PDA

View Full Version : Gaddafi flees: State buildings ablaze, dictator to make last stand in desert

bijou
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2011/02/Libya4_415.jpg

Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi was reported to have fled the capital Tripoli this afternoon after protesters set fire to government buildings.

There were reports that he had left for his home town of Sebha in the Sahara, his tribal power base, to make a last stand as protests against his 41-year rule intensified.

Gaddafi, 69, was spotted at Tripoli's Mitiga airport where three planes took off. "Gaddafi was on one," said a source. "The planes were heading down south, to Sebha." There were also reports of armoured convoys heading towards Sebha from Tripoli, loaded with supplies and documents. ...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23924941-david-cameron-condemns-libya-200-massacred-for-gaddafi-protests.do

djones520
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
On top of that, the AP just reported that two Libyan Air Force Mirage's and their pilots fled to a neighboring country to seek asylum.

bijou
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
On top of that, the AP just reported that two Libyan Air Force Mirage's and their pilots fled to a neighboring country to seek asylum.

Latest info is that he is on his way to Venezuela (reported as 'credible information'). I'd have thought that Venezuela had a surfeit of dictators.

djones520
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Latest info is that he is on his way to Venezuela (reported as 'credible information'). I'd have thought that Venezuela had a surfeit of dictators.

If thats true, it'll be interesting to see how the DUmmies spin their noble leader of the people giving asylum to another dictator.

lacarnut
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
All of these demonstrations and riots is not a good thing. Oil prices and commodities will shoot up. Obama did not help by shooting his mouth off and emboldening the protesters in Egypt. So, it looks like all hell is going to break out throughout the M.E. I am going to gas up just in case there are any disruptions in supply.

djones520
02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
It does look like Libya is going to have a change in power now. Three countries, one a major one, with succesful turn overs will seriously embolden the rest of the region.

Maybe we should be writing our folks in the House to start pushing to drill at home.

CueSi
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
http://catmacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/cat_faucet_shit.jpg

~QC

Rockntractor
02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
It does look like Libya is going to have a change in power now. Three countries, one a major one, with succesful turn overs will seriously embolden the rest of the region.

Maybe we should be writing our folks in the House to start pushing to drill at home.

You think?

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi was reported to have fled the capital Tripoli this afternoon after protesters set fire to government buildings.

There were reports that he had left for his home town of Sebha in the Sahara, his tribal power base, to make a last stand as protests against his 41-year rule intensified.

Gaddafi, 69, was spotted at Tripoli's Mitiga airport where three planes took off. "Gaddafi was on one," said a source. "The planes were heading down south, to Sebha." There were also reports of armoured convoys heading towards Sebha from Tripoli, loaded with supplies and documents. ...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23924941-david-cameron-condemns-libya-200-massacred-for-gaddafi-protests.do

Does anyone know what determines when news people refer to a "tribe"? I get Tarzan images.

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
All of these demonstrations and riots is not a good thing. Oil prices and commodities will shoot up. Obama did not help by shooting his mouth off and emboldening the protesters in Egypt. So, it looks like all hell is going to break out throughout the M.E. I am going to gas up just in case there are any disruptions in supply.

Or, these new governments might pump oil with all their might, so they can get as much money as possible to make as big a splash as possible. Look at Chavez, he spends huge amounts of money. He barks, but he has to keep the oil pumping or his power goes away. He only stays in power as long as he's writing welfare checks.

djones520
02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Or, these new governments might pump oil with all their might, so they can get as much money as possible to make as big a splash as possible. Look at Chavez, he spends huge amounts of money. He barks, but he has to keep the oil pumping or his power goes away. He only stays in power as long as he's writing welfare checks.

And if it's a messy power change, and some looneys get in there and take over, then we're screwed.

Articulate_Ape
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know what determines when news people refer to a "tribe"? I get Tarzan images.

If you are wearing essentially the exact same clothing your ancestors did 1500 years ago, you are probably in a tribe.

