PDA

View Full Version : General Petraeus To Quit As US Commander In Afghanistan

megimoo
02-15-2011, 06:06 PM
General David Petraeus, the most celebrated American soldier of his generation, is to leave his post as commander of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan. The Times can reveal that the Pentagon aims to replace General Petraeus, who was appointed less than eight months ago, by the end of the year. Sources have confirmed that the search for a new commander in Kabul is under way.

Remember that Petraeus took over last year from General McChrystal, whose Rolling Stone interview criticizing the President forced him to resign/be fired.

http://www.businessinsider.com/petraeus-out-2011-2

fettpett
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
probably got sick of the Bullshit form Washington

djones520
02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Wouldn't jump the gun on this to quick. I've seen no other stories, nor heard any talk about it.

fettpett
02-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm seeing reports that the Pentagon is denying that he's leaving

Kay
02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Gen. Petraeus should come home and run for President.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 09:55 PM
He is too good a man to work with Obama, I'm surprised he didn't quit a long time ago.

djones520
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
He is too good a man to work with Obama, I'm surprised he didn't quit a long time ago.

Service to your country comes first Rock.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Service to your country comes first Rock.

The problem is some men are so intent to do the right thing that having their hands tied is not acceptable to them.

SaintLouieWoman
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM

We think alike. What a candidate he would be---a man of honor and integrity. I don't see how he can salute the commander in chief.

MountainMan
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
We think alike. What a candidate he would be---a man of honor and integrity. I don't see how he can salute the commander in chief.

Because that is what those of us who have spent time in the military would do. Obama, like it or not is the civilian leader of our armed services and every member of the military, when they salute the CIC, they are also saluting the people of the United States.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Because that is what those of us who have spent time in the military would do. Obama, like it or not is the civilian leader of our armed services and every member of the military, when they salute the CIC, they are also saluting the people of the United States.

A lot of us Think Obama is a Trojan horse but that does not mean we don't love our country.
The office he holds has never meant blind obedience, there is also an oath to the constitution.

MountainMan
02-15-2011, 11:19 PM
A lot of us Think Obama is a Trojan horse but that does not mean we don't love our country.
The office he holds has never meant blind obedience, there is also an oath to the constitution.

First of all, I think the man is incompetent, but not a Trojan horse....That being said.

99.999% of the people in the military have faith in our system of government which means that even though Obama is president now, we know that our system of government works and that he will get replaced either two years from now or six and that means another civilian leader to salute.

As for the oath to the Constitution, I cannot think of one order that Obumble has given to the military that violates that oath. So until that time comes, I expect EVERY member of the military to treat the current CIC with respect.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM
First of all, I think the man is incompetent, but not a Trojan horse....That being said.

99.999% of the people in the military have faith in our system of government which means that even though Obama is president now, we know that our system of government works and that he will get replaced either two years from now or six and that means another civilian leader to salute.

As for the oath to the Constitution, I cannot think of one order that Obumble has given to the military that violates that oath. So until that time comes, I expect EVERY member of the military to treat the current CIC with respect.

15 minutes could save you 15% on your car insurance!:D

Kay
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM

When he first took over after McChrystal, Fox did a special biography on him.
I was very impressed with his background. I think he would make a great President.

Rockntractor
02-15-2011, 11:40 PM
I was very impressed with his background. I think he would make a great President.

That's another thing, no one said McChrystal was unpatriotic or shirking his duty when he resigned.

megimoo
02-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I was very impressed with his background. I think he would make a great President.Perhaps another Grant...With the exception of Eisenhower generals usually make lousy politicians .They lack the skills honed from years of plotting,low animal cunning and intrigue learned in the Congress.To be effective as president you need to really understand the political mind and the low depths of evil depravity it is capable of plumbing .They start their training in law school and by the time they are ready to become political players their ego's have swollen beyond any possible containment .

PoliCon
02-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Perhaps another Grant...With the exception of Eisenhower generals usually make lousy politicians .They lack the skills honed from years of plotting,low animal cunning and intrigue learned in the Congress.To be effective as president you need to really understand the political mind and the low depths of evil depravity it is capable of plumbing .They start their training in law school and by the time they are ready to become political players their ego's have swollen beyond any possible containment .

Who the hell wants another politician? :rolleyes: We need a statesmen.

Starbuck
02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Yup. Ya salute the Boss, ya say "Sir" to the Boss, you do not talk bad about the Boss. That is, unless he is MANY steps removed from you.

namvet
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
he's walkin' out on Osama. not the country

I remember in 68 when LBJ ordered the bombing halt we lost some top notch line officer's.

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
he's walkin' out on Osama. not the country

I remember in 68 when LBJ ordered the bombing halt we lost some top notch line officer's.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly.

ColonialMarine0431
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Got this in my email this a.m.

