PDA

View Full Version : " Starving N. Korea Embassies and Diplomatic Offices Beg for Food ."

megimoo
02-22-2011, 05:31 AM
TOKYO - North Korea recently took the unusual step of begging for food handouts from the foreign governments it usually threatens....Plagued by floods, an outbreak of a livestock disease and a brutal winter, the government ordered its embassies and diplomatic offices around the world to seek help.

The request has put the United States and other Western countries in the uncomfortable position of having to decide whether to ignore the pleas of a starving country or pump food into a corrupt distribution system that often gives food to those who need it least.....The United States, which suspended its food aid to North Korea two years ago amid concerns about transparency, "has no plans for any contributions at this time," said Kurt Campbell, the State Department's top East Asia official.

Meanwhile, the U.N. World Food Program, responsible for much of the food aid in North Korea, said its current food supply could sustain operations in the communist country for only another month...."We're certainly hopeful that new donations will be coming in the upcoming weeks," said Marcus Prior, the WFP's spokesman in Asia.

Next month, the WFP plans to complete an assessment of North Korea's food situation - a report that could influence how foreign governments respond. But few doubt that North Korea's 24 million people need food.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/19/AR2011021901953.html?hpid=artslot

AmPat
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Let them eat cake.:mad:

Apocalypse
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
You know 0bama will race the food to the NK's and apologies for how uncaring we have been.

lacarnut
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
If they get hungry enough, they will start rioting, and hopefully overthrow their corrupt government.

Rockntractor
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
How much could it possibly cost to send a couple of ship loads of tree bark to N. Korea?:rolleyes:

megimoo
02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
How much could it possibly cost to send a couple of ship loads of tree bark to N. Korea?:rolleyes:Glorious leader ate those giant rabbits the Germans sent him for breeding .If we send a ship load of pregnant big bunnies they would overrun the entire country and feed the people !

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Kimchee. Let them eat Kimchee. :D

megimoo
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Kimchee. Let them eat Kimchee. :DThe giant rabbits ate all of the cabbage..

Novaheart
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Let them surrender to South Korea or submit to China.

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Let them surrender to South Korea or submit to China.

They won't.

What we ought to do, and what our current administration will not do, is offer aid in return for a complete shutdown of their nuclear program and weapons exports, with full access and verification, the first shipment of food to arrive after the first inspection team completes its work. A country that can't feed its own people can't afford a nuclear weapons program, and a country that wants our help has no business biting the hand that feeds it by arming our enemies.

AmPat
02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
They won't.

What we ought to do, and what our current administration will not do, is offer aid in return for a complete shutdown of their nuclear program and weapons exports, with full access and verification, the first shipment of food to arrive after the first inspection team completes its work. A country that can't feed its own people can't afford a nuclear weapons program, and a country that wants our help has no business biting the hand that feeds it by arming our enemies.

1st things first:

Congratulations on your promotion. Will you be frocked?

2nd- I was in Korea when the NORKS were given a first of three shipments consisting of 3000 head of cattle (gratis by the then CEO of Hyundai). Some of the cows ate the baling twine which eventually killed them. The NORKS demanded replacements. I would have stopped the subsequent shipments but the bleeding heart liberal SK's sent the others with replacements.

All that niceness does is embolden the NORKS.:mad:

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 09:50 AM
1st things first:

Congratulations on your promotion. Will you be frocked?

2nd- I was in Korea when the NORKS were given a first of three shipments consisting of 3000 head of cattle (gratis by the then CEO of Hyundai). Some of the cows ate the baling twine which eventually killed them. The NORKS demanded replacements. I would have stopped the subsequent shipments but the bleeding heart liberal SK's sent the others with replacements.

All that niceness does is embolden the NORKS.:mad:

Thanks, but the promotion order is still waiting, hence the (P). As near as I can tell, HRC is waiting on the BN CMD board results. Cross your fingers.

You have to love the arrogance. "We killed the cattle you gave us for free. Obviously, they were defective. We demand more." :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
02-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Not only do they eat tree bark they eat leaves and grass, we could send them our lawn clippings!

