PDA

View Full Version : "Liberals Scream 'Big Bird Will Die' if NPR's Federal Funds Cut ."

megimoo
02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
The head of National Public Radio on Monday warned House Republicans against zeroing out federal funding for public broadcasting, arguing that cutting off the annual subsidy could shut down some or all of the 900 public radio stations around the country.

The House Appropriations Committee last week unveiled its budget for the remainder of fiscal year 2011, which ends Sept. 30. It included nothing for NPR, which has been in the sights of Republicans who say the network's liberal agenda silences any other points of view. Opponents cited the firing of Fox News Channel contributor Juan Williams last fall as an example of its intolerance.

But NPR CEO and President Vivian Schiller warned that radio stations in rural and underserved areas offer "more than 38 million Americans with free over-the-air programming they can't find anywhere else."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/14/groups-fight-republican-budget-zeroes-npr-funding/?test=latestnews

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Now I know why Wei Wei was going nuts today.

djones520
02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
What does Big Bird have to do with NPR? :confused:

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
What does Big Bird have to do with NPR? :confused:

I think the funding for both TV and radio come from the same pool.

fettpett
02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't shed a tear....

Novaheart
02-14-2011, 08:31 PM
It would be nice if regular TV had noncommericals like Public Television.

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 08:37 PM

They have commercials but they call them partners instead of sponsors.

NJCardFan
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM

I'd rather have regular commercials then watching something interesting only to have it interrupted for 30 minutes for a cash drive.

Madisonian
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Revenue at Sesame Workshop, a nonprofit
educational organization, increased 4 percent, to $96 million, last year, primarily because
of new income from international licensing.

Source (http://cecpartners.com/articles/Brand%20Expansion/Sesame%20Street%20Goes%20Global%2012-12-05.pdf)

This was in 2005. I am sure it is over $100 million a year by now. Big Bird can leave the nest and go to commercial TV.

The only other questions would be: Barbecue, extra crispy or original recipe.

Novaheart
02-14-2011, 08:53 PM
They have commercials but they call them partners instead of sponsors.

I just like a nice even well behaved sound track.

"Family Guy is brought to you by McDonalds.... home of the original breakfast sandwich." is so much easier on the ears than some tap dancing screaming commercial.

Why don't regular stations have standards?

Rockntractor
02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I just like a nice even well behaved sound track.

"Family Guy is brought to you by McDonalds.... home of the original breakfast sandwich." is so much easier on the ears than some tap dancing screaming commercial.

Why don't regular stations have standards?

Regular stations aren't sucking the government tittie, they are for profit organizations.

AmPat
02-14-2011, 09:18 PM
De-fund it entirely and immediately. The federal government has no business in the media business; especially if that media is biased toward liberal, big govt interests using Conservative taxpayer dollars.

PoliCon
02-14-2011, 09:24 PM
But NPR CEO and President Vivian Schiller warned that radio stations in rural and underserved areas offer "more than 38 million Americans with free over-the-air programming they can't find anywhere else." I guess they'll have to pony up now and start paying. :eek: how aweful!

AmPat
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
But NPR CEO and President Vivian Schiller warned that radio stations in rural and underserved areas offer "more than 38 million Americans with free over-the-air programming they can't find anywhere else."

Probably a good reason why.

If it is worthy programming, it will find an audience and a home with sponsors. Otherwise, good riddance.

lacarnut
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
According to 2007 IRS tax returns, the President of NPR rec. over $600,000, the next 5 highest salaries were over $300,000 and 15 vice presidents rec. 160K to 260K. Sounds like they are eating high off the hog off at taxpayers expense.

fettpett
02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I guess they'll have to pony up now and start paying. :eek: how aweful!

is the dude smoking crack? I mean it's not like over the air broadcasting COSTS MONEY! what a moron.... "we cant' get rid of Public Broadcast because millions wont have TV".....yeah...Tell that to ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS....I'm sure they would love to charge for their content like cable networks get too.

fettpett
02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
According to 2007 IRS tax returns, the President of NPR rec. over $600,000, the next 5 highest salaries were over $300,000 and 15 vice presidents rec. 160K to 260K. Sounds like they are eating high off the hog off at taxpayers expense.

on the bright side they are "rich" and will be taxed out the ass with the rest of the "wealthy" in the US by this dumbass