PDA

View Full Version : 12K State Workers Could Be Fired Without Budget Deal, Wisconsin Governor Warns

djones520
02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/20/12g-state-workers-fired-budget-deal-wiscon

If changes aren't made to the benefit contributions paid by Wisconsin's nearly 300,000 public sector employees, about 10,000-12,000 workers will lose their jobs, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker warned Sunday.

The Republican governor has been targeted by protesters for nearly a week for negotiating a bill now in the state Senate that would require workers to increase their contributions to pensions and health care coverage, would limit collective bargaining rules and tie raises to inflation.

But Walker said while the state enjoys a lower-than-average unemployment rate -- about 7.5 percent compared to 9 percent nationally -- about 5,000-6,000 state workers and 5,000-6,000 local government workers could lose their jobs if they don't accept changes to their benefits plan.

"I don't want a single person laid off in the public nor in the private sector and that's why this is a much better alternative than losing jobs," Walker told "Fox News Sunday."

The budget vote was supposed to take place last week, but was delayed when state Senate Democrats fled to Illinois to avoid having to vote on the plan, which would cost public sector employees about $300 million over two years, or less than 10 percent of the deficit total.

Something similar happened at a local company here. A steel plant I think. The owner told his employees that he had to freeze pay for a year. The Union said no, that they were going to vote themselves a pay raise. He flat out told them that if they voted a pay raise, he was firing everyone, closing up, and moving the business to a new area where he could afford the wages.

So what do they do? Vote a pay raise. And subsequently lost their jobs.

Whats that saying? Cutting the nose off to spite the face? :rolleyes:

BadCat
02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I hope the governor fires every last one of them.

Apocalypse
02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Start now by putting 1k of them into layoff. Scare the rest into this could happen to them if the deal doesn't happen.

Novaheart
02-20-2011, 01:23 PM
http://blendzpolitik.blogspot.com/2011/02/wisconsin-governor-scott-walker-padded.html

Scott Walker Padded Salary Increases for Cronies During Budgetary Distress: 24% Salary Increase for Aide with 2 Public Pensions

Zathras
02-20-2011, 01:25 PM
http://blendzpolitik.blogspot.com/2011/02/wisconsin-governor-scott-walker-padded.html

Scott Walker Padded Salary Increases for Cronies During Budgetary Distress: 24% Salary Increase for Aide with 2 Public Pensions

Yawn....the faux conservative speaks....and nobody cares.

Novaheart
02-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Choose heroes carefully.

Apocalypse
02-20-2011, 02:43 PM

Choose heroes carefully.

Guess I have to set you straight on your selective facts.

Tim Russell like Scott Walker when they took their jobs in Mil. agreed to, and might I add, voluntarily give back about $40k of their salary to help with the budget problems in their county. In addition, both paid full taxes on the full amount, not the reduced they by law were to be paid.

Let me make it easier for you to understand.

Russell's Director of Housing salary, $75,866.13 – was a full $37,201.00 less than that of his predecessor. That dealt him a raise of $2,496.13 over his previous county exec’s office salary of $73,370.00. A 3.4% pay raise. Or you could look at it, he was being paid 33% less then he should have been paid when hired.

Not to mention, a far cry from “doubling his salary,” as Liebenthal suggests.

That’s not a scandal…it’s right in keeping with Walker’s policy of trimming County costs.

If it had been Doyle who won that seat, and hired Russell to that position, Russell would have gotten the full $110k salary to start with.

In addition, for Walker...

For the first six years in office, Walker took a voluntary 50% pay-cut out of his $130k annual salary, thereby putting Milwaukee County ahead by $360,000. To keep Milwaukee County taxpayer’s heads above water, serious belt tightening would be in order. Walker knew he would be making tough budgetary decisions that would call for his employees to sacrifice. Did Walker put his money where his mouth was? You bet. In addition, Walker paid income tax on the full salary amount. Such personal sacrifice was the rule until 2008, when Walker elected to give back about $10,000 per year which is still a larger figure than those faced with furloughs.

