PDA

View Full Version : CBS News' Lara Logan Sexually Assaulted During Egypt Protests

ralph wiggum
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/02/15/Lara_Logan_244x183.jpg

On Friday February 11, the day Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

There will be no further comment from CBS News and Correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time.

LINK (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/15/60minutes/main20032070.shtml)

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 04:51 PM
well surprise surprise. I'm sure they'll be called...pro-mubarak rioters. heh?

Chuck58
02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Damned shame. I seldom watch CBS news, but have seen her and give her credit for having guts to go some of the places she's been.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
This can't be true, Obama said this was a peaceful demonstration!

megimoo
02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/02/15/Lara_Logan_244x183.jpg

On Friday February 11, the day Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

There will be no further comment from CBS News and Correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time.

LINK (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/15/60minutes/main20032070.shtml)

These news people are out of their mind.These people are animals in a rage and white American woman are particularly vulnerable to this raging mob ,She extremely fortunate to be alive !

fettpett
02-15-2011, 05:01 PM
there really was not surprise that this could happen. She's a hot white woman, tempers and emotions spiking....bound to happen

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Damned shame. I seldom watch CBS news, but have seen her and give her credit for having guts to go some of the places she's been.

That's not guts. THat pure unadulterated stupidity and anything for the cause. These are not isolated incidents. Western women have been enduring this for QUITE awhile and it is kept very quiet. Not PC you know.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
there really was not surprise that this could happen. She's a hot white woman, tempers and emotions spiking....bound to happen

Only with uncontrollable animals.

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM

all she has to be is western. This is not necessarily temper and emotion spiking. This is common for muslims. They have a different way of living, thinking...I think their brains are wired differently. I think they've figured us out, but the majority of people in the west do not have the capacity of understanding how they think. It's just too weird.

lacarnut
02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Little liberal Lara might have a different view of those peace loving Muslims and how they treat women after the rough treatment she received. I doubt it though.

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
that's right. Both she and CBS are 'requesting their privacy' and 'will not comment' now. Well. I expect withhin 20 years or less, we'll be wearing the burqa and you guys will be going to prayer service for your 5 a day butt in the air time.

megimoo
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Little liberal Lara might have a different view of those peace loving Muslims and how they treat women after the rough treatment she received. I doubt it though.I would imagine that she was raped by a number of these animals .They would have left her unclothed in the street when they had their fill .Her camera crew would finally be able to take her away from the mob bleeding and partially naked.She should sue the news network that sent her into that hell hole !

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Won't it be rather intolerant to blame this on muslims...especially the 'freedom loving' ones.:D Somehow, let's see if we can lay this at Bush's doorstep. or the Tea Party.

megimoo
02-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Won't it be rather intolerant to blame this on muslims...especially the 'freedom loving' ones.:D Somehow, let's see if we can lay this at Bush's doorstep. or the Tea Party.

Yes,yes I see it now.How intollorent of me to accuse these innocent victims of her aggressive sexual provocations !

AmPat
02-15-2011, 07:13 PM
These were O Blah Blha's peeps, this can't be true.:eek:

Calypso Jones
02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes,yes I see it now.How intollorent of me to accuse these innocent victims of her aggressive sexual provocations !

she's dammed lucky they didn't stone her. That's probably why she left so hurriedly the next morning.

AmPat
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I would imagine that she was raped by a number of these animals .They would have left her unclothed in the street when they had their fill .Her camera crew would finally be able to take her away from the mob bleeding and partially naked.She should sue the news network that sent her into that hell hole !

She could except that this was a forseeable event. She went into a muslim country that was on the verge of anarchy, in the middle of a riot, as a western dressed female.

I'm guessing that she is a bleeding heart liberal sans common sense, that thought her ideology would make her exempt from attacks of this sort. :cool:

megimoo
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
she's dammed lucky they didn't stone her. That's probably why she left so hurriedly the next morning.
I would expect she is worried about disease and pregnancy.Who knows what diseases these Arab critters have from screwing sheep and goats !