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Not only do they eat tree bark they eat leaves and grass, we could send them our lawn clippings!

We can set up a charity: Mulch for Korea!

On the plus side, I can tell my daughters that there are people starving in North Korea, so they'd better eat their vegetables. It sounds much better than telling them that there are supermodels starving themselves in Beverly Hills. :D

Sonnabend
02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
So it'll be COLONEL soon. :D

W0000t :D

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
So it'll be COLONEL soon. :D

W0000t :D

Thanks, but it's LIEUTENANT COLONEL, and we're still waiting on the order. I'm promotable as of the last selection board.

noonwitch
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
They won't.

That's too simple and easy for any politician to understand.

Odysseus
02-24-2011, 01:09 PM
That's too simple and easy for any politician to understand.

Some understand it. Just not any in this administration.

noonwitch
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Some understand it. Just not any in this administration.

But I have a great new idea for a reality show, and you are my ideal host. The same thing you said about North Korea needing food, but paying for nukes applies to welfare recipients who live in shitholes and scrounge all the charities for food givaways, but buy their kids Air Jordans, Wiis, and 50 inch flat screen televisions.

Welfare Reform, with a really tough host/MC. You'll make Jeff Probst look like the wuss that he is.

NJCardFan
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks, but the promotion order is still waiting, hence the (P). As near as I can tell, HRC is waiting on the BN CMD board results. Cross your fingers.

You have to love the arrogance. "We killed the cattle you gave us for free. Obviously, they were defective. We demand more." :rolleyes:

Will we be calling you Lt. Colonel?

Rockntractor
02-24-2011, 03:48 PM

Colonel LT same great taste as a Colonel with half the calories?:)

Bailey
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks, but it's LIEUTENANT COLONEL, and we're still waiting on the order. I'm promotable as of the last selection board.

So will you command a battalion or regiment if you get promoted?

Odysseus
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
But I have a great new idea for a reality show, and you are my ideal host. The same thing you said about North Korea needing food, but paying for nukes applies to welfare recipients who live in shitholes and scrounge all the charities for food givaways, but buy their kids Air Jordans, Wiis, and 50 inch flat screen televisions.

Welfare Reform, with a really tough host/MC. You'll make Jeff Probst look like the wuss that he is.
I'd come up with an idea for a reality show a few years ago, but it's so non-PC that I can't imagine anyone doing it. Remember the TV show from the 60s, "The Millionaire"? Each episode involved a person getting $1 million from an anonymous benefactor and then the show followed them as the money changed their lives. It was fiction, but I thought that doing it for real would be a great reality show. Pick a half-dozen people, give them $1 million after taxes and follow them with a camera for a year. What would make it truly compelling (and therefore non-PC) would be picking the trashiest people that you could find for recipients. Think of the people who appear on Jerry Springer, with a million bucks to spend, and no constraints except their taste and consciences, i.e., no constraints.

The Army abreviation is LTC. The Marines and Air Force use Lt. Col. But I'll still be Ody. In fact, the only one who will make it a point to call me "colonel" will be Mrs. O, just before she tells me that it's my turn to clean out the catbox.

Colonel LT same great taste as a Colonel with half the calories?:)

They're actually called Light Colonels, or Light Birds in some circles, and I've always made the same joke.

Apache
02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
All the same, CONGRATULATIONS sir!:D

lacarnut
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Congrats on your promotion to Lt. Col. With the extra income you can tell your wife that your superiors ordered you to invest a partial amount in silver/gold. Say 10%. ;):)

Odysseus
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
All the same, CONGRATULATIONS sir!:D

Congrats on your promotion to Lt. Col. With the extra income you can tell your wife that your superiors ordered you to invest a partial amount in silver/gold. Say 10%. ;):)

Thanks. I'll post pictures when I pin on (or velcro on, as we now do). I've already broached the subject of putting some of the additional pay into silver. Hopefully, the order will come down before the dollar collapses. :D