BadCat
02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

That idiot tells people he's a "conservative"????

He sure wasn't one over at NU.

Rockntractor
02-20-2011, 02:47 PM
That idiot tells people he's a "conservative"????

He sure wasn't one over at NU.

His conservative issues are guns and borders.

NJCardFan
02-21-2011, 12:44 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/20/12g-state-workers-fired-budget-deal-wiscon

Something similar happened at a local company here. A steel plant I think. The owner told his employees that he had to freeze pay for a year. The Union said no, that they were going to vote themselves a pay raise. He flat out told them that if they voted a pay raise, he was firing everyone, closing up, and moving the business to a new area where he could afford the wages.

So what do they do? Vote a pay raise. And subsequently lost their jobs.

Whats that saying? Cutting the nose off to spite the face? :rolleyes:
2 words for you: Eastern Airlines

PoliCon
02-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Choose heroes carefully.

So what you're saying is that the what he is doing right now is wrong because of something he did in 2008? :rolleyes:

lacarnut
02-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Choose heroes carefully.

We know ours. Who is yours, the Magic Negro?

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 01:19 AM
His conservative issues are guns and borders.

The only true conservative issues.

Rockntractor
02-21-2011, 01:26 AM

That's bull hockey sweetie!That makes you a walking contradiction, an illogical mess, two flavors shy of a bowl of fruity pebbles!

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 01:38 AM
That's bull hockey sweetie!That makes you a walking contradiction, an illogical mess, two flavors shy of a bowl of fruity pebbles!

piffle

lacarnut
02-21-2011, 02:24 AM

And a legend in his own mind. :eek:

PoliCon
02-21-2011, 08:48 AM

The only true isolationist issues perhaps.

Adam Wood
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I hope the governor fires every last one of them.He should. Just get right on prime-time television, hold a big news conference, and say "well, I gave you an offer, including a promise not to fire anyone or lay anyone off or even to reduce paid hours, and you didn't take it, so you've forced my hand: you're all fired, which means that there is no more union at all, and we'll start hiring non-union workers tomorrow morning starting at 8:00 in the morning."

piffleFlarn.

There's a lot more conservative issues than guns and borders. Sorry. Taxes, the ever-growing creep of federal government, and overall government interference in people's lives and businesses leaps immediately to mind at the front of the pack.

Starbuck
02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
He should. Just get right on prime-time television, hold a big news conference, and say "well, I gave you an offer, including a promise not to fire anyone or lay anyone off or even to reduce paid hours, and you didn't take it, so you've forced my hand: you're all fired, which means that there is no more union at all, and we'll start hiring non-union workers tomorrow morning starting at 8:00 in the morning."

Chances are he'd have quite a large meeting. Teachers, the most vocal of critics, make 89,000/yr in WI unless you teach in Milwaukee. Then they make 100,000/yr.
I really don't think he'd have all that hard a time finding replacements.

djones520
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Chances are he'd have quite a large meeting. Teachers, the most vocal of critics, make 89,000/yr in WI unless you teach in Milwaukee. Then they make 100,000/yr.

89,000 a year with 3-4 months of vacation time? And these people are bitching? I make $55,000 a year, thats with benefits included, and only get 1 month of vacation time, and I'm living just fine.

AmPat
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM

I should be retired in @ a year and a half. I have a teacher's certificate. I'll sub-teach for 100K until they get enough teachers to replace me.:)

Zathras
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
piffle

that too.

Starbuck
02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Check this out:
There are 59,500 teachers in Wisconsin. They retire after 20 years.

So if you flat-line that fact, that means about 1/20th of the teachers retire each year. That would be 3000. Give or take.

Women live an average of 80 years. So the teacher who went to work right out of college retires at age 45 and stays retired (on the payroll) for 35 years!

3000 (per year) times 35 years = 105,000 ex-teachers! On the friggin payroll! Being supported by 59,500 working teachers! Forever! 3000 die off, 3000 retire. Every year.

