PDA

View Full Version : Taoism

CaughtintheMiddle1990
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Anyone here know anything about or practice Taoism? I was hoping to learn about it....

ralph wiggum
02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Google is your friend.

fettpett
02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Well you can start here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

Wei Wu Wei
02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
There is a Taoist author who uses the penname "Wei Wu Wei"

This is where my username is from.

You can read some little quips from his bookson this page: http://www.weiwuwei.8k.com/bits.html

Taoism is awesome. Very roughly speaking, my understanding of it is essentially about diminishing the extra effort you constantly and mindlessly put towards your day to day life. Moments as simple and normal as checking your mailbox or buying groceries are where the magic happens.

It's about finding the blindspot in your conception of yourself, and allowing that conception to change. It's about loosening up your firm grip on yourself and on the way you wish things would happen, and instead being open to new situations (even old situations in a new light) and naturally feeling spontaneous.

It's not a great idea to dive into eastern thought looking for some state of enlightenment or some secret inner truth or anything like that. However, many people who tiptoe into these practices often find it very insightful.

It's known for it's "go with the flow" popular image, but there is focus on finding that which is in yourself, which is more than yourself.

There is very heavy focus on the illusory nature of your own ego. It is crucial to learn to see through your ego (while not necessary obliterating it). There is an often used example when talking about Taosim, concerning an archer who is shooting arrows does so perfectly, flawlessly, naturally, spontaniously, in a sense as if the all-encompasing flow of nature simply worked through him because in truth he is totally embedded in nature. It's contrasted with an archer who is aiming for a target, and he experiences frustration, anger, he has trouble, his shots are all a little off. Many people incorrectly assume this means you are to have no goals or direction, but I think it is more important to see that they are in fact the same thing, not opposites.

You can be seeing and aiming towards a goal while remaining natural, fluid, and spontanious, but you have to accept the reality of your goals and even yourself changing with just as much fluidity, and that is resisted strongly in our Self-loving culture.

One thing in Taoism is the idea of soft power, which is not forceful, aggressive, "start some shit" power that seems all the rage in American male youths. Instead it's a power of 'being like water' (as Bruce Lee said), the way that it moves and dances, around obsticals and changing paths. Nothing stops the soft flow of water because of it's ability to spontaneiously move and adapt to whatever place it is in, and because of this form of soft power (which may not look as flashy) water is able to acheive some of the greatest acts of power, such as literally moving mountains and carving canyons into the earth.

short version: taoism rules

noonwitch
02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Read The Tao of Pooh. It uses Pooh and his friends as examples of different Taoist beliefs.

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't like Tao, Mao or the holy cow!:rolleyes:

Apache
02-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't like Tao, Mao or the holy cow!:rolleyes:

What about the BK triple stack :confused:

Rockntractor
02-16-2011, 04:00 PM
What about the BK triple stack :confused:

I worship those!:D

Articulate_Ape
02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I, for one, consider myself far superior to Taoists and think they should have the living shit beat out of them at every opportunity.

djones520
02-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I, for one, consider myself far superior to Taoists and think they should have the living shit beat out of them at every opportunity.

Ummm... ok?

Articulate_Ape
02-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Ummm... ok?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDHlN5HBmY

Bubba Dawg
02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

That's Wicked Funny......:D

Articulate_Ape
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
That's Wicked Funny......:D

;):D

Bubba Dawg
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
If Taoism had arisen in the mountains of Tennessee, we'd have Taoist Hillbilly Gospel songs played on bluegrass instruments.

When you're flowing with the Tao
There's no need to hurry, cause it is always Now.....

Starbuck
02-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone here know anything about or practice Taoism? I was hoping to learn about it....

The best book I have found to explain Taoism is called "The Tao in Poo", just like Noonwitch said. No kidding. The author explains that Winnie The Poo is the quintessential Taoist. To Winnie The Poo doing nothing is exactly what should be done and everything is as it should be.

You use the Tao in you all the time. A Taoist will teach you to do things by not doing them, and a good example of that is when you drive a car. If you concentrated on driving, the way you had to when you were young, you would have a hard time doing it. So you use the Tao within you to do it and you can do something else.

I love Taoism. My wife tells me I am a Taoist by nature, and I suppose some people are. I'm not really a Taoist, though. I'm far to persnickety for that. But I am easy going, and do not worry much.

It's a great study!:)

Apache
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDHlN5HBmY

That there is too funny :D

megimoo
02-16-2011, 10:37 PM

Lao-Tzu's Tao: Universal Dialectic
http://naturyl.humanists.net/taotext.html