16 February 2011

Just got this email from Geoff Morrell, Press Secretary for Secretary Robert Gates:

"Despite some sensational speculation by one of the London papers, I can assure you General Petraeus is not quitting as ISAF commander, but nor does he plan to stay in Afghanistan forever. Obviously he will rotate out at some point, but that point has not yet been determined and it will not occur anytime soon. Until then, he will continue to ably lead our coalition forces in Afghanistan."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the incredible words of support and encouragement. I am returning to Afghanistan in February for a combination of work with our military forces, and 'Lone Ranger writing' away from our troops. Your support is crucial. Please consider using Paypal, or my Post Office Box, or other Methods of Support. Again, thank you for all!

Your Writer,

Michael Yon

So who knows?

*shrugs*

Madisonian
02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Got this in my email this a.m.

So who knows?

*shrugs*

With the White House's record of accuracy and truth, I know expect Petraeus to be leaving by the end of this week.
Next week at the latest.:D

SaintLouieWoman
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

I understand that. I sold office equipment to the military for many years and met some officers who went off active duty and took civilian jobs at the Federal Records Center (National Military Archives), doing the same job, but in a civilian capacity. One officer told me that he turned down his promotion as a bird colonel because he could not salute Clinton. I had others make the same remark. One said that he did not want to be treated like a waiter.

lacarnut
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Agree. I wanted storming Norman to run also.

djones520
02-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I understand that. I sold office equipment to the military for many years and met some officers who went off active duty and took civilian jobs at the Federal Records Center (National Military Archives), doing the same job, but in a civilian capacity. One officer told me that he turned down his promotion as a bird colonel because he could not salute Clinton. I had others make the same remark. One said that he did not want to be treated like a waiter.

People like that irk me. We aren't here to serve a President. We are here to defend the Constitution, which tells us that we will follow the orders of the civilian that the American people elect to put over us. Making dumb gestures like that flies in the face of that service.

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
People like that irk me. We aren't here to serve a President. We are here to defend the Constitution, which tells us that we will follow the orders of the civilian that the American people elect to put over us. Making dumb gestures like that flies in the face of that service.

Right now I'm absolutely eeking irk!:rolleyes:

djones520
02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Right now I'm absolutely eeking irk!:rolleyes:

Your not wearing the uniform, so you don't earn that extra irk. Don't worry though, you've given me plenty of other reasons to be irked. :D

lacarnut
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM

You are certainly there to serve at the President's whims and pleasure. He can abolish your unit (reduce troop strength) on short notice.

If you do not like your job or boss, you can go find another one whether you are an officer in the military or whether you are a ditch digger. In my opinion that is what is so great about this country. Nothing dumb about that; it is called choice.

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Your not wearing the uniform, so you don't earn that extra irk. Don't worry though, you've given me plenty of other reasons to be irked. :D

I have every right to comment uniform or not!

djones520
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
I have every right to comment uniform or not!

Well... obviously you've taken what I've been trying to say out of context, because that is not at all what I was saying.

Let me try this again. People in uniform who let politics get in the way of their service annoy me.

Clear enough?

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Well... obviously you've taken what I've been trying to say out of context, because that is not at all what I was saying.

Let me try this again. People in uniform who let politics get in the way of their service annoy me.

Clear enough?

Your arrogance is also crystal clear. I am also part of the country you serve.

lacarnut
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Clear enough?

Clear as mud to me cause if a NCO or officer feels that the CIC is following the wrong course of action, he or she is better retiring. Don't you think? And yes, politics may or may not be involved in their decision.

BTW, I was in the Army for two years and could not wait to get out.

RobJohnson
02-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Some people have values.

lacarnut
02-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Some people have values.

And are not sheep like!!!!!

PoliCon
02-17-2011, 08:25 AM
And are not sheep like!!!!!

Is it just liking sheep? or are you including goats in that as well? I mean it's one thing to say the Irish don't have values because they "like" their sheep - wink wink nudge nudge - and another than to include goats. But then rock like goats and we know he's got not values to speak of . . . . so . . . interesting . . . .

megimoo
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Is it just liking sheep? or are you including goats in that as well? I mean it's one thing to say the Irish don't have values because they "like" their sheep - wink wink nudge nudge - and another than to include goats. But then rock like goats and we know he's got not values to speak of . . . . so . . . interesting . . . .
" But then rock like goats and we know he's got not values to speak o...?.. " new shipment of Hash.Jose ?

PoliCon
02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
" But then rock like goats and we know he's got not values to speak o...?.. " new shipment of Hash.Jose ?

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/not-funny/1/Funnay_Off_to_the_left.jpg

any questions?

Odysseus
02-19-2011, 06:04 PM

We treat the office with respect.

I disagree. We have a requirement to support our civilian leaders and follow their orders. If we cannot do so in good conscience, then we have an obligation to resign. Obama hasn't told me to do anything that violates the Constitution, and while he has made decisions that I fundamentally disagree with, I will continue to serve and live with the consequences.

lacarnut
02-19-2011, 06:34 PM

any questions?

Taken from your home state no doubt.

megimoo
02-19-2011, 06:49 PM

any questions?You are really a subtle critter and you sure have a large collection of subtle stuff !