See why it's unworkable? They gotta keep working until they're 60+. Just like everyone else.:mad:

PoliCon
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Check this out:

So if you flat-line that fact, that means about 1/20th of the teachers retire each year. That would be 3000. Give or take.

Women live an average of 80 years. So the teacher who went to work right out of college retires at age 45 and stays retired (on the payroll) for 35 years!

3000 (per year) times 35 years = 105,000 ex-teachers! On the friggin payroll! Being supported by 59,500 working teachers! Forever! 3000 die off, 3000 retire. Every year.

See why it's unworkable? They gotta keep working until they're 60+. Just like everyone else.:mad:

But they do keep working - they just retire from teaching - take the pension and take another job.

fettpett
02-22-2011, 12:25 AM
But they do keep working - they just retire from teaching - take the pension and take another job.

and that's where it needs to be fixed...they shouldn't get a pension until they are 60-65 years old like the rest of us if we have one. fuck the double dipping bullshit, they've got 20 good years they can work without a pension

AmPat
02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Check this out:

I believe that the taxpayers pay the tab. The teachers are being asked to pay only @ 5.8 percent toward their retirement. The teachers (and union), think that it is outrageous and intolerable to ask these teachers to pay this exorbitant sum toward their own retirement.

I've also heard some of these idiots try to float the tax label on this and try to trip up conservatives using this clumsy ploy.

PoliCon
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
and that's where it needs to be fixed...they shouldn't get a pension until they are 60-65 years old like the rest of us if we have one. fuck the double dipping bullshit, they've got 20 good years they can work without a pension

reality is most teachers put in 30+ unless they're moving into administration or some other aspect of the bureaucracy.

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
reality is most teachers put in 30+ unless they're moving into administration or some other aspect of the bureaucracy.

That is true but that still leaves them retiring in their mid 50's which is 10 years less than most in the private sector. A teacher retiring at 55 with 30 years of experience will suck up more in retirement pay and medical benefits than he or she will put in. That's where the rub comes in cause the taxpayer has to kick in the difference which creates huge unfunded liabilities.

The Louisiana state's teachers retirement system is in bad shape because of the perks that other state employees do not have such as sabbatical leave (1 year of sitting on your ass or going to school with pay) or retiring at 20 years. That crap needs to stop. Plus, I know of lousy teachers who should be fired. My nephew's wife is one of them. She is on sabbatical and tried to commit suicide over the Christmas holidays. Teachers in this state are not union but it is hard to get rid of one that is incompetent and or crazy.

Wei Wu Wei
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Look at all these jobs Walker is creating.

meanwhile: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_64c8d7a8-3e8c-11e0-9911-001cc4c002e0.html

Labor group calls for general strike if budget bill is approved

STEVEN VERBURG | Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:30 am

The 97-union South Central Federation of Labor voted Monday night to prepare for a general strike that would take place if Gov. Scott Walker succeeds in enacting his budget repair bill, which would strip most bargaining rights from most public employee unions.

The strike would call for union and non-union workers in large swaths of the workforce to stop working, said Carl Aniel, labor federation delegate from AFSCME Local 171.

It was unclear Tuesday how many workers would take part and how the strike might work.

Walker’s proposal, part of a bill to close a $137 million budget shortfall for the year that ends June 30, sparked days of massive protests at the Capitol and a walkout by Democratic state senators that has stalled action on the legislation.

The strike could affect schools, governments and private businesses, but crucial life-and-death services would not be interrupted, Aniel said Tuesday morning.

“It doesn’t mean that everyone is going to stop working on a particular moment or day,” Aniel said. “It means that we are preparing so that the decisions are made in a very significantly different way so that it protects the people of Wisconsin.”

But some services would be shut down, he said. The labor group would still have to determine which services would be shut down, he added.

“If it was decided the governor’s mansion really wasn’t that important and it wasn’t that important to heat it or give it electricity or to guard it, then those things wouldn’t happen,” Aniel said.