If getting stoned involves actual stones, you are probably in a tribe.

If you look at a woman and say, "I'd hit it" and you mean it literally, you are probably in a tribe.

If camel humps describes your sex life rather than the anatomy of a camel, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have used sand as toilet paper, you are probably in a tribe.

If you believe in peace and are willing to slaughter anyone that's in your way to get it, you are probably in a tribe.

If you secretly lust after western women because you dream of having children without fur, you are probably in a tribe.

Shall I go on?

Novaheart
02-21-2011, 05:32 PM
If you are wearing essentially the exact same clothing your ancestors did 1500 years ago, you are probably in a tribe.

If you look at a woman and say, "I'd hit it" and you mean it literally, you are probably in a tribe.

If camel humps describes your sex life rather than the anatomy of a camel, you are probably in a tribe.

If you believe in peace and are willing to slaughter anyone that's in your way to get it, you are probably in a tribe.

If you secretly lust after western women because you dream of having children without fur, you are probably in a tribe.

Shall I go on?

Very good. Did you make it up or borrow it?

Odysseus
02-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Every once in a while, you'll write something like this and make me cringe that you are allowed to vote.

Arab culture is based on family, clan, tribe, religion and, on occasion, nation. A tribe is a collection of clans that are related through kinship ties. Clans are usually based on a single line of descent, while tribes encompass multiple clans. In order to understand Arab culture, you have to understand tribal cultures. Most Arab nations are simply tribal enclaves that have managed to get borders drawn around them. In the case of those states which encompass multiple tribes, the largest, best-armed tribe dominates. In Iraq, under Saddam, it was the al Tikriti tribe. In Syria, it's the Assad clan. In Libya, Qaddafi filled the government with his tribesmen. Saudi Arabia named itself after the Ibn Saud clan. Egypt is the same way. The only pan-tribal groups in Arab culture are the Islamist movements, which claim to be universal, but which are, in fact, just as riven with tribal politics as the nations that they seek to overturn.

Starbuck
02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Man, did you check out the price of oil today? Our markets are closed but oil climbed $8 to $94.00 +/- because it is still changing.
http://www.marketwatch.com/
That's big and frightening.

As you and I once discussed, we have positioned our portfolios to take advantage of such things, but I dunno if it's gonna be enough. Might just be a fart in a hurricane.

lacarnut
02-21-2011, 06:51 PM

What will happen is that the new rulers of these countries will continue the same policies of the past with a new twist. They will get greedy and renegotiate contracts with all foreign oil drilling companies. If they do not like it, they will seize their oil field equipment like Chavez did to EXXON and another American firm resulting in lower production rather than increased production. That has had a drastic effect on Venezuela economy as their oil revenues have plummeted and poverty has increased.

You really should not comment on energy issues cause you do not know your ass from the hole in the ground.

lacarnut
02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Man, did you check out the price of oil today? Our markets are closed but oil climbed $8 to $94.00 +/- because it is still changing.
http://www.marketwatch.com/
That's big and frightening.

As you and I once discussed, we have positioned our portfolios to take advantage of such things, but I dunno if it's gonna be enough. Might just be a fart in a hurricane.

Yep, I saw that. Gold increased $17 per ounce to over $1400 and silver increased 4% in European markets.

Filled my car up today. $3.27 for premium. Might be a good idea to do it soon before the shit hits the fan.

Articulate_Ape
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Very good. Did you make it up or borrow it?

I always write my own material. If I post something that's not mine, I attribute it. I will admit to borrowing Foxworthy's format though.

Madisonian
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Shall I go on?

Can I add a few?

If you cough like you are hacking up a lung and 2 or more people think you said their name - you are probably in a tribe.

If self sacrifice means blowing up 30 of your neighbors instead of helping them - you are probably in a tribe.

If you are blind and can tell Achmed from a goat because the goat smells better, you are probably in a tribe.

Articulate_Ape
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Can I add a few?

