PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Iraq Vet Gets Heckled During Columbia University Speech

djones520
02-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus.

"Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.

Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military.

"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/20/wounded-iraq-vet-gets-heckled-columbia-university-speech/

Fucking scumbags.

Lanie
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I agree. They totally are acting disgusting here.

On another note, eleven times? These people are probably a piece of cake to handle.

Apache
02-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Assholes...

Odysseus
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/20/wounded-iraq-vet-gets-heckled-columbia-university-speech/

Fucking scumbags.

You know something? I don't want ROTC back on Columbia. I don't want to lead those kinds of people in combat, or entrust the lives of enlisted Soldiers to them. In fact, the DOD ought to come out and say that the virulent anti-American sentiments on the campus render Columbia students unfit for military leadership, and those who do want to serve can continue to take the course at Fordham University, which provides ROTC instruction to the NYC schools that don't deign to permit their students the choice.

Bubba Dawg
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Like you said, Scumbags.

Articulate_Ape
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Just another band of meatsacks educated beyond their intellects. :mad:

NJCardFan
02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
These idiots, of course, are egged on by their 'intellectual' professors.

Odysseus
02-21-2011, 12:36 AM
These idiots, of course, are egged on by their 'intellectual' professors.

They are. But I repeat my point. ROTC is supposed to select college students who are going to lead troops. Schools like Columbia don't foster leadership, they train sheep. I wouldn't recruit on that campus if I had a choice, since there is no leadership to develop. I say that we enforce the Solomon Amendment and make it clear that the decision to maintain the ROTC ban is mutual.

Madisonian
02-21-2011, 09:15 AM
This is the same university that allowed Achmedinejad to speak on its campus when he should not even be allowed in this country, so what else would one expect.

txradioguy
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
You stay classy Columbia.

Adam Wood
02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
You know something? I don't want ROTC back on Columbia. I don't want to lead those kinds of people in combat, or entrust the lives of enlisted Soldiers to them. In fact, the DOD ought to come out and say that the virulent anti-American sentiments on the campus render Columbia students unfit for military leadership, and those who do want to serve can continue to take the course at Fordham University, which provides ROTC instruction to the NYC schools that don't deign to permit their students the choice.Or they can hop on the train and go up to West Point, instead.

Phillygirl
02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
They are. But I repeat my point. ROTC is supposed to select college students who are going to lead troops. Schools like Columbia don't foster leadership, they train sheep. I wouldn't recruit on that campus if I had a choice, since there is no leadership to develop. I say that we enforce the Solomon Amendment and make it clear that the decision to maintain the ROTC ban is mutual.

There are actually a few leaders there worthy of military service. But you will find them in the athletes' dorms there, nowhere else.

Lots of weirdos, misfits, and foreign nationals that hate this country at Columbia. But there are a few decent students as well. They just don't make the news.

AmPat
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
There are actually a few leaders there worthy of military service. But you will find them in the athletes' dorms there, nowhere else.

Lots of weirdos, misfits, and foreign nationals that hate this country at Columbia. But there are a few decent students as well. They just don't make the news.

They should take their money elsewhere. I wouldn't spend a dime in a vending machine on this sorry excuse for a campus.

Phillygirl
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
They should take their money elsewhere. I wouldn't spend a dime in a vending machine on this sorry excuse for a campus.

I happen to agree with you. The education is a good one, but with the exorbitant cost and the bullshit going on with things like this, I wouldn't spend my money on an education there...not that I would have had the choice to decline it when I was going to school! ;)

Odysseus
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Or they can hop on the train and go up to West Point, instead.
West Point has higher standards. They wouldn't get in.

As it stands now, Columbia students who want to take ROTC have to take it at Fordham, as do NYU students. Those guys have already demonstrated independent thought and leadership by bucking the PC meme on campus. Otherwise, recruiting at Columbia is just a waste of taxpayer dollars.