In addition to bargaining for wages and benefits, unions often seek to secure better conditions for the people who receive public and private services such as hospital patients, the elderly and children.

About 100 members of the federation voted unanimously for the resolutions, he said.

A major component of the preparations is to educate union members and the public on what the strike would mean and how it would work.

Walker warns that state employees could start receiving layoff notices as early as next week if a bill eliminating collective bargaining rights isn’t passed soon.

Meanwhile Walker said Tuesday in a statement to The Associated Press that the layoffs wouldn’t take effect immediately. He didn’t say which workers would be targeted.

Walker says in the statement, “Hopefully we don’t get to that point.”

Wei Wu Wei
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Walker claimed that all he wanted to do was balance the budget and have teachers pay into their own health plans and pensions.

The Democratic lawmakers agreed to lower pensions and renegotiating the health plans, but Walker still insists on no compromise unless the collective bargaining done with.

If it is about the budget, the Dems made the necessary concessions, but this is pure Union-busting and it seems other workers are starting to support the teachers.

They've already go tthe support of the local police and firefighters, and if these other labor groups form a general strike, we've got fireworks ready to go.

AmPat
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Outstanding. Let the Unions show their considerable @$$ so that Walker can fire them and hire people that appreciate employment.

Rockntractor
02-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Walker claimed that all he wanted to do was balance the budget and have teachers pay into their own health plans and pensions.

The Democratic lawmakers agreed to lower pensions and renegotiating the health plans, but Walker still insists on no compromise unless the collective bargaining done with.

If it is about the budget, the Dems made the necessary concessions, but this is pure Union-busting and it seems other workers are starting to support the teachers.

They've already go tthe support of the local police and firefighters, and if these other labor groups form a general strike, we've got fireworks ready to go.

Commie unions must die! We will deprogram you and make you work.

AmPat
02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

If it were entirely about Union busting it would be enough. Apparently your reflex liberal reaction is to support the Union at all costs. Your God O Blah Blah is proud of you.

Wei Wu Wei
02-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Commie unions must die! We will deprogram you and make you work.

been watching old Rambo movies this weekend?

Rockntractor
02-22-2011, 02:28 PM
been watching old Rambo movies this weekend?

You will be assimilated Tao Mao!

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Let them all strike so that we get this shit straightened out once and for all. There are millions of educated workers who are unemployed that would love a job and would make good teachers. While we are at it, fire all the administrators who have bloated salaries also. For the most part, public schools are doing a lousy job of teaching kids.

I don't think the police and firefighters would strike either. That is just bullshit. Many of them are having trouble making ends meet and living from pay day to pay day in this economy. However, you never know with these radical union heads that are bilking their members out of millions in outrageous salaries. They will get their 6 figure checks while these poor saps are on the picket line.

Wei Wu Wei
02-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Look at all these jobs Walker is creating

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 03:06 PM

He is creating a shit pot full if you use the same measurement that Obummer uses. Once he makes these cuts and gets his financial house in order, he can start reducing taxes on Corporations to induce business to relocate to WI. Something mindless dummies like you and Obummer can not comprehend.

Adam Wood
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Look at all these jobs Walker is creatingWith a general strike that results in all of this dead weight getting fired? Hell yeah, he will create a bunch of jobs.

PoliCon
02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

best way to create jobs is to cut government spending and in return taxes. Businesses go where the tax burden is lightest.

fettpett
02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Wisconsin schools are doing such a bang up job that the Packer's had to donate $5,000 to a mentor and tutoring program to Howe Elementary School in Green Bay because the students are up to THREE FUCKING YEARS BEHIND!

I came out of the Wisconsin school system, I know how most of these teachers are. some are great, GREAT teachers, others just don't give a shit. My second grade teacher sucked ass, didn't do shit to help me learn how to read, my third grade teacher was just the opposite and is the reason I love to read now. I've had boring ass History teachers that put me to sleep, literally, and I LOVE history.

Wisconsin Teachers Unions need to be broken up and allow more flexibility for the local governments that have to deal with them on a day to day basis.