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I would expect she is worried about disease and pregnancy.Who knows what diseases these Arab critters have from screwing sheep and goats !

The religion of piece.

Phillygirl
02-15-2011, 07:41 PM
She could except that this was a forseeable event. She went into a muslim country that was on the verge of anarchy, in the middle of a riot, as a western dressed female.

I'm guessing that she is a bleeding heart liberal sans common sense, that thought her ideology would make her exempt from attacks of this sort. :cool:

She was doing her job. Sometimes jobs mean some risks. I'm not going to rhetorically stone her because some assholes were what they are. I give her props for having some chutzpah to go to places like that. I wouldn't.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
She was doing her job. Sometimes jobs mean some risks. I'm not going to rhetorically stone her because some assholes were what they are. I give her props for having some chutzpah to go to places like that. I wouldn't.

The only part I don't like on our end is that CBS didn't issue a condemnation of the act.

Phillygirl
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
The only part I don't like on our end is that CBS didn't issue a condemnation of the act.

That's because Blackwater wasn't mentioned...yet.

Madisonian
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
well surprise surprise. I'm sure they'll be called...pro-mubarak rioters. heh?

Over at the DUmpster they are.
Of course the pro-Mubarak Islamic sharia followers are so much worse than the anti-Mubarak Islamic sharia followers.

AmPat
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM

No kidding. I was responding to the lawsuit comment. She was doing her job in a known risky place known to be hostile to westerners and women. Further, she was doing it in a risky place at an elevated risky time when chaos was the reality. That doesn't equate to bravery to me. I call that careless and stupid.:cool:

Phillygirl
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
No kidding. I was responding to the lawsuit comment. She was doing her job in a known risky place known to be hostile to westerners and women. Further, she was doing it in a risky place at an elevated risky time when chaos was the reality. That doesn't equate to bravery to me. I call that careless and stupid.:cool:

Ahh, I missed the lawsuit comment. Yeah, I'm not in favor of a lawsuit. While it's risky, someone has to do it (again, not me). I still can respect legitimate journalists going after the story, knowing that thee is a certain amount of risks involved.

I'm not certain how she got separated from her crew. That's probably where there was a major foul up and they didn't take some precautions that they probably should have.

fettpett
02-15-2011, 08:51 PM
she's probably signed an agreement that prevents her or her family from filing suit against CBS for going into those kind of situations

This reminds me of the guy that Rush was playing today, he interviewed 2 "protesters" asking them what they thought about Obassiah's support of them...they both said "what has he done for us...this is our thing without outside help"

PoliCon
02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

Now see I read that story and my first though was: political correctness and islam do not mix.

My second though was: Does this mean that CBS has to kill her now to protect their honour?

PoliCon
02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
The religion of piece.

Clearly they got confused and though that allah had delivered one of their virgins early . . .

PoliCon
02-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Well I'm sure that that will be forthcoming. Then they will drag her out and kill her for sullying the networks honour.

SaintLouieWoman
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
It's unbelievable that CBS won't take a stand against this. Those peace loving folks just continue to amaze. :rolleyes:

Tonight saw one of the Code Pink lunatics on Hannity. She's saying that she would take some of those "cleared" Guantanamo prisoners into her home in Berkeley, which says they will be a city to accept them. Maybe she should research a bit more on what happened to Lara Logan. But her best defense is she's the opposite of a "hot babe". Maybe they will leave her alone.

These libs will never learn.

Kay
02-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Well. I expect withhin 20 years or less, we'll be wearing the burqa and you guys will be going to prayer service for your 5 a day butt in the air time.

Not this old broad.
I'll be dead first before you see me in a burqa.

Apocalypse
02-15-2011, 10:24 PM
For a second here I thought I was on Democratic Underground, and not at Conservative Underground reading the replies in this thread.

Sickening to see so many in this thread who feel so little for what happened to this person, regardless of political views.

I would expect some of this from those over at the DUmp had this happened to say Laura Ingraham. But I had thought we were above this shit.