I happen to agree with you. The education is a good one, but with the exorbitant cost and the bullshit going on with things like this, I wouldn't spend my money on an education there...not that I would have had the choice to decline it when I was going to school! ;)
The education isn't that good. They come out with a skull full of PC crap in lieu of knowledge. The only reason that the Ivy League exists today is as a finishing school for ruling class twits. They learn to recognize each other and network, but that's the extent of their "knowledge".

Adam Wood
02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
West Point has higher standards. They wouldn't get in.That was a little bit of my tongue-in-cheek point: if someone wants to be an officer, then they ought to busy themselves with being the best damned officer there can be, which is a graduate from the Point.

I recognize, though, that not just anyone gets to go to West Point. Like I said, it was a little bit tongue-in-cheek.

Phillygirl
02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
West Point has higher standards. They wouldn't get in.

True. The kid that I know that is a fairly recent grad was unable to get into the Naval Academy (bad eyes) but got into Columbia. Of course the service academies are their own version of the elite meet elite.

As it stands now, Columbia students who want to take ROTC have to take it at Fordham, as do NYU students. Those guys have already demonstrated independent thought and leadership by bucking the PC meme on campus. Otherwise, recruiting at Columbia is just a waste of taxpayer dollars. Mostly true. For the amount of money it would cost to recruit, the payback probably isn't worth it. Although you may get a few really bright kids who don't qualify for the special scholarships they give away at the Ivies who just might take up the military on the offer.

The education isn't that good. They come out with a skull full of PC crap in lieu of knowledge. The only reason that the Ivy League exists today is as a finishing school for ruling class twits. They learn to recognize each other and network, but that's the extent of their "knowledge".

There's definitely a lot of that. I'm not an Ivy Leaguer and I feel like sour grapes saying this...but by and large I wouldn't waste my money on an ivy league education these days. I went to law school with quite a few who were from the Ivies for undergrad. The only difference I could see between me and thee was that my parents didn't have money, nor was I the right skin color to get in with credentials somewhat less than one would expect from an Ivy candidate. Although it was a little intimidating when the first three people I met were from Harvard, Yale and Georgetown.

Odysseus
02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
True. The kid that I know that is a fairly recent grad was unable to get into the Naval Academy (bad eyes) but got into Columbia. Of course the service academies are their own version of the elite meet elite.
Yes and no. The military academies don't waive academics, even for congressional appointments. The only thing that the special categories (children of MOH recipients, congressional nominees) get is a place in the line. They have to meet the standards.

Mostly true. For the amount of money it would cost to recruit, the payback probably isn't worth it. Although you may get a few really bright kids who don't qualify for the special scholarships they give away at the Ivies who just might take up the military on the offer.
Not worth it. The cost of cleaning the graffiti off the ROTC building and replacing the windows every week would negate any value added. Plus, whenever some prof gets his panties in a bunch over some foreign policy issue, we'd have to shut it down until things calmed down. They'd be lucky to have a few consecutive days of uninterrupted operations per month, between bomb threats, vandalism and assaults on personnel. I'd rather cut off all federal funding under the Solomon Amendment and let the Ivies raise their own money. If they can't make a go of it without government largess, then they can consult their economics departments for some solutions.

There's definitely a lot of that. I'm not an Ivy Leaguer and I feel like sour grapes saying this...but by and large I wouldn't waste my money on an ivy league education these days. I went to law school with quite a few who were from the Ivies for undergrad. The only difference I could see between me and thee was that my parents didn't have money, nor was I the right skin color to get in with credentials somewhat less than one would expect from an Ivy candidate. Although it was a little intimidating when the first three people I met were from Harvard, Yale and Georgetown.

Most of the value of an Ivy League diploma is that you can say that you went there. Other than that, the education is markedly inferior. The undergrad classes are taught almost exclusively by grad students and TAs, and the elite faculty don't have much interaction with anyone who isn't working for them on their various publishing projects. You're far likelier to get real faculty attention and guidance at a state school or smaller college. My experiences with Ivy Leaguers in the last few years is that they are woefully ignorant of a host of subjects, the most obvious example being Obama and his 57 states gaff.

djones520
02-21-2011, 02:59 PM
That was a little bit of my tongue-in-cheek point: if someone wants to be an officer, then they ought to busy themselves with being the best damned officer there can be, which is a graduate from the Point.

