PDA

View Full Version : Giffords' Recovery

Calypso Jones
02-14-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/14/us/14giffords.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

I'm sorry but this does not look good to me. YET, you see the media pushing this story as if she is going to return to the house and WORSE the SENATE. NO WAY. I don't think she's going to be capable. And i'm just sorry as i can be, but this requires someone to put in another rep since she is incapacitate. Sorry, But thems' the breaks.

Phillygirl
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree that she can not finish out her term, but I do think the progress is good news. It sounds like she's a fighter and willing to do the hard work that the recovery entails, and I wish her well with that.

NJCardFan
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
It's not impossible for someone shot in the head to recover fully. But it takes time. Lots of time.

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I think the point being made in the OP is that it is time to make arrangements to fill her seat.

NJCardFan
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the point being made in the OP is that it is time to make arrangements to fill her seat.

That should be a given.

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
That should be a given.

It should but it would not be the first time the Democrats have had a non functioning representative in office for a long period, to avoid chancing a loss.

NJCardFan
02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
It should but it would not be the first time the Democrats have had a non functioning representative in office for a long period, to avoid chancing a loss.

It doesn't matter. Her vote is insignificant either way right now.

Calypso Jones
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
is it insignificant?? couldn't she like, phone it in?

noonwitch
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
On the Today show this morning they were talking about how she was able to identify a photo of President Bush, which I think is kind of funny. The healing powers of W.

lacarnut
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I think Repubs should run away from this issue like a hot potato. Democrats will politize it and make Repubs look insensitive. Hell, we could get rid of over half of those in the legislature, over half in the Executive branch and over half in the judicial branch and have a functioning government. Gifford may not be able to return but so what. Leave the position open till 2012 out of respect for her, her family and constituents.

Apache
02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
is it insignificant?? couldn't she like, phone it in?

Being as her main focus is on recovery and recooperation, do you really think she has he time or strength to read all the crap congress puts out and make an informed decision?

Oh wait! Its congress they don't do that anyway....

She'll fit right back in no problem...

Phillygirl
02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
On the Today show this morning they were talking about how she was able to identify a photo of President Bush, which I think is kind of funny. The healing powers of W.

Sounds like she couldn't identify one of Obama. Perhaps the short term memory is pretty well affected.

Apache
02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
I think Repubs should run away from this issue like a hot potato. Democrats will politize it and make Repubs look insensitive. Hell, we could get rid of over half of those in the legislature, over half in the Executive branch and over half in the judicial branch and have a functioning government. Gifford may not be able to return but so what. Leave the position open till 2012 out of respect for her, her family and constituents.

It's not like they were being represented in the frst place...;)

fettpett
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
it will probably take most of her term before she gets well enough to take on her duties. no matter how great a recovery she is having right now, she could have a set back 6 months from now, or she could end up with a blood clot that she could stroke on. one never knows

Apache
02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
it will probably take most of her term before she gets well enough to take on her duties. no matter how great a recovery she is having right now, she could have a set back 6 months from now, or she could end up with a blood clot that she could stroke on. one never knows

The Dems won't let her seat go... The people in her district go without representation in the House, no skin off their noses right?

lacarnut
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
It's not like they were being represented in the frst place...;)

You could say that about most Repub Congress critters also.

fettpett
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
The Dems won't let her seat go... The people in her district go without representation in the House, no skin off their noses right?

ah, but Brewer may be able to to do regardless...whether she does or not is a different story

noonwitch
02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Sounds like she couldn't identify one of Obama. Perhaps the short term memory is pretty well affected.

No, they were doing a basic cognitive test and put out 3 pictures-one of Bush, one of Obama and one of George Washington. She picked up the Bush photo and identified him before they asked her to identify any of them. Her husband was interviewed and he was really happy with her progress, but seemed more concerned that she was trying to do too much too early.

lacarnut
02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I just do not see any emergency to replace her at this time. My main concern is that she gets well. Seriously, her absence is not a game breaker in any way, shape or form.

Calypso Jones
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
my mother played those games after her stroke. Says something about her capacity to understand what the test was about when she quickly picks up a picture she recognizes. Slick true. But slick enough to be a lawmaker. I think not. Aren't we trying to rid ourselves of those?

Phillygirl
02-14-2011, 04:05 PM
No, they were doing a basic cognitive test and put out 3 pictures-one of Bush, one of Obama and one of George Washington. She picked up the Bush photo and identified him before they asked her to identify any of them. Her husband was interviewed and he was really happy with her progress, but seemed more concerned that she was trying to do too much too early.

That's good. I thought maybe she was having difficulty with the more recent President. Interesting that Bush came to mind immediately, rather than the other two. I'm sure there's a reason they picked those three, time wise and knowledge wise. In any event, it is good news and shows some significant developments from a cognitive standpoint.

Calypso Jones
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
did anyone read the part about communication skills and personality changes.

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
did anyone read the part about communication skills and personality changes.

We are over looking the possibility that they may have repaired more than the damage caused by the bullet, she may be a Republican now.

fettpett
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
We are over looking the possibility that they may have repaired more than the damage caused by the bullet, she may be a Republican now.

she may return to being a Republican :p

Articulate_Ape
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM

"A" non-functioning representative? That pretty much describes all Dem representatives doesn't it, Rock?

Calypso Jones
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
yeah. I really don't get all this democrat concern for Ms. Giffords seeing as she WAS a republican/Rino before she became a democrat. and i might have just provided my own answer with the rino reference.

Kay
02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
If they left Robert Byrd in while he was in and out of the hospital in his last years
and the 100 year old Strom Thurman who couldn't possibly have really known
what was going on in this decade, then I don't see why not a woman with a hole
through the brain. They also left that one Kennedy in office after he rammed through
a parking barricade then hid out in rehab for months on end.

I don't see Gifford as any more brain damaged than the rest of them.
They (almost) all need to be replaced with real people who are fully functional.