Kay
02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
CBS correspondent Lara Logan
.......was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault

The best way to prevent this sort of thing from happening
to female correspondents in the future is to send in the right
kind of woman for the job. Someone more like.........

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcvFXacCDb5PIqMQOdhE48T7f_7bHV-uRwGpjczi6xdHyn5pKS

No chance of rape there.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
The best way to prevent this sort of thing from happening
to female correspondents in the future is to send in the right
kind of woman for the job. Someone more like.........

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcvFXacCDb5PIqMQOdhE48T7f_7bHV-uRwGpjczi6xdHyn5pKS

No chance of rape there.

She might shag a protester!

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 10:32 PM
For a second here I thought I was on Democratic Underground, and not at Conservative Underground reading the replies in this thread.

Sickening to see so many in this thread who feel so little for what happened to this person, regardless of political views.

I would expect some of this from those over at the DUmp had this happened to say Laura Ingraham. But I had thought we were above this shit.

That happens when you read what isn't said.

PoliCon
02-15-2011, 10:40 PM

I don't see anyone saying she deserved it or any such thing. :confused:

As far as I read - the comments are focused on the idiocy that placed her in harms way in the fist place and what exactly the appropriate response to such a happening truly is.

Calypso Jones
02-16-2011, 01:04 AM

not this risk. How long is the media and a lot of us on the left going to continue to bury our heads in the sand and not recognize the truth of the matter about the Muslim threat? There's a lot of this going on and it is ONLY going to get worse seeing as muslims are a protected class.

This woman came so close to death. I imagine she was at least partially if not totally naked, bleeding, bloodied. I don't care to think of her condition and what she went thru. The truth of the matter will be if she continues to lie to the public.

lacarnut
02-16-2011, 01:22 AM
not this risk. How long is the media and a lot of us on the left going to continue to bury our heads in the sand and not recognize the truth of the matter about the Muslim threat? There's a lot of this going on and it is ONLY going to get worse seeing as muslims are a protected class.

This woman came so close to death. I imagine she was at least partially if not totally naked, bleeding, bloodied. I don't care to think of her condition and what she went thru. The truth of the matter will be if she continues to lie to the public.

I doubt that we will ever know. Muzzies treat their women like shit. Where is the outrage of the NOW crowd.

megimoo
02-16-2011, 01:52 AM
I doubt that we will ever know. Muzzies treat their women like shit. Where is the outrage of the NOW crowd.

She's South African and is married and has a child.She's an old hand at front line news coverage from Iraq to Afghanistan but never in a crowd of raging American hating Muslims .From what those animals did to her I'm sure she will have some emotional scars.

The CBS news crew are supposed to have adequate security to prevent this sort of thing from happening but they were overwhelmed by the mob....CBS knew that the Muslims hate American news crews from what happened to Cooper,Couric and Williams and yet they stuck her in the brunt of the crowds to gather their hatred and wild emotions ...I'm sure CBS has their asses covered from law suits but sure as hell should should give it a try.

megimoo
02-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I doubt that we will ever know. Muzzies treat their women like shit. Where is the outrage of the NOW crowd.NOW lost all credibility and went out of business with the Clinton White House B.J 'S . they couldn't bash their hero over prostituting a young female star struck intern in the white house could they ?

PoliCon
02-16-2011, 02:32 AM

It's is something from which you never fully recover.

Speedy
02-16-2011, 04:22 AM
I doubt she will change her ideology one bit. Even after the horror she went through, she will not see these pieces of shit as anything else than the down trodden masses she has been told they are. She will instead blame Bush or the Republican Majority in the house or Sarah Palin or the Tea Party. She will refuse to accept that some human beings are just less human than others.

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I doubt she will change her ideology one bit. Even after the horror she went through, she will not see these pieces of shit as anything else than the down trodden masses she has been told they are. She will instead blame Bush or the Republican Majority in the house or Sarah Palin or the Tea Party. She will refuse to accept that some human beings are just less human than others.

