PDA

View Full Version : Mubarak: I Am an Arab Warrior, Not a Community Organizer

megimoo
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
This is a huge lesson in political culture. It also shows just how bad the media coverage has been. Mubarak is not resigning. He’s managing the “reform” process. He is appointing a committee to study constitutional changes. He will decide when there are elections. He is going to “consider” changing the emergency law. He basically said: I am an Arab warrior, not a community organizer. That speech should be required reading for anyone who wants to understand the Middle East.

This is not over yet. There has been no revolution so far, but the protesters are going to freak out. If Obama has been interpreted as applauding real and major change, either he didn’t know what Mubarak was going to say or he is going to look like a total fool.

When Mubarak said he won’t accept outside advice, that was a direct slap at Obama. Can you imagine the expression on Obama’s face as he watched the speech after being told by his intelligence that Mubarak resigned? After he made a speech about how the youth had forced change? If I had to summarize it, tabloid-style, I’d say: “Mubarak to Obama: Drop Dead!“

The regime is not giving in — Mubarak will leave office, perhaps in September, but the regime will fight on. The speech was the equivalent of Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood saying: Come and get me!

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/259517/mubarak-i-am-arab-warrior-not-community-organizer-barry-rubin

fettpett
02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
watched/listened to some of it....thought it was pretty funny he slapped Obassiah around saying he wasn't going to cowtow to any "outside" influences

Articulate_Ape
02-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Bam Bam is a foreign policy disaster that has even managed to eclipse Mr. Peanut (AKA OOTWPOTUSE*)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_of9ue2vob2g/TI2gj4jhpAI/AAAAAAAANCE/G3J9TsajQEE/s1600/obama+bowing+down+to+saudi+king.jpg

* One of the worst presidents of the united states evah

Hawkgirl
02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
"not a community organizer" :eek:

Is that a direct stab at Obummer?

Articulate_Ape
02-10-2011, 06:48 PM

You do the math. :p

Odysseus
02-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Mmmmmmmm.... Could be. :D

Starbuck
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
......... He basically said: I am an Arab warrior, not a community organizer.............

Basically, I suppose so, but that is NOT what he said. And I take issue with any reporter who feels so empowered that he will put words into a head of state's mouth.
He shrugged off Obama, as he should have. If Mubarak had stepped down Obama would have taken credit for it, and I don't see Mubarak putting up with that. After all, Obama was still in grade school when Mubarak became President. Obama would have gotten further if he had said nothing publicly.

So to Mr Rubin, the author of the article I say, "Please, just report. Tell us what he said - exactly what he said - and then let us discuss it. We can come up with our own snide remarks."

Here's what Mubarak said:

I have been, like you, a young man, and when I learned the military honor of Egypt and my allegiance to the homeland and sacrifice to the (homeland ?). I have spent most of my life in defense of its sovereignty, and I have seen a lot of wars, and I have seen a lot of failures and a lot of victories. (Inaudible) -- times, and I have lived during the happiest days of my life when I raised the Egyptian flag over -- (word inaudible). And I have confronted death in Addis Ababa and in many other locations -- (inaudible).

I have never succumbed to any international pressure or dictation. I have preserved my dignity and I have preserved the peace for Egypt, and I have worked hard for a renaissance, and I have never tried to have more authority.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/crisis-in-egypt/unofficial-transcript-of-mubaraks-address/article1902751/