying Muslims)

There's been some tension in past years between the Muslim majority and Christian minority but they seem to have put their differences aside and come together for the revolution.

You are truly ignorant....

Dan D. Doty
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
It won't be very long until Isreal is attacked.

And every Moonbat will be totally surprised ... even thou they were told a million times before hand.

Wei Wu Wei
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
He just spoke and isn't planning to go anywhere. The crowd is pissed.

Molon Labe
02-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Actually, there is much credibility that this isn't an Islamic thing at all. I've seen several videos of Christians or the secular crowds forming lines around Muslim protesters while they pray during the protests.

Mubarak was douche. Anyone who holds power in any country for 20 + years should be questioned and isn't a leader Americans should ever support.

Rockntractor
02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Step up step down step up.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Step-Ups.gif

Hawkgirl
02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
He was for it, before he was against it.

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Okay, let's hear your prediction for the first few months after Mubarak steps down. I'll happily remind you of the accuracy of your forecast when the time comes.

They've been delaying this long, I think it's pretty likely that Mubarak has been working to ensure there will be as stable a government as possible after he steps down.

Or, he's been making sure that his Swiss chalet has been made ready for his arrival.

Madisonian
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

They sure have... (http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/egypt-muslim-savages-massacre-two-christian-coptic-families-11-killed-including-children/)

The massacre took place on Jan. 30 at 3 PM in the village of Sharona near Maghagha, Minya province. Two Islamists groups, aided by the Muslim neighbors, descended on the roof of houses owned by Copts, killing 11 Copts, including children, and seriously injuring four others.

Um... you were saying...

Nubs
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
This symbol has apparently been popping up in many places in the Egyptian crowds:

http://i.imgur.com/n0XnD.jpg

Yes, but which symbol is superimposed upon the other??

wonderdog123
02-11-2011, 04:04 AM

Exactly. Even if he does step down another dictator either from his party or from their military will take power.

Might be a good thing to keep the Islamists and the Muslim Brotherhood at bay.

Gingersnap
02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Drudge is reporting that he's stepped down and turned it over to the military.

Wei Wu Wei
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
:)

fettpett
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
We need to watch for the Second Revolution...it's always the worse...France, Russia, Germany and Iran are all examples

Molon Labe
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Drudge is reporting that he's stepped down and turned it over to the military.

Yes...being reported in European and Arab news outlets as well.

hampshirebrit
02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Bye bye Hosni.

Thanks for playing your part in keeping the peace in the ME for the past 30 years. I appreciate it, even if some of our so-called leaders don't.

Arroyo_Doble
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Bye bye Hosni.

Thanks for playing your part in keeping the peace in the ME for the past 30 years. I appreciate it, even if some of our so-called leaders don't.

What are your leaders in Britland saying?

Yukon
02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Egypt will now be taken over by radical Muslim fundametalists - the most dangerous people in the world. Egypt has fallen as did Iran many years ago and the ignorant masses cheer this hollow victory.

As happened in Iran will happen in Egypt. Israel will now be placed on a war footing for they are the only ones who will suffer. Mubarak may have been disliked as was the Shaw in Iran but both men maintained stable governments and kept the loonies in control. God help these people now for they have no idea whats in store for them.

I did a lot of intelligence work when I was in the military and I know of what I speak.

Arroyo_Doble
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Egypt will now be taken over by radical Muslim fundametalists - the most dangerous people in the world. Egypt has fallen as did Iran many years ago and the ignorant masses cheer this hollow victory.

As happened in Iran will happen in Egypt. Israel will now be placed on a war footing for they are the only ones who will suffer. Mubarak may have been disliked as was the Shaw in Iran but both men maintained stable governments and kept the loonies in control. God help these people now for they have no idea whats in store for them.

I did a lot of intelligence work when I was in the military and I know of what I speak.

Whose army will these "radical Muslim fundametalists" [sic] (unless you are talking about hard core Metallica fans) be using? The Egyptian army has been pretty tight with the United States for a few decades now.

Bailey
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

The salvation army doesn't qualify.

Yukon
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Arroyo,

The Taliban army they will be used and it is an army made up of millions of Islamist terrorists - they claim to be freedom fighters. What makes anyone think for one minute that Egypt is any different than any other country in the middle-east? All of these places must be controlled by strong arm men. What we wnat is for the strong-arm men to be on our side.

Apache
02-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Even the Canadian military doesn't allow 9 year olds...quit lying

Arroyo_Doble
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Arroyo,

The Taliban army they will be used and it is an army made up of millions of Islamist terrorists - they claim to be freedom fighters. What makes anyone think for one minute that Egypt is any different than any other country in the middle-east? All of these places must be controlled by strong arm men. What we wnat is for the strong-arm men to be on our side.

The Taliban army, when it's not protecting pedophilic rapists, cannot even manuever effectively outside one of the most remote regions on the populated planet and you have them posing a threat to Israel, let alone taking over the military ranks Egyptian forces?

djones520
02-11-2011, 04:55 PM
The Taliban army, when it's not protecting pedophilic rapists, cannot even manuever effectively outside one of the most remote regions on the populated planet and you have them posing a threat to Israel, let alone taking over the military ranks Egyptian forces?

Not to bright is he.

The military has had the governments back this entire time, which is a very good thing. Sure, their may be a few disgruntled radicals here and there, but if they were going to turn, they would have by now.

hampshirebrit
02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Arroyo,

Even our libtards think you're a moron. WTF's up with that? :confused::rolleyes:

djones520
02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Even our libtards think you're a moron. WTF's up with that? :confused::rolleyes:

Now now, Arroyo is far from a libtard. The other libtards do seem to be avoiding him at the least though.

Rockntractor
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Now now, Arroyo is far from a libtard.
He is close enough that he wouldn't have to stop for lunch on the way there!:D

hampshirebrit
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Now now, Arroyo is far from a libtard. The other libtards do seem to be avoiding him at the least though.

I didn't mention any of our libtards in particular, now did I.

djones520
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I didn't mention any of our libtards in particular, now did I.

Well since he's the only one who responded, and his name was in the qoute, I figured thats who you were referring to. ;)

Now get your petulant child in line Hamps. :p

Arroyo_Doble
02-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I have the scarlet L.

... er ... box.

hampshirebrit
02-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Well since he's the only one who responded, and his name was in the qoute, I figured thats who you were referring to. ;)

Now get your petulant child in line Hamps. :p

LOL. I will try.

Madisonian
02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Being a subject for LSD testing does not qualify as being in the military or working for intelligence.

Zathras
02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/Mullet2000/derp.gif

Fixed for accuracy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SjTtoY2DWE0/TEMiHSLE7uI/AAAAAAAAABM/caXwaP1qJHw/s1600/SmellsLikeBullshit.jpg

noonwitch
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM

It's the best way for him to step aside with his head still attached to his body. The longer this dragged out, the uglier it was going to be.

I hope that this works out for the Egyptian people. A big part of their economy is tourism to their ancient sites. Hopefully, they keep that in mind while they decide their future.

Rockntractor
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
It's the best way for him to step aside with his head still attached to his body. The longer this dragged out, the uglier it was going to be.

I hope that this works out for the Egyptian people. A big part of their economy is tourism to their ancient sites. Hopefully, they keep that in mind while they decide their future.

This will work out for the Muslim brotherhood, Iran will have an ally.