There is a story in today's Sarasota rag (published by the NY Times) about a nun in Manatee County, immediately north of Sarasota County, who was beaten by a homeless man that she had been trying to help. Apparently he was banned by her staff from a facility she has to help the poor and downtrodden with food and other help. He was turned away from the office so went to the trailer where she lives. He beat her severely and she's now in an assisted living facility to recover, after her release from the hospital.

The nun is 80 years old and about 5 feet tall. She says that she forgives him. The nuns from her order are now trying to get her to retire to a retirement center for nuns up north.

There should be a special place for people like that guy. :mad:

noonwitch
02-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Pretty much the way I see it.

I also don't blame all the protestors for the acts of some of them. It's never safe to be a woman in the midst of social unrest. Or a "my team lost" or " my team won" riot.

Calypso Jones
02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
exactly. This is what i mean. Some people, women in particular just don't get it. THIS IS the general mind set of arab men.

AmPat
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Ahh, I missed the lawsuit comment. Yeah, I'm not in favor of a lawsuit. While it's risky, someone has to do it (again, not me). I still can respect legitimate journalists going after the story, knowing that thee is a certain amount of risks involved.

I'm not certain how she got separated from her crew. That's probably where there was a major foul up and they didn't take some precautions that they probably should have.

It's in the story. Not only foreseeable, but preventable. Their "security? Ha. The Egyptian army didn't have control over this crowd. Was CBS so arrogant as to presume their security was superior to the Egyptian army? The news people (notice I avoided the misused "journalist" label?), are not ignorant of the nature of certain cultures and mob mentality. She was stupid and careless.

a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved
Predictable, preventable, unnecessary.:cool:

AmPat
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM

You err. I don't enjoy reading about this and I'm concerned for her health. Too bad this happened but the entire episode could have easily been avoided. Her ideology most likely blinded her to the reality of the situation. This isn't a difficult conclusion as liberals in general live in a fantasy world and not reality.

namvet
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM

link (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/15/60minutes/main20032070.shtml)

hope she didn't get knocked up. I'd have that bastard aborted on the spot. they're nothing but incest bred mongoloid bastard animals anyway

Madisonian
02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
There is a story in today's Sarasota rag (published by the NY Times) about a nun in Manatee County, immediately north of Sarasota County, who was beaten by a homeless man that she had been trying to help. Apparently he was banned by her staff from a facility she has to help the poor and downtrodden with food and other help. He was turned away from the office so went to the trailer where she lives. He beat her severely and she's now in an assisted living facility to recover, after her release from the hospital.

The nun is 80 years old and about 5 feet tall. She says that she forgives him. The nuns from her order are now trying to get her to retire to a retirement center for nuns up north.

A nun beaten by a homeless man she was trying to help?
Obviously this poor guy has been beaten down by the man and those worthless Christians didn't care.

There is a special place for people like this... DU.:D

lacarnut
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM

I call her stupid along with her employer for sending her over there and putting her in harms way. I hate to break it to you but a man is better at some jobs than women. And before you get your panties in a wad, I think the opposite is true. This brutal attack will probably affect her the rest of her life, and she will probably require psychiatric care. Not no but hell no, do I give her props.

Odysseus
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Too easy. They drink a lot of tea in Egypt...

No, they only stone women after they've been raped.

Now see I read that story and my first though was: political correctness and islam do not mix.

My second though was: Does this mean that CBS has to kill her now to protect their honour?
CBS hasn't had even the semblance of honor since the Dan Rather forgery story. However, if she does change her attitude towards Islam, the network will shut her up in purdah.

There is, if Dante is correct. I suppose that the nun is obligated to forgive him in the spiritual sense, in that his soul may someday be redeemed by repentence, but the state has no such obligation.

You err. I don't enjoy reading about this and I'm concerned for her health. Too bad this happened but the entire episode could have easily been avoided. Her ideology most likely blinded her to the reality of the situation. This isn't a difficult conclusion as liberals in general live in a fantasy world and not reality.

