PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Warships to Pass Through Suez Canal — Israel Calls it a ‘Provocation’

megimoo
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
"They must sail Past Israel in a clear provocation.. Israel Must in return provoke Iran by stopping and boarding the ships off her coast and Inspecting their cargo's !"

Iran just threw gasoline on an already raging fire in the Middle East. According to reports, two Iranian warships have set out for Syria and are planning on using the Suez Canal, a route that would bring it dangerously close to Israel, to get there. Israel is considering the move an act of “provocation” that it may not be able to “ignore.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman told the Post the planned crossing of the Suez by the Iranian ships is a “provocation that proves that the overconfidence of the Iranians is growing from day to day.”

“The international community needs to understand that Israel will not be able to ignore these provocations forever,” he added.

The Israel Navy will be tracking two Iranian warships as they make a rare crossing of the Suez Canal late Wednesday night and sail into the Mediterranean Sea.

The two ships will cross into the Mediterranean Sea on their way to Syria. Defense officials said that Israel would track the ships but that their presence in the sea would not change anything for the Navy’s operational deployment.

“It is strange for the Iranian Navy to use the Suez Canal since it really doesn’t have anything to look for in the Mediterranean Sea,” one unnamed official told the Post.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/iranian-warships-to-pass-through-suez-canal-israel-calls-it-a-provocation/

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
What happens if they decide to pay a port call to Gaza?

megimoo
02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
What happens if they decide to pay a port call to Gaza?
With an Israeli sub loaded with MK 48' torpedos up their butts they wont get very far !

Odysseus
02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
With an Israeli sub loaded with MK 48' torpedos up their butts they wont get very far !

It would have to be subs. A surface ship firing would not be deniable. Not that it would make any difference, Iran would blame anything that happened to their ships on Israel. If the captains got stoned and ran aground while dancing with each other and videotaping it, they'd still blame Israel.

PoliCon
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
They want a war with Israel. They will do what ever they can to get it - especially now. Nothing would unite the muslim world right now quite like killing some Jews. :(

djones520
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
They want a war with Israel. They will do what ever they can to get it - especially now. Nothing would unite the muslim world right now quite like killing some Jews. :(

Maybe not. I mentioned this before, but it seems that the reason the Arab world has such a beef with Israel, was because the heads of state where using them as a scape goat, directing attention away from their own bad policies.

If the Arab people truly are waking up to the truth of the situation, then it may not be a flash point. Especially if it's Iran pulling the trigger. Arabs and Persians have never been friends, especially in the Muslim world.

megimoo
02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
It would have to be subs. A surface ship firing would not be deniable. Not that it would make any difference, Iran would blame anything that happened to their ships on Israel. If the captains got stoned and ran aground while dancing with each other and videotaping it, they'd still blame Israel.

But Israel can't afford to be seen as the aggressor to the western world.Screw the Arabs .No matter who,where or why it started, Israel would always get the blame from those Arab critters.

You Nuka Me, I Nuka you but remember my nukes are really much bigger than yours and much closer !

PoliCon
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Maybe not. I mentioned this before, but it seems that the reason the Arab world has such a beef with Israel, was because the heads of state where using them as a scape goat, directing attention away from their own bad policies.

If the Arab people truly are waking up to the truth of the situation, then it may not be a flash point. Especially if it's Iran pulling the trigger. Arabs and Persians have never been friends, especially in the Muslim world.

except even when muslims live free of their overlords - like in Europe - they still behave the same way - looking to kill Jews.

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
But Israel can't afford to be seen as the aggressor to the western world.Screw the Arabs .No matter who,where or why it started, Israel would always get the blame from those Arab critters.

You Nuka Me, I Nuka you but remember my nukes are really much bigger than yours and much closer !
This is true. Israel needs to accept the fact that those who hate Jews will always blame them for any action that delays their deaths at the hands of the faithful. If the Israelis lined up on the coast, joined hands and marched into the sea in a mass suicide, the Jew-haters would accuse them of polluting the Mediterranean and demand that the last survivors clean up the mess before finding an eco-friendly way to kill themselves so that the Arabs wouldn't have to touch their bodies when they take over the land.

except even when muslims live free of their overlords - like in Europe - they still behave the same way - looking to kill Jews.

I have come to expect this from Muslims. The Qur'an, Hadiths and Sunnah are riven with anti-Semitic ravings and they imbibe them from birth. What pisses me off is that the grandchildren of the generation that saw the Holocaust firsthand are aiding and abetting the next one.

