PDA

View Full Version : No More Rocking Out: 'Guitar Hero' Gets the Ax

txradioguy
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
NEW YORK -- These days, guns are more popular than guitars, at least when it comes to video games. The company behind "Guitar Hero" said Wednesday that it is pulling the plug on one of the most influential video game titles of the new century.

Activision Blizzard Inc., which also produces the "Call of Duty" series, is ending the "Guitar Hero" franchise after a run of more than five years. The move follows Viacom Inc.'s decision in November to sell its money-losing unit behind the "Rock Band" video games.

Harmonix was sold to an investment firm for an undisclosed sum. Harmonix, incidentally, was behind the first "Guitar Hero" game.

Game industry analysts have long lamented the "weakness in the music genre," as they call it -- that is, the inability of game makers to drum up demand for the products after an initial surge in popularity in the mid-2000s. Music games are often more expensive than your typical shoot-'em-up game because they require guitars, microphones and other musical equipment. While extra songs can be purchased for download, this hasn't been enough to keep the games profitable.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/10/rocking-guitar-hero-gets-ax/#ixzz1DZrIQ8lY

fettpett
02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
um....looks like Kotick sees the writing on the wall that those types of games are going down the toilet and is jumping ship...fine with me though

Zafod
02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
guitar hero is only fun after 6 beers.....

djones520
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Rock Band was money losing? Always seemed the better game to me. *shrugs* Neither of them were my cup of tea though.

fettpett
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Rock Band was money losing? Always seemed the better game to me. *shrugs* Neither of them were my cup of tea though.

yeah, Guitar Hero was on the decline too

personally think that they screwed themselves by making it so expensive to play

Jfor
02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Bummer... I really like Guitar Hero and all of them.

Novaheart
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
wfc?