That's about as good a summary as there is. Years ago, I dated a woman who was working on her masters in Egyptian art. She was a redhead with blue eyes, and the first time that she stepped out in public in Cairo, a mob followed her down the street. It wasn't violent, they just had never seen anyone who looked like her before, and the novelty shocked them. After the first time, she started wearing a headscarf and sunglasses whenever she went out. This is what the army refers to as "cultural awareness". This was back in the late 80s, when the Muslim Brotherhood had been violently suppressed, and Islamist crazyness was at a minimum. The rise of Islamist movements has made it even more dangerous for a western woman to go out without massive protection. The Qur'an, Hadiths and Sunnah explicitly state that infidel women are fair game, and have no right to object to anything that a Muslim does to them, as they are prizes for jihadis. This is why 70% of the rapes in Sweden are committed by Muslims, who account for far less of the population. Naturally, the authorities remain committed to diversity. :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I call her stupid along with her employer for sending her over there and putting her in harms way. I hate to break it to you but a man is better at some jobs than women. And before you get your panties in a wad, I think the opposite is true. This brutal attack will probably affect her the rest of her life, and she will probably require psychiatric care. Not no but hell no, do I give her props.

I realized early on in my sales career that I could sell office equipment as well as the guys. But I was realistic. My boss used to tell me to visit the Federal Courts in E St Louis, Illinois. I always said "hell no". He said the guys go there. I replied that they could have the account. I valued my safety.

Ditto with the city jails. When I had equipment installed at the medium security prison, I requested the young, attractive female trainer NOT be sent to train. I always had a male service tech (or techs) go. A woman in the office had tipped me off that to get where the equipment was located, you would have to walk by the general jail population, who would do a lot of hooting and making obscene gestures. I would not put her in a situation that I wouldn't place myself in.

As much as I believe in equal pay for equal work, there are just some things that guys do better and conversely, some that women can do better. I survived almost 30 years of selling to facilities in some dubious locations by being smart and cautious. Lara Logan should have done the same. She should have talked back to 'the man"---CBS. They were irresponsible putting her in harm's way.

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Too easy. They drink a lot of tea in Egypt...

There is, if Dante is correct. I suppose that the nun is obligated to forgive him in the spiritual sense, in that his soul may someday be redeemed by repentence, but the state has no such obligation.

:rolleyes:

They still haven't caught him. He was riding a bike. I'm not sure about the Manatee County cops, but the Sarasota cops can be pretty rough. He might not look good if he "resists arrest".

I was wrong---she's 81, not 80. I hope they catch him soon, such a good guy, beating up a really old nun and stealing from the poor. He indeed should go to Dante's special place.

Odysseus
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
As much as I believe in equal pay for equal work, there are just some things that guys do better and conversely, some that women can do better. I survived almost 30 years of selling to facilities in some dubious locations by being smart and cautious. Lara Logan should have done the same. She should have talked back to 'the man"---CBS. They were irresponsible putting her in harm's way.
But she was also stupid enough to go, which means that she either really didn't understand the threat, or she was such a PC tool that it didn't occur to her that Egyptian men just might treat an obviously western blonde in tight jeans and a low-cut top (by Egyptian standards) the way that they treat local women who adverstise their attactiveness.

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
But she was also stupid enough to go, which means that she either really didn't understand the threat, or she was such a PC tool that it didn't occur to her that Egyptian men just might treat an obviously western blonde in tight jeans and a low-cut top (by Egyptian standards) the way that they treat local women who adverstise their attactiveness.

Or she was very ambitious, and thought going to Egypt would be her big opportunity. I know how difficult it is to do a man's job in a man's world. I've seen many a young woman get into those provacative (though still semi-businesslike) outfits and try to use sex to sell vs sell with their brains the business product that they should be concentrating on. That's why after almost 30 years I was still outselling the pretty little things that some of the companies were throwing at the customers.

Do I know it's crass how women are often used in both media and business? Of course. I just never would play the game, even when I was one of those pretty little things. My concept was using my wits and talent, not the quick and easy way.

I've talked to many women in the military, particularly at Scott AFB, who have been stationed in the ME. They said without exception that they were extremely careful there in their dress and always went out in groups, usually with men accompanying them. It's hard for independent women to swallow their pride and concede, but in places like the ME it's necessary.

