PDA

View Full Version : African American Student Union Members Protest After White Frosh Appointed Director

Gingersnap
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
'It's unlawful' say members of African American Student Union after WHITE, freshman gets director job

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:10 PM on 18th February 2011

Members of an African American Student Union were left open-mouthed and outraged after a white, freshman was hired for a top job within the group.

Torey McCleskey, a first year student at University of North Florida, was handed the coveted assistant director role, after a unanimous decision from the institution's Senate. However AASU members argue that Mr McCleskey, an athletic training and sports medicine student, has never actually set foot in the AASU's office.

http://i55.tinypic.com/oaucs3.jpg
Top job: Members of the African American Student Union were left open-mouthed and outraged after white, freshman Torey McCleskey was hired as assistant director for the group

'We didn't even know who he was. He has attended one event and he left early,' a member told Newsforjax.com. They also said the student, who is a 'slam' poet, has little experience. Around a dozen or so members took to campus grounds to protest the decision yesterday.

'The decision-making, the selection process of his appointment was unlawful,' Christa Merix, an executive cabinet member of AASU who was up for the job herself,' told the website.

'That is the main purpose why we are here.'

Miss Merix and and John Iyoyo, a mechanical engineering junior, were both candidates alongside Mr McCleskey, according to the university's student newspaper. AASU argue that both were much more qualified for the position.

Miss Merix, an advertising student, has been with the AASU for three years, has served on the cabinet and was chosen by the advisory board for the role.

The appointment decision was decided in a tense debate at the Senate on Valentine's Day, The Spinnaker reported.

Current director of the AASU, Joanna Hillman said in the meeting that Student Body President Sitou Byll-Cataria’s choice to hire Mr McCleskey was racially driven and unlawful. 'They (Mr Byll-Cataria and Student Body Vice President Giovannie Medina) are using Torey as a white poster-child for diversity to fulfil their personal agenda of a multicultural agency,' she said.

But Mr Medina hit back saying: 'I don’t see colour when I interview candidates. My principles aren’t based on that, how I was raised was not based on that,' according to The Spinnaker.

Many members, including Ms Hillman said Mr McCleskey’s race was not the issue but the lack of experience was.

You have to read the whole thing - it's hysterical. Bonus points: Student body prez is black, vice prez is Hispanic. :D

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358141/Its-unlawful-say-members-African-American-Student-Union-WHITE-freshman-gets-director-job.html#ixzz1ELW6Qux7

Zafod
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
'They (Mr Byll-Cataria and Student Body Vice President Giovannie Medina) are using Torey as a white poster-child for diversity to fulfil their personal agenda of a multicultural agency,' she said.

its works both fucking ways......

idiots

lacarnut
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
A number of years ago a Cuban replaced a black Superintendent of Schools in Miami. Big, big stink about that. WTF, pretty hard to get a job in retail or construction unless you speak Spanish there.

JB
02-18-2011, 07:41 PM
They all sound like a bunch o' racists.

They shouldn't care that the dude is white. They should care that he looks like a huge tool.

Novaheart
02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I didn't even know that UNF existed.

Gingersnap
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
They all sound like a bunch o' racists.

They shouldn't care that the dude is white. They should care that he looks like a huge tool.

While I agree that his total toolness should disqualify him for anything outside of WoW Snack Coordinator, I do think race matters in this case.

Any association that is solely formed to promote the interests of an exclusive group probably needs to draw its leadership from within that group. Atheists don't need Pentecostals in the power structure, women don't need male leadership, Christians have no use for Muslim input, and so on.

Rockntractor
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Another orange person.

Gingersnap
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Another orange person.

Your massive jealousy issues need attention but not from a genetically gifted person such as myself. :p

JB
02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Atheists don't need Pentecostals in the power structure, women don't need male leadership, Christians have no use for Muslim input,Jesse shouldn't be Grand Wizard.

I have no problem with them wanting an AA to head their little club. As long as we apply the same thinking to other clubs.

CueSi
02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
A number of years ago a Cuban replaced a black Superintendent of Schools in Miami. Big, big stink about that. WTF, pretty hard to get a job in retail or construction unless you speak Spanish there.

Part of the reason for the uproar was due to Rudy Crews supposed attempt to reform the system. It was the same treatment Angela Gittens received during her tenure at MIA.

~QC

Gingersnap
02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Jesse shouldn't be Grand Wizard.

I have no problem with them wanting an AA to head their little club. As long as we apply the same thinking to other clubs.

I agree. I see no reason why white students can't have a group to themselves. After all, we're set to be the biggest minority shortly. ;)

AmPat
02-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Um, I'm confused. Are they African or American? :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Um, I'm confused. Are they African or American? :rolleyes:

They're black.

Dan D. Doty
02-19-2011, 03:38 AM
I looked at the picture of this jerkazoid and thought " this zero looks like a total f*ckin' idiot ".

I've known a number of slam poets, they think if you scream bad poetry it some how becomes good :rolleyes:

I would tell the group not to worry; in six months time they'll find this asswipe dead in his dorm room from doing something stupid like trying to go down on himself and breaking his neck.

If they don't want him to show up for the meets, just give the spud a cheap bong and couple bags of grass; trust me you won't see him again for the rest of the school year ( expect maybe when he gets his arm stuck in a vending machine at the student union trying to steal candy bars).

AmPat
02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
They're black.

Black "African" or Black "Americans?" :eek::cool:

{Just refining the point}

Apache
02-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I know how to get around this whole mess, and it's very easy....

you ready?

sure now?

BLACK student union....

Problem solved :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-19-2011, 11:55 AM

you ready?

sure now?

BLACK student union....

Not enough words, They like a whole string of unintelligible letters.

Apache
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Not enough words, They like a whole string of unintelligible letters.

KISS

nuff said :cool:

Novaheart
02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
While I agree that his total toolness should disqualify him for anything outside of WoW Snack Coordinator, I do think race matters in this case.

Any association that is solely formed to promote the interests of an exclusive group probably needs to draw its leadership from within that group. Atheists don't need Pentecostals in the power structure, women don't need male leadership, Christians have no use for Muslim input, and so on.

I think what sets this apart from some of the other campus club membership discussions is that this is a paid position. Am I correct that this is a paid position?

There is a huge difference between telling someone he can't be the poobah of the junkies club if that's a volunteer leadership position, but it's a different matter if it's a university paid position.

Phillygirl
02-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Berry and others said they don't object to having a white staffer, but said they didn't see a good reason to pick freshman Torey McCleskey, 18, over the other applicants. They noted the African-American Student Union encourages members of any race and said McCleskey was not a member of the union before being appointed.

Students said one of the other applicants is African-American and the other an African immigrant.

Link (http://64.56.81.190/pressroom/newsclips_detail.php?id=11271)

Nobody actually believes that they are protesting because of qualifications, do they?

Interesting that only 1 of the three applicants actually qualified for the "African-American" part.

AmPat
02-20-2011, 09:11 AM

you ready?

sure now?

BLACK student union....

That's better.
:cool:

Now we need a Black American, or maybe a Chinese American, wait, Native American, no? How about Italian or Polish American to be president of the Norwegian Student Union.

I hate hyphenated Americans. Either you are an American or you are NOT.:cool:

Kay
02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I hate hyphenated Americans. Either you are an American or you are NOT.:cool:

Agree 100%.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I hear that he's pretty fly for a white guy. :D

FlaGator
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I didn't even know that UNF existed.

Yep. Right here in good old Jacksonville Florida, along with Florida State College of Jacksonville, Jacksonville University, Edward Waters College, Jones Business College and a hand full of other assorted colleges.