PDA

View Full Version : Union Works paid Double Time for Fake Holidays.

Apocalypse
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Beacon Hill’s have-it-both-ways compromise on Suffolk County’s notorious hack holidays will this year force the cash-starved Hub to blow millions of taxpayer dollars on overtime for thousands of union staffers to work on Evacuation Day and Bunker Hill Day, the Herald has learned.

In a recent memorandum obtained by the Herald, Boston Human Resources director Vivian Leonard informed city department heads that “Many unionized personnel will also be required to work on these two days. These employees will be compensated in accordance with the Holiday Pay provision of their applicable collective bargaining agreement.”

Translation: The majority of the city’s 7,200 union staffers will be paid double-time to work the holidays, according to labor relations director John Dunlap.

And most of the city’s 700-plus non-union workers who work the holidays will be given two “floating holidays,” according to Leonard’s memo.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/2011_0216hack_holidays_still_costing_taxpayers/srvc=home&position=0

Starbuck
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
This is a direct result of allowing government workers and public employees to join unions. JFK signed off on it.

Big unions back Democrats, who repay them by allowing such nonsense, and then the unions pay back the Democrats by voting them back in.

Weekly Standard just had an article on this subject while discussing State bankruptcy:

Liberal bloggers, in particular, seemed to perceive the danger to a status quo where Big Labor elects state and local legislators who then return the favor by agreeing to contracts that, say, allow police officers to retire at age 50 with pensions equal to 90 percent of their highest salary. It’s a system that’s made government unions crazy powerful within the Democratic party while also helping states rack up some $3.5 trillion in unfunded pension and health care liabilities. (And that’s in addition to the anticipated $250 billion shortfall in state budgets over the next two years.) Kevin Drum of Mother Jones put it this way: State bankruptcy “promises to become a pretty serious battle. For Republicans it’s got everything: The tea parties will love it, it provides an alternative to raising taxes, and .  .  . it helps defund a key Democratic interest group. What’s not to like?”
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/when-states-go-bust_541424.html?page=1

noonwitch
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
The overtime on holidays generally only affects a few groups of government workers: Cops, corrections' officers and fire fighters. They are generally the only government employees working on holidays.

For the rest of the government employees, it's a paid holiday, like Monday is going to be for me!

Novaheart
02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't most people evacuate once a day?

fettpett
02-16-2011, 01:08 PM
This is a direct result of allowing government workers and public employees to join unions. JFK signed off on it.

Big unions back Democrats, who repay them by allowing such nonsense, and then the unions pay back the Democrats by voting them back in.

Weekly Standard just had an article on this subject while discussing State bankruptcy:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/when-states-go-bust_541424.html?page=1

yeah, the Teachers in the Union in Wisconsin is going batshit crazy over the changes that Walker and the legislature is pushing through. I've got a bunch of friends from school that are complaining because....wait for it.....they have to actually have to be held accountable for their crappy teaching.

Constitutionally Speaking
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Don't most people evacuate once a day?

Not if you eat a lot of cheese!:D

I'm sorry :o

djones520
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
It's an interesting issue. The civilians who work in my section are unionized I guess, and I've never seen any shenanigans like this. But it has saved their ass on a few occasions. When they were getting underpaid for the job they did, it helped them get a promotion. When people tried to schedule them in ways that violated their contracts, it helped fix that snafu.

*shrugs* I'm not fan of Unions. But from what I've seen of this government workplace one, it does good.