JB
02-16-2011, 07:10 PM
there are just some things that guys do better and conversely, some that women can do better. In the workplace? Like what?

Phillygirl
02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
It's in the story. Not only foreseeable, but preventable. Their "security? Ha. The Egyptian army didn't have control over this crowd. Was CBS so arrogant as to presume their security was superior to the Egyptian army? The news people (notice I avoided the misused "journalist" label?), are not ignorant of the nature of certain cultures and mob mentality. She was stupid and careless.

I'm not certain at what point the mob became so unbearable. Was there negligence on CBS' behalf? Absolutely. Recklessness? Perhaps. I view someone doing a legitimate job differently than some yahoo that is going over there to become a human shield. I've known plenty of good people who have put themselves in harms way for the benefit of others, men and women. The risk was definitely higher for a woman in this case, but I still will not condemn her for attempting to do her job. I don't know her politics, and don't really care to. I guess I should so that I can decide how vehemently I want to condemn her for not thinking of her own personal safety over what she apparently believed was a job to be done. I don't promote her to sainthood for this action and outcome, but I also don't paint her with a scarlet letter for having done so.

Predictable, preventable, unnecessary.:cool:

Probably, to varying degrees. But it's rare that I excoriate a victim of a gang rape. I certainly won't discount the possibility that it may be appropriate in some circumstances.

Phillygirl
02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
In the workplace? Like what?

Coffee.

Odysseus
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I've talked to many women in the military, particularly at Scott AFB, who have been stationed in the ME. They said without exception that they were extremely careful there in their dress and always went out in groups, usually with men accompanying them. It's hard for independent women to swallow their pride and concede, but in places like the ME it's necessary.
I had to brief cultural awareness to my unit before we went over. Trying to explain the sexual politics of a tribal society to a female major (and feminist) almost got me an EO complaint. I had to explain that I didn't approve of how things were done there, but that they were the way that they were for a reason, and that as weird and horrible as we found it, much of the backwards conduct towards women was enforced by the women, who are the ones who actually perform the genital mutilations and keep each other in line. It's a sick, sick place. Our female troops learned very quickly that they need to conduct themselves, if not submissively, at least modestly, around the LNs.

Probably, to varying degrees. But it's rare that I excoriate a victim of a gang rape. I certainly won't discount the possibility that it may be appropriate in some circumstances.
I don't want to blame the victim, but the fact is that Muslim men see western women as targets for abuse because it strikes at our culture. From an article on the sudden rise of rapes in Sweden, in 2005:

Western women are not so much regarded by most Muslims as individuals, but as "their women," the women who "belong" to hostile Infidels. They are booty, to be taken, just as the land of the Infidels someday will drop, it is believed, into Muslim hand. This is not mere crime, but ideologically-justified crime or rather, in Muslim eyes, attacks on Infidels scarcely qualify as crime. Western women are cheap and offensive. We Muslims are here, here to stay, and we have a right to take advantage of this situation. It is our view of the matter that should prevail. Western goods, like the land on which we now live, belong to Allah and to the best of men -- his Believers. Western women, too, essentially belong to us -- our future booty.
And, of course, the Muslim take on women who dress immodestly (i.e., normally, at least in the west, is that they are targets because they behave immorally:

Some Muslim immigrants admit their bias quite openly. An Islamic Mufti in Copenhagen sparked a political outcry after publicly declaring that women who refuse to wear headscarves are "asking for rape." Apparently, he's not the only one thinking this way. “It is not as wrong raping a Swedish girl as raping an Arab girl,” says Hamid. “The Swedish girl gets a lot of help afterwards, and she had probably fucked before, anyway. But the Arab girl will get problems with her family. For her, being raped is a source of shame. It is important that she retains her virginity until she marries.” It was no coincidence that it was a Swedish girl that was gang raped in Rissne – this becomes obvious from the discussion with Ali, Hamid, Abdallah and Richard. All four have disparaging views on Swedish girls, and think this attitude is common among young men with immigrant background. “It is far too easy to get a Swedish whore…… girl, I mean;” says Hamid, and laughs over his own choice of words. “Many immigrant boys have Swedish girlfriends when they are teenagers. But when they get married, they get a proper woman from their own culture who has never been with a boy. That’s what I am going to do. I don’t have too much respect for Swedish girls. I guess you can say they get fucked to pieces.”
Finally, there was this part, which was heartbreaking:

