PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Casualty

Kay
02-11-2011, 07:53 AM
I thought I'd share this story with everyone as warning. I learned yesterday that
an employee where I work had been fired for making 'terroristic threats' against
the company on Facebook.

This woman was off on maternity leave. She posted on her Facebook page that
her leave was about up and she was dreading having to go back to work. She
posted something to the effect of "I hope the whole building burns to the ground
with everyone in it" so I don't have to go back. Another employee sees this and
reports it to their supervisor, who takes it to HR and the end result is the person
was fired for 'terroristic threats'.

Now I know this person who posted that is no more going to burn the building
down than I would. She was just venting and thought she was talking just among
friends on Facebook and I know didn't mean a thing by it other then she was
dreading to go back to work after being off so long.

But that's the danger of putting words out there on a social site.
Kind of scary as you never who's reading what you say and might take it literally.

linda22003
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
"I have NO idea what you're talking about."
http://chrislee.house.gov/images/user_images/photogallery/Chris_Lee_R-NY_-23.JPG

megimoo
02-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I thought I'd share this story with everyone as warning. I learned yesterday that
an employee where I work had been fired for making 'terroristic threats' against
the company on Facebook.

This woman was off on maternity leave. She posted on her Facebook page that
her leave was about up and she was dreading having to go back to work. She
posted something to the effect of "I hope the whole building burns to the ground
with everyone in it" so I don't have to go back. Another employee sees this and
reports it to their supervisor, who takes it to HR and the end result is the person
was fired for 'terroristic threats'.

Now I know this person who posted that is no more going to burn the building
down than I would. She was just venting and thought she was talking just among
friends on Facebook and I know didn't mean a thing by it other then she was
dreading to go back to work after being off so long.

But that's the danger of putting words out there on a social site.
Kind of scary as you never who's reading what you say and might take it literally.
It's the old story.Never puit in writing how you really feel about anything .It seens to me common sense that you don't go and 'spill your guts' to people that you've never met and don't really know anything about ?If you were to tell a person that you don't trust a secret about someone else count on it coming back to bite you in the butt !

linda22003
02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
It's the old story.Never puit in writing how you really feel about anything .It seens to me common sense that you don't go and 'spill your guts' to people that you've never met and don't really know anything about ?If you were to tell a person that you don't trust a secret about someone else count on it coming back to bite you in the butt !

At the risk of realigning all the stars and planets, I have to say.... MEGIMOO IS RIGHT about this.

PoliCon
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
At the risk of realigning all the stars and planets, I have to say.... MEGIMOO IS RIGHT about this.

Time to move this thread.

It's the end of Teh World I tell ya!!:D

megimoo
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Time to move this thread.

It's the end of Teh World I tell ya!!:DYou two should 'hook up' somewhere !How about Gehinnam ?

linda22003
02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I can understand her not wanting to go back to work (and, hey! She got her wish, right?). I do think it's pretty nasty to want the building to "burn down with everyone in it". Now she has a good long time to think about what words mean, and how to express herself better. :)

Gingersnap
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
People need to process the fact that the Internet is a quasi-public arena unless you take pains to conceal your interactions from others.

Even then, if you post something inflammatory on a site, behind the security wall, you still run the risk of an interested party seeing it, copying it, and passing it along for amusement or maliciousness.

Playing around on the Internet is like going to a huge block party. Sure, you can drink too much and feel up one of neighbors without too much trouble but if someone wants to get you, you can be sure your activity will be gleefully reported to your spouse along with any relevant pix.

NJCardFan
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I barely breeze by my facebook page but when I do, I never say anything so stupid. But in a sense, she got her wish. I hope she's happy.

Lanie
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM

There are a lot of people who only friend somebody they personally know on facebook or these other social networking sites.

Megimoo is right though. Watch your mouth on facebook. There's always going to be somebody who takes things a little bit too seriously. Oddly enough, I don't even have co-workers as facebook friends. If one of them sends me a request, I'll accept. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I want to open that door on myself. Actually, it's been suggested that I remove where I work from my profile because there is software that a company can use to find out stuff in relation to their company and the website.

linda22003
02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a small number of Facebook friends (around 40, I think) because it's limited to close real life friends and to family members. I don't post where I work and I don't friend co-workers. My FB participation is primarily light conversation; it keeps far flung family members in touch between our infrequent meetings.

Gingersnap
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I have zero Facebook friends and no profile. Yet I seem to meet people for drinks, go out to lunch, or attend events with friends way more than some of my Facebook-obsessed colleagues. I mean, I'm more social in RL by a factor of 10 than most of these people.

Of course, not spending time of Facebook frees up a lot of time for socializing. ;)

Lanie
02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I have zero Facebook friends and no profile. Yet I seem to meet people for drinks, go out to lunch, or attend events with friends way more than some of my Facebook-obsessed colleagues. I mean, I'm more social in RL by a factor of 10 than most of these people.

Of course, not spending time of Facebook frees up a lot of time for socializing. ;)

Drinks? Lunch. I thought friendship reigned on farmville. lol.

Gingersnap
02-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Drinks? Lunch. I thought friendship reigned on farmville. lol.

I'd rather buy somebody lunch than give them a fake cow. But that's just me.

Lanie
02-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd rather buy somebody lunch than give them a fake cow. But that's just me.

Cool. Take me to Hunan. :D

enslaved1
02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I randomly remember an episode of Rosanne where the mall was closing the diner inside that Rosanne was working at. As the employees enjoyed a bottle of sparkling cider :rolleyes: they proposed a toast, and one of them, not sure which one off the top of my head said "We're not in the parking lot watching it burn to the ground, but this is still pretty good." Lots of laughs. What's the difference between this and the offending facebook post? People have got to learn to lighten up.

fettpett
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
this is why you put your privacy setting up as high as possible, that why your bosses can't see the stupid shit that you're likely to put on there.

amazes me what people will post...many are idiots

Space Gravy
02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I can understand her not wanting to go back to work (and, hey! She got her wish, right?). I do think it's pretty nasty to want the building to "burn down with everyone in it". Now she has a good long time to think about what words mean, and how to express herself better. :)

Also, good luck to her finding her next job with that skeleton in her closet.

noonwitch
02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Not unless someone is paying you to put in writing. Then, with some name changes, it's fiction.

I'm pretty sure that works for Stephen King.

megimoo
02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
People need to process the fact that the Internet is a quasi-public arena unless you take pains to conceal your interactions from others.

Even then, if you post something inflammatory on a site, behind the security wall, you still run the risk of an interested party seeing it, copying it, and passing it along for amusement or maliciousness.

Playing around on the Internet is like going to a huge block party. Sure, you can drink too much and feel up one of neighbors without too much trouble but if someone wants to get you, you can be sure your activity will be gleefully reported to your spouse along with any relevant pix.

If someone with a real evil hatred for another chose to they could assume their identity and post actual pictures doctored by photoshop and falsified personal details on a day by day basis....It takes a real unstable anger and a profound hatred but it can be done.

Who knows if some critter you insulted by intent or accident harbors a strong enough desire to hunt you down for revenge? Given the human condition and given statictics quite a number of those with whom we interact on the net have ongoing emotional problems with some bordering on the the DSM's definition of mental illness.

They could establish a false reputation and a corupt persona on facebook for the person they hate and as long as that person was unaware of the ploy they would endup with a lifetime of social stigmata and rejections .Once something is posted either a picture or written word it has a way of never going away.
Somewhere, somehow, someone always has a copy !