PDA

View Full Version : Another Triumph for the Greens

bijou
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
My dishwasher is the Bosch SHE58Cóan amazing machine. Stainless-steel front, concealed controls, six cycles to choose from. The manual runs a brisk 63 pages. When we got the Bosch, I read it cover to cover, highlighting and annotating as I went, marking the manufacturerís preferred method of arranging dishes and the proper way to sit utensils in the dedicated wash basket. I took some pains to relay this information to my wife, though it did not please her as much as I imagined it would.

At first, my Bosch was wonderful. Quiet as a windís whisper, the dishes were so clean you could eat off of them. But a few months ago I started noticing problems. A fork would come out with food between the tines; a glass would have bits of grime stuck to the bottom. Surely this was a fluke? Alas, no. My dishwasher no longer shines. What went wrong?

It so happens that in the last six months, a lot of people have suddenly discovered their dishwashers donít work as well as they used to. The problem, though, isnít the dishwashers. Itís the soap. Last July, acceding to pressure from environmentalists, Americaís dishwasher detergent manufacturers decided to change their formulas. And the new detergents stink.

One of the key ingredients in dish detergent is (or was) phosphorus. Phosphorus is a sociable element, bonding easily and well with others. In detergent, it strips food and grease off dirty dishes and breaks down calcium-based stains. It also keeps the dirt suspended in water, so it canít reattach to dishes. Best of all, it prevents the washed-away grime and minerals from gumming up the inner-workings of your dishwasher. Traditionally, phosphorus was loaded into dish detergent in the form of phosphates, which are compounds of phosphorus bonded to oxygen. (PO4 if youíre keeping score at home.) Prior to last July, most detergents were around 8 percent elemental phosphorus. Now theyíre less than 0.5 percent phosphorus. ...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/another-triumph-greens_536862.html

fettpett
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I've noticed this...and it sucks ass....

Gingersnap
02-14-2011, 10:38 AM
The ban itself, it turns out, has helped the river very little. A year after it went into effect, supporters conveniently forgot their promises of reductions in the 15 percent to 20 percent range and trumpeted news that phosphorus flowing into the cityís water-treatment plant had declined by 10.7 percent, to just 181 pounds per day. Buried in the accounts was a remark by the plantís manager admitting that because the new phosphorus filtration system was so efficient, nearly all of the in-flowing phosphorus was getting filtered out anyway. So the reduction of phosphorus actually making it into the river as a result of the detergent ban is much, much smaller. Still, he chirped, ďAny phosphorus reduction you can see there is going to have benefit to the river.Ē

That was the idea, anyway. Last month the University of Washington released a study suggesting that some of the phosphorus being discharged into the Spokane River never actually worked as fertilizer for algae to begin with. It seems that not all phosphorus is alike. Some of the effluents making their way into the river contained phosphorus in complex molecular forms which are not bioavailable. Algae lack the enzymes necessary to break down this phosphorus, meaning it is essentially harmless. The study was a useful reminder that all science is settled. Until itís not.

:rolleyes:

Apache
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
:rolleyes::cool:

Apache
02-14-2011, 11:16 AM
The Green movement is wrong on so many things that it is a shame they are even listened to anymore...

Starbuck
02-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I love The Weekly Standard. Recommend it heartily to everyone with enough of a mind to read it.

NJCardFan
02-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Everything the environmental wackos want is nothing short of economic handcuffing. What they want has little to no impact on the environment. Electric cars, their #1 meme, will do nothing but cause a mess in the energy department considering the demand for electricity will go up. Not to mention that those hybrids and electric cars cost in excess of $40,000. My question is, why do these companies kowtow to them all the time?

Madisonian
02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Everything the environmental wackos want is nothing short of economic handcuffing. What they want has little to no impact on the environment. Electric cars, their #1 meme, will do nothing but cause a mess in the energy department considering the demand for electricity will go up. Not to mention that those hybrids and electric cars cost in excess of $40,000. My question is, why do these companies kowtow to them all the time?
FDA, OSHA, NHSTC, EPA, FMVHSS...
An alphabet on federal agancies that have been given the power to shut down any company they don't like for any reason they deem "necessary and proper".

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
You can buy the phosphates and add them yourself.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=912197&Ntt=912197&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112354&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Add 1/3 cup to a regular box of cascade.

http://www.appliance.net/2010/states-ban-phosphate-laden-dishwasher-soap-1988

megimoo
02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
You can buy the phosphates and add them yourself.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=912197&Ntt=912197&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112354&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Add 1/3 cup to a regular box of cascade.

http://www.appliance.net/2010/states-ban-phosphate-laden-dishwasher-soap-1988
I douibt it's available in the U.K. ?

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Do you live in the you kay?:confused:

bijou
02-14-2011, 02:41 PM

We can buy phosphate, but then we can also buy detergents that clean things too. :D

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
We can buy phosphate, but then we can also buy detergents that clean things too. :D

We will become smelly, like the French!:eek:

fettpett
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
We will become smelly, like the French!:eek:

your a piggy...what do you need to "smell good" for?

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
your a piggy...what do you need to "smell good" for?

Dinner?:eek:

fettpett
02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Dinner?:eek:

umm...maybe :D

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/6s/glazed-ham-apricots-fb.jpg