A group of Swedish teenage girls has designed a belt that requires two hands to remove and which they hope will deter would-be rapists. "It's like a reverse chastity belt," one of the creators, 19-year-old Nadja Björk, told AFP, meaning that the wearer is in control, instead of being controlled. Björk and one of her partners now plan to start a business to mass produce the belts and are currently in negotiations with potential partners. "But I'm not doing this for the money," she said. "I'm really passionate about stopping rape. I think it's terrible." In an online readers' poll from the newspaper Aftonbladet, 82% of the women expressed fear to go outside after dark. There are reports of rapes happening in broad daylight. 30 guests in a Swedish public bath watched as 17 girl was raped recently, and nobody did anything. The girl was first approached by 16-year-old boy. He and his friends followed her as she walked away to the grotto, and inside the grotto he got her blocked in the corner, ripped off her bikini and raped her, while his friend held her firm.

Coffee.
Okay, report for sensitivity training. :D

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I had to brief cultural awareness to my unit before we went over. Trying to explain the sexual politics of a tribal society to a female major (and feminist) almost got me an EO complaint. I had to explain that I didn't approve of how things were done there, but that they were the way that they were for a reason, and that as weird and horrible as we found it, much of the backwards conduct towards women was enforced by the women, who are the ones who actually perform the genital mutilations and keep each other in line. It's a sick, sick place. Our female troops learned very quickly that they need to conduct themselves, if not submissively, at least modestly, around the LNs.

I don't want to blame the victim, but the fact is that Muslim men see western women as targets for abuse because it strikes at our culture. From an article on the sudden rise of rapes in Sweden, in 2005:

And, of course, the Muslim take on women who dress immodestly (i.e., normally, at least in the west, is that they are targets because they behave immorally:

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=376288&postcount=7

Phillygirl
02-16-2011, 08:21 PM

I don't disagree with anything that is being said regarding Arab men from that area of the world. I've seen it here with those that have immigrated and even become U.S. citizens. There are other cultures that do that as well, although not quite to the same degree, generally.

My friend over there has gotten cursed out by old men in Pakistan for wearing "clackety shoes". These aren't high heels, merely a pair of shoes that have a hard sole so that they made noise while she was walking on the stone streets. One of her greatest joys over there is being on base so that she can remove the head scarf. One of her many interesting comments is that when she comes home she loves the feeling of invisibility. She can walk through a mall without being stared at. Sure, men here look, but for the most part they are not staring as though you were some playboy bunny in a thong (unless of course, you are a playboy bunny in a thong). There, even with a headscarf, no makeup, a tunic to her knees and pants and socks on, she is viewed as though she's a woman at the copier in one of those "bow chicka bow wow" movies...only there is also hatred in that look.

The concept of a woman working is also so foreign to her. She was asked numerous times if her father was dead and she had no brothers, therefore she had to work. When the answer was no, they lamented at how ashamed her father must be for her to be working.

It's a pretty sickening culture and there is nothing romantic or chivalrous about it. Some westerners have actually gone over there and married these Arab men, converting to the religion and the culture. While the women were born into it and have little choice in the matter, for a Western woman who knows the difference to accept and embrace it is disgusting.

And don't get me started on the 9 year old child brides. Makes me want to vomit.

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 08:27 PM
In the workplace? Like what?

I think women generally are more patient and often more literate, better with the usage of the English language. When I started in sales, there were few women in my field. By the time that I left, the female sales reps tended to outperform the men. When we had our president's club award trip, there were more male spouses than female spouses on the trips.