If you cough like you are hacking up a lung and 2 or more people think you said their name - you are probably in a tribe.

If self sacrifice means blowing up 30 of your neighbors instead of helping them - you are probably in a tribe.

If you are blind and can tell Achmed from a goat because the goat smells better, you are probably in a tribe.

:D:D

If getting someone's goat refers to adultery, you are probably in a tribe.

If you never complain about women drivers, you are probably in a tribe.

Madisonian
02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
:D:D

If getting someone's goat refers to adultery, you are probably in a tribe.

If you never complain about women drivers, you are probably in a tribe.

If "smoking a camel" has nothing to do with cigarettes, you are probably in a tribe.

If 3 sheets to the wind describes your house, not your sobriety, you are probably in a tribe.

Calypso Jones
02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
If 'between a rock and a hard place' describes your digs, you may be tribal.

http://billyboy2005.webbywarehouse.com/Capitola/Jokes8/Jokes1400.html

roughly.

Calypso Jones
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM
when are we going to get the report that Quaddafi duck is in a coma?

Rockntractor
02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
when are we going to get the report that Quaddafi duck is in a coma?

I thought they would say he was coming out of the closet!:confused:

Calypso Jones
02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
His Style is Desert Sheik. :D

He shoulda been in show business.

Articulate_Ape
02-22-2011, 12:32 AM
If "smoking a camel" has nothing to do with cigarettes, you are probably in a tribe.

If 3 sheets to the wind describes your house, not your sobriety, you are probably in a tribe.

HAHAHAHA! :D

Zathras
02-22-2011, 01:18 AM

I guess Venezuela is the new Argentina.

linda22003
02-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Filled my car up today. $3.27 for premium. Might be a good idea to do it soon before the shit hits the fan.

Wow, premium is CHEAP where you are! I filled up the other day for $3.56.

Zathras
02-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Yeah, I'd love $3.27 for premium here. That means regular would've been $3.07 instead of the $3.49 per gallon I had to pay. :(

Calypso Jones
02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't understand why Americans aren't screaming Bloody Murder.

Zathras
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Because it would fall on deaf ears, that's why.

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Baton Rouge has the second largest refinery (Exxon) in the US. 52 bucks for a fill-up is not cheap. However, my Denbury stock went up today.

Calypso Jones
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
STock Market is up. not really sure what to make of that but i do know it rises in spite of the dung beetle in the WH.

linda22003
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
STock Market is up. not really sure what to make of that but i do know it rises in spite of the dung beetle in the WH.

Which stock market are you looking at? The Dow Jones has been down all morning and is currently -71. It has nothing to do with the occupant of the WH - ever, really.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

We are. It's just that the media calls it "racism".

http://libertyledger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/tea-party-express-3.jpg

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM

The only asset class that is up is energy. The market as a whole is down.

Calypso Jones
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
well, i mean it is up from where it was a year ago. I don't really know that it doesn't have something to do with the president...not that HE causes it to go up but some of the things he's done, i've watched it take a nose dive.

linda22003
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
well, i mean it is up from where it was a year ago. I don't really know that it doesn't have something to do with the president...not that HE causes it to go up but some of the things he's done, i've watched it take a nose dive.

I'm guessing you're not very invested in the market. :o

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 02:33 PM

The Magic Negro and Helicopter Ben while creating huge amounts of debt have had a sizable impact on the decline of the dollar resulting in some commodities going parabolic in the last 2 years. Natural resource and agriculture Mutual funds, ETFs and ETNs come to mind.

linda22003
02-22-2011, 02:45 PM
... so I'm the only one who's doing well? :)

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM

I have done spectacularly well by putting all my eggs in commodities the last two years.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM

I'd be doing great if Mrs. O would let me invest. My average buy for silver was $20 an ounce over the course of a year. It's now just below $35. If she had let me buy in the amounts that I'd wanted to, when I wanted to, we'd have gone in heavily at $15 and tripled our investment.

linda22003
02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd be doing great if Mrs. O would let me invest. My average buy for silver was $20 an ounce over the course of a year. It's now just below $35. If she had let me buy in the amounts that I'd wanted to, when I wanted to, we'd have gone in heavily at $15 and tripled our investment.

