PDA

View Full Version : Scandal at DOJ: smuggling to pad statistics on U.S. guns in Mexico

malloc
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
A brewing scandal at the Department of Justice involving an illegal scheme to pad statistics on U.S. guns in Mexico threatens to erupt as U.S. Senator Charles Grassley of the Senate Judiciary Committee begins an investigation. ATF agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives--a DOJ agency--allegedly smuggled U.S. guns into Mexico in order to bolster the Department's disputed contention that Mexican drug cartels are armed primarily with U.S. guns. Whistleblowers within the ATF contend that one of the these guns was used to kill Border Patrol agent Brian A. Terry in December of 2010. News of the murder and the underlying scandal that prompted it was first reported on December 28, 2010.

Rather than launch an internal investigation into the murder and the illegal scheme, the Department of Justice under Eric Holder, according to ATF whistleblowers, instead attempted a coverup.

The continually breaking scandal has been reported by Fox News, the Washington Post, the Associated Press, Politico, CBS News, Newsday, the Mexican press, and various TV and newspaper outlets in Arizona.

However, the Washington Post story merely parrots the official DOJ coverup line that the gun smuggling by ATF agents never happened.

Denials are now part of standard operating procedure at the DOJ as the news media and Senator Grassley close in. Grassley's inquiries have been met with stonewalling. But it appears that Grassley's office so far isn't buying DOJ denials. National Gun Rights Examiner David Codrea reports that Senator Grassley sent a personal memo to Eric Holder stating, 'The Terry family deserves answers.'

Rest of Story (http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-national/scandal-at-doj-smuggling-to-pad-statistics-on-u-s-guns-mexico)

I'm not sure how reliable examiner.com or the author of this article is, but if even one agent attempted to bolster the numbers of U.S. Guns seized from Mexican Cartels that spells bad news for the DoJ and ATF who have little to no credibility as it is. Under normal administrations, even Democrat administrations, I would blow this off as an impossibility. However after all the shenanigans Holder's DoJ has pulled, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were true. If there's one of Obama's agencies that have continuously demonstrated their lack of trustworthiness, the DoJ would be it.

Apache
02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure how reliable examiner.com or the author of this article is, but if even one agent attempted to bolster the numbers of U.S. Guns seized from Mexican Cartels that spells bad news for the DoJ and ATF who have little to no credibility as it is. Under normal administrations, even Democrat administrations, I would blow this off as an impossibility. However after all the shenanigans Holder's DoJ has pulled, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were true. If there's one of Obama's agencies that have continuously demonstrated their lack of trustworthiness, the DoJ would be it.

What's the story in the local media say?