Starbuck
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't expect anything good from this. But I have more questions than answers.

Why should Iranian vessels not sail into the Mediterranean? The sea lanes are, and should always be, free to anyone who wishes to pass. No questions asked.

Now, if you have a problem with what they are doing or carrying, that becomes another matter, but if Iranians want to sail all over the Med, let 'em. It's not like they are ever going to be out of sight. Their movements are always going to be monitored.

Novaheart
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

It's a shame so many Israelis would die. Iran attacking Israel might be a wonderful opportunity for America and Europe to purge themselves of the Islamic cancer infecting us.

Bailey
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
It's a shame so many Israelis would die. Iran attacking Israel might be a wonderful opportunity for America and Europe to purge themselves of the Islamic cancer infecting us.

Let's get rid of the ghey first :cool:

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Why should Iranian vessels not sail into the Mediterranean? The sea lanes are, and should always be, free to anyone who wishes to pass. No questions asked.

Now, if you have a problem with what they are doing or carrying, that becomes another matter, but if Iranians want to sail all over the Med, let 'em. It's not like they are ever going to be out of sight. Their movements are always going to be monitored.

The Suez Canal is owned by Egypt. They have not permitted Iranian warships to cross into the Med because they have not been on friendly terms since the collapse of the Shah and the Sadat/Begin peace treaty. If they are allowing Iranian military vessels to go through the canal, it means that their allegiance has already shifted. If Iran can cross through the canal, then they have access to Gaza, and they will happily force the blockade.

megimoo
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM

It's the 'timing' that's the problem.The gulf in in an uprising from Egypt to Saudi Arabia.In Shia Eschatology the Iranians believe that the twelfth Imam,Muhammad al-Mahdii, will come if the world is in an uproar so they invoke their military to provoke Israel hoping to trick them into a first strike to push things over the edge !

Arroyo_Doble
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
The Suez Canal is owned by Egypt. They have not permitted Iranian warships to cross into the Med because they have not been on friendly terms since the collapse of the Shah and the Sadat/Begin peace treaty. If they are allowing Iranian military vessels to go through the canal, it means that their allegiance has already shifted. If Iran can cross through the canal, then they have access to Gaza, and they will happily force the blockade.

That is new to me. I had not realized the Iranian military had attempted to use the Suez since the fall of the Shah.

Arroyo_Doble
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
The interference with Israeli ships and cargoes is a clear violation of:

(a) The Suez Canal Convention of 1888, which guaranteed that the Canal would always be "free and open, in time of war as in time of peace, to every vessel of commerce or of war, without distinction of flag. The Canal shall never be subject to the exercise of the right of blockade." As stated in Article XI of that Convention, even measures for the defence of Egypt which it might take under Article X do not interfere with the free use of the Canal.

~ Statement by Foreign Minister Golda Meir to the General Assembly- 24 September 1959

The Link (http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Foreign+Relations/Israels+Foreign+Relations+since+1947/1947-1974/13+Continuing+Egyptian+Blockade+of+the+Suez+Canal-.htm)

If the Convention is still in effect, I am not sure how Egypt can deny the passage to the Iranians.

Odysseus
02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
That is new to me. I had not realized the Iranian military had attempted to use the Suez since the fall of the Shah.
They haven't. The Islamic regime and Egypt had no diplomatic relations since 1979. But Iran made the request and the Egyptian military was too committed to dealing with the protests to refuse.

The interference with Israeli ships and cargoes is a clear violation of:

(a) The Suez Canal Convention of 1888, which guaranteed that the Canal would always be "free and open, in time of war as in time of peace, to every vessel of commerce or of war, without distinction of flag. The Canal shall never be subject to the exercise of the right of blockade." As stated in Article XI of that Convention, even measures for the defence of Egypt which it might take under Article X do not interfere with the free use of the Canal.

~ Statement by Foreign Minister Golda Meir to the General Assembly- 24 September 1959

The Link (http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Foreign+Relations/Israels+Foreign+Relations+since+1947/1947-1974/13+Continuing+Egyptian+Blockade+of+the+Suez+Canal-.htm)
If the Convention is still in effect, I am not sure how Egypt can deny the passage to the Iranians.
Egypt repudiated the Convention in 1951, then, in 1956, when they nationalized the canal, Egypt exercised sole sovereignty over it. Nasser repeatedly closed the Canal to Israeli shipping.