Well, investment involves more than just gold and silver, of course. She won't "let" you? Why not?

Calypso Jones
02-22-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm VERY invested in the market. Why do you guess that? And also Real Estate. now THAT is the bummer at this time.

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, investment involves more than just gold and silver

Betting the farm on one commodity works out sometimes. My uncle borrowed, begged and stole every dime he could get his hands on to become an owner in a wildcat oil well. It hit and he never hit a day of work after that. Bought a fine house, a rock for his wife that would choke a horse and drove a new Lincoln every year.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Well, investment involves more than just gold and silver, of course. She won't "let" you? Why not?

She's from Wales, and never really had money to invest. She sees savings as the safest way to protect money, but doesn't understand that inflation destroys savings. And, by "let", I mean that if I buy it and she finds out, I will have an earful that will never end. No matter how right I am, I cannot prove it. A doubling of our money hasn't convinced her that I was right.

Rebel Yell
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM

If your pack of Camel Cigarettes say, "Smooth American Blend", you are probably in a tribe.

Madisonian
02-22-2011, 05:12 PM
If your pack of Camel Cigarettes say, "Smooth American Blend", you are probably in a tribe.

If you can trace your ancestors to the 7th century because you still live in the same cave as they did, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have more than 1 wife and at least 1 of them has not reached puberty, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have more than 2 brothers, 3 uncles and a goat named Muhammad, you are probably in a tribe.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
If you can trace your ancestors to the 7th century because you still live in the same cave as they did, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have more than 1 wife and at least 1 of them has not reached puberty, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have more than 2 brothers, 3 uncles and a goat named Muhammad, you are probably in a tribe.

If your brothers are also your in-laws, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have the same family name as your country's president, foreign minister, chief of police and defense minister, and you've had a place at the military academy reserved for you since birth, you're probably in a tribe.

If you meet your wife for the first time during your wedding, you're probably in a tribe.

If you refer to your second wife and you're still married to your first, you're probably in a tribe.

If your nearest female relative can't leave the house without you, you're probably in a tribe.

If you eat out, and have to get a booster seat for one of your wives, you're probably in a tribe.

If your wife orders from the children's menu and you qualify for the senior discount, you're either a Hollywood movie mogul or you're in a tribe.

namvet
02-22-2011, 06:10 PM

both Venezuela and Gaddafi duck deny it

namvet
02-22-2011, 06:12 PM

I have for years. sooner or later the ME wells will be blown up. and then ??? back to horse and cart.

Madisonian
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
If your brothers are also your in-laws, you are probably in a tribe.

If you have the same family name as your country's president, foreign minister, chief of police and defense minister, and you've had a place at the military academy reserved for you since birth, you're probably in a tribe.

If you meet your wife for the first time during your wedding, you're probably in a tribe.

If you refer to your second wife and you're still married to your first, you're probably in a tribe.

If your nearest female relative can't leave the house without you, you're probably in a tribe.

If you eat out, and have to get a booster seat for one of your wives, you're probably in a tribe.

If your wife orders from the children's menu and you qualify for the senior discount, you're either a Hollywood movie mogul or you're in a tribe.

If the words "camel toe" make you think of... well, a camel, you are probably in a tribe.

If you think Goats Head Soup is a delicacy and not a Rolling Stones album, you are probably in a tribe.

If you consider foreplay as a camel spitting on you, you are probably in a tribe.

If Ali Baba and the 40 thieves describes your family tree, you are probably in a tribe.

If your head gear and personal hygiene towel are one in the same, you may be in a tribe.

djones520
02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Moved to GD, since he's still in Tripoli, and isn't fleeing to Venezuala.