I recognize, though, that not just anyone gets to go to West Point. Like I said, it was a little bit tongue-in-cheek.

I've worked under plenty of officers who have been to the Acadamies. They don't always turn out to be the best. The best officers I have worked under were ROTC who were also prior enlisted.

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I thought the objection to ROTC on campus was that they discriminate against gay people. I would think that objection has been overcome by the elimination of DADT.

djones520
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
I thought the objection to ROTC on campus was that they discriminate against gay people. I would think that objection has been overcome by the elimination of DADT.

Which just goes to show that the truth is they hate the military.

CueSi
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM

No. They are using the transgender as their current bloody shirt. I reached the limits of my tolerance with this.

And they hate the military.

~QC

Odysseus
02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
The signs at the meeting had nothing to do with DADT.
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011/02/20/news/photos_stories/20.1n008.norespect2--300x300.jpg
They just despise us. DADT was an excuse. They think that we are poor, uneducated trash who don't measure up to their lofty standards. John Kerry, who should have known better, stated it openly when he said that if you didn't study or work hard in school, you'd get stuck in Iraq.

No. They are using the transgender as their current bloody shirt. I reached the limits of my tolerance with this.

And they hate the military.
~QC

Yep. Funny, though, when I told Wilbur that the trans-gendered would be next to demand admission, he accused me of hyperbole. And yet, that is exactly what is happening. Will Wilbur admit that he was wrong? Does he ever? :rolleyes:

I've worked under plenty of officers who have been to the Acadamies. They don't always turn out to be the best. The best officers I have worked under were ROTC who were also prior enlisted.

I've never worked for or with a USMA grad who was completely ate up, but I have worked with ROTC and OCS grads who were. It's a crap shoot. Generally, the Pointers tend to be a bit on the anal side, but very competent. My last senior rater was a Pointer, and he was superb. I'd take a bullet for him any day. The ROTC guys vary wildly, based on which school they went to. The OCS guys tend to be squared away, as being enlisted is the prerequisite, but there are exceptions.

I'm prior enlisted, so I'll refrain from further assumptions as to the general competence of my peers.

Phillygirl
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes and no. The military academies don't waive academics, even for congressional appointments. The only thing that the special categories (children of MOH recipients, congressional nominees) get is a place in the line. They have to meet the standards.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that they don't meet the standards...simply that there takes a lot more than grades to get into the academies. They are extremely competitive and if you don't "know" someone, chances are slim that you will get in.

Not worth it. The cost of cleaning the graffiti off the ROTC building and replacing the windows every week would negate any value added. Plus, whenever some prof gets his panties in a bunch over some foreign policy issue, we'd have to shut it down until things calmed down. They'd be lucky to have a few consecutive days of uninterrupted operations per month, between bomb threats, vandalism and assaults on personnel. I'd rather cut off all federal funding under the Solomon Amendment and let the Ivies raise their own money. If they can't make a go of it without government largess, then they can consult their economics departments for some solutions.

I can't argue with that logic. I had never thought about it before, and was just ticked off at the shenanigans. Your plan is better.

Most of the value of an Ivy League diploma is that you can say that you went there. Other than that, the education is markedly inferior. The undergrad classes are taught almost exclusively by grad students and TAs, and the elite faculty don't have much interaction with anyone who isn't working for them on their various publishing projects. You're far likelier to get real faculty attention and guidance at a state school or smaller college. My experiences with Ivy Leaguers in the last few years is that they are woefully ignorant of a host of subjects, the most obvious example being Obama and his 57 states gaff.
I don't completely agree with the value of the education overall. However, a good part of its value is in getting accepted, and getting the sheepskin. UPenn, for example, does not give letter grades for law school...just pass/fail.