Kay
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to go work anywhere in the Middle East or in an Asian country.
I would not last long in either culture I'm afraid. And I don't want them over here in my culture.

namvet
02-16-2011, 11:01 PM
fox TV said today she's going back. must really want that promotion

megimoo
02-16-2011, 11:18 PM
fox TV said today she's going back. must really want that promotionNext time they'll throw her in a pit and stone her to death after they're done raping her.What a foolish,headstrong woman !...Is it really worth it to be at the 'top of the heap' reporting if it means your family and your life ?

Space Gravy
02-17-2011, 05:14 PM

That makes me question what really happened.

JB
02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
I think women generally are more patient and often more literate, better with the usage of the English language. When I started in sales, there were few women in my field. By the time that I left, the female sales reps tended to outperform the men. When we had our president's club award trip, there were more male spouses than female spouses on the trips.Because it happened in your office it doesn't mean women are generally better salesmen than men.

As far as the workplace is concerned I can't think of a single thing that women would be better at then men. However, there are many professions where the reverse is true.

PoliCon
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I think women generally are more patient and often more literate, better with the usage of the English language. When I started in sales, there were few women in my field. By the time that I left, the female sales reps tended to outperform the men. When we had our president's club award trip, there were more male spouses than female spouses on the trips.

forgive the bluntness - but sex appeal will have to be a factor in this - it's prolly a matter of great tata's as much as - if not more than that of great salesmanship.

Odysseus
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Because it happened in your office it doesn't mean women are generally better salesmen than men.

As far as the workplace is concerned I can't think of a single thing that women would be better at then men. However, there are many professions where the reverse is true.
There are a few. Women tend to be better with small children, so they make better teachers, nannies and even pediatricians. A woman is also likely to be better as an OB/GYN than a man. And, if they still had wetnurses, well, let's just say that I haven't met the man who can do that job. :D

She's just going to confront the mob for not calling or e-mailing the next day. :D

namvet
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
if she does go back she get's what she deserve's. has she given any interviews???

SaintLouieWoman
02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Because it happened in your office it doesn't mean women are generally better salesmen than men.

No use discussing this with someone close-minded to the idea that women and men can both be talented. I worked for some smaller companies and one large one---Xerox. It applied across the board. And not all the women were sexpots, but just good negotiators and exceedingly talented in follow-up on some exceedingly complex billing problems.

I had a female attorney who was one of the most feared attorneys in town and who did an excellent job. I don't think it was necessarily because she was male or female. She just was bright and forceful.

JB
02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
No use discussing this with someone close-minded to the idea that women and men can both be talented.LMAO. Are you putting thoughts in my head now?

Never did I say women or men can't both be talented. Never did I say if a woman outperformed a man it was due to her boobies.

You claimed that in the workplace there are jobs that women are better at than men. All I did was call you on this and ask for an example.

I can't think of an occupation where, generally speaking, a woman could do a better job than a man. However, I can think of several where a man will always do a better job than a woman.

Wei Wu Wei
02-19-2011, 01:22 AM
LMAO. Are you putting thoughts in my head now?

Never did I say women or men can't both be talented. Never did I say if a woman outperformed a man it was due to her boobies.

You claimed that in the workplace there are jobs that women are better at than men. All I did was call you on this and ask for an example.

I can't think of an occupation where, generally speaking, a woman could do a better job than a man. However, I can think of several where a man will always do a better job than a woman.

http://i.imgur.com/XhUtc.gif

Rockntractor
02-19-2011, 01:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XhUtc.gif

Okay so your occasional right. Juice Box can't help it.:rolleyes:

RobJohnson
02-19-2011, 02:53 AM

Good points.

I think women also make great teachers, nurses & doctors. Not that there are not a few good men out there doing the same jobs...but that is the exception, not the rule.

I just hired a pretty famous law firm in Las Vegas. I was very pleased that my attorney is a woman. She is awesome & actually cares.

Adam Wood
02-19-2011, 08:19 AM
By God, it's the taste of freedom and democracy! Hooray! CHANGE! OBAMA!!! WOOHOO!!!